James Harden to the Raptors

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

James Harden to the Raptors 

Post#1 » by crazybranman360 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Preface
-Because Harden has 3 years left on his contract, the Rockets ultimately have leverage over where to trade him.
-the 76ers and Nets won't give any other their stars to get Harden. With Hardens 40+ mil salary they would basically have a big 3 and no depth. I think both teams would be hestitant to go all in on Harden. Unless Simmons or Embiid is on the table...
-So, I believe the Raptors can offer a better deal than the Nets (Lavert/Dinwiddie/Allen/Picks) and offer Harden a better roster in the medium term

Trade
Fred Van Vleet (15-20 mil) + Norman Powell + OG + 2 First (2020 + 2022) for James Harden

Rationale
-Rockets: I think the Raps package is on its face better than the Nets (FVV=Dinwiddie, OG=LaVert, Norm>Allen). I'm also skeptical the Nets will give up that much. So then the question is, will there be a better package year from now? Probably not. Remember that they can't tank so they need young players with upside and picks. They get 3 proven rotation players that could get better with bigger rules. Plus 2 picks to replace the ones they lost from Westbrook. If they can get another 1st out of the Westbrook trade, then could have a normal amount of assets for a rebuilding team and start the post-Harden era sooner rather than later.

-Raptors: Harden gives them a legit chance to win the East. You can build around Harden/Siakum/Nurse for the next 3-5 years. If Kyle Lowry restructures his contract or takes a discount next year then they could add another piece.

-Harden: Go to a proven championship organization. The Nets + Raptors would be an awkward fit with their existing stars. Neither franchise has had any major success under their current regimes. A partnership with Masai + Nurse is in his interest. He has never really been beloved by an fan base but, he could increase his global brand in Toronto.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Re: James Harden to the Raptors 

Post#2 » by GutUNC » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:17 pm

That last a pretty big assumption followed by an offer that’s light some 1sts. I’m sure Houston would prefer a more far off 1st then the ones the Raptors have while they have Harden.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
GDTBATH
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#3 » by PhillyNj » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:19 pm

The premise here is wrong. Harden has all the leverage. In the nba the stars run the league!
Harden also has a no trade clause so the Rockets can’t send him anywhere without his approval.
3rd. Hardens last year is a player option, which he can easily decline.
The raptors run is over no chance in hell he goes there.
He will end up on 1 of three teams:
1. Sixer s probably have the best assets.
2. nets , Harden and Durant are old friends
3. Miami, no state tax is hugh for an nba player.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#4 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:31 pm

PhillyNj wrote:The premise here is wrong. Harden has all the leverage. In the nba the stars run the league!
Harden also has a no trade clause so the Rockets can’t send him anywhere without his approval.

:-? Harden does not have a no trade clause. They’re extremely rare and usually designated for players on a one year contract. So they could send him anywhere, only teams would have some reluctance if he makes a stink or won’t resign. He does have a 15% trade kicker though that he may or may not waive.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
PhillyNj wrote:The premise here is wrong. Harden has all the leverage. In the nba the stars run the league!

:-? Harden does not have a no trade clause. They’re extremely rare and usually designated for players on a one year contract. So they could send him anywhere, only teams would have some reluctance if he makes a stink or won’t resign. He does have a 15% trade kicker though that he may or may not waive.

Hea already making the max so the kicker doesnt matter.

OP is illegal because fvv is byc and he wont go to the rockets. Also lacking tons of values for the rockets
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Who’s the last player to actually get a NTC written in? Did Kobe get one?

But unless it’s Pascal, OG, and a bunch of picks the Raptors won’t have a competitive offer.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#7 » by parsnips33 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 pm

Raptors have to try to make this happen at least (would need more picks, at a minimum) but like others have mentioned they might not have enough juice to beat other options

I think Harden would thrive in Toronto, and it'd be a better basketball fit than Philly and potentially Brooklyn
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#8 » by ThatBoyNick » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:49 pm

This is really awful for Houston.

Harden to the Raptors would be Siakam, OG + multiple 1st
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Post#9 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:This is really awful for Houston.

Harden doesn't have that value. Look at the front runner Nets deal. Dinwiddie, LaVert, Prince and Allen those four don't get Siakam let alone Anunoby and multiple firsts.

Toronto offer is one of VanVleet or Anunoby plus Powell first round picks.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:46 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:

Harden doesn't have that value. Look at the front runner Nets deal. Dinwiddie, LaVert, Prince and Allen those four don't get Siakam let alone Anunoby and multiple firsts.

I can say with complete confidence that you are being a delusional homer. Make a thread on Hardens value relative to the Raptors assets, I’ll leave the board forever if your package gets more votes then mine on which is more realistic for Harden.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#11 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:48 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

I can say with complete confidence that you are being a delusional homer. Make a thread on Hardens value relative to the Raptors assets, I’ll leave the board forever if you package gets more votes then mine on which is more realistic for Harden.

he's comparing to the nets package though, which admittedly is garbage as well. honestly dont know why they haven't taken simmons and call it a day yet. unless philly didnt offer simmons and is giving harris + picks lol
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:50 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote: Harden doesn't have that value. Look at the front runner Nets deal. Dinwiddie, LaVert, Prince and Allen those four don't get Siakam let alone Anunoby and multiple firsts.

I can say with complete confidence that you are being a delusional homer. Make a thread on Hardens value relative to the Raptors assets, I’ll leave the board forever if you package gets more votes then mine on which is more realistic for Harden.

he's comparing to the nets package though, which admittedly is garbage as well. honestly dont know why they haven't taken simmons and call it a day yet. unless philly didnt offer simmons and is giving harris + picks lol

The Rockets are probably still doing their due diligence on all the offers for him, are probably still considering to just keep him for the upcoming season. Trade packages for stars usually take a while to complete.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#13 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:56 am

crazybranman360 wrote:Preface
-Because Harden has 3 years left on his contract, the Rockets ultimately have leverage over where to trade him.
-the 76ers and Nets won't give any other their stars to get Harden. With Hardens 40+ mil salary they would basically have a big 3 and no depth. I think both teams would be hestitant to go all in on Harden. Unless Simmons or Embiid is on the table...
-So, I believe the Raptors can offer a better deal than the Nets (Lavert/Dinwiddie/Allen/Picks) and offer Harden a better roster in the medium term

Trade
Fred Van Vleet (15-20 mil) + Norman Powell + OG + 2 First (2020 + 2022) for James Harden

Rationale
-Rockets: I think the Raps package is on its face better than the Nets (FVV=Dinwiddie, OG=LaVert, Norm>Allen). I'm also skeptical the Nets will give up that much. So then the question is, will there be a better package year from now? Probably not. Remember that they can't tank so they need young players with upside and picks. They get 3 proven rotation players that could get better with bigger rules. Plus 2 picks to replace the ones they lost from Westbrook. If they can get another 1st out of the Westbrook trade, then could have a normal amount of assets for a rebuilding team and start the post-Harden era sooner rather than later.

-Raptors: Harden gives them a legit chance to win the East. You can build around Harden/Siakum/Nurse for the next 3-5 years. If Kyle Lowry restructures his contract or takes a discount next year then they could add another piece.

-Harden: Go to a proven championship organization. The Nets + Raptors would be an awkward fit with their existing stars. Neither franchise has had any major success under their current regimes. A partnership with Masai + Nurse is in his interest. He has never really been beloved by an fan base but, he could increase his global brand in Toronto.

the nets would not be close to hesistant to trading a trio of role players and picks for Harden.

I can see Harden traded to someone else, but it wont be to a team he DOESNT want to go to. and i dont see the raps being a team that would be on his list. philly makes sense with morey. nets make sense with KD. maybe it gets expanded
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#14 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:00 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:

A new GM rebuilding a team isnt going to dig his own grave day 1 by crossing a superstar. maybe a GM on his way out does that. they may not full out accomodate Harden by sending him to the nets for peanuts, but they wont send him somewhere he doesnt want to be. That GM would never sign a star/player with that agent, and Harden could probably even pull strings to F the guy over later. stars dont just run on court, they have power with agents and executives.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#15 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:00 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Who’s the last player to actually get a NTC written in? Did Kobe get one?

But unless it’s Pascal, OG, and a bunch of picks the Raptors won’t have a competitive offer.

KG had one. he had ot waive it to go to the nets
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:02 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote: Harden doesn't have that value. Look at the front runner Nets deal. Dinwiddie, LaVert, Prince and Allen those four don't get Siakam let alone Anunoby and multiple firsts.

The nets arent involved because of great assets. they are involved because its hardens preferred destination. if harden wanted to go to the hornets, it would be their weak package listed.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,787

Post#17 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:22 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:

Harden doesn't have that value.

Of course he does.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Post#18 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:27 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

I can say with complete confidence that you are being a delusional homer. Make a thread on Hardens value relative to the Raptors assets, I’ll leave the board forever if your package gets more votes then mine on which is more realistic for Harden.

Well let's go with your deal. Both OG Anunoby and Siakam would get you arguably the top 2 or 3 picks in this draft. Obviously if Toronto did your deal they have Lowry, Harden, Powell and nothing left. They have very little money in a really bad free agency class to try to build players around that team to make it work.

As for the deal I purposed and another did OG is a great piece back I dare say the best out of The Nets guys as well. Powell is no slouch and could be moved as an expiring deal for some sort of pick in the later first round in 21's draft. I get Harden is a star but he's said he wants out usually you don't get full value back. Also look at what Masai has done in terms of trades he knows how to spin his players I mean he got **** Kawhi Leonard who many considered as the best complete player in the game and a very good 3&D guy in Green for Poeltl (project big) and DeRozan who many on this board said was untradable and needed multiple firsts to move
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#19 » by GutUNC » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 am

Kawhi was hurt and had 1 year left on his deal. That’s not an apt comparison.

And the “you don’t get full value back for a star” argument applies to all the teams, not just your own. FVV S&T/Powell/Picks is a pretty easy one to top for a lot of teams who aren’t BKN or PHL.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
GDTBATH
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#20 » by dalton749 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:45 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:

Well let's go with your deal. Both OG Anunoby and Siakam would get you arguably the top 2 or 3 picks in this draft. Obviously if Toronto did your deal they have Lowry, Harden, Powell and nothing left. They have very little money in a really bad free agency class to try to build players around that team to make it work.

As for the deal I purposed and another did OG is a great piece back I dare say the best out of The Nets guys as well. Powell is no slouch and could be moved as an expiring deal for some sort of pick in the later first round in 21's draft. I get Harden is a star but he's said he wants out usually you don't get full value back. Also look at what Masai has done in terms of trades he knows how to spin his players I mean he got **** Kawhi Leonard who many considered as the best complete player in the game and a very good 3&D guy in Green for Poeltl (project big) and DeRozan who many on this board said was untradable and needed multiple firsts to move

The only way a deal would make any sense is if Lowry is the key piece going out for Toronto. My best offer for the raps would be:

Lowry to Philly
Harden to Toronto
Horford, Powell, T Davis, #21, #29, 2022 Raps 1st, 2024 Raps 1st.

This way the raps can go into next season with:
Vanvleet
Harden
OG
Siakam
Ibaka

That is a legit contender for Toronto, meanwhile Philly gets their hometown leader for horford and a 1st while ultimately deciding they don’t want to pay up for harden as they think they can get it done without mortgaging the future.

Houston gets two solid starters to remain competitive, a good prospect in Terence Davis and 4 1st round picks. I’m not sure that would be the winning offer, but I think it is as much as Toronto should reasonably offer before walking away. Sending OG or Siakam just doesn’t make sense.

Return to Trades and Transactions