The actual truth: Curry wins MVP this year, starting tonight

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,254

Re: The actual truth: Curry wins MVP this year, starting tonight 

Post#61 » by AussieCeltic » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:51 am

LouisLitt wrote:
Brooklyn91 wrote:
Balls Deep wrote:I think Curry is finished. I also think he is the biggest fraud in the history of the NBA and arguably in the history of sports. I say this because he convinced people he was as good or better than LeBron James, when in reality he has never proven he could do anything by himself. LeBron is Mr. "Put The Team On My Back Coach" and has consistently shown his greatness and carried scrubs to deep playoff runs multiple times. Only players that can do things like that should be compared to him.

Steph tricked the masses. He is the Keyzer Söze of the NBA.

Steph got 3 rangs off Bron and changed the game of basketball. Put some respekt on his name

With 0 FMVP's. Yet another thing Curry gets a pass for.

KD was the reason this was all possible.

He stays in OKC and you're looking at one ring from a 6 game series with Kyrie and Love out.

He should’ve been FMVP in 15. The fact Iggy got it still bewilders me.

He also dropped 28/7/7 in 17. Was unlucky not to get it then as well.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,359

Post#62 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:54 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:
Brooklyn91 wrote:Steph got 3 rangs off Bron and changed the game of basketball. Put some respekt on his name

He stays in OKC and you're looking at one ring from a 6 game series with Kyrie and Love out.

I don't know man, Zack Lowe didn't vote for Curry to be Finals MVP. I think his opinion really damages Curry's legacy /s
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,766

Post#63 » by homecourtloss » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:00 am

Curry wilding today. Draymond healthy has played excellent defense. Could get interesting.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
art_tatum
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,159

Post#64 » by art_tatum » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:01 am

MarxyLebronist wrote:
art_tatum wrote:1 game. But curry should look to be this aggressive starting games. He usually doesn't look for his shot early but I guess he is motivated tonight (Dillard's comments). Imo it will help with their bad starts if he starts the games looking to drive to the basket vs setting people up with his off ball running.

When they give up the myth that he's a point guard, it's a more natural look.
To wit: 1 AST, 2 TO at the half.

He can be( has been) a good pg, topping at 8.5 asts before the start inflation era, with Mark Jackson using him as a pick and roll pg.

but kerr is utilizing him differently since green is the point forward, curry is a lot more off ball 2015 and beyond.
art_tatum
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by art_tatum » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:02 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:

I don't know man, Zack Lowe didn't vote for Curry to be Finals MVP. I think his opinion really damages Curry's legacy /s

They didn't understand curry new game and the warriors system in 2015. If they voted today with the concept of gravity and offball, curry creating all the 4v3 action he would get the fmvp. Even at the time it looked crazy, he was 3rd all time in 4th quarter scoring and was the reason they pulled away late. He played too much off ball ( cavs just grabbed and doubled him, he finally played on ball and they beat the cavs in the 4th).

Narratives was about Iggy and lebron tho.
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#66 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:11 am

art_tatum wrote:
MarxyLebronist wrote:
art_tatum wrote:1 game. But curry should look to be this aggressive starting games. He usually doesn't look for his shot early but I guess he is motivated tonight (Dillard's comments). Imo it will help with their bad starts if he starts the games looking to drive to the basket vs setting people up with his off ball running.

He can be( has been) a good pg, topping at 8.5 asts before the start inflation era, with Mark Jackson using him as a pick and roll pg.

but kerr is utilizing him differently since green is the point forward, curry is a lot more off ball 2015 and beyond.

He's no point guard.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,078

Post#67 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:12 am

Apologize to the OP right now.

Jk lol
art_tatum
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by art_tatum » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:14 am

MarxyLebronist wrote:
art_tatum wrote:
MarxyLebronist wrote:

He's no point guard.

That's just not true. Lol I thought youre a curry stan? Did you watch him before 2015?
Also no one is a pure point guard like nash anymore.. Rubio?
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#69 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:16 am

1 down, 1 to go tomorrow and that'll be it for me here. Thanks.
I already paid for League Pass and NBA TV since I so enjoyed the bubble, but I'm already seeing that this season will be a pointless exercise in bratty score settling and bad narratives. At least the idiotic Luka/Trae "debate" can die a quiet death though.
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#70 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:17 am

art_tatum wrote:
MarxyLebronist wrote:
art_tatum wrote:

He's no point guard.

That's just not true. Lol I thought youre a curry stan? Did you watch him before 2015?

He got his second AST just now. Good job!
4 TO. One of them almost as bad as the title he threw away behind his back in 2016.
But he's the nerds' MVP GOAT and it's in the bag. I wonder if he'll try for 10 assists to make a point.
art_tatum
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by art_tatum » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:20 am

MarxyLebronist wrote:
art_tatum wrote:
MarxyLebronist wrote:
He's no point guard.

He got his second AST just now. Good job!
4 TO. One of them almost as bad as the title he threw away behind his back in 2016.
But he's the nerds' MVP GOAT and it's in the bag. I wonder if he'll try for 10 assists to make a point.

Wait so youre a lebron stan who pretended to be a curry stan, making a curry thread championing him with ridiculous expectations, so that other posters will come in and attack him?
Damn lol get a life.
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#72 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:22 am

No, I mean it 100%. They're winning tonight and tomorrow, and they're making the playoffs not as a play-in, and he's being given his third MVP.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#73 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:25 am

good job op lol but steph not getting mvp this season tho
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,811

Post#74 » by Patches Perry » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:25 am

Good call!
Purple_Hero
Freshman
And1: 98

Post#75 » by Purple_Hero » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:25 am

MarxyLebronist wrote:I've enjoyed helping stoke and also put out these fires about Iverson vs. Curry, Lebron vs..... every single greatest ever apparently? Etc.
But the truth is that the storylines and shame point scores are far too clearly drafted by the league.

Talk of "underdog" this and "no help that," ad nauseam so far this season after a really restful Warriors hype-free bubble and offseason is tipping the hand. I'm no gambler, but I imagine it's going to be wise to bet on Curry for MVP here near future, if not already, and bets on everyone else will be in and pocketed to make it a nice profit for the house regardless.

And I absolutely expect the Warriors to dominate the Blazers tonight. The one hedge I'll offer: even if it's only a narrow win tonight, it will be perfect to get started with and they will ABSOLUTELY demolish the Kings tomorrow night. I came into the season hoping to see some changes for the Kings, and I certainly love Haliburton's game so far. But they're going to get clocked hardcore tomorrow night and are not playoff locks by any stretch obviously. Wish it were otherwise, though that arena deal hostage situation on Sacramento's head earns you some bad karma perhaps. Warriors, from the top through the players' locker room, are aiming at a specific standings window to maximize "assets," and that window is, roughly, a play-in playoff team that keeps its own pick while also adding MIN's. But I expect them to not have to play-in at all, for reasons, and to also help solidify the complicit and nerd voters' case for doing what they want to do already and give Curry another MVP to win the argument.

So there's my locked in pick for the season, in a season that I'd be hard pressed to make many other calls on- Lakers are no title lock, 76ers may indeed keep rolling as is, Harden may choose to stay and see what they can cook up all together down there in HOU, after all that noise. But this amount of chaos and the insane scoring (no take on blowouts just yet, but those were so quickly downplayed that they smell funny too) plays into the usual weak storywriters' "twist" and "disruption" hands, and that outcome is pretty much always actually very uninteresting. Most billionaires have tiny imaginations outside of the one thing they're very good at: controlling all the capital.

I don't know what a "small market" could even be in such a collusive, global, profit-sharing structure, but I do know that cities that struggle to appeal alongside the rich megaliths like LA, NY, CHI, MIA?, DAL, Bay Area, are what we really mean. ATL does not count at all as a small or undesirable market, for but one example of a lame season outcome that could be produced this year. I would be comfortable making ATL my title call, by this logic, though I don't actually think you could "sell" that since their talent isn't good enough and also they deserve some bad karma for all their blocky FA work. Where have wee seen that before lol. But we shall see.

I see CLE and DET as the only two of those to have a title in the past 30 seasons.

Curry "rising up" (from being the highest paid player in the league and a supposed GOAT?) this year and proving all tha haterz wrong would be the most predictable, snotty, Hollywood formula outcome for my money, and so that's where I'm putting it with my deep expertise in narrative and cultural analysis.

If Golden State holds on.. good call OP. Let's see how the Warriors play tomorrow.
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#76 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:26 am

There is one potential wrinkle in my call: They're probably going to sit him tomorrow night.
Not sure what I think about that for the Warriors winning in a boat race, though the Kings will be without their best (or at least smartest) player in Haliburton. SAC has all sorts of problems they do nothing to correct, but they have some guys who can score in buckets for sure. Sticking with it, and no worries if I have to chronicle the Rise of Curry and enjoy telling everyone I Told You So for two weeks before heading off into the sunset.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,460

Post#77 » by Domejandro » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:33 am

Dude, I'm kind of strapped for cash. Could you PM me next week's lottery numbers? Thanks, bro!
SamSepiol
Rookie
And1: 3,618

Post#78 » by SamSepiol » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:46 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:
Brooklyn91 wrote:Steph got 3 rangs off Bron and changed the game of basketball. Put some respekt on his name

Nike being a much bigger company and one that the media might have some type of stake (stock) in over a smaller UnderArmor is the only reason that I can think of.
Besides the media wanting to keep every narrative about all things with Lebron. And Curry vs Lebron was not the matchup. (Iggy was)

OP on point though
MarxyLebronist
Senior

Post#79 » by MarxyLebronist » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:48 am

Thank goodness Dame Lillard has been poorly programmed to just spam 3s non stop from anywhere, or this game might have gotten too close for comfort tonight.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,455

Post#80 » by Big J » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:49 am

OP you must be loving this.

Return to The General Board