MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,544

Re: GT: DEN @ BRK || 01/12/21, 730pm EST 

Post#281 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:43 pm

Revived wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hill is 100% right. dont tell me i cant see my family during a pandemic and during white supremist terror attacks. who knows if you will ever see them again. as a black man, you are never gauranteed another day in this country

I am going to challenge you on this point here. I don't think that Hill is making this a racial issue per say. He is saying to the NBA that if he can't see his family when he pleases, then the situation isn't conducive to conducting league business.

I think he's 100% right in that regard. If we are being honest, the pandemic is raging out of control. Infections and deaths are higher than they have ever been. In the NBA microcosm, the players aren't being spared and dudes are being infected or are being quarantined due to contact tracing. Players who have already have had Covid are testing positive AGAIN. This is the complete opposite of the Bubble. This situation is actually making MLB and the NFL look like they knew what they were doing, as the NBA is now postponing multiple games.

This isn't about white supremacist terrorism here. I am with you obviously in your disgust for what happened last week in DC, and the aftermath in our country.

But in this case, this is about capitalism, and the NBA insisting on pushing forward into a situation that is unsustainable to keep money rolling in. All of this will end abruptly the moment that a player or coach who cannot handle Covid due to pre conditions or otherwise succumbs to the virus.

What you are saying is true but if George Hill felt that the pandemic and restrictions were too much for him then why didn’t he opt out of playing?

The NBA isn’t forcing a single player into playing. They all had the choice to opt out of this season.

Read on Twitter

I can't answer for him.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#282 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 pm

therealbig3 wrote:I think Jeff Green has been excellent btw, for what he cost and the role he was brought in to play.

I think his defense and hustle and outside shooting have been huge. He kind of can defend anyone, whether it's a wing or a big, and he's doing a lot of good things offensively.

Like, yeah, he had 4 TOs tonight, but he also hit 2 threes and was able to switch onto pretty much anyone and do a decent job. I think using him as a small ball 5 is one of our best lineups honestly. Wouldn't mind replacing DJ in the rotation with Green as the backup 5.

Given his versatility, I'm actually very surprised he keeps getting signed to the minimum and keeps bouncing around the league. He's very capable of being a really solid contributor for any contender.

I wasn't too thrilled about those stretches at small ball 5 tbh because we ended up giving up offensive rebounds, but otherwise Green has been a solid player

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#283 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 pm

Prokorov wrote:KD is back. like all the way back. His shot from deep still isnt falling but its there. he is running the floor and dunking all over the place and his crossovers are tight.

People hate on Jordan but he needs to play. Leverts game is really ineffective without the pick and roll and no one is respecting jeff green as a role man. Levet needs to start next to allen or DJ needs to play. otherwise we are minimizing levert.

So much talk about rebounding. turnovers are the only thing keeping us from being dominant. our efficiency on possesions that end with a FG attempt are all-time great. and much of our D issues are transition off those turnovers. we overcame it tonight... but you wont overcome 20 turnovers most nights. that will get better with more time together.

things are trending up. we could rip off 5,6,7 in a row once we click and we are right on the cusp

I agree. As bad as he is, Jordan still warrants minutes. We need his rebounding and on offense he still is okay as a passer and roll man

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#284 » by Stone » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Great game.....one of the best of this season. A come from behind win against one of the leagues top teams.

KD really showed everyone why he is one of the top players in the league. He just missed a triple double. Did anyone else notice the Joey Buckets fist pump after KD hit the dagger three?....... :lol:

Surprising that DJ got DNP against Joker no less. Big Jay did have some huge plays but all in all his performance was just average.

Bruce Brown was a difference maker. Cutting through screens, forcing turnovers. He also hit some big big shots. He knew it too, he reminded me of Vince after hitting them with the big smile.

Our bench put up 43 points and they deserve a lot of the credit for the win as well.

That third quarter was the best defense we played so far this season.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#285 » by Sharcm1 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:33 pm

I like that dj didn’t play. Good move by Nash. Jokic would have just lit him up from three the whole time,
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#286 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:01 pm

I'm surprised you guys are so quick to get DJ back in the rotation. That was the first time that 2nd unit played together. After a ROUGH first half, they started clicking offensively. They struggled a bit on the boards but I'll take that 1000% over our center getting beat and giving up layups. Or letting guys walk into comfortable jumpshots. Denver had to work for their buckets in the 2nd half.

I like DJ as a person but he needs to be used on a matchup type basis. Jokic is an elite post player but his real damage comes on passing and handoffs and pick and pops. If DJ was in the game, Jamal Murray would've been walking into open jump shots all day.

I think DJ - for whatever reason - came into the season slightly out of shape and he's paying the price. If he was on the open market, he'd be a minimum / Whiteside type player. We need to start treating him like that. He needs to stay ready and be a leader for the team.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#287 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Revived wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hill is 100% right. dont tell me i cant see my family during a pandemic and during white supremist terror attacks. who knows if you will ever see them again. as a black man, you are never gauranteed another day in this country

I am going to challenge you on this point here. I don't think that Hill is making this a racial issue per say. He is saying to the NBA that if he can't see his family when he pleases, then the situation isn't conducive to conducting league business.

I think he's 100% right in that regard. If we are being honest, the pandemic is raging out of control. Infections and deaths are higher than they have ever been. In the NBA microcosm, the players aren't being spared and dudes are being infected or are being quarantined due to contact tracing. Players who have already have had Covid are testing positive AGAIN. This is the complete opposite of the Bubble. This situation is actually making MLB and the NFL look like they knew what they were doing, as the NBA is now postponing multiple games.

This isn't about white supremacist terrorism here. I am with you obviously in your disgust for what happened last week in DC, and the aftermath in our country.

But in this case, this is about capitalism, and the NBA insisting on pushing forward into a situation that is unsustainable to keep money rolling in. All of this will end abruptly the moment that a player or coach who cannot handle Covid due to pre conditions or otherwise succumbs to the virus.

What you are saying is true but if George Hill felt that the pandemic and restrictions were too much for him then why didn’t he opt out of playing?

The NBA isn’t forcing a single player into playing. They all had the choice to opt out of this season.

Read on Twitter

Because he wanted to play?

He is well within his right to play, and ignore protocol so long as he is willing to accept the backlash, which he seems pretty comfortable with. Between the pandemic and terrorist attacks its an unprecedented time. one where people should be standing up for what they believe and need, not what box someone put them in that a larger group agreed to without 100% concensus
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#288 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:I like that dj didn’t play. Good move by Nash. Jokic would have just lit him up from three the whole time,

If he played, he wouldnt have been on the court the same time as Jokic... maybe a minute or 2 overlap. Levert is nowhere near the same player without a real pick and roll big
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#289 » by Claud » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 pm

Huge comeback.

We looked dead in the 1st half and could have easily let go of the ropes but we played with a different intensity in the 2nd. Great team spirit + hustle was on display.

KD has been one of my fav players in the league for a long time... seeing him wearing our throwback unis and hitting a dagger took me back to when I'd play 2k and trade for KD lol. I still can't believe KD is a Net.

Bruce Brown was a difference maker last night. Hounded Murray + made tons of clutch shots/floaters in the 4th. He needs to play more. He elevates our defensive energy as a team. He still has wonky handles which hinders his potential as a starter but he can be an excellent role player for us a la Marcus Smart. He can still develop the handles + shooting.

Jokic absolutelly destroyed the Fro. Killed him. You could see the Fro looked shook. Growing pains for the Fro. He looked good vs. Gobert and Embiid but got cooked by the Joker. He did make some good defensive plays in the 4th but man the Joker is incredibly skilled.

Somewhat surprised DJ got 0 minutes and Nash went smallball with Green at the 5. DJ has been trash but at least he's 7ft. We will suffer on the boards with Green at the 5 but we can switch and contest much better not to mention on offense he spaces the floor. I think DJ is done, once Clax is back there's really no need for him anymore.

It's also good to see Caris string 4-5 good games in a row. He's historically a slow starter so no surprises there. I'm still unconvinced about his Manu/Harden role off the bench where his usage is insane but without Kyrie and Dinwiddie we need him to take on the load honestly. He just needs to continue to improve his efficiency as the season progresses.

Glad to see Joey Buckets continue to be on a tear. One of my favorite Nets player. Dude plays with 100% heart. So happy we kept him.

Our "others" also stepped up. Prince has been lowkey performing at his best level since becoming a Net, TLC actually made some shots last night, Green was just solid all around and even Shamet hit A SHOT. woof.

Excited to hakai the Knicks tonight :)
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#290 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:03 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I'm surprised you guys are so quick to get DJ back in the rotation. That was the first time that 2nd unit played together. After a ROUGH first half, they started clicking offensively. They struggled a bit on the boards but I'll take that 1000% over our center getting beat and giving up layups. Or letting guys walk into comfortable jumpshots. Denver had to work for their buckets in the 2nd half.

I like DJ as a person but he needs to be used on a matchup type basis. Jokic is an elite post player but his real damage comes on passing and handoffs and pick and pops. If DJ was in the game, Jamal Murray would've been walking into open jump shots all day.

I think DJ - for whatever reason - came into the season slightly out of shape and he's paying the price. If he was on the open market, he'd be a minimum / Whiteside type player. We need to start treating him like that. He needs to stay ready and be a leader for the team.

I am mainly thinking about rebounding. We gave up some critical offensive rebounds when we had Green and TLC under the basket.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#291 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:28 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I'm surprised you guys are so quick to get DJ back in the rotation. That was the first time that 2nd unit played together. After a ROUGH first half, they started clicking offensively. They struggled a bit on the boards but I'll take that 1000% over our center getting beat and giving up layups. Or letting guys walk into comfortable jumpshots. Denver had to work for their buckets in the 2nd half.

I am mainly thinking about rebounding. We gave up some critical offensive rebounds when we had Green and TLC under the basket.

That certainly didnt help, but i could live with the rebounding if it helped our offense. I think green at the 5 with KD and all smalls makes some sense at times. But I dont think our offense is better when its Levert in a small ball lineup with no KD. Levert is at his best in the pick and roll, not the pick and pop.... and while i love green he is what he is... and thats not an elite stretch big. I mean he shoots it well enough to keep you honest but not well enough to match going small or run your big at him at the 3 point line.

I'm all for Fro starting and getting the lions share of minutes. but he needs to be on the floor with levert and the bench
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#292 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:49 pm

Meh, we give up a ton of offensive rebounds with Jordan out there anyway, and our defense gets way worse. He's just a lazy player that doesn't box out or contest. Green is smaller, and we'll give up offensive boards because of that, but not because the guy isn't hustling and isn't at least trying to box out and trying to contest shots.

We routinely get killed in the paint with Jordan out there. It's not a coincidence.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#293 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Meh, we give up a ton of offensive rebounds with Jordan out there anyway, and our defense gets way worse. He's just a lazy player that doesn't box out or contest. Green is smaller, and we'll give up offensive boards because of that, but not because the guy isn't hustling and isn't at least trying to box out and trying to contest shots.

We routinely get killed in the paint with Jordan out there. It's not a coincidence.

Levert simply doesnt work as well without a pick and roll big. so you have to start levert or trade for another pick and roll big... or trade levert. Levert plus green at the 5 makes levert a chucker with no leverage on the D.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#294 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 pm

Prokorov wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Meh, we give up a ton of offensive rebounds with Jordan out there anyway, and our defense gets way worse. He's just a lazy player that doesn't box out or contest. Green is smaller, and we'll give up offensive boards because of that, but not because the guy isn't hustling and isn't at least trying to box out and trying to contest shots.

Levert simply doesnt work as well without a pick and roll big. so you have to start levert or trade for another pick and roll big... or trade levert. Levert plus green at the 5 makes levert a chucker with no leverage on the D.

Not sure why you're saying this after a game in which Jordan didn't play and Levert had one of his best all-around games of the season?
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#295 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:57 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Or give LeVert more than 10 minutes next to a stretch big before giving a blanket judgment. Our last "stretch 5" before Green was Jared Dudley. Your sample size is way too small. And even yesterday, he still ended up with an efficient 20 and 6.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#296 » by DarkXaero » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:08 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Not sure why you're saying this after a game in which Jordan didn't play and Levert had one of his best all-around games of the season?
I was about to say, Levert actually played well so a weird thing to point out. Green is a bad rebounder though (regardless of size) so I do think that he's not viable as backup C long term.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#297 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:09 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

He played ok, but we were a minus 1 with him on the floor. he didnt play great. 20 points on 15 shots. it helped that he hit a couple threes. but overall he struggled to find shots. and the good ones he did find where the few minutes with allen on the floor. hos nest offense is off the pick and roll. he isnt going to sustain above avg play taking isolation step back jumpers or drives into help.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#298 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Or give LeVert more than 10 minutes next to a stretch big before giving a blanket judgment. Our last "stretch 5" before Green was Jared Dudley. Your sample size is way too small. And even yesterday, he still ended up with an efficient 20 and 6.

20 points on 15 shots is ok, its not super efficient. thats an avg efficiency night for 20+ ppg.

i think caris could work next to a stretch 5 who is dangerous. not a league average or below 3-point shooter on low volume which is what green is. and leverts best offense is heavily pick and roll offense. he needs to force switches and hedges

and its all missing the point anyhow, its not a criticism of levert its a criticism of nash. levert had an avg night and we were a negative 1 with him on the floor. had he played more with allen/jordan he may have had a more efficient 25 and been a big positive
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#299 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:43 pm

I guess who Levert can or can't play with is a moot point now.

Return to Brooklyn Nets