ImageImageImageImageImage

The play by play broadcasting has been terrible

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,223

Re: The play by play broadcasting has been terrible 

Post#101 » by MoneyBall » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:43 am

I like Alvin, I just don't like him as a commentator. People saying he adds insight but I have yet to hear anything substantive. When Jack talks, he sounds at least happy to be there and invested in the game. Alvin sounds like he doesn't care one way or the other lol.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,675

Post#102 » by johanliebert » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:06 am

I’ve heard Leo over the years mention the tendencies of players/coaches, series or tactics by certain teams and just lil tidbits only a former pro/coach notices on the floor.

Now if they hired Alvin as a more analytically inclined colour commentator I’ve yet to hear it. The TSN broadcasts are a drag and tbh I don’t see Alvin returning next year if he doesn’t improve.
dandaman
Bench Warmer
And1: 993

Post#103 » by dandaman » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:22 am

Hit Em Up wrote:Alvin adds almost nothing. Not seeing any insight other than stating the obvious.

He does nothing well and is actually bad at almost everything you would want. Not a great speaker, doesn't talk about stats, doesn't provide any insight into plays, banter between him and Matt seem awkward and it seems like Matt is really trying to help him and cover up his faults, doesn't seem like he knows much about other teams other than obvious things, no good one-liners lol. Leo was way better IMO.

I remember watching the Knicks broadcast vs Raps the other day and their broadcasters were bring up stats about the Raptors that I never even knew.

100% ....where is this insight everyone is raving about lol, he states the obvious....just because he played in the league and jack and leo didnt doesnt make him understand the game any better....I am at a point where i get excited the game is on tsn knowing jack will be the colour....I hope they relegate alvin back to the studio or something, i dont wanna see the guy fired cause i loved him as a player
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 6,023

Post#104 » by Coco Costanza » Sat Nov 6, 2021 7:42 am

MoneyBall wrote:I like Alvin, I just don't like him as a commentator. People saying he adds insight but I have yet to hear anything substantive. When Jack talks, he sounds at least happy to be there and invested in the game. Alvin sounds like he doesn't care one way or the other lol.

I think his problem is he's attempting a professional, "commentator voice". Chris Webber tends to do that too when he's commentating, and you can just tell these guys don't really talk like that in private company, so it sounds forced. Jack, while often grating, at least sounds like he's being himself, not trying to put on voice. I think Alvin might be trying too hard to sound like a "proper" tv analyst that he ends up sounding even more unpolished, because of how unnatural he sounds, and he ends up tripping over his own words.

Ironically, I think Kendrick Perkins, who is maybe the least polished tv analyst working, probably gets regularly work because he sounds authentic. He's not doing, what Dave Chappelle would call a "job interview" voice.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
Darkseid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,397

Post#105 » by Darkseid » Sat Nov 6, 2021 8:47 am

I just want Matt and Jack every game

Why is that so hard
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,907

Post#106 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Nov 6, 2021 11:36 am

All need to be replaced. They need to bring the best in the game dan Shulman to replace Matt... then add another new face.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,995

Post#107 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:05 pm

Alvin's been good, and he was replacing someone that had nothing left to say.
lolekszmolek
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#108 » by lolekszmolek » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:11 pm

Alvin provides a non-intrusive and insightful contribution to the broadcast.
Prestige
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#109 » by Prestige » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:44 pm

I've noticed a steady decline in Devlin too. He used to sound more professional and polished when he first started, like he used to on US national TV. Then he slowly started becoming a homer with exaggerated shouting for every Raptor bucket. Another pet peeve is calling players by their first name. Sounds unprofessional. Play by play guys should strive to be objective and not just another fan of the team.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#110 » by Madhouse » Sat Nov 6, 2021 4:00 pm

Jack is still the best.

Alvin is saying the most obvious, casual stuff the entire game.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,034

Post#111 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:05 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:I've noticed a steady decline in Devlin too. He used to sound more professional and polished when he first started, like he used to on US national TV. Then he slowly started becoming a homer with exaggerated shouting for every Raptor bucket. Another pet peeve is calling players by their first name. Sounds unprofessional. Play by play guys should strive to be objective and not just another fan of the team.

This, especially the "exaggerated shouting" part. And he tries to be funny way too often, and isn't funny.

I caught part of the Kings-Hornets last night. Their backup play by play guy called the game, because Mark Jones was doing an ESPN game. The guy was great, never shouting, calm, a homer without being a homer. And I had to look up their analyst. Doug Christie has become an assistant coach with the team so they promoted their sideline and studio gal, Kayte Christensen-Hunter. 6'3, beautiful, well-spoken and analytical, played WNBA. A star in the making.

https://www.nba.com/kings/news/kings-name-kayte-christensen-hunter-tv-game-analyst
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,210

Post#112 » by C Court » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:15 pm

Just go with Matt and Jack full-time and get Matt back to being just a good play by play guy. No need for story telling.

As well, in the final five minutes of every game, let’s keep the focus on the game itself and avoid tangents.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,034

Post#113 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:23 pm

C Court wrote:Just go with Matt and Jack full-time and get Matt back to being just a good play by play guy. No need for story telling.

As well, in the final five minutes of every game, let’s keep the focus on the game itself and avoid tangents.

I like Alvin, but when Leo was working I always thought why can't Jack just do both networks like Matt does. It's some contractual thing, Matt has a contract that allows him to work for both, Jack doesn't. Jack used to appear on the Fan590 a lot, even had an afternoon show for awhile, but not anymore. TSN only.

If Matt would make himself dial down the yelling, and quit the voiceovers and storytelling , he'd be much better. Seems like there's no one above him to tell him that, just as there seems to be no producer who can fix the terrible job the truck crew does.

Dan Shulman is still my ideal dream play by play guy over even a lower key improved Matt.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,903

Post#114 » by deeps6x » Sat Nov 6, 2021 6:37 pm

The play by play broadcasting has been terrible ...

and then we got rid of Leo and it improved dramatically.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#115 » by Scott Hall » Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:57 am

C Court wrote:Just go with Matt and Jack full-time and get Matt back to being just a good play by play guy. No need for story telling.

I'm pretty sure Alvin was a "diversity" hire I've seen it around the entire NBA as there has been radical changes
to the league to include more women and black people into the broadcasts. I remember the Raptors tried
Sherman Hamilton with Matt a few years ago during preseason games and he wasn't good either and Paul Jones
is awful even for radio standards and we all know Mo Pete bombed out as a sideline reporter. So the Raptors
might have to actually have to put some effort in to find a quality black announcer instead of just giving
jobs to former players or local guys that are from Toronto.

As for Jack I also am one of the people that have found his schtick to become pretty annoying/cringe over the
years and don't mind a break from him also at his age he probably doesn't need to be working a full schedule anyways.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,159

Post#116 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:38 am

Scott Hall wrote:

I'm pretty sure Alvin was a "diversity" hire I've seen it around the entire NBA as there has been radical changes
to the league to include more women and black people into the broadcasts. I remember the Raptors tried
Sherman Hamilton with Matt a few years ago during preseason games and he wasn't good either and Paul Jones
is awful even for radio standards and we all know Mo Pete bombed out as a sideline reporter. So the Raptors
might have to actually have to put some effort in to find a quality black announcer instead of just giving

As for Jack I also am one of the people that have found his schtick to become pretty annoying/cringe over the
years and don't mind a break from him also at his age he probably doesn't need to be working a full schedule anyways.

Diversity hire? The players are 90% black. More like having 90% white broadcast analysts is anti-diversity hiring - i.e. systemic racism.

As I've said above, Paul Jones is an excellent commentator, oddly better than he is a play-by-play guy. But he's not a player, he's a principal. I do agree that maybe not a lot of thought was put into hiring Alvin. I think he's fine, but he hasn't played for 20 years and doesn't even live in Toronto. I'd rather hire a guy who played more recently, and for an excellent coach. Antonio Daniels with the Pelicans is excellent. His experience with the Spurs under Popovich serves him well in breaking down a game. It was 20 years ago, but at least he played for another decade.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#117 » by Scott Hall » Sun Nov 7, 2021 3:56 am

tecumseh18 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

Diversity hire? The players are 90% black. More like having 90% white broadcast analysts is anti-diversity hiring - i.e. systemic racism.

As I've said above, Paul Jones is an excellent commentator, oddly better than he is a play-by-play guy. But he's not a player, he's a principal. I do agree that maybe not a lot of thought was put into hiring Alvin. I think he's fine, but he hasn't played for 20 years and doesn't even live in Toronto. I'd rather hire a guy who played more recently, and for an excellent coach. Antonio Daniels with the Pelicans is excellent. His experience with the Spurs under Popovich serves him well in breaking down a game. It was 20 years ago, but at least he played for another decade.

If you don't watch a lot of Basketball outside of the Raptors it's been going on around the entire league as
there has been a focus on diversity hiring I'm not saying it's good or bad I'm just stating the obvious to what's
going on. The Sixers longtime play by play guy Marc Zuhmoff has been replaced by this woman on commentary
who I think is awful and waaaay worse then Alvin. I'm sure Zuhmoff was phased out like Leo was.

As for Alvin he's been doing side stuff with Sportsnet for years he's just not charismatic, entertaining or provides
any substantial insight and he's always been like that even when he does guest call in spots for the Fan 590 shows
so him not doing well on commentary is like the least surprising thing ever.

Paul Jones is AWFUL there is a reason why he never made it as big as his brother and still does Radio something
that people only listen to in their cars anymore. Eric Smith is equally bad and thank god I'm never in the car for
Raptor games I'd rather PVR it and watch the replay after then listen to those 2. Paul Jones however is good when
you do rountables with Bobcat or Raptors TV.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,491

Post#118 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:02 am

Anyone who says Alvin has been good is flat out lying lol
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,880

Post#119 » by MikeM » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:04 am

I bet Sam Mitchell would be good.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,517
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#120 » by SharoneWright » Sun Nov 7, 2021 5:16 am

Alvin is unfortunately pathetic on the mic. Vague and redundant.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?

Return to Toronto Raptors