ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2022 Draft Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Re: Official 2022 Draft Thread 

Post#161 » by gojoorange » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:41 pm

will wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:

He's like a Rich Man's Tyrus Thomas!

WOW :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was quite the squad LSU had with Tyrus, Big Baby Davis and Garrett Temple.

He gives me a Onyeka Okongwu vibes somewhat. The shooting isn't great but his defensive play so far has been absurd. I'll be watching the game against Auburn on the 29th, let's see how he does against a top prospect like Jabari Smith.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,923
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#162 » by will » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:45 pm

gojoorange wrote:
will wrote:
Psubs wrote:
He's like a Rich Man's Tyrus Thomas!

He gives me a Onyeka Okongwu vibes somewhat. The shooting isn't great but his defensive play so far has been absurd. I'll be watching the game against Auburn on the 29th, let's see how he does against a top prospect like Jabari Smith.

The Hawks drafted a nice player in Okongwu. Learning with Capela...gonna be real interesting to watch him break out at some point during the next 2-4 seasons.
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#163 » by gojoorange » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:49 pm

will wrote:
gojoorange wrote:
will wrote:

The Hawks drafted a nice player in Okongwu. Learning with Capela...gonna be real interesting to watch him break out at some point during the next 2-4 seasons.

100%. All about opportunity for him.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,923
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#164 » by will » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:51 pm

gojoorange wrote:
will wrote:
gojoorange wrote:

100%. All about opportunity for him.

It was fun times at Chino Hills with the Ball brothers as well.

Jabari Smith will be eating, though.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,663

Post#165 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:59 pm

Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Really wish masai woulda took BJ Boston instead of Johnson

They went with defensive versatility over offensive potential. Maybe Boston becomes a microwave scorer off the bench?

Maybe DJ becomes a bigger version of Jalen Brunson, who is now starting for the Mavs?

I believe Johnson is projected to be a better shooter and passer than Boston.

As for measurement, Boston didn't have the Combine record, but some website has him with 37.5 max vertical, which is lower than David Johnson at 39. Wingspan are the same, around 6'10 to 6'11. So on paper, David Johnson should be better, no? What exactly is Boston better than Johnson?

It's not about what they were currently better at during the draft but potential. BJ has way more as a self creator and scorer. He's shown flashes of why he was originally rated so high in highscool.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,288

Post#166 » by God Squad » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:30 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
They went with defensive versatility over offensive potential. Maybe Boston becomes a microwave scorer off the bench?

Maybe DJ becomes a bigger version of Jalen Brunson, who is now starting for the Mavs?

As for measurement, Boston didn't have the Combine record, but some website has him with 37.5 max vertical, which is lower than David Johnson at 39. Wingspan are the same, around 6'10 to 6'11. So on paper, David Johnson should be better, no? What exactly is Boston better than Johnson?

It's not about what they were currently better at during the draft but potential. BJ has way more as a self creator and scorer. He's shown flashes of why he was originally rated so high in highscool.

Most teams passed on him. Potential only gets you so far, and at some point we need tangible proof or evidence. Plenty of highly rated prospects fail at college, find their footing in the league and still wash out (Skal Labissière, Thomas Robinson and Deyonta Davis. TBH too many to name. Anyways I'm not a fan of Johnson either, just saying "potential" only gets you so far.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#167 » by Madhouse » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:06 pm

God Squad wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Most teams passed on him. Potential only gets you so far, and at some point we need tangible proof or evidence. Plenty of highly rated prospects fail at college, find their footing in the league and still wash out (Skal Labissière, Thomas Robinson and Deyonta Davis. TBH too many to name. Anyways I'm not a fan of Johnson either, just saying "potential" only gets you so far.

Johnson was a wasted pick but not many mid 2nd rounders pan out anyway. Not sure about Brandon Boston. But I feel he is a longshot to be even a decent player in the NBA.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,694

Post#168 » by Psubs » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:03 pm

Madhouse wrote:
God Squad wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:It's not about what they were currently better at during the draft but potential. BJ has way more as a self creator and scorer. He's shown flashes of why he was originally rated so high in highscool.

Johnson was a wasted pick but not many mid 2nd rounders pan out anyway. Not sure about Brandon Boston. But I feel he is a longshot to be even a decent player in the NBA.

DJ seems to be progressing like FVV in year 1 with the 905. Don't give up on him like GPII who is now shooting decent from 3.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#169 » by B-Ball Freak » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:12 pm

Lol already a ''wasted pick'' with his rookie season not even being halfway over
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,071

Post#170 » by Indeed » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Psubs wrote:
Madhouse wrote:
God Squad wrote:Most teams passed on him. Potential only gets you so far, and at some point we need tangible proof or evidence. Plenty of highly rated prospects fail at college, find their footing in the league and still wash out (Skal Labissière, Thomas Robinson and Deyonta Davis. TBH too many to name. Anyways I'm not a fan of Johnson either, just saying "potential" only gets you so far.

DJ seems to be progressing like FVV in year 1 with the 905. Don't give up on him like GPII who is now shooting decent from 3.

I was hoping we keep GPII, but he wasn't shooting well. I guess Golden States did a better job in developing his 3 point shot.

As for Johnson, he is more a safe pick when we take a risk on Banton. The difference between Johnson and Boston is that they play a different position though, and Johnson was more a 3 point shooter, which is kind of our need.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#171 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:19 pm

God Squad wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Indeed wrote:

My main thought process is if the team has had such a good track record on turning low expectations players into something good why not try it with someone who already showcased the potential just needs the right situation
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,956

Post#172 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:28 pm

Madhouse wrote:
God Squad wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:It's not about what they were currently better at during the draft but potential. BJ has way more as a self creator and scorer. He's shown flashes of why he was originally rated so high in highscool.

Wait what? David Johnson is not a wasted picked, you should give him AT LEAST one season. If that that's the case then Suggs is a wasted pick.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#173 » by Indeed » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:11 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
God Squad wrote:

My main thought process is if the team has had such a good track record on turning low expectations players into something good why not try it with someone who already showcased the potential just needs the right situation

I think the team has good track record on turning low expectation players into something, but the good track record may not even be 50%.
Second round picks: DeAndre Daniels, Dewan Hernandez, Jalen Harris
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#174 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:32 am

Indeed wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
God Squad wrote:Most teams passed on him. Potential only gets you so far, and at some point we need tangible proof or evidence. Plenty of highly rated prospects fail at college, find their footing in the league and still wash out (Skal Labissière, Thomas Robinson and Deyonta Davis. TBH too many to name. Anyways I'm not a fan of Johnson either, just saying "potential" only gets you so far.

I think the team has good track record on turning low expectation players into something, but the good track record may not even be 50%.

I mean it's unfair to judge but all signs were pointing towards Jalen Harris becoming a pretty good player
The rest I agree. Although Dewan was basically injured nonstop
Psubs
RealGM

Post#175 » by Psubs » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:07 am

Indeed wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

Jalen Harris is coming back next year for Svi's spot.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,486

Post#176 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:31 am

Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:My main thought process is if the team has had such a good track record on turning low expectations players into something good why not try it with someone who already showcased the potential just needs the right situation

Can't wait for that.

Harris easily > Svi.... offensively he might even be more rounded than Gary.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM

Post#177 » by Psubs » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:08 am

PhilBlackson wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Can't wait for that.

Harris has more hops and finishes at the rim better but Gary is the better shooter. Harris is able to play some PG.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#178 » by Indeed » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:35 am

Psubs wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Can't wait for that.

Harris has more hops and finishes at the rim better but Gary is the better shooter. Harris is able to play some PG.

I will have to wait for Harris to actually play more NBA minutes before I can conclude he can be ahead of anyone. I wouldn't count those end of season games where Flynn scores very well and everyone think he would be a starter in some years.

I am also looking forward to the draft. If Mathurin and Griffin are gone, Davison is someone I will look at as well. But after lottery, those are more 3&D prospects, so will see if we are lucky to find someone that can fill our needs.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#179 » by Dalek » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Reeko wrote:Holmgren's stats so far this season: 13 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2 apg, and 3.5 blocks on 63/37/71 shooting splits. If not for his lack of size he would be the ideal modern center. I'm really praying that this kid doesn't have Marfan's Syndrome.

Why do you think Chet would have Marfan's? His dad is also 7ft tall so I just think he is tall naturally rather than having a rare genetic mutation.

To me he is like a Rudy Gobert body-type. Just a huge skinny body that in time will fill out as he gets older. Rudy also looked like a stick coming in, and it didn't stop him.

Chet is an extremely skilled defender and just like Evan Mobley he will be able to hang in the NBA right away despite the lack of weight.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#180 » by Dalek » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Madhouse wrote:

Wait what? David Johnson is not a wasted picked, you should give him AT LEAST one season. If that that's the case then Suggs is a wasted pick.

I think we have to give David Johnson some time. He has had a couple injuries and then strange time with the 905 where he was given the reigns for a few games and then Dalano and Flynn showed up and took away from his time as a starter.

He has great size and skill to be a future PG and at age 20 that has some time to develop.

Return to Toronto Raptors