My try at a Dort trade -- Atlanta

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,484

My try at a Dort trade -- Atlanta 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:22 pm

Jalen Johnson
22 ATL 1st(top 4 for 3 years then 2 2nds)
22 OKC 1st returned(24/25 OKC 2nds really)

for

Lou Dort

Thunder fans were talking about wanting 2 firsts for Dort. This isn't exactly that, but I think Johnson can count as first round value and added a couple 2nds to bump him up. Currently that's a late lotto pick in 2022, though way too early to project anything.

Hawks go get a legit on-ball defensive wing who is dirt cheap again next year without giving up anything from their current rotation--just a straight addition. Frees them up to use one of Reddish or Bogdan as a trade chip as well either to recoup future value or to upgrade elsewhere.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,655

Re: My try at a Dort trade -- Atlanta 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:28 pm

That’s a pretty solid deal.

OKC adds to its treasure chest of picks and grabs an interesting young talent and ATL adds a terrific young defender to complement Trae.

Okc really likes Dort but it would be hard for me to say no to this if I were an okc fan.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,586

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:50 pm

i would probably add in a gallo for kenrich in there as atlanta to save some money next year. As it stands i think its a bit too good for OKC. Dort's numbers arent that super impressive imo. I dont really think he is worth 2 1sts without bad salary attached
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,886

Post#4 » by eminence » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:15 pm

At first glance it looks a bit too good for OKC imo. I think I'd need at least lotto protections on that 1st for ATL. Or the Kenrich/Gallo swap would add value too.
I bought a boat.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,975

Post#5 » by psman2 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:29 pm

My question is if I am trading 2 1sts+ for Dort he needs to be a clear starter and I am not sure he is for Atlanta. I know he is getting a lot of minutes at SF due to OKC roster construction, but he is undersized and best as a SG long term. So if Atlanta is fully healthy what is the minutes breakdown between Dort, Huerter, Bogdan, Hunter, Reddish at the 2/3? Reddish for sure is getting squeezed out so imo he should be going out as part of the incentive here.

IF I was Atlanta I would either look for a bigger upgrade or at least clear up enough minutes where Dort can be seen as a clear starter after the trade.
Texas Chuck

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 4, 2021 7:13 pm

psman2 wrote:My question is if I am trading 2 1sts+ for Dort he needs to be a clear starter and I am not sure he is for Atlanta. I know he is getting a lot of minutes at SF due to OKC roster construction, but he is undersized and best as a SG long term. So if Atlanta is fully healthy what is the minutes breakdown between Dort, Huerter, Bogdan, Hunter, Reddish at the 2/3? Reddish for sure is getting squeezed out so imo he should be going out as part of the incentive here.

IF I was Atlanta I would either look for a bigger upgrade or at least clear up enough minutes where Dort can be seen as a clear starter after the trade.

My thoughts rotation wise were that Dort is going to take the toughest wing assignment regardless of position so I'm not worried what position he is labeled. And Hunter/Reddish would take more minutes at PF squeezing mostly Dieng but potentially also Gallo for minutes. And completely remove Solo Hill from the rotation. Then probably one of Wright/Lou gets squeezed. And suddenly I have 30 minutes a night for Dort without taking a minute from any of the names you listed. But more realistically its a competition/matchup issue in part so whoever is earning minutes gets them.

I don't see it as a big problem, though I acknowledged in the OP that it opens up a Reddish/Bogdan trade. I didn't put Reddish in the OP because I felt like both teams would prefer to include Jalen Johnson. Atlanta because he's not contributing now and OKC because he's cheaper and has 2 additional rookie years left.

Atlanta still needs some consolidation perhaps, but every trade doesn't solve every problem. :D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,189

Post#7 » by tiderulz » Sat Dec 4, 2021 9:47 pm

psman2 wrote:My question is if I am trading 2 1sts+ for Dort he needs to be a clear starter and I am not sure he is for Atlanta. I know he is getting a lot of minutes at SF due to OKC roster construction, but he is undersized and best as a SG long term. So if Atlanta is fully healthy what is the minutes breakdown between Dort, Huerter, Bogdan, Hunter, Reddish at the 2/3? Reddish for sure is getting squeezed out so imo he should be going out as part of the incentive here.

yeah, this seems to be way overvaluing Dort for me. Isnt this the typical player putting up stats on a bad team, type situation?

what am i missing?

Johnson has barely played, but has talent. and Atlanta tossing in 2 1st round picks on top of that?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,551

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 9:48 pm

Dort is an intriguing prospect for a number of teams if available..

I'm just not sure I see the logic for OKC since he's still quite young.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 538

Post#9 » by raleigh » Sat Dec 4, 2021 11:07 pm

I would love to hear more reasoning behind this high of a valuation. I can't blame OKC fans for wanting the moon (why not?), but I personally don't see it. And that's from someone who likes Dort.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,084

Post#10 » by sonictecture » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:06 am

raleigh wrote:I would love to hear more reasoning behind this high of a valuation. I can't blame OKC fans for wanting the moon (why not?), but I personally don't see it. And that's from someone who likes Dort.

OKC doesn’t want to trade Dort. A group of fans from other teams has identified that a player like Dort could fit on any team and for teams that have started out in disappointing fashion, might give a needed jolt in the right direction. No one cares about OKC at this stage, asset accumulation is a good enough reason.

As an OKC fan, even if this offer is deemed an overpay by Atlanta by the majority, my answer would be no.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,084

Post#11 » by sonictecture » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:08 am

eminence wrote:At first glance it looks a bit too good for OKC imo. I think I'd need at least lotto protections on that 1st for ATL. Or the Kenrich/Gallo swap would add value too.

I’d take Gallo for the OKC 2022 first, knowing they will be 2 seconds. No interest in the rest.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,351

Post#12 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 1:16 am

zimpy27 wrote:Dort is an intriguing prospect for a number of teams if available..

Pretty much this. The value from OP is very good for OKC but we are trying to build something around SGA/Dort/GIddey. Doesn't really make sense to trade your 3rd best young player when you already lack so much talent and have enough picks.

Dort's ceiling isn't that high but he could be a n°5 option on a contender. Only makes sense to trade Dort for a better prospect (in which case OKC would add some pick) or to move up into the draft.
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Dec 5, 2021 1:38 am

tiderulz wrote:

yeah, this seems to be way overvaluing Dort for me. Isnt this the typical player putting up stats on a bad team, type situation?

what am i missing?

Johnson has barely played, but has talent. and Atlanta tossing in 2 1st round picks on top of that?

just for the record its one first unless you believe OKC will make the playoffs this year, because after this year it converts to 2 2nds. Might still be an overpay, but did want to clarify it was not my intent for the deal to be Johnson and 2 firsts.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#14 » by Coeur » Sun Dec 5, 2021 2:23 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Dort is an intriguing prospect for a number of teams if available..

Pretty much this. The value from OP is very good for OKC but we are trying to build something around SGA/Dort/GIddey. Doesn't really make sense to trade your 3rd best young player when you already lack so much talent and have enough picks.

Dort's ceiling isn't that high but he could be a n°5 option on a contender. Only makes sense to trade Dort for a better prospect (in which case OKC would add some pick) or to move up into the draft.

The only other reason to consider trading him is so you don’t end up paying him #2 or #3 guy type money to that #5 guy

I like Dort a lot better but it kind of reminds me of when Nugs first started rebuilding they had Gary Harris who was a second scorer on a horrible team but a 5th option on a good team.

Would love Dort on the Nugs. I get why most teams would want him. Less will want him at 20 mill a year, but okc could still trade him later
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#15 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Dec 5, 2021 2:36 am

JRoy wrote:That’s a pretty solid deal.

OKC adds to its treasure chest of picks and grabs an interesting young talent and ATL adds a terrific young defender to complement Trae.

Okc really likes Dort but it would be hard for me to say no to this if I were an okc fan.

no for atl. jalen johnson is being undervalued here a late lotto prospect.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,673

Post#16 » by Devilanche » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:33 am

raleigh wrote:I would love to hear more reasoning behind this high of a valuation. I can't blame OKC fans for wanting the moon (why not?), but I personally don't see it. And that's from someone who likes Dort.

I still want tank this season and next but I want a close loss not blowouts and definitely no more games like the loss to Memphis

I consider SGA and Giddey to be keepers . muscala and Kenrich as vets that knows how to play and can keep the score close .these 2 will only be moved if they asked out .

Dort offers so much on defence and still improving hence for THIS season I rather keep him and get the game to be close so my prospects are playing in close games and not blowouts. I got enough future first and second that I believe getting players meaningful minutes are more important and with just this 5 there’s still slot for 5 other rotational player.

Hence to move him this trade deadline I would want an overpay. If we come to draft day and there’s a prospect I like (a wing defender with size) I may consider to trade him then for fair value .

Note : this means I consider favors /deck as easily movable and Ty Jerome , Isaiah Roby and Darius Bazley as movable as well .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#17 » by retrobro90 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 3:36 am

I really really don't understand why OKC is trading a 22 year old consummate high character guy with all-league level defense who is averaging 17/4/2 this season and is a close friend of the team's best player. There's no possible reason to part ways with that player. They have the cleanest cap sheet. They can pay him and keep him.

And a pick in the 20s and Jalen Johnson is what constitutes a heavy return? There's not much there to me. JJ looks nice in the G league but he's quit on basically every squad he's played for and is hardly a culture fit. And if ATL knew he wouldn't crack their forward rotation in year 1 they should have figured that into their calculus if they decide to cut ties before he has any opportunity outside the G league. And maybe he's great for them some day but seems like bad business on their part to sell on their investment this early.

Return to Trades and Transactions