Kyrie Irving Will Need 1-2 Weeks To Ramp Up

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Kyrie Irving Will Need 1-2 Weeks To Ramp Up 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Kyrie Irving will need a week or two to ramp up before making his 21-22 season debut. 

“With Kyrie, I’m not sure, but it’s coming. He’s already been in for eight days or more, so he should be,” Steve Nash said before Monday’s game with the Clippers in Los Angeles. “I’m not sure … how many days right now, but he’s got to be getting close.” 

Irving hasn't played since his June ankle injury, and hasn't practice since camp.

“I’d say probably somewhere between a week and two weeks,” Nash said. “He’s isolating, so that puts another layer to the ramp-up. It’s not like he’s been working out. I’d imagine it’s going to be closer to two weeks once he comes out of protocols. We’ll see how it goes, though, because we have to evaluate him from a physical and performance standpoint, and then a basketball standpoint as well.” 

Via Brian Lewis/New York Post

alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Kyrie Irving Will Need 1-2 Weeks To Ramp Up 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:32 pm

so he's not been staying ready? that's telling...
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#3 » by MegaK » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:51 pm

alienpick wrote:so he's not been staying ready? that's telling...

That's the thing, you can say you've been staying ready but nothing can simulate an actual NBA game. Closest thing would've been for him to be playing in the G League this whole time or for a few weeks at least. They should've just traded him. It's not fair to KD to have to deal with this handicap and over extending his minutes when he is not too far removed from his Achilles injury. If anything KD should be doing the Kawhi load management thing. But being that Kyrie ain't around and Harden refuses to stay in shape, KD has to over extend himself during the early part of the season, when he should really be load managing and being in perfect form towards the end of the season going into the playoffs. Not saying KD can't dominate an entire seasons worth of basketball but don't think it is wise to have do so if your goal is to win a chip. BTW I'm happy to take over as GM and I'll happily do that job for a fraction of what their current GM is being paid. Just saying, I'm available bro, and am willing to take the hit.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#4 » by MegaK » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:57 pm

My last comment made me realize that the Nets could've jerked Kyrie around the same way Kyries been jerking them around. They could've/should've just assigned him to the G League for two weeks, then sent him home for a few days and then reassigned him to the G League, then say he's going to play in away games, have him play a minute of garbage time during an away game in Utah, then assign him to the G League for a few weeks, then repeat the whole process again. If Kyrie complains, you tell him its to keep him ready while being sensitive to his vaccination opinion. I'm just saying, at some point a franchise has to grow a pair and stop being a doormat.
alienpick
Starter

Post#5 » by alienpick » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:16 pm

MegaK wrote:My last comment made me realize that the Nets could've jerked Kyrie around the same way Kyries been jerking them around. They could've/should've just assigned him to the G League for two weeks, then sent him home for a few days and then reassigned him to the G League, then say he's going to play in away games, have him play a minute of garbage time during an away game in Utah, then assign him to the G League for a few weeks, then repeat the whole process again. If Kyrie complains, you tell him its to keep him ready while being sensitive to his vaccination opinion. I'm just saying, at some point a franchise has to grow a pair and stop being a doormat.

Amen.

Kyrie doesn't need to be in perfect game shape... hell, a fat and completely out of shape Harden has shown up the past two years. It sounds like Kyrie hasn't even been hitting the gym or trying to stay in shape.. which is very telling.
tonyenzo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by tonyenzo » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:03 am

alienpick wrote:
MegaK wrote:My last comment made me realize that the Nets could've jerked Kyrie around the same way Kyries been jerking them around. They could've/should've just assigned him to the G League for two weeks, then sent him home for a few days and then reassigned him to the G League, then say he's going to play in away games, have him play a minute of garbage time during an away game in Utah, then assign him to the G League for a few weeks, then repeat the whole process again. If Kyrie complains, you tell him its to keep him ready while being sensitive to his vaccination opinion. I'm just saying, at some point a franchise has to grow a pair and stop being a doormat.

Amen.

Kyrie doesn't need to be in perfect game shape... hell, a fat and completely out of shape Harden has shown up the past two years. It sounds like Kyrie hasn't even been hitting the gym or trying to stay in shape.. which is very telling.

Only players on standard NBA contracts can be assigned to the G League and recalled to the NBA — while players on two-way contracts can also be shuttled back and forth between the two leagues, those moves are referred to as “transfers,” rather than assignments or recalls.
alienpick
Starter

Post#7 » by alienpick » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:42 pm

tonyenzo wrote:
alienpick wrote:

Amen.

Only players on standard NBA contracts can be assigned to the G League and recalled to the NBA — while players on two-way contracts can also be shuttled back and forth between the two leagues, those moves are referred to as “transfers,” rather than assignments or recalls.

That said: the players CAN go if they agree, like Klay did this year.

Return to Wiretap Discussion