BOS-MIN Smart for Beasley

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,769

Re: BOS-MIN Smart for Beasley 

Post#21 » by minimus » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:20 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I have Smart > Beasley as players, but the extra financial obligation with Smart cancels that out. A straight swap makes sense value wise. But BOS isn't really in position to sacrifice on court value for overall value including the financials. And MIN shouldn't overpay like OP has them doing with the picks.

J-Rich for Beasley is a more compelling idea, IMO.

I would trade Beasley and top5 protected FRP for J-Rich in a heartbeat, but J-Rich has only one full year under contract. Maybe Beasley, and two SRPs would be enough
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Post#22 » by wolves_89 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:45 pm

I like Smart, but I don't see the Wolves giving up a lightly protected 1st to get him. The issue is that Smart's main role (point of attack defense) is already fairly well filled with Beverley, McDaniels, Okogie, and even Vanderbilt. Minnesota's roster has some clear holes, the biggest of which by far is the size (or more accurately lack of size) of the PF/C rotation. If the Wolves are moving one or more 1sts, it should be to address an area of need.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,769

Post#23 » by minimus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:20 am

wolves_89 wrote:I like Smart, but I don't see the Wolves giving up a lightly protected 1st to get him. The issue is that Smart's main role (point of attack defense) is already fairly well filled with Beverley, McDaniels, Okogie, and even Vanderbilt. Minnesota's roster has some clear holes, the biggest of which by far is the size (or more accurately lack of size) of the PF/C rotation. If the Wolves are moving one or more 1sts, it should be to address an area of need.

I'd say we lack functional size. Let me explain, our main bench players are Beasley, Reid, Prince and MCD. Beasley is undersized guard and he plays kind of small in defense, same with Reid, 6'10" MCD weights 200 lbs, Prince is so inconsistent. Thibs tried to bring in MIN size by adding Hill, Aldrich, Gibson, and resigning Dieng. But only Gibson size was functional, I mean only Gibson contributed on the floor. Meanwhile Thibs roster lacked shooters, playmakers, but we invested poorly mainly in size. I don't want this to happen again. In my opinion our starting five is playing good. As we see problems arise when second unit is playing.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I also noticed that our identity is built around two PG lineup (the concept that we tried with DLo-Rubio, but it didn't work). So Smart trade will solidify this identity by having always two playmakers on the floor. Smart also plays bigger than his size suggest, so he actually brings size, but on PG/SG position. Good example is about FVV/Lowry starting backcourt who won championship despite being undersized on paper
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,363

Post#24 » by patman66 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:07 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:I do like the idea of adding Smart, however I feel we have bigger needs than a great defensive guard with Beverly already on the team.

We need shooting badly, trading away our "best" shooter for a questionable one and using picks doesn't seem ideal.

Also not sure how it opens up room for Nowell when Smart plays all the same positions.

Well beverly is only signed this year and will be 34 this summer, how does that fit. The boston media will be all over the legal stuff.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,054

Post#25 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:50 pm

patman66 wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:I do like the idea of adding Smart, however I feel we have bigger needs than a great defensive guard with Beverly already on the team.

We need shooting badly, trading away our "best" shooter for a questionable one and using picks doesn't seem ideal.

Also not sure how it opens up room for Nowell when Smart plays all the same positions.

Well beverly is only signed this year and will be 34 this summer, how does that fit. The boston media will be all over the legal stuff.

I'm only thinking for this season, I think its very important for us to start building a winning culture and to have our guys build their chemistry going forward. Beverly has been fantastic for the culture and the locker room and I'm sure we're going to do whatever we can to keep him around.

Smart is for sure a better player and fit long-term, but they offer similar skill sets and we need to add a swingman, big, and another PG.

Return to Trades and Transactions