WAS x TOR x DET (updated with feedback - now with CHA)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

WAS x TOR x DET (updated with feedback - now with CHA) 

Post#1 » by Troubadour » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Several competing executives believe the Wizards are leading the chase for Jerami Grant of the Detroit Pistons, who soon could be back from his thumb injury. Grant left the Denver Nuggets to take on a more significant role as an offensive player in Detroit. He's also thought to want a lucrative long-term extension before the end of next season.

Some also say the Wizards are open to dealing veteran point guard Spencer Dinwiddie, who hasn't quite meshed with Beal. The Pistons might have interest in players like Deni Avdija, Montrezl Harrell and Hachimura. Detroit could also be looking for a new home for Kelly Olynyk.

I'll post the original trade idea later in the thread, but I wanted to get feedback on an updated idea. Couple concerns from Wizards fans: they didn't want to go over the tax and the bigger need was getting an incentive back.

So, here's an updated Rui + Dinwiddie to Toronto trade.

Toronto Receives
Spencer Dinwiddie
Rui Hachimura
Ish Smith

Washington Receives
Goran Dragic
Malachi Flynn
2022 2nd Round Pick (TOR via CHA)
2023 2nd Round Pick (TOR)
2025 2nd Round Pick (TOR)

Charlotte Receives
Chris Boucher

Why for Toronto?
Dinwiddie becomes the second unit scorer. Hachimura is a prospect to develop. Ish Smith is mostly there so the Raptors don't have to play against him anymore (and to match salary).

Why for Washington?
Three seconds for a team w/o a 2nd Round Pick for the next few years is a useful draft capital to add. Malachi Flynn is a PG prospect and Goran Dragic, if he decides to show up, could help stem the tide at the position this season. This may seem light for Hachimura and Dinwiddie, but here are the factors I considered.

Dinwiddie is having a down year and does not appear to be a fit with Beal. In 29 games with Beal, he averages 10 PTS, 5 AST and 4 REB on 31% FG and 26% 3FG. In 9 games without Beal, he is much better, but it's a small sample. Hachimura is also a difficult player to evaluate. He has a great frame and he's shown flashes. With 1.5 seasons left on his contract, you worry about re-signing him to a bigger deal down the road if he pans out or him not panning out at all.

Why for Charlotte?
Ish Smith doesn't seem to be in the rotation and the Hornets spend one of their two 2nds this year to get a big who can block shots, sometimes shoot the three, and hustle.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,446

Re: WAS x DET x TOR (based on BR rumour) 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:20 am

We are not wasting non repeater tax years on this and next year. This is nonsense for Raptors
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#3 » by DetroitDon15 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:45 am

Awful for Detroit. Not a game of injury ridden Rui. Picks three year down the road do no good. I also don’t view KO as a guy needing to dump to clear space. Easy pass.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#4 » by mattao313 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:40 am

DetroitDon15 wrote:Awful for Detroit. Not a game of injury ridden Rui. Picks three year down the road do no good. I also don’t view KO as a guy needing to dump to clear space. Easy pass.
it isn't that bad imo

Sent from my 5087Z using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Troubadour
RealGM

Re: WAS x TOR x DET (updated with feedback - now with CHA) 

Post#5 » by Troubadour » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:08 am

Original trade with Detroit

Detroit wants to get value for Grant while moving off of Olynyk. Wizards want Grant and seem open to moving Dinwiddie. Raptors need bench depth.

Detroit Receives
Rui Hachimura
Malachi Flynn
Goran Dragic
2027 1st Round Pick (WAS)
2026 2nd Round Pick (WAS)

Washignton Receives
Jerami Grant
Chris Boucher

Toronto Receives
Spencer Dinwiddie
Kelly Olynyk

Why for Detroit?
Pistons instantly clear Olynyk's future salary and add a promising big wing prospect, a back-up PG prospect, and future draft capital to continue building around the Cade down the road.

Why for Washington?
Wizards are reported to not see a good fit between Beal and Dinwiddie. This trade makes the Wizards better defensively while adding a new scoring threat in Jerami Grant. Projecting forward, a closing lineup of Beal / KCP / Kuzma / Grant / Gafford would offer great defensive versatility and complementary scoring around Beal.

Why for Toronto?
Without giving up a 1st, the Raptors have added a super sub in Spencer Dinwiddie and a shooter in Kelly Olynyk. While this takes up significant salary cap space for the next two seasons, it maintains flexibility for future trades.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,749

Post#6 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:23 am

Pretty bad for Washington. I think that makes all 3 teams rejecting it, lol.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#7 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:06 am

I'd do this, but we'd need a follow up move for a serviceable PG. As it stands, LaMelo, Ish, and Rozier are the only three players on the roster that can be kind of trusted to handle PG duties. Moving Ish makes this team scary shallow at PG. Makes me worried we'd try to sign Brad Wanamaker again or something.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,556

Post#8 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:53 pm

Seriously, at least try and objectively look at this from Washington's perspective. They are trading their starting point guard and a recent lotto pick for 2 backup PGs and 3 mid 2nd round picks. What would possibly motivate them to do this?
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,088

Post#9 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:03 pm

Yea this is awful for Washington. WHy in the world would they trade Rui for this? Let alone their starting PG. This is just looking at it for Toronto
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:34 pm

Troubadour wrote:Original trade with Detroit

Detroit wants to get value for Grant while moving off of Olynyk. Wizards want Grant and seem open to moving Dinwiddie. Raptors need bench depth.

Detroit Receives
Rui Hachimura
Malachi Flynn
Goran Dragic
2027 1st Round Pick (WAS)
2026 2nd Round Pick (WAS)

Washignton Receives
Jerami Grant
Chris Boucher

Toronto Receives
Spencer Dinwiddie
Kelly Olynyk

Why for Detroit?
Pistons instantly clear Olynyk's future salary and add a promising big wing prospect, a back-up PG prospect, and future draft capital to continue building around the Cade down the road.

Why for Washington?
Wizards are reported to not see a good fit between Beal and Dinwiddie. This trade makes the Wizards better defensively while adding a new scoring threat in Jerami Grant. Projecting forward, a closing lineup of Beal / KCP / Kuzma / Grant / Gafford would offer great defensive versatility and complementary scoring around Beal.

Why for Toronto?
Without giving up a 1st, the Raptors have added a super sub in Spencer Dinwiddie and a shooter in Kelly Olynyk. While this takes up significant salary cap space for the next two seasons, it maintains flexibility for future trades.

This trade looks a lot more realistic than the other - though I don't think Boucher would be a good fit for Washington - maybe have him forwarded to another team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#11 » by Troubadour » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Points well taken. The more realistic one still, to me, is Rui Hachimura as the centrepiece of a Jerami Grant trade seeing as Washington doesn't have any picks to send out for a while.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,294

Post#12 » by vege » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:31 pm

Troubadour wrote:Points well taken. The more realistic one still, to me, is Rui Hachimura as the centrepiece of a Jerami Grant trade seeing as Washington doesn't have any picks to send out for a while.

That's bad for Detroit. Hachimura only played 8 games this season, and he wasn't very good the past 2 seasons. He showed no improvement from year 1 to year 2.

There's likely not a realistic deal between Detroit and Washington.
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#13 » by Troubadour » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:58 pm

vege wrote:
Troubadour wrote:Points well taken. The more realistic one still, to me, is Rui Hachimura as the centrepiece of a Jerami Grant trade seeing as Washington doesn't have any picks to send out for a while.

That's bad for Detroit. Hachimura only played 8 games this season, and he wasn't very good the past 2 seasons. He showed no improvement from year 1 to year 2.

I think you're a little too low on Hachimura. He's a young, big wing prospect who has shown meaningful flashes. He would complement Cade really well and fit alongside Bey too. Which Grant package do you prefer out there?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,517

Post#14 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:00 pm

Troubadour wrote:
vege wrote:

I think you're a little too low on Hachimura. He's a young, big wing prospect who has shown meaningful flashes. He would complement Cade really well and fit alongside Bey too. Which Grant package do you prefer out there?

With the news that Grant has a "list" and wants an extension over 100m this summer, I don't know that there will be or should be stronger packages.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,294

Post#15 » by vege » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 pm

Troubadour wrote:
vege wrote:

If it's up for me I'd extend him.

But if we're trading him, I'd only do a trade where we land a young player significantly better than Hachimuia. Patrick Williams, Robert Williams, Myles Turner, Anfernee Simons, etc etc etc.

Return to Trades and Transactions