UntradaBOL?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,583

Re: UntradaBOL? 

Post#21 » by JRoy » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:17 pm

Skybox wrote:
JRoy wrote:
165bows wrote:Wait 'til the Magic add Wemby lol.

A good lead guard would do ORL a ton of good.

Like Simons. :D

Sharpe looks really good and a better fit next to Dame. ORL could send a big like WCJ to fill out your lineup on both ends. If Isaac comes around, he might be an even better fit for POR (I know big IF, but he's reportedly playing full contact with G League team this week)[/quote

I’d send Simons to ORL for the right deal.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,794

Post#22 » by Skybox » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:58 pm

Wow...this thread died with a whimper

I guess the league is betting Bol-sanity is a flicker, not a flame?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#23 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:04 pm

Skybox wrote:Wow...this thread died with a whimper

I guess the league is betting Bol-sanity is a flicker, not a flame?

Its just really hard to gauge his value. He has a small sample size on a non-winning team and has some pretty big flaws (Mostly tunnel vision, like pretty bad tunnel vision) - on the other hand for ORL if he keeps developing he is a guy that you can feature as a top-3 option on your squad, so they should value him as such.

Just dont see many options out there that get ORL to bite.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,973

Post#24 » by wegotthabeet » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:59 pm

Bol Bol was only worth a future 2nd rounder less than a year ago. his upside is tremendous, but Orlando is so bad that I can't take the stats seriously if I'm a championship contender. it's a lot easier to make a positive impact on a bottom 5 team than a contender.

the biggest problem is his contract. it might be the best value currently in the league, but if he keeps this level play up in a year you have a tough decision to make. does he walk or do you risk overpaying him? I really like Bol, but I'm getting Hassan Whiteside vibes. I'm not sure I want to be the one to give him his third contract. depends what he'll ask for/expect after a great year. his agent should've pushed for the PO.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#25 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:50 am

JRoy wrote:
Skybox wrote:I don't know about "cornerstone"...maybe giant upside man of mystery.

How about a surprising flash of brilliance, surprise at a position of need, from IND (who's stacked at guard spots)...Andrew Nembhard?

Maybe one, maybe both, maybe neither are the real thing and not "Lin-sanity 2.0"

*I think, in this scenario, both teams are dealing from a position of strength...meaning, both could risk a mistake without crippling their progress and, maybe just maybe, score in a big way.

International Man of Mystery?

Could it be him in disguise?

Spoiler:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#26 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:57 am

wegotthabeet wrote:Bol Bol was only worth a future 2nd rounder less than a year ago. his upside is tremendous, but Orlando is so bad that I can't take the stats seriously if I'm a championship contender. it's a lot easier to make a positive impact on a bottom 5 team than a contender.

the biggest problem is his contract. it might be the best value currently in the league, but if he keeps this level play up in a year you have a tough decision to make. does he walk or do you risk overpaying him? I really like Bol, but I'm getting Hassan Whiteside vibes. I'm not sure I want to be the one to give him his third contract. depends what he'll ask for/expect after a great year. his agent should've pushed for the PO.

I wonder if he was hurt or otherwise not in the best shape to play and just got well? Sometimes a guy is just in the wrong place and a change of scenery can make a big difference.
wegotthabeet
Analyst

Post#27 » by wegotthabeet » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:00 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:Bol Bol was only worth a future 2nd rounder less than a year ago. his upside is tremendous, but Orlando is so bad that I can't take the stats seriously if I'm a championship contender. it's a lot easier to make a positive impact on a bottom 5 team than a contender.

I wonder if he was hurt or otherwise not in the best shape to play and just got well? Sometimes a guy is just in the wrong place and a change of scenery can make a big difference.

Denver is a competitive team, so it's harder to break into a rotation on a team like that vs. what Orlando currently is.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 633

Post#28 » by AaronB » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:55 am

The problem with your analysis is that it is nonsense.

The Magic have been a bad team because they have played with no point guard for over half the season and g league shooting guards for over 3 quarters of the season. The lack of roster construction should be fineable.

Good guard play and his stats will go nowhere but up. So, contrary to inflated stats, his stats are deflated. He is significantly better than his stats, which ate 1.8 blocks, 12.5 PPG on 60% shooting and 43% from the 3. He is also about 7 RPG on 26 MPG.

Injury history makes his future clouded, but that guy has talent oozing from his pores. He was a top 5 talent in HS, a top 5 talent in the NBA draft clouded only by a severe injury and a motor that was a concern. The motor part seems to have been over stated.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,507

Post#29 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 am

Think the question is would Orlando trade him for a non lotto first? Not sure he that valuable for teams in a rebuild
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by AaronB » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:53 am

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Think the question is would Orlando trade him for a non lotto first? Not sure he that valuable for teams in a rebuild

I think that the Magic are stuck with him one way or another.

If he continues to be healthy and continues his play and rate of improvement, he is untouchable.

If he gets hurt (especially foot issues), he is probably untradeable.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#31 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:02 am

jezzerinho wrote:I guess for BOS if it ain't broke don't fix it, but would they be interested in:
Bol
Okeke (bench defensive forward on the cheap)
Ross (expiring)

For Derrick White?

Boston had Bol and moved him for cap relief. Obviously a dumb move at the time but I cant see them moving White or a player in similar value for him at this time. Bol still comes with major injury concerns and a small sample size of play. Might be worth a gamble to a lottery team but prob is going to be more value for Orlando to hold on to.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#32 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:05 am

AaronB wrote:

The Magic have been a bad team because they have played with no point guard for over half the season and g league shooting guards for over 3 quarters of the season. The lack of roster construction should be fineable.

Good guard play and his stats will go nowhere but up. So, contrary to inflated stats, his stats are deflated. He is significantly better than his stats, which ate 1.8 blocks, 12.5 PPG on 60% shooting and 43% from the 3. He is also about 7 RPG on 26 MPG.

Injury history makes his future clouded, but that guy has talent oozing from his pores. He was a top 5 talent in HS, a top 5 talent in the NBA draft clouded only by a severe injury and a motor that was a concern. The motor part seems to have been over stated.

He tends to turn the ball over a lot and defensively he has a difficult time with lateral movement and goes for blocks more often than a big man should when guys get by him. These are issues that would be more prevalent during playoff runs. He’d be better off developing on a team like Orlando.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by AaronB » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:46 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
AaronB wrote:

He tends to turn the ball over a lot and defensively he has a difficult time with lateral movement and goes for blocks more often than a big man should when guys get by him. These are issues that would be more prevalent during playoff runs. He’d be better off developing on a team like Orlando.

Alternatively, the Magic having no PG and G-League SGs or out-of-position players for much of the season has put unrealistic primary ball-handling responsibilities on the rest of the team, including Bol Bol. He goes for blocks because he is a rim protector who still rebounds at a rate of over 11 per 40 playing mostly from the SF position. He has difficulty with lateral movement because he has been forced to guard SGs and SFs due to poor roster construction.

Agree with the "better off" in Orlando for the exact reason you state. However, with 60/43/80 shooting he is an elite talent that if he stays healthy and continues to play with the sense of urgency that he has played with this year, the sky is the limit in terms of career.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,619

Post#34 » by 165bows » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:55 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
AaronB wrote:

The funny part is that his statistical line is nearly identical on a per possession basis to Mo Bamba, who basically gets a shrug around here. I'm not a huge Bamba bandwagon guy but I think he is becoming relatively under-rated in this conversation.

Biggest difference in their stat lines is that Bamba is one of the two positive +/- guys on the team (with Wagner), unlike Bol. Bol is neutral compared with the team performance (which is a net -4, similar to Bol's overall number), while Bamba is positive overall and a +6 compared to the team's baseline.

Edit: can compare their per/36 minute and rate stats to see what I mean here: https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=bambamo01&p1yrfrom=2023&player_id1=bolbo01&p2yrfrom=2023&sum=0&request=1
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by AaronB » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:39 pm

165bows wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
AaronB wrote:

The funny part is that his statistical line is nearly identical on a per possession basis to Mo Bamba, who basically gets a shrug around here. I'm not a huge Bamba bandwagon guy but I think he is becoming relatively under-rated in this conversation.

Biggest difference in their stat lines is that Bamba is one of the two positive +/- guys on the team (with Wagner), unlike Bol. Bol is neutral compared with the team performance (which is a net -4, similar to Bol's overall number), while Bamba is positive overall and a +6 compared to the team's baseline.

Edit: can compare their per/36 minute and rate stats to see what I mean here: https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=bambamo01&p1yrfrom=2023&player_id1=bolbo01&p2yrfrom=2023&sum=0&request=1

I like Mo Bamba.

The problem is that he spent the first 3 years getting paid to jog up and down the court. No sense of urgency. No real attempt to understand the game. Personally, I think he liked to camp out on the 3 pt line because it meant that he did not have to run the entire length of the court.

That mentality changed quite a bit last year when he started playing for a new contract. He got the new contract this year and started reverting back to old habits. Recently, I think that he started to understand that he actually needs to run and understand how he needs to adjust every game.

I think that he only recently started understanding that when he plays a team that hits the offensive glass hard, that going for every block actually hurts the team. Blocks need to be part of his game, but they need to be part of the overall game plan.

What Mo can't do is this:

So Mo's game is maturing, but I can see why he has a pretty bad rep from fans. Watching him casually jog up the court when his man is running is infuriating. That seems to be changing.
wegotthabeet
Analyst

Post#36 » by wegotthabeet » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:15 pm

AaronB wrote:
kobe_vs_jordan wrote:Think the question is would Orlando trade him for a non lotto first? Not sure he that valuable for teams in a rebuild

If he continues to be healthy and continues his play and rate of improvement, he is untouchable.

dude's value went from a future 2nd round pick to untouchable in less than 30 games. got it.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,619

Post#37 » by 165bows » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:28 pm

AaronB wrote:
165bows wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

I like Mo Bamba.

The problem is that he spent the first 3 years getting paid to jog up and down the court. No sense of urgency. No real attempt to understand the game. Personally, I think he liked to camp out on the 3 pt line because it meant that he did not have to run the entire length of the court.

That mentality changed quite a bit last year when he started playing for a new contract. He got the new contract this year and started reverting back to old habits. Recently, I think that he started to understand that he actually needs to run and understand how he needs to adjust every game.

I think that he only recently started understanding that when he plays a team that hits the offensive glass hard, that going for every block actually hurts the team. Blocks need to be part of his game, but they need to be part of the overall game plan.

What Mo can't do is this:

So Mo's game is maturing, but I can see why he has a pretty bad rep from fans. Watching him casually jog up the court when his man is running is infuriating. That seems to be changing.

That play is totally irrelevant. It’s a good example of why his turnover rate is so high and isn’t a replicat-able strategy at all.

To some extent people see the same thing from Wemby and freak out. Laziness is a big problem but being a sound player is just as valuable as hard working. People that see that play and freak out idk what to say, it’s not the type of play that tells you if he’s worth more than a second round pick.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,507

Post#38 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:28 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:
AaronB wrote:

dude's value went from a future 2nd round pick to untouchable in less than 30 games. got it.

How many games you want to see for trade purposes?
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by AaronB » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:33 pm

wegotthabeet wrote:
AaronB wrote:

Let me correct you on this:

He went from junk pile (less than a 2nd), can't get a job, to either untouchable or untradeable in 30 games.

Yes, that is correct.

Of course, his pedigree as one of the top HS and College players in the nation can help move the needle pretty fast.

Did you see the numbers he put up in 9 college games before getting hurt?

21 PPG and 52% from 3. You read that right. 52% from the 3 as an 18-19-year-old.

A 7-2 guy doing spin moves in the open court, shooting 60/43/80, and blocking 1.8 per game will move a needle fast.

Again, I am predicting nothing from him, but there is something there, and I hope he keeps healthy and working hard to improve every day. If he does, his future is really bright.
wegotthabeet
Analyst

Post#40 » by wegotthabeet » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:40 pm

kobe_vs_jordan wrote:
wegotthabeet wrote:
AaronB wrote:

How many games you want to see for trade purposes?

I need a larger sample size. one full year injury free and even then I'd still be hesitant. based on the current market I wouldn't trade for him now. it's too risky to offer any real assets. you don't want to risk buying the top.

like I said in another post in a year you'd have the really tough decision to offer him a big extension, trade him or let him walk. I wouldn't want to make that decision.

Return to Trades and Transactions