Yea... I miss Superteams

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,456

Re: Yea... I miss Superteams 

Post#161 » by Woodsanity » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:23 pm

DorianRo wrote:
therealozzykhan wrote:Says the fan of the Heat lol. Of course you do, you had prime Lebron who assembled a superteam in your city.

They played good teams in the finals though. Spurs/Dallas would whip on this Denver team EASY

:lol:
Cope and seethe more kid.
I bet you just started watching the nba recently if you think those teams could whoop this Denver team. :noway:
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,875

Post#162 » by jkvonny » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:09 pm

MavsDirk41 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
BrianFitz wrote:
Nope - that's not where the term "super team" came from. None of the dynasties of the past were ever called "super teams". It was always used when a great player switched teams to form a new .... wait for it .... super team. Stop conflating it with dynasty.

Your actual contention is that a team becomes super when players join up in free agency?

So where is the cutoff? The Warriors had Curry/Klay/Dray and then added KD, is the addition of only a single star enough to call it a superteam? Or do 2 stars need to join a third star in his home to become a superteam?

See how silly this is? Super doesn't refer to contracts or FA or trades, it just refers to the quality of talent on the floor.

The Bulls are a good example. They had 2 HOF players in MJ/Pip and acquired an additional HOF in Rodman, creating a team with 1 superstar and 2 high level all-stars - that's not a superteam though because only one of the stars was acquired outside the draft right?

When you apply arbitrary rules to things, you eventually get put in positions in which you have to change arbitrary rules to shape your definitions.

"Superteam" is about talent, not whether said talent was drafted or traded for - otherwise it would be called a "super-team-up"

Golden St drafted Curry, Klay, and Green. San Antonio drafted Duncan, Parker, and Ginobli. Chicago drafted Jordan, Pippen, and Grant. You can call them super teams if you want cause they all won championships with their main core of drafted players. But its different than the Heatles and Durant joining Golden St. What i dont like is players like James and Durant teaming up with other all star players to dominate the league. These two did it in their prime so its not like they were washed and just trying to win a title before they retire. Those championships feel cheap to me.

Don't forget David Robinson and Sean Elliott as well!
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,515

Post#163 » by Dubnation » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:18 pm

jkvonny wrote:
Taj FTW wrote:Superteams have won the majority of chips. The early Celtics teams, 80s Lakers and Celtics, 90s Bulls, 2000-2010's Spurs, three amigo Celtics, all of Kobe's championships, Heatles, Warriors, etc. The list goes on and on.

We're in an era of unprecedented talent and parity in the NBA. I'm the NBA, you used to be able to pick the 4 legitimate contenders at the beginning of the season. It isn't that way anymore. It gives small market teams hope at least.

We (Spurs) were not really a "super team". We drafted most of our players and acquired via trade. Also mid-small market like Denver.

We (Dubs) drafted most of our players as well. So I guess the Warriors weren't one as well.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,875

Post#164 » by jkvonny » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:24 pm

Dubnation wrote:
jkvonny wrote:
Taj FTW wrote:Superteams have won the majority of chips. The early Celtics teams, 80s Lakers and Celtics, 90s Bulls, 2000-2010's Spurs, three amigo Celtics, all of Kobe's championships, Heatles, Warriors, etc. The list goes on and on.

We're in an era of unprecedented talent and parity in the NBA. I'm the NBA, you used to be able to pick the 4 legitimate contenders at the beginning of the season. It isn't that way anymore. It gives small market teams hope at least.

We (Spurs) were not really a "super team". We drafted most of our players and acquired via trade. Also mid-small market like Denver.

We (Dubs) drafted most of our players as well. So I guess the Warriors weren't one as well.

True. Like I said in an earlier post somewhere lol. I forget which thread it was.
Early GSW teams.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,911

Post#165 » by SK21209 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:25 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
DorianRo wrote:
therealozzykhan wrote:Says the fan of the Heat lol. Of course you do, you had prime Lebron who assembled a superteam in your city.

They played good teams in the finals though. Spurs/Dallas would whip on this Denver team EASY

I bet you just started watching the nba recently if you think those teams could whoop this Denver team. :noway:

2014 Spurs beat the 2023 Nuggets. 2023 Nuggets beat the 2011 Mavs though.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,210

Post#166 » by Mickey8 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:29 pm

SK21209 wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

First of all, Denver haven't won the title yet. Secondly , its dumb to claim for sure that one team from one era would beat the other team from other era. I don't know if Denver would be able to beat that Mavericks team or that San Antonio would be able to beat this Denver team. We really don't know until they meet in some imaginary world.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#167 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:33 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

You must have been the one who started watching recently if you think this year's Denver beats the 2014 spurs lol. That was one of the best teams this century, they were unreal that playoffs. The mavs beat the heatles and OKC that year. Those teams are considerably better than anyone Denver has faced this playoffs, this is an all time weak path they have taken, with Miami being one of if not the worst finals team ever.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,127

Post#168 » by Effigy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:51 pm

Yes, I too miss that ultra-competitive 2018 finals when GS swept Cleveland, and we got to see the same 2 teams 4 years in a row! How awesome and thrilling that was for fans of the other 28 teams

People who started high school in 2014 graduated without ever seeing anybody but Cleveland and Golden State in the finals.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,510

Post#169 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:57 pm

Taj FTW wrote:
BeatDaCavs420 wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
How do you explain this then?

I've realized these don't mean much around here. Just like the Lebron stan boy around here who has the bulls as his team, but discredits MJ any chance he gets while munching Lebron lol

I know it's hard for you to fathom a Bulls fan liking LeBron, given that you hate LeBron more than you like the Bulls, and you literally change your username based on what team LeBron is on (lol).

It's possible to like the greatest player of a generation WHILE liking another team.

Go private message more people about me :lol:
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,515

Post#170 » by Dubnation » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:14 pm

youngthegiant wrote:The two finals with the KD warriors were terrible. They were way too dominant, no one stood a chance.

I never felt that way. I don't recall the Dubs blowing out the competition by 30+ every game. There were plenty of times I was nervous. Especially in 2019. that proved we needed everyone, and there was no room for error.
BrianFitz
Rookie
And1: 1,510

Post#171 » by BrianFitz » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:19 pm

Dubnation wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

True but they are one of the greatest dynasties the league has ever seen. And surely had more to do with changing the entire landscape of how basketball is played than any other team.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,009

Post#172 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:26 pm

I don't miss super teams at all.

Playoffs have been awesome so far.

Heat are a crazy underdog story, Philly had a chance to go far but blew that 3-2 lead to the Celtics, the Celtics almost made an improbable comeback from being down 3-0. These were also incredible stories.

Denver is a great team to support, they have the most humble superstar player posting historic stats. Jamal Murray is emerging into a top 15 player and they appear like they may be on the verge of the next dynasty.

The only unfortunate thing this year was injuries: Morant had his issues and Adams got hurt, Kawhi and George both got hurt, Chris Paul got hurt, Giannis missed a couple of games against Miami etc. Would have been great to see everybody fully healthy, but injuries happen every year.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Post#173 » by ShootersShoot » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:30 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

You must have been the one who started watching recently if you think this year's Denver beats the 2014 spurs lol. That was one of the best teams this century, they were unreal that playoffs. The mavs beat the heatles and OKC that year. Those teams are considerably better than anyone Denver has faced this playoffs, this is an all time weak path they have taken, with Miami being one of if not the worst finals team ever.

Its fun to speculate. The way I see it, Jokic and the nuggets beat lebron and KD led teams ..the 2014 spurs beat PRIME Bron and KD led championship contending teams.

2011 mavs went through KD, Bron AND kobe
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,551

Post#174 » by DoctorX » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:31 pm

jkvonny wrote:

Agreed my definition of a super team is 2 MVP caliber players playing together at the same time and the third option being a perennial all-star. I don't recall Manu or Tony ever being in the MVP discussion.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,456

Post#175 » by Woodsanity » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:33 pm

SK21209 wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
DorianRo wrote:

2014 spurs are very good and can beat the nuggets but even if they did it would be a tough series which is far from a whooping which is my point.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 3,009

Post#176 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:41 pm

youngthegiant wrote:The two finals with the KD warriors were terrible. They were way too dominant, no one stood a chance.

I wouldn't say "no one" as the Rockets had a 3-2 lead and maybe could have beat them in 2018 had CP3 not got hurt, but apart from that you are right, it was boring.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,803

Post#177 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=XUVPAdseiQqcZtSdDQaQmA

how could u not miss this.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,422

Post#178 » by Lunartic » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:53 am

ThunderScot wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:

This is it. There's a reason the term began being used with the Heat

You could even argue that the only proper superteams were The 2010 Heat, the 2017 Warriors and The 2021 Nets. Where proper superstars in their absolute prime came together to form a team stacking the deck. Maybe the 2014 Cavs as well?

The term was used heavily around that time but has never had some goofy ass definition requiring that players must join other players via FA or trade in order for it to be a superteam.

ESPN, BleacherReport and numerous other pundits considered OKC's big 3 to be a superteam despite them all being drafted

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34175176/nets-join-list-recent-superteams-never-won-championship
https://fadeawayworld.net/nba/the-thunder-superteam-if-they-kept-every-player-they-drafted
https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-kevin-durant-basketball-god-james-harden-basketball-genius-russell-westbrook-basketball-warrior-okc-thunder-gm-pays-due-credit-old-super-team

I can find tons of examples of pundits considering OKC a superteam but I suppose that doesn't fit some arbitrary definition people created in their heads. There's nothing "super" about acquiring a bunch of average players via FA, it's about the actual talent. If a team drafted

Curry
Nash
Durant
Duncan
Jokic

Everyone in the world would consider that a superteam
https://sportsbrief.com/nba/35650-ranking-superteams-kevin-durant-nba-warriors-thunder-top-list/

I'm afraid you are incorrect.
Every one in the world would consider that collection a super team, not a superteam. That is something entirely different.

Whether it is one word or not does actually make a rather big difference to the definition.

The rather concise, simple-worded explanation I have found is:

'A superteam is… any team who adds an All-NBA level player via trade or free agency and — including the new player — has a roster with at least three All-Star players during the season or partial season following the acquisition.'

Where did you "find" that definition?

It's absolutely cool if you like that definition and that's your view of it, we're all entitled to our opinions.

I just find it a bit ridiculous that "superteam" wouldn't apply to a team that drafted:

Curry
Michael Jordan
Wade
Duncan
Shaq

But would apply to:

Lillard
Will Barton
Luol Deng
John Collins
Vucevic

If the team traded for Lillard the season prior.

"Super" refers to talent. Not contract status or who traded for whom.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#179 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:44 am

Lunartic wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:
ThunderScot wrote:He's right, though.

A superteam is the sports industry equivalent of the rock superbands.

Scott Weiland of STP joins Guns 'n' roses (minus the whiny singer), that equals a supergroup.
Four boys from Liverpool form The Beatles and become (arguably) the most iconic music group of the Twentieth Century, still not a supergroup.

LeBron and Bosh join Dwade in Miami, coming in as stars from different teams to do so, that's a Superteam.
It doesn't just refer to whether a team has a lot of good players.

This is it. There's a reason the term began being used with the Heat

You could even argue that the only proper superteams were The 2010 Heat, the 2017 Warriors and The 2021 Nets. Where proper superstars in their absolute prime came together to form a team stacking the deck. Maybe the 2014 Cavs as well?

The term was used heavily around that time but has never had some goofy ass definition requiring that players must join other players via FA or trade in order for it to be a superteam.

ESPN, BleacherReport and numerous other pundits considered OKC's big 3 to be a superteam despite them all being drafted

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34175176/nets-join-list-recent-superteams-never-won-championship
https://fadeawayworld.net/nba/the-thunder-superteam-if-they-kept-every-player-they-drafted
https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/news-kevin-durant-basketball-god-james-harden-basketball-genius-russell-westbrook-basketball-warrior-okc-thunder-gm-pays-due-credit-old-super-team

I can find tons of examples of pundits considering OKC a superteam but I suppose that doesn't fit some arbitrary definition people created in their heads. There's nothing "super" about acquiring a bunch of average players via FA, it's about the actual talent. If a team drafted

Curry
Nash
Durant
Duncan
Jokic

Everyone in the world would consider that a superteam
https://sportsbrief.com/nba/35650-ranking-superteams-kevin-durant-nba-warriors-thunder-top-list/

I guess it really doesn't matter.

What I think we can all agree is that there are two different things. One thing is a team that has been amazing and won, and another one is top players coming together to form a team. You can call it whatever you want.

To me, superteam is the term used for superstars who collide to form a team (Heatles). Teams like the 90s Bulls, 80s Lakers, Spurs, etc...those are all time great teams, dynasties, whatever. I don't consider them superteams because that's not what I use that term for. But of course some people might use that term and it's fine. It's just semantics.

I just don't agree on comparing teams like the 2011 Heat/2017 Warriors to teams like the Spurs. They are completely different no matter how good they might be.
Big Lob
Pro Prospect
And1: 339

Post#180 » by Big Lob » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:00 am

The thing about the Heat, it was the moment Lebron became 'interesting' as a sporting persona, all the fallout from "the decision". Not just a great basketball player. That was the lasting thing to come out of the Heat super team. KD's deal was different, it ended up defining him down and he hasn't been able to shake that knock on him since.

Return to The General Board