ImageImageImageImageImage

The In-Season Tournament Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

The In-Season Tournament Thread 

Post#1 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:10 pm

Raptors games (dates TBD):

@ BRK
vs BOS
vs CHI
@ ORL
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,217

Re: The In-Season Tournament 

Post#2 » by HumbleRen » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:11 pm

I know there’s not much incentives for the players to be invested but I kinda love this ?

Regardless of how minuscule it means in the grand picture, it’s still exciting to see something new that doesn’t harm the product.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,339

Post#3 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:12 pm

Maybe winning this has been Masai's plan for the current roster lol.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#4 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:14 pm

HumbleRen wrote:I know there’s no much incentives for the players to be invested but I kinda love this ?

Regardless of how minuscule it means in the grand picture, it’s still exciting to see something new that doesn’t harm the product.

It will be even better when they expand by 2 teams and they have 32 teams total. World cup format of 8 groups of 4, with the top 2 making it out of the group into a round of 16.

I think what happens is teams treat these games like every other regular season game early on, but the teams that make it to Vegas will place more importance on it.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#5 » by HumbleRen » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:15 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:I know there’s no much incentives for the players to be invested but I kinda love this ?

It will be even better when they expand by 2 teams and they have 32 teams total. World cup format of 8 groups of 4, with the top 2 making it out of the group into a round of 16.

I think what happens is teams treat these games like every other regular season game early on, but the teams that make it to Vegas will place more importance on it.

I think so too. Hope they give it a real try and don't scrap it after 1-2 years.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#6 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:19 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

I think so too. Hope they give it a real try and don't scrap it after 1-2 years.

The real incentive for the players is that if this thing grows into something big, a lot more revenue is generated which means bigger salaries, bigger max contracts.

If the NBA can make the summer league into a thing, they can make this into a thing. A neutral site like Vegas is perfect for this. No player will want to miss that trip.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#7 » by HumbleRen » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:21 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

The real incentive for the players is that if this things grows into something big, a lot more revenue is generated which means bigger salaries, bigger max contracts.

If the NBA can make the summer league into a thing, they can make this into a thing. A neutral site like Vegas is perfect for this. No player will want to miss that trip.

It'll carry more weight for the next generation of stars. It'll be a normalized thing that they grew up watching as opposed to legacy players who are used to a certain way.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,871

Post#8 » by Jcity08 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:22 pm

The regular season award that teams who peak in the regular season always dreamed of. :lol:

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#9 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:26 pm

Jcity08 wrote:The regular season award that teams who peak in the regular season always dreamed of. :lol:

They should call it the Kobe Cup
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,871

Post#10 » by Jcity08 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:26 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:The regular season award that teams who peak in the regular season always dreamed of. :lol:

They should call it the Kobe Cup

That would be a good homage. I approve.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#11 » by KL78192020 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:38 pm

HumbleRen wrote:I know there’s not much incentives for the players to be invested but I kinda love this ?

These guys fight over 20k gambling debts. Lebron didn’t want to pay for twitter blue, I think they'll care about the 500k. Even second place gets some
money. These tournament part of the regular season games will mean more than the non tournament regular season games.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,127

Re: The In-Season Tournament Thread 

Post#12 » by Potential » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:43 pm

Friday night L in Orlando against the Magic to prevent us from qualifying u heard it here first. Fans calling for Masai and Bobby heads "we couldn't even make the regular season playoffs blow this **** up already"
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,323

Post#13 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:46 pm

HumbleRen wrote:I know there’s not much incentives for the players to be invested but I kinda love this ?

I agree. Meaningful December basketball seems fine to me.

To me the way to make the games more meaningful just seems so obvious to me. Just simply make them worth more.

Have each regular season win worth 1 point, and then based on finishing position in the mid season tournament have additional points awarded to teams.

1st = 5 points
2nd = 3 points
3rd = 1 point

Essentially winning the tournament is worth 5 wins in the standings.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#14 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:48 pm

Gimmicky stuff from Silver here
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#15 » by HumbleRen » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:54 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

To me the way to make the games more meaningful just seems so obvious to me. Just simply make them worth more.

Have each regular season win worth 1 point, and then based on finishing position in the mid season tournament have additional points awarded to teams.

1st = 5 points
2nd = 3 points
3rd = 1 point

Especially with how much parity there is in the league. Perfect time to execute this.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#16 » by HumbleRen » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:54 pm

KL78192020 wrote:

These guys fight over 20k gambling debts. Lebron didn’t want to pay for twitter blue, I think they'll care about the 500k. Even second place gets some
money. These tournament part of the regular season games will mean more than the non tournament regular season games.

:lol:

You might be spitting facts.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#17 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:02 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

1st = 5 points
2nd = 3 points
3rd = 1 point

Especially with how much parity there is in the league. Perfect time to execute this.

Exactly.

This feels like a perfect time to execute divisions as well. I figured that would be the mid-season tournament qualifications (divisional record). They mean nothing else why not incorporate those somehow.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,066

Post#18 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:18 am

The fact the games are just regular season games they play anyway, makes it all meaningless. Soccer as in the FA Cup and such play separate games. Plus they have a long tradition that can't be artificially created. Plus they have the underdog wrinkle of including teams from lower divisions.

If a player is due to sit for load management, is he going to be made to play because it's a tournament game? How are we supposed to be convinced that a handful of RS games are more important than the other RS games? It's all such a fabricated, artificial gimmick
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,066

Post#19 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:24 am

Tor_Raps wrote:Maybe winning this has been Masai's plan for the current roster lol.

Go all in for the Cup
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#20 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:29 am

WaltFrazier wrote:The fact the games are just regular season games they play anyway, makes it all meaningless. Soccer as in the FA Cup and such play separate games. Plus they have a long tradition that can't be artificially created. Plus they have the underdog wrinkle of including teams from lower divisions.

If a player is due to sit for load management, is he going to be made to play because it's a tournament game? How are we supposed to be convinced that a handful of RS games are more important than the other RS games? It's all such a fabricated, artificial gimmick

MY guess is future iterations of the tournament will address some of the weirdness. Probably some weird rule baked into CBA's or what not that there is "82 regular season games". In the future I am sure we see like 72 regular season games plus the mid-season tournament get expanded and probably count towards the standings separately somehow.

Sports IS a gimmick so IDK why suddenly this is the line. The playoffs are a gimmick. Why should an 8th seed Heat have a chance to make the finals?

Return to Toronto Raptors