Harden containment thread: Post new Harden trades here please

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

clippertown
Veteran
And1: 938

Re: Harden containment thread: Post new Harden trades here please 

Post#61 » by clippertown » Thu Sep 7, 2023 7:50 pm

HotelVitale wrote:I'm good with homer, but there's no point in the version of homer where you just repeat the best possible outcome for your team and ignore the rest of the context. Every one of these points you made is somewhere between lacking crucial subtlety and obviously unreasonable. I'm a Sixers fan but I'm not going to try to sell you James Harden or try to say how desperate your team is, because I know any actual decision will involve a realistic assessment of Harden's worth right now as well as the teams' various needs/situations now. No point in taking the extreme view on the trade board.

1. yes, WB had 3 good PO games, he's also had 3 full seasons of not being good before that and was awful in some other PO games, and he'll be 35 this season too. Taking those 3 PO games as his permanent Clipper reality isn't a reasonable assessment

2. yes the Sixers want to get the best possible return here, but there's levels to that--and there's no level where they're open now to taking pure expirings who won't help at all. The Clippers have some better players who they might be open to (e.g. Powell and Mann), but right now they don't want to jump at taking those guys at the expense of blowing their one-time max cap space this year. Not hard to get if you put yourself into the Sixers' shoes for a second

3. sure, be cool if that happens for the Clips, but it's a very unlikely outcome now and there's no point planning around it or discussing it as a realistic option. Need to be a perfect storm for that to happen, esp since it's massively against Harden's and the Sixers' interests here

4. yes Philly cares about dysfunction, no they don't care about it to the extent they're going to make a bad move now that greatly decreases their chances to compete with Embiid

5. yes Embiid needs to be factored in, no the answer isn't to dump Harden immediately for whatever junk is available

6. the Clippers only priority is to win now, no they're not the favorites as is and yes Harden would certainly help them

Again, not really agreeing with any of the points you made:

1. Westbrook had some off seasons for him once he got bounced from OKC. He needs the right system and with the Clips, he got it. You rule him out, but he is still a top performer. The season before last, he averaged a triple double in the playoffs. He needs time to gel with his new team and his role to be defined, but he is still an athletic freak and will be fine for a few more years.

2. There are very few expiring stars that both help Philly compete this year and are off the books next year. Philly wants its cake and also wants to eat its cake. You can't have both and no team is offering up what Philly demands. Unless Morey can convince Harden to play (and re-sign) for a team not named the Clippers, then I doubt this is a realistic possibility.

3. I would like to see an alternative option here. Harden is less likely to be traded now and he will expire at the end of the season and will lose his Bird Rights. You say this is a perfect storm situation, yet you offer no other realistic alternative. Its not like Morey has not already been shopping Harden for months, with zero interest from non-Clipper teams.

4. Philly cares about dysfunction but is not willing to do anything to address it? Seems foolish to me. You cant expect a max level free-agent to willingly join an obviously dysfunctional team who just brutally screwed a superstar. Makes no sense.

5. Embiid does not just need to be factored in - he needs to be the #1, #2, and #3 priorities for the team. Philly has the current MVP and is going to throw away both this season and maybe future seasons over not wanting Marcus Morris Sr? Crazy. I guess you do not believe that Harden will sabotage the season to force a trade, but I happen to believe this is the most likely scenario.

6. Clips do not need to win now. They are very content with the direction of the franchise. They are especially excited that top free agents are open to joining the team whenever it gets cap space. I agree they are not favorites, but they will make the playoffs at a bare minimum. Harden would help but is not critical and not worth giving up PG13 for example.

As I have stated many times, in a perfect world, Harden is worth a Kings ransom. In the real world though, he is worth expirings.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,422

Post#62 » by drosestruts » Thu Sep 7, 2023 7:58 pm

ejftw wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Are the raptors close to winning? Hells no. Why would we trade away a star who is willing to extend/re-sign for a one year rental?

Correction as I see it - Siakam is a star who is potentially willing to re-sign, and who is clearly not willing to extend (as evidenced by the lack of an extension).

I don't know what percent you put on either guy to stay, I understand Siakam's percent may be higher, but is that even the right move for Toronto with Anunoby and Barnes at the forward positions too?

I think a good offensive playmaker/assist guy - which Harden is, will be more beneficial for the development of Toronto's young players than Siakam.

Harden may be a better offensive playmaker, but not sure if want the attitude of someone that continues to cause disruptions off the court, and has done so on three straight teams, despite forcing himself to the latter two.

In my original Harden for Siakam post I touched on this, Harden is being painted as the bad guy in all these situations but there's always been more context.

Houston seemed to be pivoting from trying to contend to something less and Harden didn't want to be a part of it

Brooklyn had all sorts of nonsense going on with Kyrie

And in Philly it seems like he was promised something that wasn't delivered

All of it's speculative, and it's fair to take issue with how Harden handled the various situations, but I just think it's important to recognize that this has rarely even been Harden, in a good situation, just out of the blue becoming a headache.

Also of note, like many players with "bad reputations" it seems to be the media and fans who have an issue, rarely ever is it his fellow players or teammates calling him out.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,047

Post#63 » by GutUNC » Thu Sep 7, 2023 8:14 pm

clippertown wrote:
As I have stated many times, in a perfect world, Harden is worth a Kings ransom. In the real world though, he is worth expirings.

I've been down this road with you before and understand you're only going to see things through a wildly unrealistic prism so I won't belabor it. I'll just focus on this 1 last statement.

If James Harden (an expiring) is only worth useless expirings, then what possible downside do the Sixers have in waiting for the situation to possibly change with training camp weeks away? Worst case is you pay him not to play for a season and he expires. That obviously stinks, but is literally not 1% worse then trading him for other useless expirings. In fact, it's probably better because it takes a few roster spots you can use for young guys to show if they can play in the NBA during a wasted season.

:banghead:
GDTBATH
clippertown
Veteran

Post#64 » by clippertown » Thu Sep 7, 2023 8:53 pm

GutUNC wrote:
clippertown wrote:

I've been down this road with you before and understand you're only going to see things through a wildly unrealistic prism so I won't belabor it. I'll just focus on this 1 last statement.

If James Harden (an expiring) is only worth useless expirings, then what possible downside do the Sixers have in waiting for the situation to possibly change with training camp weeks away? Worst case is you pay him not to play for a season and he expires. That obviously stinks, but is literally not 1% worse then trading him for other useless expirings. In fact, it's probably better because it takes a few roster spots you can use for young guys to show if they can play in the NBA during a wasted season.

I don't want to stress you so I will move on from this thread. We are obviously not going to agree.

To answer your question (yet again), Harden is a negative value. He is worse than nothing because he is furious with the team. Its the long term damage that he will create that will make Philly very sorry they did not trade him. Vindictively having a star ride the bench is far worse than just trading him for lesser assets. Not sure why this is such a complicated concept, but I guess it is.

Either way, as a Clipper fan, I look forward to seeing James in a Clipper jersey when he is waived and we get him for pennies.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,711

Post#65 » by rzzzzz » Thu Sep 7, 2023 9:06 pm

If Harden shows up to collect his salary, but is disruptive, is there any reason why we can’t assign him to Delaware?
Meanwhile, let the Commissioner figure out what he’s going to do with him and Damian over demanding trade destination.
clippertown
Veteran

Post#66 » by clippertown » Thu Sep 7, 2023 9:48 pm

rzzzzz wrote:If Harden shows up to collect his salary, but is disruptive, is there any reason why we can’t assign him to Delaware?
Meanwhile, let the Commissioner figure out what he’s going to do with him and Damian over demanding trade destination.

I think you will find that sending Harden to the G-League will be a breach of contract. It won't carry a specific penalty, as long as James is paid every cent he is owed, but I don't believe he can also be penalized for ignoring the order and staying home as he never contracted with the G-League. If there is no spot on the 76ers active roster, then just waive the guy and move on.

This type of vengeance toward Harden is likely to be noticed by other players and agents and would backfire on the franchise.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#67 » by ejftw » Thu Sep 7, 2023 10:30 pm

drosestruts wrote:
ejftw wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
Correction as I see it - Siakam is a star who is potentially willing to re-sign, and who is clearly not willing to extend (as evidenced by the lack of an extension).

I don't know what percent you put on either guy to stay, I understand Siakam's percent may be higher, but is that even the right move for Toronto with Anunoby and Barnes at the forward positions too?

I think a good offensive playmaker/assist guy - which Harden is, will be more beneficial for the development of Toronto's young players than Siakam.

Harden may be a better offensive playmaker, but not sure if want the attitude of someone that continues to cause disruptions off the court, and has done so on three straight teams, despite forcing himself to the latter two.

In my original Harden for Siakam post I touched on this, Harden is being painted as the bad guy in all these situations but there's always been more context.

Houston seemed to be pivoting from trying to contend to something less and Harden didn't want to be a part of it

All of it's speculative, and it's fair to take issue with how Harden handled the various situations, but I just think it's important to recognize that this has rarely even been Harden, in a good situation, just out of the blue becoming a headache.

Also of note, like many players with "bad reputations" it seems to be the media and fans who have an issue, rarely ever is it his fellow players or teammates calling him out.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. Someone giving no effort on the court, showing up out of shape, throwing people under the bus.

None of that is Harden's fault. Poor guy. He was just put in horrible situations, against his will.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by GutUNC » Thu Sep 7, 2023 10:31 pm

clippertown wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
clippertown wrote:

I don't want to stress you so I will move on from this thread. We are obviously not going to agree.

To answer your question (yet again), Harden is a negative value. He is worse than nothing because he is furious with the team. Its the long term damage that he will create that will make Philly very sorry they did not trade him. Vindictively having a star ride the bench is far worse than just trading him for lesser assets. Not sure why this is such a complicated concept, but I guess it is.

Either way, as a Clipper fan, I look forward to seeing James in a Clipper jersey when he is waived and we get him for pennies.

This is fan fiction, but have a great day.

Classifying a team as "vindictive" for not trading a player who voluntarily opted in to his contract and then (in this hypothetical) becomes intentionally disruptive to force a trade to 1 and only team.....if only you could hear yourself talk.
GDTBATH
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,422

Post#69 » by drosestruts » Thu Sep 7, 2023 11:29 pm

ejftw wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
ejftw wrote:

Yeah, you are absolutely right. Someone giving no effort on the court, showing up out of shape, throwing people under the bus.

None of that is Harden's fault. Poor guy. He was just put in horrible situations, against his will.

This seems a bit hyperbolic.

James Harden was 4th in minutes per game last season, doesn't sound like something an out-of-shape player would accomplish.

Harden being fat and/or out of shape is one of the most oft repeated, illogical, fallacies I've seen on this board. It's such weird hive mind nonsense.

James Harden last season was:

4th in minutes per game
18th overall in Win Shares
18th in box plus/minus
13th in VORP
3rd in assist Pct
3rd in total assists
1st in assists per game

His TS% of 61% puts him in-line with scorers like Luka Doncic, Jayson Tatum, and Zach LaVine

Heck of an accomplishment for a guy you claim is out of shape and doesn't put in any effort on the court.

Perhaps just admit you're wrong about James Harden?
clippertown
Veteran

Post#70 » by clippertown » Thu Sep 7, 2023 11:36 pm

GutUNC wrote:
clippertown wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

Classifying a team as "vindictive" for not trading a player who voluntarily opted in to his contract and then (in this hypothetical) becomes intentionally disruptive to force a trade to 1 and only team.....if only you could hear yourself talk.

You believe that Harden opted in because he had no options and I believe he opted in because he was made a promise to be traded. Some of the media who were not in the room agree with you. Harden, who was in the room, appears to agree with me.

If you look at it from my perspective, Harden was lied too and is now being punished for being angry that he was lied too. Yes, benching a superstar for being unhappy is vindictive. Harden is not owned by Philly - he is no slave. If he wants out, then that is what he should get provided he is expiring, which he is. Maybe Morey should have told the truth and this could be avoided.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by GutUNC » Fri Sep 8, 2023 12:18 am

clippertown wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
clippertown wrote:I don't want to stress you so I will move on from this thread. We are obviously not going to agree.

You believe that Harden opted in because he had no options and I believe he opted in because he was made a promise to be traded. Some of the media who were not in the room agree with you. Harden, who was in the room, appears to agree with me.

If you look at it from my perspective, Harden was lied too and is now being punished for being angry that he was lied too. Yes, benching a superstar for being unhappy is vindictive. Harden is not owned by Philly - he is no slave. If he wants out, then that is what he should get provided he is expiring, which he is. Maybe Morey should have told the truth and this could be avoided.

In this hypothetical, he's being paid to go home because he's being intentionally disruptive. If he wants to come back and play, he'll come back and play - there's no "benching".

Also, remind me not to hire you as my contract lawyer.
GDTBATH
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,856

Post#72 » by Clav » Fri Sep 8, 2023 12:49 am

PHL trades - Harden, Bamba, 2024 NYK SRP
Receives - Norm Powell, Garry Harris, Victor Oladipo, PHL receives LAC 28 FRP (lottery protected) - if not conveyed 29 (1-10) - if not conveyed 30 (1-6), 2024 TOR SRP (unprot.), returned 2025 FRP (via OKC)

LAC trades - Powell, Covington, Batum, LAC 28 FRP (lottery protected) - if not conveyed 29 (1-10) - if not conveyed 30 (1-6), 2024 TOR SRP (unprot.)
Receives - Harden, Jeremiah Robinson Earl

OKC trades - Oladipo, JRE, T-Mann, Aaron Wiggins, returns 2025 PHL FRP
Receives - Covington, Bamba, ORL 2029 SRP

ORL trades - Gary Harris, 2029 SRP
Receives - Batum, Mann, Wiggins, 2024 NYK 2RP

Why -- Philly gets two scoring guards for Harden, and the equivalent of two FRPs (as one gets returned) and one is a distant Clips pick with descending protections. Oladipo is waived, that's the penalty.

LAC retain the core unit but must match salary swap, so Norm, Covington and Batum are out. gets JRE to help post production...

OKC helps to facilitate a trade with the landing spot for Covington which is essential in salary movement and gets Bamba for its effort, in doing so, helps soften the trade for Philly by returning that FRP. Reduces tax bill.

Orlando cuts salary on Harris but receives the less expensive Batum, and two wing players from OKC. ORL also receives NYK 2nd (unprot.) from Philly for helping in the salary move.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#73 » by ejftw » Fri Sep 8, 2023 1:17 am

True, he's in absolute shape.
clippertown
Veteran

Post#74 » by clippertown » Fri Sep 8, 2023 2:01 am

GutUNC wrote:
clippertown wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

In this hypothetical, he's being paid to go home because he's being intentionally disruptive. If he wants to come back and play, he'll come back and play - there's no "benching".

In this hypothetical, he is only being benched because Morey is determined to get an unrealistic return before trading him. If he was sent to another team, he would play just fine. He made it clear he no longer wants to play for Morey, you’re just not listening.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by GutUNC » Fri Sep 8, 2023 2:52 am

clippertown wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
clippertown wrote:You believe that Harden opted in because he had no options and I believe he opted in because he was made a promise to be traded. Some of the media who were not in the room agree with you. Harden, who was in the room, appears to agree with me.

In this hypothetical, he is only being benched because Morey is determined to get an unrealistic return before trading him. If he was sent to another team, he would play just fine. He made it clear he no longer wants to play for Morey, you’re just not listening.

Even your absurd hypotheticals don't include him being benched. He's under contract. The Sixers would like to have him back on the floor. The only way he isn't is if elects not to or if he's disruptive enough that the team asks him to stay away.

You're making stuff up. I guess because you think the arguments we make on RealGM have some sort of effect on what will happen? I guess? That's all I can come up with.
GDTBATH
clippertown
Veteran

Post#76 » by clippertown » Fri Sep 8, 2023 6:07 am

GutUNC wrote:
clippertown wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

Even your absurd hypotheticals don't include him being benched. He's under contract. The Sixers would like to have him back on the floor. The only way he isn't is if elects not to or if he's disruptive enough that the team asks him to stay away.

You're making stuff up. I guess because you think the arguments we make on RealGM have some sort of effect on what will happen? I guess? That's all I can come up with.

Relax mate. Don’t get too worked up. I’m sure the Harden situation will work itself out and everything will be honkey-dorey. He is “under contract” after all. I’m just going to grab my popcorn and enjoy the show.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,970

Post#77 » by One_and_Done » Fri Sep 8, 2023 9:34 am

This is probably the first time I feel I have no idea how this plays out. The only near certainty is Morey is the loser out of this.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,711

Post#78 » by rzzzzz » Fri Sep 8, 2023 1:19 pm

clippertown wrote:.
This type of vengeance toward Harden is likely to be noticed by other players and agents and would backfire on the franchise.

As Maxey says “it’s not our first rodeo.” And Embiid says he’s on board. We got through Simmons OK, and now he wants back!
Harden best replace his bogus young representation and repair the damage to his reputation. Meanwhile, the Clippers…
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#79 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Sep 8, 2023 8:51 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Going forward, I feel like we are probably due for this (again?).

So, with that introduction in order, what is your latest Harden trade?

Something is telling me that this trade is not gonna happen until the season starts.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#80 » by loserX » Sat Sep 9, 2023 3:14 am

My stupid bored-on-a-Friday-night offer:

76ers trade
James Harden

76ers receive
Tyler Herro
Robert Covington

Philadelphia ends the circus, and winds up with a dynamic young guard and a familiar face to add some defensive depth and then expire.

Heat trade
Tyler Herro
Kyle Lowry
Jaime Jaquez Jr.
as many 1sts as they can trade
pick swaps because why not

Heat receive
Damian Lillard
Marcus Morris

Miami gets their man, and a feisty-if-fading Morris up front.

Clippers trade
Robert Covington
Marcus Morris
Nicolas Batum
as many 1sts as they need to trade
pick swaps because why not

Clippers receive
James Harden

LAC gets *their* man.

Blazers trade
Damian Lillard

Blazers receive
Jaime Jaquez Jr.
Kyle Lowry
Nicolas Batum
ALL THE PICKS AND SWAPS

Portland does the best they can for Lillard, sending him where he wants to go, getting a young guy, probably more picks than anyone's ever received before, and some big expirings to flip/buy out/let run. It's surely quantity over quality but I'm not sure there's an offer with "quality" out there; could try to flip some of this stuff elsewhere for a single piece but this deal is already ugly enough...

Return to Trades and Transactions