2024 Play-In Tournament (East): #7 Philadelphia 76ers vs #8 Miami Heat

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins and enters the playoffs as the 7 seed?

Miami Heat
40%
Philadelphia 76ers
60%

Total votes: 222

SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,153

Re: 2024 Play-In Tournament (East): #7 Philadelphia 76ers vs #8 Miami Heat 

Post#921 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
Hatrick Ewing wrote:

I mean...they've made more Finals than the Suns with Butler as the best player sooo....

You mean they have lost more finals.

And nothing else matters in this league than winning it all. Heat dont have a roster that can win it all... Not with Butler as a first option....

So what you're saying is, the Suns have never mattered, because they've never won it all.

Now ur getting it.

Gotta teach these young folk.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,432

Post#922 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
Froob wrote:Jimmy is in a sweet spot where he gets credit when he scores 38 but nobody cares if he does 5-19.

He averaged 14ppg on 29% shooting while being swept only 3 years ago. Any other all star does that, it’s talked about all the time.

Dude gets a free pass for everything

Maybe because his teams have been in the finals/conference finals for 3/4 years while having half the supporting cast that a team like Boston has had? Lol

Maybe look at what Jimmys supporting cast has done for him through the playoff rounds to get them to the finals.

Herro was massive in the bubble.
Martin/Vincent huge last season.
Bam consistently good.

The supporting cast was good enough to be a finals team and #1 seed. The issue is Jimmy, not the supporting cast.

Celtics have outperformed their pre season expectations every single season Tatum has been there aside from last year.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,058

Post#923 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 am

oh look, fraudulent Jimmy Butler fails to live up to his reputation as a big game player. Color me shocked. I was also told Spoelstra was an amazing coach. Odd..
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,786

Post#924 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 am

Great win Sixers fans congrats

Nic Batum was incredible!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,941

Post#925 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 am

mpharris36 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Maxey is probably happy to see the Knicks. Brunson will be a little easier to score on than Holiday and White.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

he will be seeing OG
That makes sense, and Batum will guard Brunson. Seriously though, I think Brunson and Maxey average 35 ppg in the series. Both are below average defenders.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,608

Post#926 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:oh look, fraudulent Jimmy Butler fails to live up to his reputation as a big game player. Color me shocked. I was also told Spoelstra was an amazing coach. Odd..

It was still impressive they made the Finals as an 8th seed and a 5 seed. Those two have rarely been done in NBA history.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,765

Post#927 » by tsherkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:oh look, fraudulent Jimmy Butler fails to live up to his reputation as a big game player. Color me shocked. I was also told Spoelstra was an amazing coach. Odd..

This is sort of a clownish comment. Coaching can only ever accomplish so much. The guys on the floor need to get it done. You can be a great coach and still lose.

Butler had 5 steals and, shooting aside, still played well. Yeah, he didn't come up as a scorer. You can interact with his injury as you like, but Herro was a much larger reason for their problems than Jimmy. And it didn't help that Philly was so on point when they got to the line.

Also, Butler's 34. He's been injured every season of his career, so it's a hard 34. He was "only" a 20.8 ppg scorer in the RS to begin with; what were you expecting?
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,409

Post#928 » by titlebound1 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 am

ChipotleWest wrote:

It was still impressive they made the Finals as an 8th seed and a 5 seed. Those two have rarely been done in NBA history.

That bubble nonsense doesn't count. All of the seeding is out the window
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,458

Post#929 » by Knicks Byke » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 am

Mamba Mentality wrote:I refuse to believe that phantom foul call was anything but an effort to help secure the over on 209 total points. Porter incident got me thinking different.

he gets it.

sports has always been rigged.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,678

Post#930 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 am

ChipotleWest wrote:

Yes it was cool but just becasue they did those 2 times ( with extreme circumstances, bubble & unusual elite 3 point shooting) people just seem to expect them to do it every season. It doesn't work that way, there is no carry over effect from season to season. What they did last season has nothing to do with what will happen this post season.
GO MAGIC
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,937

Post#931 » by HotelVitale » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 am

tsherkin wrote:

This is sort of a clownish comment. Coaching can only ever accomplish so much. The guys on the floor need to get it done. You can be a great coach and still lose.

Butler had 5 steals and, shooting aside, still played well. Yeah, he didn't come up as a scorer. You can interact with his injury as you like, but Herro was a much larger reason for their problems than Jimmy. And it didn't help that Philly was so on point when they got to the line.

Also, Butler's 34. He's been injured every season of his career, so it's a hard 34. He was "only" a 20.8 ppg scorer in the RS to begin with; what were you expecting?

After that MIL series last year, Butler's clear of any 'fraud' alerts for his career.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#932 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 am

Heat have consistently overachieved in Playoffs, It baffles to see me people mock and blame low talent teams doing that, isn't that a good thing? there is nothing worse than to underachieve.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,608

Post#933 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:16 am

titlebound1 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

That bubble nonsense doesn't count. All of the seeding is out the window

Well they did it again anyway. Have to give credit where credit is due.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,119

Post#934 » by tmorgan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 am

Tyler Herro is the worst kind of bum… the kind that doesn’t know he’s a bum.
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,922

Post#935 » by Boardbreaker » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 am

Jimmy didn’t shoot well at all but it looks like he made his leg injury worse on his last steal and dunk because he was parked in one spot on both ends of the floor after that. It might have been better if they subbed in someone like Martin instead.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,340

Post#936 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:23 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
He averaged 14ppg on 29% shooting while being swept only 3 years ago. Any other all star does that, it’s talked about all the time.

Maybe because his teams have been in the finals/conference finals for 3/4 years while having half the supporting cast that a team like Boston has had? Lol

Maybe look at what Jimmys supporting cast has done for him through the playoff rounds to get them to the finals.

Bam consistently good.

The supporting cast was good enough to be a finals team and #1 seed. The issue is Jimmy, not the supporting cast.

Celtics have outperformed their pre season expectations every single season Tatum has been there aside from last year.

There is no way your post here will be well liked. The homerism makes it hard lol.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 6,922

Post#937 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:24 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Butler is washed up, not fair to blame him, he put up amazing performances in the past but his time is up unfortunately.

His amazing performances in the past were also partly held up by soft calls for foul baiting...the tap was turned off and he's much less effective.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,297

Post#938 » by picc » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 am

I can't believe more contenders didn't go after Kyle Lowry after his trade. I called it then that his regular season doesn''t matter at all. It never does. In the playoffs, he's a mf'er. Phoenix for example should have been doing everything in their power to get him. I of course don't know if they even could have, but they're the exact type of team that needs him.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,486

Post#939 » by og15 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:

Bam consistently good.

Butler gets a pass because people don't actually see him as a superstar, and also because the Heat have had team success. Team success tends to wash over individual play.

Think of someone like Rondo, we had playoff Rondo as a thing, but that's also helped by his great games being magnified, but then the poor games, it's like, "well he's just a basic All-Star type guy", or "scoring isn't his game". But then people want to compare guys in this situation to others guys who also have those great games, but then are expected to perform at a baseline level every game and don't get passes for meh games.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,217

Post#940 » by MrBigShot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Embiid with a very subpar performance to start the playoffs.

Herro showing why the blazers didn't end up doing a trade with the heat.

Also the jimmy slander is wild considering this guy took his team to the finals 2x since 2020 and nearly did so again 2 years ago against the celtics. Great playoff performer that had a rough one tonight.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James

Return to The General Board