Dalano Banton sets new NBA three point record… for most misses without a make

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,576

Dalano Banton sets new NBA three point record… for most misses without a make 

Post#1 » by Myth » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 am

First, dude understood the assignment, lose at all costs lol (losing helped Blazers own draft position and draft position of the pick they get from Warriors).

Anyway: 0-15 from three. Previous record was a 3-way tie at 12 (Justin Anderson, Brook Looez, Eric Gordon).

For those not following Banton, Blazers picked him up for a fake pick mid-season from Boston and he has been a rare bright spot. Super tall point guard (conflicting reports between 6’6” and 6’9”) who thrives at getting to the rim averaging 16.7/4.8/3.5/.9/.6 for Portland. Not known for his 3s but shot 33.9% for Portland despite much worse in previous seasons elsewhere. This game however was not a good example of him being a bright spot.
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,983

Re: Dalano Banton sets new NBA three point record… for most misses with a make 

Post#2 » by miamiheat319 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 am

NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 630

Re: Dalano Banton sets new NBA three point record… for most misses without a make 

Post#3 » by DLoMor » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 am

I agree with that Dion Waiters quote, that’s why he’s one of my favorite NBA players.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,257

Re: Dalano Banton sets new NBA three point record… for most misses without a make 

Post#4 » by TheSheriff » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:07 am

Myth wrote:First, dude understood the assignment, lose at all costs lol (losing helped Blazers own draft position and draft position of the pick they get from Warriors).

Anyway: 0-15 from three. Previous record was a 3-way tie at 12 (Justin Anderson, Brook Looez, Eric Gordon).

For those not following Banton, Blazers picked him up for a fake pick mid-season from Boston and he has been a rare bright spot. Super tall point guard (conflicting reports between 6’6” and 6’9”) who thrives at getting to the rim averaging 16.7/4.8/3.5/.9/.6 for Portland. Not known for his 3s but shot 33.9% for Portland despite much worse in previous seasons elsewhere. This game however was not a good example of him being a bright spot.

He is a perfect example of why you ignore those who score points on a bad team.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,308

Post#5 » by Mr Puddles » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:13 am

DLoMor wrote:I agree with that Dion Waiters quote, that’s why he’s one of my favorite NBA players.

So true, but I imagine some contrarian hipster to come out of the woodwork to 'educate' us that a player with 49% career TS should try to contribute to his team in other ways than chucking shots.
Spoiler:
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#6 » by K_chile22 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:22 am

That 33.9% was a small sample not inclusive of this, now he's at 31.1%. Probably just some regression to the mean
Myth
General Manager

Post#7 » by Myth » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:59 am

K_chile22 wrote:That 33.9% was a small sample not inclusive of this, now he's at 31.1%. Probably just some regression to the mean

You say small sample size, yet those 3s encompass over 58% of his total career three point attempts. So compared to others it is a small sample size only because of his career being relatively short so far, but if you think you can’t look at this stretch of 168 attempts as a good enough sample, then you certainly can’t look at his career before his stretch with the Blazers as indicative of his abilities given it is an even smaller sample size spread out over a longer period of time due to limited opportunities. This is the first stretch of his career of getting legit minutes. I also wouldn’t expect a repeat three point performance this bad either, given that not only is it an anomaly of performance, but an anomaly of a situation as Portland was tanking hard this game and clearly put the worst lineup they could on the floor and gave Banton a green light to shoot at will from 3 despite it not being a strength to his game. In future games, he’s likely to be expected to play more reserved from behind the 3 while surrounded by more competent teammates.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,834

Post#8 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:50 am

He left his mark on the league ! Otherwise he will be long forgotten in no time.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,460

Post#9 » by MrGoat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 am

What hasn't been mentioned here is he was also ejected from that game for committing a flagrant 2 to truly end his season on a high note. I was disappointed to see the only video about it on youtube had no clips of the missing shots or the ejection
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 828

Post#10 » by Gatorade Sax » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:45 am

Pretty good effort, I reckon I could give it a shake though.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,688

Post#11 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:38 am

Some ghastly looking attempts here folks.

MrGoat wrote:
Castle Black wrote:We have NBA history folks.

This needs a highlight video on youtube that has all 15 attempts on it

Highlights video.

60/21/10
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#12 » by queridiculo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:59 am

Dirk wrote:Some ghastly looking attempts here folks.

MrGoat wrote:

Highlights video.

I don't even mind the misses, but after a while you look really stupid holding your pose after one shot after another rattles off the rim.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,033

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:26 am

MrGoat wrote:

Highlights video.

One exception, but it looks like every shot is front rim short or air ball. Wow.

I like Banton. He's got all the tools but he just has to put in the work. Don't waste it.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,898

Post#14 » by QPR » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:47 am

Just giving his team mates offensive boards, what a legend
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,530

Post#15 » by Pattycakes » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:59 am

Myth wrote:First, dude understood the assignment, lose at all costs lol (losing helped Blazers own draft position and draft position of the pick they get from Warriors).

You’re just asking for the Blazers to get roasted over a 4th stringer right now during their single tanking season in like 20 years. Not worth it.
Myth
General Manager

Post#16 » by Myth » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:05 pm

Pattycakes wrote:

You’re just asking for the Blazers to get roasted over a 4th stringer right now during their single tanking season in like 20 years. Not worth it.

I don’t believe I made any extreme take. Me calling him a bright spot for the team has to do relative to how **** the team as a whole has been. I then provided stats that are simply factual. Never made any ridiculous claims or predictions. The thread was only made for the record that was set, but I kind of expected a “who?” response, so I provided some context of how he has played this season.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,742

Post#17 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:07 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

MrGoat wrote:

Highlights video.

One exception, but it looks like every shot is front rim short or air ball. Wow.

I like Banton. He's got all the tools but he just has to put in the work. Don't waste it.

Yeah in the first half every one except the buzzer heave was too short

Looks like he adapted because then he missed 3-4 deep before missing short again
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,734

Post#18 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:14 pm

9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#19 » by Joshyjess » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:42 pm

Looks like he forgot to eat his Wheaties that morning. Most of his shots were pretty short.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,939

Post#20 » by hauntedcomputer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:58 pm

At least Boban gave away chicken.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.

Return to The General Board