CLE - SAS Trade

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 14

CLE - SAS Trade 

Post#1 » by rambo_ortega » Sat May 18, 2024 8:17 pm

Cleveland get:
Keldon Johnson
Tre Jones

They get a solid starting SF who can score, shoot and rebound at his position. Something that Cleveland lacks at the forward spot. Also a solid PG who can either start or back up.

Allen/Mobley/Johnson/Strus/Mitchell

Spurs get:
Darius Garland

This gives Wemby an All Star PG who can feed him the rock and shoot from anywhere. Perfect complementary player for his development.

Collins/Wemby/Sochan/Vassell/Garland
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,938

Re: CLE - SAS Trade 

Post#2 » by giberish » Sat May 18, 2024 8:33 pm

IMO this is wildly overrating Keldon Johnson. IMO he's just a guy who gets minutes and shots because the Spurs don't have enough actually good players. When the Spurs become good he'll either be elsewhere or a minor part of their rotation.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,731

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 18, 2024 8:46 pm

Anytime you can trade an allstar PG for two bench players (one of who is really overpaid), you've got to do it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,505

Post#4 » by Chinook » Sat May 18, 2024 10:03 pm

Keldon's name gets brought up a lot for a guy no one wants.

I have expressed my frustration at the logic that some push saying young bigs should have young PGs as their running mates many times before. I don't love it, especially when the "young PG" is already on a max contract. It doesn't make too much sense to comment on this deal in particular, since its value is skewed in the Spurs' favor to the point that it just wouldn't happen. But the idea of Garland to the Spurs doesn't jive with me, and it's not really a matter of price, though obviously there are bad-"value" deals out there.

I don't think the Spurs should trade Johnson. The team currently has four players who have a straight-forward slot on the team for the next few years -- Wembanyama, Vassell, Sochan and Johnson. Jones is a very solid role-player, and there are prospects worth some note, but it's really just those four. The goal of this season to be to expand that four to eight or 10 guys, not to "upgrade" those guys at the expense of assets and cap space. They aren't close to winning a title. They need to grow. Wemby needs to grow. They need to draft and bring in guys who can help their players grow. They need to avoid expensive mid-career guys, as sexy as those moves seem to a lot of people.

When the time comes to chase players like Garland, the Spurs will still have a ton of assets to do so. But that time is not now.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,892

Post#5 » by mcfly1204 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:53 pm

Who is this mythical solid starting SF we are referring to?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#6 » by tidho » Sun May 19, 2024 3:00 pm

This one is a really easy no for me from CLE's perspective. It's either Garland/Vassel or I'd have no interest in a SA deal. Keldon Johnson is a JAG.

Return to Trades and Transactions