ImageImage

Ersan Ilyasova Update

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Re: Ersan Ilyasova Update 

Post#41 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks oshmeehan for all the updates on Ersan, I fully believe the Bucks continue to have interest in him and I look forward to seeing how he continues to develop.

Also thanks Chuck for the update on how Elson is doing.. nice numbers.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,539

Post#42 » by raferfenix » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:20 pm

I also think that Ersan will be here and playing a relatively large role next season. this year our team is too full of question makrs to make it worth the money to commit to him, especially since if he wouldn't get many minutes it would stifle his development (which appears to be going very well in europe).

I'm thinking that by next offseason we deal CV for something else and then we'll clearly have a role chocked out for Ersan. Plus, Skiles likes small ball as long as they play good defense as evidenced by his heavy use of Nocioni at PF.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#43 » by midranger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:53 pm

I watched the last minute of that game. Turkey won by 2. Looks like Tony Parker destroyed. All I saw out of Ersan was two bricked FTs that would have iced the game.

Also, who has a better center, Iceland or Angola?
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
oshmeehan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#44 » by oshmeehan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:11 pm

midranger wrote:I watched the last minute of that game. Turkey won by 2. Looks like Tony Parker destroyed. All I saw out of Ersan was two bricked FTs that would have iced the game.

Also, who has a better center, Iceland or Angola?

This was the final game for qualifying. Turkey was 5-0 and the only undefeated team in the whole qualifying tournament. Turkoglu didn't even suit up for the game

And that was unclutch by Ersan there with the 2 missed freethrows. But it would not have iced the game at all, they only would have been up by 3 then. Next time down France failed to score and fouled another Turkish player whom made both free throws to put them up 3.

Overall not a good game by any means for Ersan, but he didn't play all that bad. He still finished with 12 points and 7 rebounds.

Had Hedo played it would have been an easy win for Turkey. All France has was Tony Parker who was basically unstoppable with 37 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 assists. Hell Ronny Turiaf was 0-5 from the field and finished with 3 points, 4 boards and he fouled out. Another NBA player, Diawara, was 2-9 from the field
bacid
Ballboy

Post#45 » by bacid » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:20 am

Hey, people. Yesterday Ersan played in the Spanish Cup against Tau Ceramica with his team Barcelona. It was the first official game of the season for Barcelona. Barcelona lost with 70-73 but Ersan had a pretty decent game. He was the leading scorer of his team with 18 points and he had also 6 rebs and 1 very nice block.
Here is a video of the game: http://acbtv.acb.com/video/839
They mostly highlighted Navarro because it was also his first game after his NBA season. At 1:16 they show Ersan's block.
oshmeehan
Banned User

Post#46 » by oshmeehan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:10 pm

IMO Ersan's good play could be something of a 'bad' thing for the Bucks. It's great and all that he's been stepping up his game, but perhaps now he would garner a big contract over in Europe, something like 5 years $25-$30 million tax free. I can realistically see him putting up averages of 12-14 ppg and 7-8 rpg for the season, which over in Europe is actually really good for the style of play and the 40 minute long games they play over there.

Ersan said this summer he wants to come back to the Bucks and the NBA, but will money talk for Ersan?? I can't see the Bucks giving him anything more than a 3-year $12 million deal. I think that a big contract offer in Europe may be enough to keep Ersan over there, but you never know.

carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#47 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:17 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Ersan back in the Bucks uni sometime soon, but what position will he play? I'm stil unsure if he's a AK-47 type PF or more of a SF. If he is more of an SF, where would he get minutes with RJ, Alexander, and Mbah a Moute on the team? And I'm not even including Griffin.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
jeramey
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#48 » by jeramey » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:19 pm

Ersan's good play is a good thing. The Bucks reserve the rights to sign him again should he wish to come back to the NBA.

This means they could trade the rights to him in a deal. Those become more valuable the better he gets. And if he wants to come back to the league, they're even more valuable as a team knowns he will sign.
oshmeehan
Banned User

Post#49 » by oshmeehan » Mon Oct 6, 2008 4:55 pm

13 points and 7 boards in a 20 point blowout win for Barcelona over DKV Joventut (which is a good team) for Ersan in the first ACB Spanish League game of the season

Barcelona has a VERY balanced attack. They just signed Daniel Santiago a couple days before the game. Santiago has been a very serviceable player in Europe for a few years now.

Also here is an interview with Ersan about the upcoming games that Barcelona will be playing in Los Angeles in about a week and a half from now

http://euroleague.infrontams.biz/pubb/popup.php?id=1723

<a href="#" onclick="javascript:window.open('http://euroleague.infrontams.biz/pubb/popup.php?id=1723','','width=800, height=550');">edit your link here</a>
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#50 » by Joana » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:46 pm

Is this the Ilyasova Watch thread?

Barcelona lost their 1st game in the ACB this season, after three 20+ wins where they looked world-beaters. A lackluster performance for Ersan (10 poins, 1/2 2pt, 2/6 3pt, 5 rbs, 2 to in 24 minutes playing at the 4). Still one of the bests for Barcelona, it was indeed an horrible performance for them.

I'm not liking how they're playing under the new coach, with a high-low offense, the scoring very perimeter oriented and the guards (and Ily) chucking lots of 3 pts.

Ersan is still pacing himself, I think; getting to know the new coach and teammates; but his improvement from a year ago is truly remarkable.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,797

Post#51 » by emunney » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Didn't Barca get a new coach midway through last season? Did they replace the coach again, or is it the same guy?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Joana
Banned User

Post#52 » by Joana » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:17 pm

emunney wrote:Didn't Barca get a new coach midway through last season? Did they replace the coach again, or is it the same guy?

Yeah, it's the same guy, Xavier Pascual. I think they made a terrible mistake by firing Ivanovic. He's changing the schemes now (last season he only kept the things going on) and I don't understand why the team with the best forwards in the league is relying so heavily in the guards.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,797

Post#53 » by emunney » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:24 pm

Wasn't Ivanovic extremely hesitant to give Ersan consistent minutes, though? It seemed like Ersan had a hard time seeing the court until the coaching change, which coincided with his explosion and a couple extremely impressive playoff series. Interesting that Pascual would go away from what worked so well for them late last year and in the playoffs.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Joana
Banned User

Post#54 » by Joana » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Ivanovic was forcing Ily to earn his minutes. That's the right way of developing kids, I think. Ersan exploded later in the season because he was a much better player than he was when it started, not because the coaching staff had an epiphany and realized he was their best PF.

Pascual got Navarro and Barrett and he's not understand yet that Lakovic can win you a game but deliver loses in the next two all by himself. That's the only explanation for their style of playing.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#55 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:23 am

Ersan had 15 points, 6 boards, 3 assists and two steals against the Lakers tonight in 21 minutes. Los Angeles beat Barcelona 108-104. Didn't see the game.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#56 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:30 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Ersan had 15 points, 6 boards, 3 assists and two steals against the Lakers tonight in 21 minutes. Los Angeles beat Barcelona 108-104. Didn't see the game.

I posted my thoughts on this game in another thread but I think it's worth re-posting here:

Okay so I just finished watching the Lakers v. FC Bacelona game. Not sure who else stayed up to watch this but I thought I would give my opinion on a couple of things.

First, Sun Yue is horrible. He definitely isn't ready to play on this level at this point in his career (not even backup minutes) and probably should spend the better part of the next to years in the D-League. He's got great size but he clearly looked as if he had no idea what he was doing out there. As a result everytime they brought him into the game 15 point leads disappeared immediately due to his tendency to be turnover prone, poor handle and lazy passes.

Second, I was watching this game mainly because of Ersan Ilyasova, because I wanted to see how he has been developing.. And for the most part I hate the way FC Bacelona plays. They remind me of Golden State, a ton of three pointers and quick shots. Ersan probably feels like he is back on the Bucks teams of the past couple of years. Not good.

But in regard to his play, he definitely is more confident and seems to have eliminated that consistent and pesky pump faking from his offensive arsenal. He was as active as ever and tried hard to make things happen defensively. At times he was relegated to guarding Pau, Bynum, and Radmanovic (he was of coarse over matched in many of those cases). He started a little slow at first, making a few errors but he was hustling hard, hitting shots when they needed him too for the most part and very attentive on defense. Seems to have developed his midrange shot a bit more also. My biggest complaint with him is probably more of a coaching issue than his individual play. I would like to see them put Ersan on the block more because ultimately I think he translates more as a AK-47 type of PF on this level than an SF. He isn't quite quick enough to keep up with the elite SFs in the league so continuing to develop his face up and post game is essential in my opinion. Instead of staying with FC Barcelona, it probably would be best for him to come over and start working more with our coaches now.

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#57 » by trwi7 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:35 am

Getting these updates on Ersan is good yet depressing at the same time. Isn't Joe Alexander pretty much the same player? I would've rather brought Ersan back to fill in at the 3/4 and then either drafted a scorer to help off the bench (Bayless) or draft another big (Hibbert, the Lopez') to help out our terrible frontcourt outside of Bogut and CV.

I really like the 6 rebounds in only 21 minutes and when he was with the Bucks I always remembered him sticking his nose right in fighting for rebounds and loose balls.

And while he didn't have a particularly good shooting night (4-9) he went 6-6 from the free throw line and scored 15 points.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#58 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:37 am

As an additional thought to what I wrote about the Laker/FC Barcelona game thought I would also add how originally I couldn't see how we would use Ersan with Mbah a Moute and Alexander on the roster. However after watching him play agains the Lakers... I think I could see limited situations where Skiles could put him on the floor with Ridnour or maybe Sessions (once he develops a bit more) with a second unit of guys like Mbah a Moute, Alexander, and maybe Bogut where they come in to play a little D on an opposing run and gun team. I'm not necessarily saying they would all be out there together but some combination of these guys could be very impressive for short stretches of the game.

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#59 » by trwi7 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:39 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:They remind me of Golden State, a ton of three pointers and quick shots.

Yeah, I didn't see the game but I'm looking at the box score now. 40% of their shots were threes. I see he had five fouls. Were those legit fouls or was it weak ticky tack garbage that we see in the NBA nowadays? You said that he was guarding Pau and Bynum on occasion. I would assume that's where most of the fouls came from.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#60 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:43 am

trwi7 wrote:Getting these updates on Ersan is good yet depressing at the same time. Isn't Joe Alexander pretty much the same player? I would've rather brought Ersan back to fill in at the 3/4 and then either drafted a scorer to help off the bench (Bayless) or draft another big (Hibbert, the Lopez') to help out our terrible frontcourt outside of Bogut and CV.

I really like the 6 rebounds in only 21 minutes and when he was with the Bucks I always remembered him sticking his nose right in fighting for rebounds and loose balls.

And while he didn't have a particularly good shooting night (4-9) he went 6-6 from the free throw line and scored 15 points.

It depends. The league has moved more toward versatile and interchangeable G/F combinations that are athletic and can get up and down the floor. A team with Mbah a Moute, Ilyasova, and Alexander could definitely provide us with some of that.

Also it's worth noting that I see Mbah a Moute as a SG/SF/limited PF guy, Alexander as a SF/PF guy and Ilyasova as a PF/SF guy... With some development of their games (as I said in another post) I could see stretches of games where any combination of these guys or depending on how they develop all of these guys could be on the floor together for defensive purposes. Also depending on what we do with our PF position long term, I could see Ilyasova as a good backup at the PF who provides all of the things we get from CV with a little more defense.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks