ImageImageImage

Cavs Logjam of Guards

Moderator: jbk1234

Richfield
Pro Prospect
Posts: 949
And1: 660
Joined: May 12, 2019

Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#1 » by Richfield » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Guard-Forwards

Osman - 3M
Porter

Guards

Sexton
Garland
Dellavedova - 9M
Knight - 15M
Clarkson - 13M
Smith (Gone) - 15M

Other Salaries

Love - 29M
TT - 18M
Nance - 13M
Henson - 10M
Zizic - 2M


I left salaries off the rookies because I don't think Cavs plan on trading any of them, and their money is minimal anyways. Everybody else, with perhaps the exception of Nance, appears to be fair game to discuss moving. I am focused on the logjam at the guard spots, but included the other salaries in case they are part of a proposed package for a desired player you like.

Question is, Which guards to hold onto, and how many do we need?

I'll try to go first, but this is hard. don't know the answer to the second part, how many we need. With Beilein, he might want 4 competent guards (?), but I can only speculate. However, the wings can play some guard too, so I'd be okay with 3 guards total and having one of our wings fill in at scoring guard as needed.

Outside our rebuild guards, Sexton and Garland, the obvious 3rd guy to me is Dellavedova. I'm not sure this needs much explanation, but great mentor, knows his role, experienced, all about the right things. Okay not getting starter's minutes I assume. The fact that he makes less than the other two guards is a bonus.

Smith is trade or cut bait. That brings the focus, I think, onto Clarkson and Knight. Trade both, one, or none? I'd like to get some value for both guys if possible. Not sure what the market says about that. I'm pretty sure Clarkson has interest and his new agent can find him a spot. Knight, I'm less clear on. Would teams be interested? Which ones if so?

Why I feel that way is I think Knight would feel he's better than our rookies, and not be happy giving up minutes to new guys. That's complete speculation, and he might fit Beilein's system as well as any of the potential backups, but would would he be okay in that role?

And with Clarkson, it has to do with shots and tunnel vision. He'd eat up a lot of shots of our guys trying to develop, and I question his ability to let the ball keep moving in a system like what I think Beilein will be installing.

So I think it's time to move on from these two, but would like to hear any other ideas on this logjam at the guard spot. It seem a lot of teams will be looking for depth at guard so I think we can do better than just salary dumps for these two guys with experience and some production. Their salaries are high enough to trade each separately, but maybe there's some way to package one or more of them if we're doing an eat salary for future assets situation.

What to do with this logjam?
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,363
And1: 20,870
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Buyout Knight if you can. He'll be looking for minutes in a contract year and the first year he's totally healthy. Delly is staying because he's not taking a buyout and you're not attaching an asset to move him. Clarkson is tradeable but it might be better to wait until the season starts. I suspect that none of the guys on expiring contracts will be back tbh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
User avatar
substancej
Junior
Posts: 369
And1: 488
Joined: May 15, 2019
 

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#3 » by substancej » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:55 pm

In my opinion, the logjam of bigs is a larger issue
Kevin Love finna get traded
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,987
And1: 7,545
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:55 pm

Richfield wrote:Question is, Which guards to hold onto, and how many do we need?

Outside our rebuild guards, Sexton and Garland, the obvious 3rd guy to me is Dellavedova. I'm not sure this needs much explanation, but great mentor, knows his role, experienced, all about the right things. Okay not getting starter's minutes I assume. The fact that he makes less than the other two guards is a bonus.

What to do with this logjam?



Ultimately you'll need to decide if A) Sexton and D Garland can play together, B) If not, which one is the keeper.

For the time being, you obviously keep both for the forseeable future and experiment with them in different ways.

Delle as mentor seems like a good idea...as long as the kids are willing to listen.

Beyond that, everyone on the roster not named Nance should be made available when the time allows.



NOTE: JR Smith shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the locker room this season.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,635
And1: 2,469
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Richfield wrote:Question is, Which guards to hold onto, and how many do we need?

Outside our rebuild guards, Sexton and Garland, the obvious 3rd guy to me is Dellavedova. I'm not sure this needs much explanation, but great mentor, knows his role, experienced, all about the right things. Okay not getting starter's minutes I assume. The fact that he makes less than the other two guards is a bonus.

What to do with this logjam?



Ultimately you'll need to decide if A) Sexton and D Garland can play together, B) If not, which one is the keeper.

For the time being, you obviously keep both for the forseeable future and experiment with them in different ways.

Delle as mentor seems like a good idea...as long as the kids are willing to listen.

Beyond that, everyone on the roster not named Nance should be made available when the time allows.



NOTE: JR Smith shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the locker room this season.

Yeah none of this really comes as a surprise in a rebuild imo.
Knight needs to go by the DL as a salary dump and Smith is gone this summer regardless of if traded or cut.
teams have already been inquiring about the availability of Sexton , but the Cavs drafted Garland because of his ability to
play so well off ball aka off Sexton. And because Sexton showed the abilty to play well off ball last season where both are versatile enough to play together long term. I don't see either lottery guard traded but if one was , it would be the situation where Cavs were offered more than expected value that the Cavs could not turn it down.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,987
And1: 7,545
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:22 pm

:dontknow:


Time will tell, man.

I foresee a move down the line. I have no idea who it will be though.

C Sexton and D Garland both wrangling for control of the offense feels like it could be a repeat of the Kyrie - Waiters feud from years ago.
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,685
And1: 149
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#7 » by gflem » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::dontknow:


Time will tell, man.

I foresee a move down the line. I have no idea who it will be though.

C Sexton and D Garland both wrangling for control of the offense feels like it could be a repeat of the Kyrie - Waiters feud from years ago.

I dont see Sexton as having that big of an ego, but being that he was here last year, he might feel that he should be first option. However, Love I think will be option 1, running the offense through him when he is on the floor, and Nance when Love isnt.
I dont see the Cavs running a typical NBA offense, that being initiated by a PG but rather using a big in the high post and running motion off of that with Sexton and Garland spreading the floor.
But to your point I do believe that one of either Sexton or Garland will be moved sometime down the line, I just dont believe that they are going to coexist and be as effective as Portlands guards which is how they are being compared by some.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,363
And1: 20,870
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:58 pm

substancej wrote:In my opinion, the logjam of bigs is a larger issue
We have four centers and only one PF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,635
And1: 2,469
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::dontknow:


Time will tell, man.

I foresee a move down the line. I have no idea who it will be though.

C Sexton and D Garland both wrangling for control of the offense feels like it could be a repeat of the Kyrie - Waiters feud from years ago.

Neither of these guards are the personalities that match Waiters or KI.
I don't see any issue besides a good one where their competitiveness makes each player better not lessened.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
User avatar
Jamaaliver
RealGM 2018 NCAA Tourney Challenge Champ
Posts: 21,987
And1: 7,545
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:34 am

^Yeah.

I hear that 19 year old millionaire athletes are always team first and unselfish.

There's never been an example otherwise. :roll:
Trailbreaker
Junior
Posts: 307
And1: 106
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
     

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#11 » by Trailbreaker » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:34 am

Since I haven’t really seen Garland play, I must ask is he a pretty good 3 point shooter from NBA distance? It almost seems to be a requirement in today’s NBA.

If he is I would probably take Garland over Sexton, but I would like to see them on the court together for a reasonable amount of time first.
Image
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,635
And1: 2,469
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^Yeah.

I hear that 19 year old millionaire athletes are always team first and unselfish.

There's never been an example otherwise. :roll:

OK, let me spell it out for you: Sexton is proven to be a relentless worker who doesn't care about social media opinions or distractions and will do whatever it takes to contribute to winning. Garland has not proven this and may be the type that the $ goes to his head. Yet to be determined, but from the interviews my take is Garland although somewhat cautious in his opinion of the backcourt set up , also had to have given Altman a strong feeling that barring unforeseen issues, Garland is on board with the 2 combo guard back court where neither of them is the exclusive floor gen or he would have drafted White or Culver at 5.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,635
And1: 2,469
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:01 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:Since I haven’t really seen Garland play, I must ask is he a pretty good 3 point shooter from NBA distance? It almost seems to be a requirement in today’s NBA.

If he is I would probably take Garland over Sexton, but I would like to see them on the court together for a reasonable amount of time first.

I think Garland has the more "pure" jumper of the 2 guards. I do not think he is the better player though at this time.
Garland did show pretty elite shooting range in HS and has advanced handles , but lacks the tenacity and fire that Sexton plays with.
I think it will be a very good offensive pairing & assuming both improve defensively to at least be reasonably good, Sexton will defend the 2 guards(longer/faster) but handle the ball more running plays than Darius will. Garland to me will be a closer and 6th man type early on his career but can play well enough off ball or on ball to fit it with Sexton. Garland may ultimately prove to have better court vision as a lead guard , seems to be the common theme but I am not sold Sexton won't be better in that regard despite still learning.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Revenged25
Rookie
Posts: 1,147
And1: 350
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#14 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:08 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:Since I haven’t really seen Garland play, I must ask is he a pretty good 3 point shooter from NBA distance? It almost seems to be a requirement in today’s NBA.

If he is I would probably take Garland over Sexton, but I would like to see them on the court together for a reasonable amount of time first.


Sexton shot 40% on 3s this past year on 3.6 attempts... that's pretty damn good if you ask me. I'm really interested to see how this team plays with everyone healthy as I enjoyed the ball movement that the SL team was able to implement in their relatively short amount of practice. There were a lot of open looks that they created with the ball movement and if that can be replicated with the real roster then I think the Cavs won't be losing games due to a lack of scoring this year.
Richfield
Pro Prospect
Posts: 949
And1: 660
Joined: May 12, 2019

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#15 » by Richfield » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:51 pm

Jamaaliver maybe it's because you're a Hawks fan but pushing the narrative that KI and Waiters had a feud is neither productive or very accurate. That "feud" was more driven by the media who had nothing to write about, and didn't like Waiters or Kyrie, and internet posters like yourself. They got along good enough to play together. Just weren't great fits at that point in their careers.

Also, the "19 year old millionaire athletes" language revealing your jealousy or disdain treats those who fit that category as if they're all the same or behave a certain way because of their money whereas not everybody's character is changed by money. That combined with the "there has never been an example otherwise" sarcastic hyperbole is not welcomed because you're trying to change the discussion and it seems you're derailing the thread.

Pretty much nobody who pays close attention to the Cavs thinks that Sexton and Garland will have any type of personal issues with each other. Sexton is as described above, focused on winning and positive with teammates. Garland grew up with a father who played in the NBA, so to think that getting a little bit of money of his own will change him, when he has his father guiding him along the way and focused on the game, just doesn't make sense.

The purpose of this thread was to discuss what the Cavs will do with their roster OUTSIDE of the only two guys we're sure will be playing guard for the Cavs this season, Garland and Sexton. I think we're past the point of debating whether one of these guys is getting traded this season or at least until they've had enough time together to see what it looks like on the court. Cavs have two young guys with good character and talent, one of whom we know is improving rapidly.

This thread is more about the other guys in the backcourt that just won't fit with the Cavs plans moving forward for whatever reason, as there are too many veteran guards to keep happy when we start the season and at too steep of a price considering they're not the future for the Cavs.

So if possible, try to stay focused on what the thread is about, not on KI and Waiters or guard feuds of NBA history or how much more money these kids make than the average joe. This is about the logjam of guards on the back end of the Cavs roster, or as one person thought was more pressing, a logjam in another part of the court if they don't think the backcourt is an issue. It's about Cavs roster moves and what needs to be done to balance out the roster. If that's too hard to stay focused on I can link you back to the Hawks forum to focus on your team. Thanks.
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,635
And1: 2,469
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Logjam of Guards 

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:23 pm

to the point of the thread: I think the majority of guards will all have reasonable availability in the rotation at different levels and I do not think the priority will be on anything more than player development, but if not traded before the season starts I do think Knight and Clarkson will definitely get more minutes than most fans will like in order to boost value before the dl. I am not sold they will shop JC at all, but expect they will get calls if his 1st half of the season goes as well as last season and he would be moved if the return was better than what he provides off the bench, if not I think they offer him a contract next summer and if he walks for more $ he walks.
Thompson,Henson and Delly will all be available at the dl if not right now as well but the Cavs are not going to pay to move them so unless the returns are decent they will all fall off the books next summer.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers