ImageImageImage

Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

Invictus88
Rookie
Posts: 1,126
And1: 358
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#21 » by Invictus88 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:37 am

It's much better to just consolidate all of the bad contracts that we have to get through up front. We are going to be bad anyways; so we might as well be a little worse.

Otherwise even if we are better off we will still be somewhat limited trying to pay off old debts...
User avatar
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
Posts: 7,675
And1: 900
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Location: I plead the Fifth Dimension

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#22 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:07 am

Will stretching Blake help him recover from his injuries quicker, or will it just turn him into a useless 7' player like Maker?
And "nuclear" stretching? That seems SO 20th century. How about "quantum stretching"? That's more buzzword-compliant.
User avatar
tradez401
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,531
And1: 289
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#23 » by tradez401 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:55 pm

just keep him hope he gets healthy, puts on a solid numbers and a team like the knicks trades for him lol.
User avatar
pistonsbball
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,345
And1: 574
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#24 » by pistonsbball » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:03 am

No need to stretch, cap space means nothing for us for the next few seasons.

I'd definitely be looking to limit Blake to around 25 minutes a game. You'd rather a couple of seasons of decent production from those minutes than one good season and for him to break down again. He should work with Wood in theory, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen like that. I can see him clogging the lane, slowing down the offense and denying Wood touches, slowing his development.
hoophabit
Analyst
Posts: 3,430
And1: 1,236
Joined: Jan 19, 2002
 

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#25 » by hoophabit » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:59 pm

No, take that bitter draught in one gulp and get it over with.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 7,673
And1: 161
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#26 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu May 7, 2020 3:19 am

It’s a bad idea unless there an trade proposal that would require it.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
User avatar
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
Posts: 46,135
And1: 10,821
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#27 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 am

Allan Houston type buyout!!!
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 21,682
And1: 1,823
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#28 » by bstein14 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:42 am

The only way that stretching him would make sense is if you could use that $17 million of cap space you'd gain this year to get some great assets. If you could get a good young player or two and some 1st rounders it might be worth considering. If have a chance to get some great assets I think you could go for it. If not, it hurts you for four years so its not worth doing.
Crymson
Senior
Posts: 580
And1: 217
Joined: Apr 17, 2016

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#29 » by Crymson » Wed May 20, 2020 4:26 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Allan Houston type buyout!!!


At which point Gores will give Griffin $75 million to go away, even though the Pistons are rebuilding and don't need the cap space? I doubt it.

That would be by far the most expensive contract buyout in NBA history. Gilbert Arenas holds the current record at less than half that amount.
Invictus88
Rookie
Posts: 1,126
And1: 358
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#30 » by Invictus88 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:23 pm

I am the definition of insanity.

I keep coming back here by habit and keep seeing the same 4 or 5 threads being 'resurrected' by replies; even though there is no new content presented and the opinions expressed are basically the same. There's no logical reason to expect new topics because there's no news.

I'm guilty of it myself. I *want* there to be something to talk about. I think I'm not the only one?

Sorry for the ramble. Just thought it was funny :)
User avatar
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
Posts: 46,135
And1: 10,821
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#31 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed May 20, 2020 9:46 pm

bstein14 wrote:The only way that stretching him would make sense is if you could use that $17 million of cap space you'd gain this year to get some great assets. If you could get a good young player or two and some 1st rounders it might be worth considering. If have a chance to get some great assets I think you could go for it. If not, it hurts you for four years so its not worth doing.


Unless, the plan is to lose as many games for pics as possible for 2 years maybe.
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 7,673
And1: 161
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#32 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Invictus88 wrote:I am the definition of insanity.

I keep coming back here by habit and keep seeing the same 4 or 5 threads being 'resurrected' by replies; even though there is no new content presented and the opinions expressed are basically the same. There's no logical reason to expect new topics because there's no news.

I'm guilty of it myself. I *want* there to be something to talk about. I think I'm not the only one?

Sorry for the ramble. Just thought it was funny :)


This issue is life without sports. It sucks just being forced to wait for the lotto.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,509
And1: 7,937
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#33 » by Manocad » Thu May 21, 2020 10:01 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:I am the definition of insanity.

I keep coming back here by habit and keep seeing the same 4 or 5 threads being 'resurrected' by replies; even though there is no new content presented and the opinions expressed are basically the same. There's no logical reason to expect new topics because there's no news.

I'm guilty of it myself. I *want* there to be something to talk about. I think I'm not the only one?

Sorry for the ramble. Just thought it was funny :)


This issue is life without sports. It sucks just being forced to wait for the lotto.

I'm actually surprised at how little I've missed it, and I'm a big sports fan. It's just that the Pistons, Tigers and Wings were all so bad that it was a struggle to watch the games and get much entertainment out of it. My brain has already moved on to football.
Image
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 7,673
And1: 161
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#34 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Manocad wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:I am the definition of insanity.

I keep coming back here by habit and keep seeing the same 4 or 5 threads being 'resurrected' by replies; even though there is no new content presented and the opinions expressed are basically the same. There's no logical reason to expect new topics because there's no news.

I'm guilty of it myself. I *want* there to be something to talk about. I think I'm not the only one?

Sorry for the ramble. Just thought it was funny :)


This issue is life without sports. It sucks just being forced to wait for the lotto.

I'm actually surprised at how little I've missed it, and I'm a big sports fan. It's just that the Pistons, Tigers and Wings were all so bad that it was a struggle to watch the games and get much entertainment out of it. My brain has already moved on to football.


I’m done with the hockey/basketball season. I kinda want a little baseball despite the Tigers being garbage.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
User avatar
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
Posts: 46,135
And1: 10,821
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#35 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 22, 2020 1:10 am

Manocad wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:I am the definition of insanity.

I keep coming back here by habit and keep seeing the same 4 or 5 threads being 'resurrected' by replies; even though there is no new content presented and the opinions expressed are basically the same. There's no logical reason to expect new topics because there's no news.

I'm guilty of it myself. I *want* there to be something to talk about. I think I'm not the only one?

Sorry for the ramble. Just thought it was funny :)


This issue is life without sports. It sucks just being forced to wait for the lotto.

I'm actually surprised at how little I've missed it, and I'm a big sports fan. It's just that the Pistons, Tigers and Wings were all so bad that it was a struggle to watch the games and get much entertainment out of it. My brain has already moved on to football.


How about them Lions?
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
DetroitDon15
General Manager
Posts: 7,673
And1: 161
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: Michigan
         

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#36 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Manocad wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
This issue is life without sports. It sucks just being forced to wait for the lotto.

I'm actually surprised at how little I've missed it, and I'm a big sports fan. It's just that the Pistons, Tigers and Wings were all so bad that it was a struggle to watch the games and get much entertainment out of it. My brain has already moved on to football.


How about them Lions?


:banghead:
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
Invictus88
Rookie
Posts: 1,126
And1: 358
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Nuclear Option: Stretching Blake Griffin 

Post#37 » by Invictus88 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Manocad wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
This issue is life without sports. It sucks just being forced to wait for the lotto.

I'm actually surprised at how little I've missed it, and I'm a big sports fan. It's just that the Pistons, Tigers and Wings were all so bad that it was a struggle to watch the games and get much entertainment out of it. My brain has already moved on to football.


How about them Lions?


Yeah... everything kind of made sense in this thread until BMP brought things back to reality :)

Return to Detroit Pistons