ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ChuckDurn
Veteran
Posts: 2,777
And1: 354
Joined: May 13, 2011

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#901 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:05 am

Mylie10 wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:Vucevic out 4 weeks, hmmm :wink:

WCS to Magic for 2024 2nd rd pick? Or are we aiming for 2020 2nd? Don't wanna ask for too much cause still want them to take our calls later in case we're dealing Dlo.


All I want from Orlando for Willie is 2 free passes to Disney World.

I kind of agree. I don’t know if an asset can be extracted for WCS, given that he’s an expiring, and not offering much. But right now, he’d be the guy I’d be looking to move - I’m stunned to say this, but I’d rather see Chris’s stick around, and we need to dump something to sign Bowman to a standard deal, or he’ll be sitting in the G-League for a couple of months when we simply need a PG somewhere......
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
cdubbz
RealGM
Posts: 10,575
And1: 1,651
Joined: May 05, 2005
Location: Oakland
 

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#902 » by cdubbz » Mon Dec 2, 2019 6:04 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
azwfan wrote:WCS to Magic for 2024 2nd rd pick? Or are we aiming for 2020 2nd? Don't wanna ask for too much cause still want them to take our calls later in case we're dealing Dlo.


All I want from Orlando for Willie is 2 free passes to Disney World.

I kind of agree. I don’t know if an asset can be extracted for WCS, given that he’s an expiring, and not offering much. But right now, he’d be the guy I’d be looking to move - I’m stunned to say this, but I’d rather see Chris’s stick around, and we need to dump something to sign Bowman to a standard deal, or he’ll be sitting in the G-League for a couple of months when we simply need a PG somewhere......


WCS is part of my package for Drummond and Morris! He will be their Center haha
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM
Posts: 10,575
And1: 1,651
Joined: May 05, 2005
Location: Oakland
 

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#903 » by cdubbz » Wed Dec 4, 2019 7:54 pm

How exactly does the trade exception work? The Iggy TE is $17million — I’m guessing we can just trade that for a player of $17mil contract? Or pair it with another players salary for a trade correct?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
xdrta+
Veteran
Posts: 2,754
And1: 1,871
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#904 » by xdrta+ » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:07 pm

cdubbz wrote:How exactly does the trade exception work? The Iggy TE is $17million — I’m guessing we can just trade that for a player of $17mil contract? Or pair it with another players salary for a trade correct?


Trade exceptions are never traded. A TE is an exception to the cap that allows a team to go over the cap in order to take back more salary than they send out. In this case, $17M more, so the Warriors could trade a draft pick ($0) for up to a $17M player even though they're over the cap. You can only use it for trades or to claim someone off waivers.

In theory, this is the completion of the Iguodala trade, known as a non-simultaneous trade. They have one year to complete the trade. Hope this helps.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 841
And1: 344
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#905 » by killmongrel » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:08 pm

cdubbz wrote:How exactly does the trade exception work? The Iggy TE is $17million — I’m guessing we can just trade that for a player of $17mil contract? Or pair it with another players salary for a trade correct?
If a team for whatever reason doesn't want to keep a player, the Warriors can make a deal to take that player and get them off the other team's books without having to send over salary. It's like an MLE except we can't use it on free agents. In other words, we'd be taking a salary that has been considered undesirable. Doesn't mean there aren't any good players to possibly sign using the TPE, but it's tricky. We may have to incentivize the deal with a pick or picks. We can use as much of the TPE to match a salary, or as little. We just can't bundle it with another salary if the player we want makes more than 17m.
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 37,684
And1: 8,215
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#906 » by Mylie10 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:58 pm

killmongrel wrote:
cdubbz wrote:How exactly does the trade exception work? The Iggy TE is $17million — I’m guessing we can just trade that for a player of $17mil contract? Or pair it with another players salary for a trade correct?
If a team for whatever reason doesn't want to keep a player, the Warriors can make a deal to take that player and get them off the other team's books without having to send over salary. It's like an MLE except we can't use it on free agents. In other words, we'd be taking a salary that has been considered undesirable. Doesn't mean there aren't any good players to possibly sign using the TPE, but it's tricky. We may have to incentivize the deal with a pick or picks. We can use as much of the TPE to match a salary, or as little. We just can't bundle it with another salary if the player we want makes more than 17m.


Also CDubbz,

You can break the 17 mil exception into two players. For instance you can do a deal for a guy making 8 mil, and then a separate deal for a another guy up to 9 mil. They just can't be combined into one deal.

So if you find two different players whose salary fits under the 17 mil it can really help you fill our your roster.

But like others have said the incentive to do this is not great without the Warriors adding picks or future picks to the deal.

And we only have one week in the summer to get it done.
azwfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,891
And1: 1,501
Joined: May 21, 2004
     

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#907 » by azwfan » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:35 am

Burks was traded for a 1st rd pick last year. He's playing better this year.
Could probably get a 1st for GR3 at this point also.
WCS... someone please take him.

Get to work Bob.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
BW32
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,226
And1: 729
Joined: Nov 08, 2009

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#908 » by BW32 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 7:20 am

azwfan wrote:Burks was traded for a 1st rd pick last year. He's playing better this year.
Could probably get a 1st for GR3 at this point also.
WCS... someone please take him.

Get to work Bob.


Burks expiring contract was traded for taking an extra year on Brandon Knight, Burks himself was maybe worth a second tho I would bet he was worthless.

Truth is meh role players don't go for firsts, trades like that usually involve eating some garbage contract with an extra year to get a first and we obviously can't do that since those players make peanuts and we are also hard capped.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 12,521
And1: 4,653
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#909 » by cpower » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:18 pm

We need to make trades for next year now. 25 games in and we are not getting better defensively, we need help
Samurai
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,355
And1: 1,703
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
     

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#910 » by Samurai » Sat Dec 7, 2019 5:50 pm

cpower wrote:We need to make trades for next year now. 25 games in and we are not getting better defensively, we need help

Why make a trade now? If our defense is bad, that helps our tanking efforts to get a higher draft pick for next year; if we improve our defense now, then it increases the chance to win more games this season which would hurt our draft position. Seems to make a lot more sense to make a trade in the off-season to let our tank roll this season and then build the best team we can, offensively and defensively, to compete next season.
azwfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,891
And1: 1,501
Joined: May 21, 2004
     

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#911 » by azwfan » Sat Dec 7, 2019 6:16 pm

BW32 wrote:
azwfan wrote:Burks was traded for a 1st rd pick last year. He's playing better this year.
Could probably get a 1st for GR3 at this point also.
WCS... someone please take him.

Get to work Bob.


Burks expiring contract was traded for taking an extra year on Brandon Knight, Burks himself was maybe worth a second tho I would bet he was worthless.

Truth is meh role players don't go for firsts, trades like that usually involve eating some garbage contract with an extra year to get a first and we obviously can't do that since those players make peanuts and we are also hard capped.

Such a buzz kill. :lol:

You're right though. Mainly just want WCS gone - but if that isn't easy enough hoping we can get something worthwhile for Burks / GR3.

In other news, after watching a few SCW games (honestly only a pieces of a few games), I'm thinking its going to be Juan Toscano Anderson or Devyn Marble for the other 2-way spot after we get Bowman on a NBA deal. Both seem to be very... g league... but I like their defensive acumen and hustle. Not sure either is worth a damn offensively... though i'd say Marble is easily ahead of JTA on that side of the floor - with JTA being the better defender. I don't think either has much of a future in the NBA, but they should both be more entertaining (at least for a few games) than WCS.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 12,521
And1: 4,653
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#912 » by cpower » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:28 am

looks like Covington will get traded soon, he is drawing massive attention right now...If we don't pull the trigger now it will be very difficult to find someone as good fit as he is ..
xdrta+
Veteran
Posts: 2,754
And1: 1,871
Joined: Jun 18, 2018

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#913 » by xdrta+ » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:38 am

I hope they wait until summer to trade Russell. Package him with a high draft pick and get real talent. Covington doesn't do it for me.
killmongrel
Pro Prospect
Posts: 841
And1: 344
Joined: Sep 18, 2018
 

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#914 » by killmongrel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:58 am

cpower wrote:looks like Covington will get traded soon, he is drawing massive attention right now...If we don't pull the trigger now it will be very difficult to find someone as good fit as he is ..
Why do you say that? Also, I won't lose any sleep if Covington gets traded. He's not worth giving up DLo.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 12,521
And1: 4,653
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#915 » by cpower » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:31 am

xdrta+ wrote:I hope they wait until summer to trade Russell. Package him with a high draft pick and get real talent. Covington doesn't do it for me.

tell me who is the real talent that makes us a contender again?
ahmetmekin
Sophomore
Posts: 160
And1: 115
Joined: Apr 21, 2018

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#916 » by ahmetmekin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:39 am

cpower wrote:looks like Covington will get traded soon, he is drawing massive attention right now...If we don't pull the trigger now it will be very difficult to find someone as good fit as he is ..

Covington+FRP+filler for Dlo would be a sweet deal.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 12,521
And1: 4,653
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#917 » by cpower » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:41 am

ahmetmekin wrote:
cpower wrote:looks like Covington will get traded soon, he is drawing massive attention right now...If we don't pull the trigger now it will be very difficult to find someone as good fit as he is ..

Covington+FRP+filler for Dlo would be a sweet deal.

too bad people dont look at fit and chemistry instead look for "scorers and stars"
ahmetmekin
Sophomore
Posts: 160
And1: 115
Joined: Apr 21, 2018

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#918 » by ahmetmekin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:45 am

cpower wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:
cpower wrote:looks like Covington will get traded soon, he is drawing massive attention right now...If we don't pull the trigger now it will be very difficult to find someone as good fit as he is ..

Covington+FRP+filler for Dlo would be a sweet deal.

too bad people dont look at fit and chemistry instead look for "scorers and stars"

A legit SF (considering KD and Iggy are gone at the same time) is obligatory to be a real contender. Pretty much all better options are either superstars or rising stars. If they don't get Covington soon they will most likely get a worse player in summer.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 12,521
And1: 4,653
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#919 » by cpower » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:27 am

ahmetmekin wrote:
cpower wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:Covington+FRP+filler for Dlo would be a sweet deal.

too bad people dont look at fit and chemistry instead look for "scorers and stars"

A legit SF (considering KD and Iggy are gone at the same time) is obligatory to be a real contender. Pretty much all better options are either superstars or rising stars. If they don't get Covington soon they will most likely get a worse player in summer.

or we end up with DLO/Curry/Klay lineup would pretty much guarantee the worst defense in the league, next year DLO's value will be worse and Curry is 33. I think the era is over either way unless you get Giannis
BballIntellect
Sophomore
Posts: 194
And1: 53
Joined: Sep 04, 2019
   

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#920 » by BballIntellect » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:32 pm

cpower wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:
cpower wrote:too bad people dont look at fit and chemistry instead look for "scorers and stars"

A legit SF (considering KD and Iggy are gone at the same time) is obligatory to be a real contender. Pretty much all better options are either superstars or rising stars. If they don't get Covington soon they will most likely get a worse player in summer.

or we end up with DLO/Curry/Klay lineup would pretty much guarantee the worst defense in the league, next year DLO's value will be worse and Curry is 33. I think the era is over either way unless you get Giannis


We won't be the worst defense. Probably bottom 10 tho. And why would Dlo's value be worse next year?

Return to Golden State Warriors