ImageImage

Was that tip-in good?

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Was that tip-in good?

Yes
13
46%
No
15
54%
 
Total votes: 28

compucomp
Banned User
Posts: 1,201
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 24, 2007

Was that tip-in good? 

Post#1 » by compucomp » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:17 am

Did Foyle make it in time? I thought the replay was very inconclusive, but to me it looked like he didn't get it off. Whatever, we totally needed that win and I'll take it any way I can get.
User avatar
Shabi__5
Head Coach
Posts: 6,431
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 17, 2005

 

Post#2 » by Shabi__5 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:22 am

It was too close for me , you really couldn't tell thats why IMO you HAVE to count it.
Image
RoxFan08
Veteran
Posts: 2,775
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 14, 2007

 

Post#3 » by RoxFan08 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:24 am

I not only thought he got it off in time, I think the officials HAD to call an overtime and let the better team win, ESPECIALLY since the game was in Orlando.
User avatar
Iggyemu
RealGM
Posts: 22,376
And1: 0
Joined: Jan 22, 2003
Location: Jacksonville

 

Post#4 » by Iggyemu » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:36 am

Adonal Foyle and tying basket don't go in the same sentence. Thats exactly what the refs were thinking too.
"One Ring makes a Champion......Six Rings make a Legend" - Michael Jeffrey Jordan
User avatar
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,947
And1: 159
Joined: Jun 30, 2006
Location: 9th Seed

 

Post#5 » by TMACFORMVP » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:37 am

Really is too close to call, but had I been a referee I would have likely called it good.
User avatar
MaxRider
RealGM
Posts: 44,468
And1: 5,792
Joined: Jun 08, 2005
Location: Choke City
 

 

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:03 am

just watch it like 5x again
i don't think he got it off in time
User avatar
McTracy
Rookie
Posts: 1,020
And1: 0
Joined: Nov 24, 2007

 

Post#7 » by McTracy » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:04 am

For me it was a clear good tip. But I'm happy with the decision
IT'S TIME
User avatar
TiMacMania
RealGM
Posts: 14,934
And1: 0
Joined: Dec 11, 2004
Location: T-Mac is back

 

Post#8 » by TiMacMania » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:04 am

i think it was pretty close
BaYBaller
Veteran
Posts: 2,696
And1: 116
Joined: May 12, 2006

 

Post#9 » by BaYBaller » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:45 am

They only had one angle on it and on that angle it did not conclusively show he did get it off.
User avatar
HTown_TMac
General Manager
Posts: 9,060
And1: 222
Joined: Oct 08, 2005
Location: Houston, Texas.
   

 

Post#10 » by HTown_TMac » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:47 am

The shot was good.. IF I were a ref it would have been good...
BUT WHO CARES WE WON!
Image
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
User avatar
RaoulDuke79
General Manager
Posts: 8,663
And1: 1,574
Joined: Jul 31, 2006
Location: purchasing stunning amounts of pudding.

 

Post#11 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:38 am

After watching it about 3-4x in slow-mo it looked way too close too call but I'd lean towards he didn't get it off in time(maybe I am biased but seriously it looked like it was still on the tip of his finger as the red came on).

However, as other people mentioned, they probably should call it good and atleast sent it to OT and let the "better" team win(which was clearly us, thanks).

I was absolutely shocked they gave us the call though, that was a surprise. I mean, I know the officiating during the game was fantastic and competely accurate(TEE HEE). However, I'm happy for the win and all that jazz.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
DraftBoy10
Banned User
Posts: 5,168
And1: 2
Joined: Apr 03, 2005
Location: Computer

 

Post#12 » by DraftBoy10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:40 am

ESPN showed an angle of it where Foyle's fingertips were still on it at the red light. That angle showed that it wasn't off in time, but from what FSN was showing--i'd count it.
User avatar
dunleavyjr
General Manager
Posts: 8,842
And1: 54
Joined: Dec 06, 2002
Location: Turning 24

 

Post#13 » by dunleavyjr » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:42 am

Tip-in was definitely *NO* good.

Evident is presented here:

Image
User avatar
sarah42
Starter
Posts: 2,094
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 10, 2007
Location: In bed with Jake Ryan. woot woot!

 

Post#14 » by sarah42 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:53 am

orlando is such a fake team. they have a great crowd at home, yet keep on losing at home..

i can sorta understand the hornets and their above .500 home record, and great road record, but what's orlando's excuse?

i'm happy for you guys. orlando seems to always be in close games or in overtime games. teams like that with great records, really aren't that great of a team.
Image
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 5,831
And1: 83
Joined: Jul 23, 2005
Location: Htown to Cali
   

 

Post#15 » by King Roosk » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:57 am

sarah42 wrote:orlando is such a fake team. they have a great crowd at home, yet keep on losing at home..

i can sorta understand the hornets and their above .500 home record, and great road record, but what's orlando's excuse?

i'm happy for you guys. orlando seems to always be in close games or in overtime games. teams like that with great records, really aren't that great of a team.


Keep comments like the one I bolded to a minimum please. There's already a bit of hostility between Rockets and Magic fans (see: Tracy Mcgrady, also see: Dwight Howard vs Yao Ming).

The last thing we want is a flame war between Magic and Rockets fans. Thanks.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,520
And1: 284
Joined: Feb 11, 2006

 

Post#16 » by OrlandoMagic » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:43 am

Im not trying to cause an argument, but the only thing that annoys me, is there was no offical call after the shoot went down. It was neither counted good or bad. The refs blew the whistle then looked at it on TV. So that in itself is illegal for not making a call, from what I hear. And also after the game Stan Van Gundy sent in a pool reporter to get an explaination from the refs and they declined comment. In which case I heard this is also illegal. So two fishy things IMO. Anyways Ive seen the replay from 4 different views 2 which look free and clear, and 2 which looked as if his finger tips were on the ball. Either way this would end up coming down to the original call "if there was an original call", but there wasnt. Im sure no matter what it will be sent into the NBA. I actually was at the game though, and must say we did not play very well at all, so I am sure you did deserve the win, but I honestly just wish it was atleast sent to overtime, rather than the refs just guessing the outcome.
kz1m9w
Pro Prospect
Posts: 887
And1: 8
Joined: Nov 15, 2005

 

Post#17 » by kz1m9w » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:18 am

OrlandoMagic wrote:Im not trying to cause an argument, but the only thing that annoys me, is there was no offical call after the shoot went down. It was neither counted good or bad. The refs blew the whistle then looked at it on TV. So that in itself is illegal for not making a call, from what I hear. And also after the game Stan Van Gundy sent in a pool reporter to get an explaination from the refs and they declined comment. In which case I heard this is also illegal. So two fishy things IMO. Anyways Ive seen the replay from 4 different views 2 which look free and clear, and 2 which looked as if his finger tips were on the ball. Either way this would end up coming down to the original call "if there was an original call", but there wasnt. Im sure no matter what it will be sent into the NBA. I actually was at the game though, and must say we did not play very well at all, so I am sure you did deserve the win, but I honestly just wish it was atleast sent to overtime, rather than the refs just guessing the outcome.


The points you make are 100% valid when it comes to there being no call on the floor. That makes it hard to fall back on the "default" if the replay is inconclusive - since there is no default.

And I don't know about the reporter-to-the-refs-locker-room rule, but assuming that's true, it doesn't seem right either. So on both counts, I think those are legit gripes.

On the other hand, I do think its unbelievable that some Magic fans (not you) are saying things on their board such as "it was good by a mile". I don't see how anyone can say that. This is one of the closest calls I've ever seen in decades of watching sports and it was not "by a mile" in either direction, regardless of your team affiliation.

I will say this...I don't think it was out of his hand in time. The reason I say that is the view from the opposite end of the court. There is a point where the ball noticeably begins to move toward the goal. That moment does not occur until one frame AFTER the red light has come on (DVR playback frozen on the Orlando broadcast of the replay shown in slow-motion).

So, unless the ball was able to leave Foyle's hand, pause in mid-air for that fraction of a second, wait for the light to come on, and then resume its path to the basket, I don't see how it could be good. But again, it was so very close, its easy to see why its controversial.

Finally, one reason some may think the opposite - I believe - would be due to the way they showed the replay on the Orlando broadcast (which I was watching on League Pass). These announcers were very unbiased throughout the entire game (so I credit them for that). However, on that last play, the back-and-forth replay was shown and it kept freezing just BEFORE Foyle touched the ball. The announcers somehow latched onto frozen frame as conclusive proof that it was good (after all, the red light was not on and the ball was not touching Foyle's hand). But since it was frozen, I guess they didn't realize it was prior to him even touching the ball.

Either way, tough loss - good call / bad call - whichever.
User avatar
HTown_TMac
General Manager
Posts: 9,060
And1: 222
Joined: Oct 08, 2005
Location: Houston, Texas.
   

 

Post#18 » by HTown_TMac » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:01 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:Im not trying to cause an argument, but the only thing that annoys me, is there was no offical call after the shoot went down. It was neither counted good or bad. The refs blew the whistle then looked at it on TV. So that in itself is illegal for not making a call, from what I hear. And also after the game Stan Van Gundy sent in a pool reporter to get an explaination from the refs and they declined comment. In which case I heard this is also illegal. So two fishy things IMO. Anyways Ive seen the replay from 4 different views 2 which look free and clear, and 2 which looked as if his finger tips were on the ball. Either way this would end up coming down to the original call "if there was an original call", but there wasnt. Im sure no matter what it will be sent into the NBA. I actually was at the game though, and must say we did not play very well at all, so I am sure you did deserve the win, but I honestly just wish it was atleast sent to overtime, rather than the refs just guessing the outcome.


Well there's more reason that I think it was a bad call.. IMO if the call WAS THAT close, it is in because you cant have a no call then go look at a replay.
Image
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,332
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 21, 2006

 

Post#19 » by rockybalboa11 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:15 pm

good tip
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
RoxFan08
Veteran
Posts: 2,775
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 14, 2007

 

Post#20 » by RoxFan08 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:45 pm

I disagree. I felt the refs made no call because they wanted to be damned sure they got it right before calling something, and having to potentially overturn their call (particularly if it went against the Magic) would have given them no end of booing, trash throwing, harassment and the like. When they made the call against the home team in a hostile arena, of COURSE they grabbed their stuff and ran. I would have done the same.

HOWEVER: I feel that with it being so close, and IN ORLANDO, I felt that whatever the "correct call" was, by which I mean what actually happened, they should have sent the game to OT to let the better team decide the game.

Return to Houston Rockets