No
54%

Total votes: 28

compucomp
Banned User
And1: 0

Was that tip-in good? 

Post#1 » by compucomp » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:17 am

Did Foyle make it in time? I thought the replay was very inconclusive, but to me it looked like he didn't get it off. Whatever, we totally needed that win and I'll take it any way I can get.
Shabi__5
Head Coach

Post#2 » by Shabi__5 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:22 am

It was too close for me , you really couldn't tell thats why IMO you HAVE to count it.
RoxFan08
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#3 » by RoxFan08 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:24 am

I not only thought he got it off in time, I think the officials HAD to call an overtime and let the better team win, ESPECIALLY since the game was in Orlando.
Iggyemu
RealGM

Post#4 » by Iggyemu » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:36 am

Adonal Foyle and tying basket don't go in the same sentence. Thats exactly what the refs were thinking too.
"One Ring makes a Champion......Six Rings make a Legend" - Michael Jeffrey Jordan
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#5 » by TMACFORMVP » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:37 am

Really is too close to call, but had I been a referee I would have likely called it good.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:03 am

just watch it like 5x again
i don't think he got it off in time
McTracy
Rookie

Post#7 » by McTracy » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:04 am

For me it was a clear good tip. But I'm happy with the decision
IT'S TIME
TiMacMania
RealGM

Post#8 » by TiMacMania » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:04 am

i think it was pretty close
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#9 » by BaYBaller » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:45 am

They only had one angle on it and on that angle it did not conclusively show he did get it off.
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Post#10 » by HTown_TMac » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:47 am

The shot was good.. IF I were a ref it would have been good...
BUT WHO CARES WE WON!
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,162

Post#11 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:38 am

After watching it about 3-4x in slow-mo it looked way too close too call but I'd lean towards he didn't get it off in time(maybe I am biased but seriously it looked like it was still on the tip of his finger as the red came on).

However, as other people mentioned, they probably should call it good and atleast sent it to OT and let the "better" team win(which was clearly us, thanks).

I was absolutely shocked they gave us the call though, that was a surprise. I mean, I know the officiating during the game was fantastic and competely accurate(TEE HEE). However, I'm happy for the win and all that jazz.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#12 » by DraftBoy10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:40 am

ESPN showed an angle of it where Foyle's fingertips were still on it at the red light. That angle showed that it wasn't off in time, but from what FSN was showing--i'd count it.
dunleavyjr
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#13 » by dunleavyjr » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:42 am

Tip-in was definitely *NO* good.

Evident is presented here:

sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#14 » by sarah42 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:53 am

orlando is such a fake team. they have a great crowd at home, yet keep on losing at home..

i can sorta understand the hornets and their above .500 home record, and great road record, but what's orlando's excuse?

i'm happy for you guys. orlando seems to always be in close games or in overtime games. teams like that with great records, really aren't that great of a team.
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#15 » by King Roosk » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:57 am

sarah42 wrote:orlando is such a fake team. they have a great crowd at home, yet keep on losing at home..

i can sorta understand the hornets and their above .500 home record, and great road record, but what's orlando's excuse?

i'm happy for you guys. orlando seems to always be in close games or in overtime games. teams like that with great records, really aren't that great of a team.

Keep comments like the one I bolded to a minimum please. There's already a bit of hostility between Rockets and Magic fans (see: Tracy Mcgrady, also see: Dwight Howard vs Yao Ming).

The last thing we want is a flame war between Magic and Rockets fans. Thanks.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#16 » by OrlandoMagic » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:43 am

Im not trying to cause an argument, but the only thing that annoys me, is there was no offical call after the shoot went down. It was neither counted good or bad. The refs blew the whistle then looked at it on TV. So that in itself is illegal for not making a call, from what I hear. And also after the game Stan Van Gundy sent in a pool reporter to get an explaination from the refs and they declined comment. In which case I heard this is also illegal. So two fishy things IMO. Anyways Ive seen the replay from 4 different views 2 which look free and clear, and 2 which looked as if his finger tips were on the ball. Either way this would end up coming down to the original call "if there was an original call", but there wasnt. Im sure no matter what it will be sent into the NBA. I actually was at the game though, and must say we did not play very well at all, so I am sure you did deserve the win, but I honestly just wish it was atleast sent to overtime, rather than the refs just guessing the outcome.
kz1m9w
Pro Prospect
And1: 15

Post#17 » by kz1m9w » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:18 am

OrlandoMagic wrote:Im not trying to cause an argument, but the only thing that annoys me, is there was no offical call after the shoot went down. It was neither counted good or bad. The refs blew the whistle then looked at it on TV. So that in itself is illegal for not making a call, from what I hear. And also after the game Stan Van Gundy sent in a pool reporter to get an explaination from the refs and they declined comment. In which case I heard this is also illegal. So two fishy things IMO. Anyways Ive seen the replay from 4 different views 2 which look free and clear, and 2 which looked as if his finger tips were on the ball. Either way this would end up coming down to the original call "if there was an original call", but there wasnt. Im sure no matter what it will be sent into the NBA. I actually was at the game though, and must say we did not play very well at all, so I am sure you did deserve the win, but I honestly just wish it was atleast sent to overtime, rather than the refs just guessing the outcome.

The points you make are 100% valid when it comes to there being no call on the floor. That makes it hard to fall back on the "default" if the replay is inconclusive - since there is no default.

And I don't know about the reporter-to-the-refs-locker-room rule, but assuming that's true, it doesn't seem right either. So on both counts, I think those are legit gripes.

On the other hand, I do think its unbelievable that some Magic fans (not you) are saying things on their board such as "it was good by a mile". I don't see how anyone can say that. This is one of the closest calls I've ever seen in decades of watching sports and it was not "by a mile" in either direction, regardless of your team affiliation.

I will say this...I don't think it was out of his hand in time. The reason I say that is the view from the opposite end of the court. There is a point where the ball noticeably begins to move toward the goal. That moment does not occur until one frame AFTER the red light has come on (DVR playback frozen on the Orlando broadcast of the replay shown in slow-motion).

So, unless the ball was able to leave Foyle's hand, pause in mid-air for that fraction of a second, wait for the light to come on, and then resume its path to the basket, I don't see how it could be good. But again, it was so very close, its easy to see why its controversial.

Finally, one reason some may think the opposite - I believe - would be due to the way they showed the replay on the Orlando broadcast (which I was watching on League Pass). These announcers were very unbiased throughout the entire game (so I credit them for that). However, on that last play, the back-and-forth replay was shown and it kept freezing just BEFORE Foyle touched the ball. The announcers somehow latched onto frozen frame as conclusive proof that it was good (after all, the red light was not on and the ball was not touching Foyle's hand). But since it was frozen, I guess they didn't realize it was prior to him even touching the ball.

Either way, tough loss - good call / bad call - whichever.
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Post#18 » by HTown_TMac » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:01 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:Im not trying to cause an argument, but the only thing that annoys me, is there was no offical call after the shoot went down. It was neither counted good or bad. The refs blew the whistle then looked at it on TV. So that in itself is illegal for not making a call, from what I hear. And also after the game Stan Van Gundy sent in a pool reporter to get an explaination from the refs and they declined comment. In which case I heard this is also illegal. So two fishy things IMO. Anyways Ive seen the replay from 4 different views 2 which look free and clear, and 2 which looked as if his finger tips were on the ball. Either way this would end up coming down to the original call "if there was an original call", but there wasnt. Im sure no matter what it will be sent into the NBA. I actually was at the game though, and must say we did not play very well at all, so I am sure you did deserve the win, but I honestly just wish it was atleast sent to overtime, rather than the refs just guessing the outcome.

Well there's more reason that I think it was a bad call.. IMO if the call WAS THAT close, it is in because you cant have a no call then go look at a replay.
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by rockybalboa11 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:15 pm

good tip
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
RoxFan08
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#20 » by RoxFan08 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:45 pm

I disagree. I felt the refs made no call because they wanted to be damned sure they got it right before calling something, and having to potentially overturn their call (particularly if it went against the Magic) would have given them no end of booing, trash throwing, harassment and the like. When they made the call against the home team in a hostile arena, of COURSE they grabbed their stuff and ran. I would have done the same.

HOWEVER: I feel that with it being so close, and IN ORLANDO, I felt that whatever the "correct call" was, by which I mean what actually happened, they should have sent the game to OT to let the better team decide the game.

Return to Houston Rockets