ImageImageImageImageImage

14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, mkwest

TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 18,225
And1: 4,885
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#21 » by TheNewEra » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Lin might go overseas we really need a backup in case Beverly goes down
User avatar
esqtvd
Analyst
Posts: 3,243
And1: 725
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:25 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Lin might go overseas we really need a backup in case Beverly goes down


That the entire NBA is passing on Jeremy Lin tells you all you need to know.

Me, I just can't take the TOs. All I want from a 3rd-string PG is to take care of the ball, and one hallmark of Doc ball has been low TOs. Milos was brilliant but he was also a turnover machine and I think that's why he's out of the league too.
..............................................................................IGNORED: nobody really, though some folks tend to make my eyes glaze over :lol:
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,502
And1: 425
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#23 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:42 pm

QRich3 wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I don't want any more big men, we have Trez as the main guy, Zu as the token starter who can play up to 20 mins a game, and Mfi as the injury insurance/garbage time big that needs to be getting play time bit by bit. Plus JaMychal who'll get playing time there depending on the match up. It's already way too crowded, no room for anyone else.

Last spot should remain open for possible buyouts.


I'm cool with keeping the last spot open--but I figure that should be for the PG. I actually think with Sham, McGruder and Rome, not to mention Mann, playing at the 2, most of Lou's minutes will be at the 1. Getting 3500-3600 minutes at the point out of Lou and Bev at point shouldn't be too hard. Sham and Mann cold make up the rest of the difference

OTOH, we're still a little light at PF. If Kawhi and PG play 4100 combined minutes at forward, and Green get 400 out of, say 1850 minutes at C, that means Harkless will essentially be splitting his time between SF and PF ... and if he plays 1500 minutes (which is what I expect) and Kabengele gets a little time, we're around 600-700 short, mainly at PF.

I think I'm ok with that, Harkless played a lot of 4 in Portland, and PF's are just wings in today's NBA really, SG-SF-PF is just wings of different sizes nowadays. I'm ok with Jerome-McGruder-Harkless being that combo off the bench for any period of time.

If Bev or Lou get a long injury however (and they're old enough for it to be a worry), I'm not ok with Sham or Jerome being our main ballhandler for long stretches, I think that'd be a problem.


My concern is just math based for the SF/PF/C. Because I’m figuring on, with normal wear and occasional missed games, season minutes looking something like this:

PG: 2400
Kawhi: 2100
Trezz: 2100
Green: 1750
Zubac: 1650
Harkless: 1550
Kabengele: 300

I know we’ll go big sometimes, with PG playing at the 2, so pencil in 500 of those minutes in the backcourt. That leaves us about 500-600 minutes short.

At PG, I’m kinda seeing

Bev 1950
Lou 1700

…which leaves us about 300 short. I totally agree that the injury thing is an issue, though.

I just keep wondering if we want to wait for buyout players we want—which may or may not happen—and risk not signing anyone while potentially helpful players get snapped up. One of the most obvious low risk/high return frontcourt guys, Pau Gasol, went to a rival. Another young, useful guy at the point, Trey Burke, went to one of those teams in the championship conversation. Do we pull the trigger, or do we wait? If we go for signing someone now—does that mean one player or two?
Image
jgustav1
Analyst
Posts: 3,367
And1: 21
Joined: Jul 29, 2003

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#24 » by jgustav1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:14 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:
QRich3 wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:I know we’ll go big sometimes, with PG playing at the 2, so pencil in 500 of those minutes in the backcourt. That leaves us about 500-600 minutes short.

At PG, I’m kinda seeing

Bev 1950
Lou 1700

…which leaves us about 300 short. I totally agree that the injury thing is an issue, though.

I just keep wondering if we want to wait for buyout players we want—which may or may not happen—and risk not signing anyone while potentially helpful players get snapped up. One of the most obvious low risk/high return frontcourt guys, Pau Gasol, went to a rival. Another young, useful guy at the point, Trey Burke, went to one of those teams in the championship conversation. Do we pull the trigger, or do we wait? If we go for signing someone now—does that mean one player or two?

I'd rather just wait at this point and use Landry Shamet at backup PG for additional minutes. Prior to the 2018 draft he was listed as a combo guard in a lot of prospect reviews. I think he can handle the PG role better than Robinson.
User avatar
donemilio21
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,840
And1: 197
Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Location: Santa Barbara
   

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#25 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Do we even need a 3rd string PG?

I think we have a solid 10 man rotation right now.
The talent pool in the gleague is probably on par with any FA mentioned so far. + there will be a buyout market in February-March. I say keep filling 14th and 15th spots with 2 way or exhibit ten contracts until either we find someone very solid or we identify a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed prior to playoffs.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,502
And1: 425
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#26 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:22 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Do we even need a 3rd string PG?

I think we have a solid 10 man rotation right now.
The talent pool in the gleague is probably on par with any FA mentioned so far. + there will be a buyout market in February-March. I say keep filling 14th and 15th spots with 2 way or exhibit ten contracts until either we find someone very solid or we identify a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed prior to playoffs.


jgustav1 wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:
QRich3 wrote:

I'd rather just wait at this point and use Landry Shamet at backup PG for additional minutes. Prior to the 2018 draft he was listed as a combo guard in a lot of prospect reviews. I think he can handle the PG role better than Robinson.


I pretty much agree 100% with both of you ... and I'd add in that Mann spent some time at the point with Florida State; I'd put him in at the 1 before Jerome. If we do sign someone--pretty big "if"--I think it'll be a frontcourt player. Don't think we need another backcourt player to start out the season. Things may change in camp, though.
Image
Vae Victus
Analyst
Posts: 3,026
And1: 1,169
Joined: Jun 09, 2013

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#27 » by Vae Victus » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:57 am

If Lin were smart he'd get down on his hands and knees and beg the Logo for the chance to earn the backup PG slot.

PatBev has his injury concerns, so if Lin were smart he'd know there's a chance he can sneak in a bunch of meaningful PT at PG if something were to happen to PatBev. Rebuild his value and actually contribute to a contender instead of being a bystander.

I kinda wonder if Lin and his agent reached out to the Clips, if the Clips turned him down, that's a pretty dreadful sign for Lin. Lin should just be happy getting the min and if he can at least get into a good position to MAYBE do something meaningful, he needs to leap after it.

Not to mention, if i'm Lin, i'd try to angle for a future FO position and where better to learn than the Logo if Lin impresses him enough to take him under his wing after he retires from ball. Put that Harvard degree to use post bball.

Just being around the Logo would teach any would be FO hopefuls on how to act, think, behave, analyze, etc. Utterly priceless.
illastrate
Starter
Posts: 2,191
And1: 575
Joined: Aug 16, 2006
   

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#28 » by illastrate » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 am

donemilio21 wrote:Do we even need a 3rd string PG?

I think we have a solid 10 man rotation right now.
The talent pool in the gleague is probably on par with any FA mentioned so far. + there will be a buyout market in February-March. I say keep filling 14th and 15th spots with 2 way or exhibit ten contracts until either we find someone very solid or we identify a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed prior to playoffs.
Buyout market is the best bet. No need to rush to sign two guys just because.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
User avatar
QRich3
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,516
And1: 3,552
Joined: Apr 03, 2011
 

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#29 » by QRich3 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 am

Yah the hypothetical 3rd PG I'd want would not be a guy to insert in the rotation, Bev and Lou can cover 48 minutes there, and I'm ok with Sham getting spot minutes if there if needed.

I'd want him as insurance though, if one of them or -god forbid- both get long injuries, we won't survive with Sham, Jerome or even Mann playing 20-40 minutes a game at PG.

Now it's fine to think you can just go and get that insurance guy when the injury happens, but all of the good players will be already signed by then, either in the NBA or overseas. So you'll have to pick a below replacement player and now you have a big hole in your rotation and a point where teams can attack you.
User avatar
playaloc916
Veteran
Posts: 2,573
And1: 259
Joined: Jul 28, 2006
 

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#30 » by playaloc916 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:08 pm

I'd rather give 3rd string PG duties to Mann over Lin. Lin is a borderline NBA player right now. The consensus was he was pretty bad with the Raptors, and that is even with the coach giving him a very long leash (during the regular season anyways). Seeing how little he played in the PO's, even with an injury to FVV shows how little they trust him at this point. Also, he's had like a 7-8 year career, I think the average career is about 5 years. He's had a very solid career all things considered.

Let Mann learn and play through his mistakes; I don't think we're going to go for 1 or 2 seed with some load management and recovery for PG coming up. I know it was only summer league, but Mann looked pretty good out there and showed a bit of potential.

Or, we can go digging in the G-League if absolutely necessary.
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 18,225
And1: 4,885
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#31 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:09 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Do we even need a 3rd string PG?

I think we have a solid 10 man rotation right now.
The talent pool in the gleague is probably on par with any FA mentioned so far. + there will be a buyout market in February-March. I say keep filling 14th and 15th spots with 2 way or exhibit ten contracts until either we find someone very solid or we identify a weakness on the team that needs to be addressed prior to playoffs.



Beverly does have a notable injury history. It would be nice to have options in case he goes down to fully run team with the sets breakdown. I’m still in favor of Iggy or Dunn
User avatar
esqtvd
Analyst
Posts: 3,243
And1: 725
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 am

QRich3 wrote:Yah the hypothetical 3rd PG I'd want would not be a guy to insert in the rotation, Bev and Lou can cover 48 minutes there, and I'm ok with Sham getting spot minutes if there if needed.

I'd want him as insurance though, if one of them or -god forbid- both get long injuries, we won't survive with Sham, Jerome or even Mann playing 20-40 minutes a game at PG.

Now it's fine to think you can just go and get that insurance guy when the injury happens, but all of the good players will be already signed by then, either in the NBA or overseas. So you'll have to pick a below replacement player and now you have a big hole in your rotation and a point where teams can attack you.



I hear you Q, but Jerry F***ng West says Terance Mann is going to be getting serious minutes. I am not gonna naysay Jerry MF***g West.

My take from summer league was that Mann can bring the ball up. And at 6'7" [actually 6'5 1/2"], he can make himself useful on rebs and steals and D and various other dirty work.


I think it's good for a team to leave some room at the bottom [Jerome? McGruder, Shamet, Mann] for people to win minutes rather than just clog the ladder with questionable veterans.
..............................................................................IGNORED: nobody really, though some folks tend to make my eyes glaze over :lol:
User avatar
QRich3
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,516
And1: 3,552
Joined: Apr 03, 2011
 

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#33 » by QRich3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:31 am

esqtvd wrote:I hear you Q, but Jerry F***ng West says Terance Mann is going to be getting serious minutes. I am not gonna naysay Jerry MF***g West.

My take from summer league was that Mann can bring the ball up. And at 6'7" [actually 6'5 1/2"], he can make himself useful on rebs and steals and D and various other dirty work.


I think it's good for a team to leave some room at the bottom [Jerome? McGruder, Shamet, Mann] for people to win minutes rather than just clog the ladder with questionable veterans.

Oh yeah I'm all for leaving room in the rotation for young guys that usually don't come off the bench, that's why I don't want to add any more big men, so Mfi can get at least garbage time and get into the rotation when there's an injury. But this is different, it's asking guys that are not yet established in the league (in Mann's and Jerome's case, not sure if they'll ever be yet) to play out of position and do stuff out of their range that's pretty hard for skilled NBA veterans already. They should be getting leftover minutes that maximize their skills, playing them out of their depth is a sure way to kill their confidence and stall their development.

Mann looks like he could be a player, but he couldn't score for **** against summer league players. NBA defenders are gonna eat him alive, and if on top of that, you put him as an experiment PG... well it's not gonna be pretty. I say let the guy get into the rotation slowly, play to his strengths, and if he's good he'll get minutes at the wing. That's already more than you could ask for a rookie picked where he was.
User avatar
esqtvd
Analyst
Posts: 3,243
And1: 725
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:46 pm

QRich3 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:I hear you Q, but Jerry F***ng West says Terance Mann is going to be getting serious minutes. I am not gonna naysay Jerry MF***g West.

My take from summer league was that Mann can bring the ball up. And at 6'7" [actually 6'5 1/2"], he can make himself useful on rebs and steals and D and various other dirty work.


I think it's good for a team to leave some room at the bottom [Jerome? McGruder, Shamet, Mann] for people to win minutes rather than just clog the ladder with questionable veterans.


Oh yeah I'm all for leaving room in the rotation for young guys that usually don't come off the bench, that's why I don't want to add any more big men, so Mfi can get at least garbage time and get into the rotation when there's an injury. But this is different, it's asking guys that are not yet established in the league (in Mann's and Jerome's case, not sure if they'll ever be yet) to play out of position and do stuff out of their range that's pretty hard for skilled NBA veterans already. They should be getting leftover minutes that maximize their skills, playing them out of their depth is a sure way to kill their confidence and stall their development.

Mann looks like he could be a player, but he couldn't score for **** against summer league players. NBA defenders are gonna eat him alive, and if on top of that, you put him as an experiment PG... well it's not gonna be pretty. I say let the guy get into the rotation slowly, play to his strengths, and if he's good he'll get minutes at the wing. That's already more than you could ask for a rookie picked where he was.



Well, all I want is somebody to bring up the ball 5-10 mpg. Mann had too many TOs but a lot of them seemed to be lack of communication on what was essentially a pickup team. As for scoring, he went 12-20 from the field. Almost 6 apg, coupled with an insane 11 rpg, and I think that's useful enough for a 3rd stringer, certainly better than we got from Sindarius and Ty, who played a combined 900+ minutes for us last year.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Terance-Mann/Summary/73135

Besides, Jerry West says so. :) I'll hide behind his skirts.
..............................................................................IGNORED: nobody really, though some folks tend to make my eyes glaze over :lol:
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 18,225
And1: 4,885
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#35 » by TheNewEra » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:54 pm

Mann might be ahead of Robinson in playing time
User avatar
50CalClips
Sophomore
Posts: 111
And1: 36
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
 

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#36 » by 50CalClips » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:12 am

What's the hold up?

Joakim Noah. Done.

We'll need more beef against: Jazz, Lakers, Bucks, 76ers

Akklaim1
Pro Prospect
Posts: 985
And1: 676
Joined: Aug 12, 2013
         

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#37 » by Akklaim1 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:37 am

It really sucks Darren Collison retired so young. We could really use his second stint with us.
User avatar
Ranma
RealGM
Posts: 14,292
And1: 4,025
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: OC, CA
Contact:
       

Looking at Lin 

Post#38 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:31 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter



LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
User avatar
Ranma
RealGM
Posts: 14,292
And1: 4,025
Joined: Jun 13, 2011
Location: OC, CA
Contact:
       

Interest in Jodie Meeks? 

Post#39 » by Ranma » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:42 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 7,615
And1: 1,580
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 14th and 15th Roster Spots ... Who Should We Be Looking At? 

Post#40 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:59 pm

Sadly, it seems Meeks is done. He’s never been the same since all of his injuries

Return to Los Angeles Clippers