Trade offers for Darius Garland?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, Texas Chuck, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, BullyKing, MoneyTalks41890, Trader_Joe

Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 398

Re: Trade offers for Darius Garland? 

Post#261 » by Euphonetiks » Thu May 23, 2024 3:47 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:Edwards and Mitchell are comparable players. The "flaw" with Cleveland's backcourt would likely not be considered the same flaw in Minnesota. Instead, to your point, you would have your second creator/scorer that would help alleviate the offensive load, e.g. why Cleveland acquired Mitchell in the first place.

The "flaw" of the Mitchell/Garland backcourt appears to be two-fold:

(1) two small guards is bad for defensive purposes
(2) two guards who both want the ball in their hands and the offense to run through them will have conflict

The first problem is an issue from a team building perspective. Small offensively focused guards need to be hidden on defense. It is difficult to hide two of them. The second problem is an issue from the players' perspective. You can't have two players be 'the guy' on one team. One has to defer and accept the #2 role. From the reports of Klutch wanting to meet with Altman if the Cavs re-sign Mitchell, suggests the second issue may be the bigger problem.

Edwards helps with the 1st problem, but if Garland really wants to run his own team, he needs to go to somewhere like WAS. I do not think Edwards will defer to Garland with the game on the line. And as Edwards grows, I can see him wanting to initiate the offense more, especially in the regular season when his defense doesn't have to be at 100%.

If Irving and Doncic can make the duoship work, Garland and Edwards most certainly can. More so after this playoffs for both of them. Hit across the head where they are and where they want to be.

Same could be said about Mitchell and Garland, but alas here we are. Ky had accepted a #2 role before and after his Brooklyn exit, he was on a pretty short leash.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#262 » by mcfly1204 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:17 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:
The "flaw" of the Mitchell/Garland backcourt appears to be two-fold:

(1) two small guards is bad for defensive purposes
(2) two guards who both want the ball in their hands and the offense to run through them will have conflict

The first problem is an issue from a team building perspective. Small offensively focused guards need to be hidden on defense. It is difficult to hide two of them. The second problem is an issue from the players' perspective. You can't have two players be 'the guy' on one team. One has to defer and accept the #2 role. From the reports of Klutch wanting to meet with Altman if the Cavs re-sign Mitchell, suggests the second issue may be the bigger problem.

Edwards helps with the 1st problem, but if Garland really wants to run his own team, he needs to go to somewhere like WAS. I do not think Edwards will defer to Garland with the game on the line. And as Edwards grows, I can see him wanting to initiate the offense more, especially in the regular season when his defense doesn't have to be at 100%.

If Irving and Doncic can make the duoship work, Garland and Edwards most certainly can. More so after this playoffs for both of them. Hit across the head where they are and where they want to be.

Same could be said about Mitchell and Garland, but alas here we are. Ky had accepted a #2 role before and after his Brooklyn exit, he was on a pretty short leash.

I'm inclined to think the Klutch bit is BS. Garland is not an alpha, he's actually gotten flak for not looking for his own shot more often.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect

Post#263 » by Euphonetiks » Thu May 23, 2024 5:24 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I'm inclined to think the Klutch bit is BS. Garland is not an alpha, he's actually gotten flak for not looking for his own shot more often.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It was reported by Shams, confirmed by Windhorst, and is perfectly in line with the Klutch playbook. Cleveland fans may be inclined to dismiss it, but it's very likley not BS.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,408

Post#264 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 23, 2024 5:36 pm

Garland to NOLA could be fun with Zion. Ingram and how many picks?
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#265 » by mcfly1204 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:03 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:I'm inclined to think the Klutch bit is BS. Garland is not an alpha, he's actually gotten flak for not looking for his own shot more often.

It was reported by Shams, confirmed by Windhorst, and is perfectly in line with the Klutch playbook. Cleveland fans may be inclined to dismiss it, but it's very likley not BS.

My point is that it sounds like Klutch speaking out of turn more than anything. I assume the rebuttal is that Garland is the client, and they are not going to do something like that without his knowledge, or more so blessing. That said, we've seen zero indications in Cleveland of Garland not wanting to play next to Mitchell.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect

Post#266 » by Euphonetiks » Thu May 23, 2024 6:11 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:

My point is that it sounds like Klutch speaking out of turn more than anything. I assume the rebuttal is that Garland is the client, and they are not going to do something like that without his knowledge, or more so blessing. That said, we've seen zero indications in Cleveland of Garland not wanting to play next to Mitchell.

With all due respect, I think that is wishful thinking. Klutch doesn't speak out of turn. They offer cover for their clients. If they are meeting with the Cleveland FO to demand a trade, that tactic was approved by Garland.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,984

Post#267 » by toooskies » Thu May 23, 2024 6:31 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

With all due respect, I think that is wishful thinking. Klutch doesn't speak out of turn. They offer cover for their clients. If they are meeting with the Cleveland FO to demand a trade, that tactic was approved by Garland.

Did Garland want that bit of detail out an hour after the season concluded? If so, that's a fun plane ride home with the team for Garland.

It doesn't serve any meaningful purpose for Garland except to either a) drive Mitchell away or b) make the Cavs choose him over Mitchell. If he actually wanted out of Cleveland, he'd have waited for Mitchell to extend before Shams put this out there.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,422

Post#268 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:48 pm

Wait and see if we hire Atkinson. There's a chance that Garland doesn't hit the market this summer (even if we extend Mitchell).
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 8,087

Post#269 » by K_chile22 » Wed May 29, 2024 2:43 pm

IDK if anyone has had this idea already but something around jimmy for Garland? Think Miami owes for trading an older player even though he's better, but as a general framework I like the idea if Cleveland is going all in with Mitchell
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 9,075

Post#270 » by penbeast0 » Wed May 29, 2024 3:29 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:...if Garland really wants to run his own team, he needs to go to somewhere like WAS....

Wizards are a bad fit unless Cleveland wants to take Poole and his salary back (and something like Avdija or Coulibaly, not suggesting straight up). Poole showed played next to Tyus Jones that he needs to be the PG to be anything resembling effective.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,984

Post#271 » by toooskies » Wed May 29, 2024 4:43 pm

K_chile22 wrote:IDK if anyone has had this idea already but something around jimmy for Garland? Think Miami owes for trading an older player even though he's better, but as a general framework I like the idea if Cleveland is going all in with Mitchell

He wants a supermax extension, he's 35, he's injury-prone, and he's an inconsistent shooter which makes him a tough fit with Allen/Mobley. Way too much of a risk.

And for Miami's part that forces them to make room in their backcourt among Rozier and Herro.

Return to Trades and Transactions