Eliminated: MEM is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Eliminated: MEM is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions 

Post#1 » by Foshan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:45 am

So i thought this could be fun as each team gets knocked out. Especially at a time in which fans of said eliminated teams are thinking very clearly :D

So where does Memphis go from here?
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Re: Eliminated: MEM is out, knee-jerk trades & solutions 

Post#2 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:13 am

I think you can make a case for mostly just running it back, while trying to find a guy in free agency who gives them what Winslow was supposed to and what Brooks has been trying to: a secondary scorer and ball handler.

My priority is probably Derozan, if they can afford him, but there are a bunch of roughly starter-quality wings (Powel, Richardson, Fornier) in free agency, one of whom should be available for on a deal starting at 20-something million.

Alternatively you package some smaller assets (this year's pick, Allen, maybe Melton or Anderson) to get someone who's better than the available FAs.

Finally, you keep your eye open for a consolidation trade that accelerates the timeline. That could involve just about everything outside of Ja, most notably JJJ, the GS and Jazz picks, current and up to one future Griz pick and some combination of the others for a young-ish all star or an olld-ish all NBA guy. That probably doesn't happen, and that's fine, but it's worth being open to the opportunity.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:29 am

This is the hardest team for me because they have JJJ coming off his rookie contract and they could be a young and upcoming team in the summer of 2022 which is a blue chip F.A. class.

I'm tempted to say run it back and even pick up Winslow's option to preserve the cap space and have another expiring contract to trade in the event a team knows a potential F.A. is leaving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,777

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:46 am

Prospect Dong wrote:I think you can make a case for mostly just running it back, while trying to find a guy in free agency who gives them what Winslow was supposed to and what Brooks has been trying to: a secondary scorer and ball handler.

My priority is probably Derozan, if they can afford him, but there are a bunch of roughly starter-quality wings (Powel, Richardson, Fornier) in free agency, one of whom should be available for on a deal starting at 20-something million.

Alternatively you package some smaller assets (this year's pick, Allen, maybe Melton or Anderson) to get someone who's better than the available FAs.

Finally, you keep your eye open for a consolidation trade that accelerates the timeline. That could involve just about everything outside of Ja, most notably JJJ, the GS and Jazz picks, current and up to one future Griz pick and some combination of the others for a young-ish all star or an olld-ish all NBA guy. That probably doesn't happen, and that's fine, but it's worth being open to the opportunity.

Can't do much better than this. Target a scorer in FA. DD a great choice. If you can't land the scorer in free agency try and sign a quality starter and then flip some of the quality depth in a trade for a scorer. I still think Gallo could pop free if Atlanta wants to retain Collins. He'd cost basically nothing in assets but could provide some easier offense and not require a long commitment.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#5 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:49 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:I think you can make a case for mostly just running it back, while trying to find a guy in free agency who gives them what Winslow was supposed to and what Brooks has been trying to: a secondary scorer and ball handler.

Can't do much better than this. Target a scorer in FA. DD a great choice. If you can't land the scorer in free agency try and sign a quality starter and then flip some of the quality depth in a trade for a scorer. I still think Gallo could pop free if Atlanta wants to retain Collins. He'd cost basically nothing in assets but could provide some easier offense and not require a long commitment.

Yeah, Gallo is a good example of option 2. The injury risk is a concern, but you've got to work with what's available.

If we don't make any trades, and particularly if we do look like signing someone, I'd be tempted to try to move the #17 for a future pick. It's a young roster and I'm not convinced there's room to add a rookie contributor next season. If management loves someone, they've earned the right to back their judgement, but otherwise I'm happy to defer if someone makes a reasonable offer.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:17 am

I think you run it back and see what the team looks like healthy, to be honest (unless Ingram for JJJ + ??? is available). I'd also try to move up in the draft, and would not bring back Winslow. Clarke, Jones, and Allen would all be available for consolidation or a move up in the draft.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#7 » by E S V L » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:53 am

0. Avoid DeRozan or similar old losers at all costs.
1. Tyus Jones to NYK for #32 (or similar trade)
2. JV + #18 + #32 to Charlotte for #11
3. Bane and Clarke to Houston for Augustin, #23, #24
4. Draft 3 BPA at #11 (I.Jackson), #23 (Springer), #24 (Prkacin)
5. Keep focusing on developing your players
6. Wait until the trade deadline for a good opportunity to trade your young assets, 2 1sts, and 30m cap for a 3d star
FK NFL
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,841

Post#8 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:43 pm

They are in a very bad place as far as tradeable assets go, namely a bunch of low-ceiling players. Kind of like Boston a couple years back with a bunch of mid to late FRPs as tradeable assets. And role player assets depreciate quickly as cost-controlled years dwindle.
Since tanking is out of question with Ja, the only way forward it seems is praying that JJJ is actually good and available, and getting lucky one more time in the lottery or with a draft pick for a star-ish player.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#9 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:26 pm

I don't think DeRozan is your answer. if you have cap room for free agents, some team is likely to outbid my Pacers for Doug McDermott. good 3 point shooter and knows when to cut for the basket.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,535

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:32 pm

I might go after Oubre???
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,799

Post#11 » by Colbinii » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:48 pm

E S V L wrote:0. Avoid DeRozan or similar old losers at all costs.
6. Wait until the trade deadline for a good opportunity to trade your young assets, 2 1sts, and 30m cap for a 3d star

This is an issue I see with a lot of fans of young franchises who have a franchise cornerstone. You have a top 30-35 player in the NBA in Ja Morant who could very well be a top 15 player next season (Who knows? His potential is through the roof). When you have a franchise cornerstone like this with potential simply oozing, why get worse? Why try to accumulate these assets and put off being competitive for another 1 or 2 year?

If you take a minute to look at a different sport, the NFL, the teams most likely to win the Super Bowl are teams with a Quarterback on a rookie scale contract. The parallel here is when you have a rookie contract player like Ja Morant who is extremely underpaid for his production, your team should be attempting to field the best team possible around him.

When looking at Memphis, they clearly need a secondary ball handler and shot creator who is better than Dillon Brooks and De'Anthony Melton. What better player than DeMar DeRozan? He doesn't need to be a long term fix--he is a short term answer whose contract will be expiring in 2 years (Sign him to a 2-year deal :wink: ). In terms of offensive impact, DeMar ranked in the same tier as McCollum, Paul George, Devin Booker, and Zach LaVine this past year while his advanced metrics (BPM, OWS) support that he was a borderline all-star player.

At the end of the day, stating 0. Avoid DeRozan or similar old losers at all costs. really only makes sense if you don't see Ja Morant as a rising star, which is a bit foolish. If you do see Ja Morant as a soon-to-be star or already one, which I believe he proved this post-season against a spectacular defense in Utah, then the goal should be to put the best team possible around him. In a scenario where Memphis signs Demar, none of their long-term or even short term assets, outside of cap space, would be wasted or used.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HartfordWhalers

Post#12 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:25 pm

Colbinii wrote:

This is an issue I see with a lot of fans of young franchises who have a franchise cornerstone. You have a top 30-35 player in the NBA in Ja Morant who could very well be a top 15 player next season (Who knows? His potential is through the roof). When you have a franchise cornerstone like this with potential simply oozing, why get worse? Why try to accumulate these assets and put off being competitive for another 1 or 2 year?

If you take a minute to look at a different sport, the NFL, the teams most likely to win the Super Bowl are teams with a Quarterback on a rookie scale contract. The parallel here is when you have a rookie contract player like Ja Morant who is extremely underpaid for his production, your team should be attempting to field the best team possible around him.

When looking at Memphis, they clearly need a secondary ball handler and shot creator who is better than Dillon Brooks and De'Anthony Melton. What better player than DeMar DeRozan? He doesn't need to be a long term fix--he is a short term answer whose contract will be expiring in 2 years (Sign him to a 2-year deal :wink: ). In terms of offensive impact, DeMar ranked in the same tier as McCollum, Paul George, Devin Booker, and Zach LaVine this past year while his advanced metrics (BPM, OWS) support that he was a borderline all-star player.

At the end of the day, stating 0. Avoid DeRozan or similar old losers at all costs. really only makes sense if you don't see Ja Morant as a rising star, which is a bit foolish. If you do see Ja Morant as a soon-to-be star or already one, which I believe he proved this post-season against a spectacular defense in Utah, then the goal should be to put the best team possible around him. In a scenario where Memphis signs Demar, none of their long-term or even short term assets, outside of cap space, would be wasted or used.

Disagree.

Even if you have Ja as a top 15 player next year, that is most likely still a first round exit.

I would think you want a long term arc that goes:
'22 playoffs: 1st round out again
'23 playoffs: 1st round out, maybe swept round 2 if sneak into 4/5 matchup
'24 playoffs: Fully make noise, WCF goal.

A guy like Powell at just turned 28, then in 3 years is *just* 31 and can still be a core player (barring injury and the vagaries of time). Derozan is already close to 32, at (almost) 35 in 3 years, I think it makes him fall out of the sync up with ja's hopeful progression.

I get that waiting for year 3 as your big push feels far away, but tossing too much in now leads to a team that declines as its star progresses. And so the key is going for someone who is solid now so the present isn't wasted, but expected to stay solid or even improve, so that nebulous future can really be banked on. Downside is, thats a lot harder to do.

As an example, I liked Atlanta signing Bogdan a lot more than signing Gallo; based off that 4 year age gap. Now, maybe Embiid stays out and Atlanta gets a shocking ECF appearance; it still is all about how Trae and the other youth progress, and targeting maybe 2 years out from now ('23 playoffs). And Atlanta is definitely further on than Memphis.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#13 » by E S V L » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:29 pm

Colbinii wrote:At the end of the day, stating 0. Avoid DeRozan or similar old losers at all costs. really only makes sense if you don't see Ja Morant as a rising star, which is a bit foolish.

My goal is not just to improve Memphis, but to make it a true, sustainable contender for years ahead. That goal requires that another young star is added to the current roster. Any other move wouldn`t serve that goal and, therefore, must be ignored.

Ja alone is capable of bringing any team to PO regardless of the roster. But to get the ring, Ja needs to be coupled with another Ja. That`s why I believe that FO must keep developing and consolidating assets and wait for a right opportunity.
FK NFL
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:32 pm

BK_2020 wrote:They are in a very bad place as far as tradeable assets go, namely a bunch of low-ceiling players. Kind of like Boston a couple years back with a bunch of mid to late FRPs as tradeable assets. And role player assets depreciate quickly as cost-controlled years dwindle.

As a Dallas fan, I disagree that having a bunch of low ceiling assets is a bad place. I’d love to have a bunch of meh young players like Memphis has or Boston had.

I agree completely that if you just keep all your meh they go from “maybe develop in our system” to signing MLE at best level deals quickly. But if Memphis is active, they are in a very good place. Just like Boston was 3 years ago.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,799

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:33 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Disagree.

About what?

Even if you have Ja as a top 15 player next year, that is most likely still a first round exit.

And the person above me has Memphis as a play-in at best team. All of Minnesota, Golden State, Sacramento and New Orleans are going to be making strides next season. If Memphis stays neutral or takes a step back then they very well could be a 12 seed.

I would think you want a long term arc that goes:
'22 playoffs: 1st round out again
'23 playoffs: 1st round out, maybe swept round 2 if sneak into 4/5 matchup
'24 playoffs: Fully make noise, WCF goal.

Doesn't DeMar do this though, especially on a 2-year deal?

A guy like Powell at just turned 28, then in 3 years is *just* 31 and can still be a core player (barring injury and the vagaries of time). Derozan is already close to 32, at (almost) 35 in 3 years, I think it makes him fall out of the sync up with ja's hopeful progression.

The point is to have DeMar for 2 seasons where he is a secondary playmaker and scorer. DeMar is simply better than Powell and I don't see Powell as a long-term answer anymore than DeMar.

I get that waiting for year 3 as your big push feels far away, but tossing too much in now leads to a team that declines as its star progresses. And so the key is going for someone who is solid now so the present isn't wasted, but expected to stay solid or even improve, so that nebulous future can really be banked on. Downside is, thats a lot harder to do.

I dont see how Powell from 28-31 is going to be improving.

As an example, I liked Atlanta signing Bogdan a lot more than signing Gallo; based off that 4 year age gap. Now, maybe Embiid stays out and Atlanta gets a shocking ECF appearance; it still is all about how Trae and the other youth progress, and targeting maybe 2 years out from now ('23 playoffs). And Atlanta is definitely further on than Memphis.

Atlanta's biggest move was trading for a massive win-now player in Capela. It doesn't matter if Capela was 25 or 30 because Capela is currently their most important player. Atlanta traded for Capela, a clear win-now move, in year 2 of Trae. Dont ignore the facts about why Atlanta is good and in their position--Atlanta made a win-now move in Trae's second season.

Yes, you can argue that Capela is a better timeliness fit but the fact is we don't know what will happen in 3 years.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HartfordWhalers

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:42 pm

Oh we definitely don’t know what will happen in three years.

But if you use up all your cap space for a two year deal of Derozan, then in year 3 you have nothing and (usually) don’t have that cap space available again, despite not having Derozan.

Just feels like using cap space to get 0 playoff series wins ever.
HartfordWhalers

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:46 pm

Colbinii wrote:Atlanta's biggest move was trading for a massive win-now player in Capela. It doesn't matter if Capela was 25 or 30 because Capela is currently their most important player. Atlanta traded for Capela, a clear win-now move, in year 2 of Trae. Dont ignore the facts about why Atlanta is good and in their position--Atlanta made a win-now move in Trae's second season.

Yes, you can argue that Capela is a better timeliness fit but the fact is we don't know what will happen in 3 years.

I have no idea why you would try to downplay and ignore the difference between getting a 25 year old center, and a 32 year old wing, and equate them as equal.

One can clearly grow with a core for 5+ years, the other is unlikely to be helpful in 3. The importance is essential. f Philly is healthy, Atlanta is a 2nd round out. What matters to Atlanta is how they continue progressing from here. That timeline matters tremendously, regardless of how much you downplay it.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,841

Post#18 » by BK_2020 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:51 pm

What is the point of cap space for Memphis? They are not signing KD and Kyrie in free agency. They don't need cap space to accumulate a large quantity of low value assets because low value assets is currently their entire team except for Ja and possibly JJJ.
Either they go back to the tank and hope for another star or they use cap space for the best players that want to play there then hope to strike gold. Someone like DDR landed a team Kawhi Leonard once.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:32 pm

Wizop wrote:I don't think DeRozan is your answer. if you have cap room for free agents, some team is likely to outbid my Pacers for Doug McDermott. good 3 point shooter and knows when to cut for the basket.

I don’t know if he’s an answer for the starting lineup or not, but he would be a good add, and would be able to play off Valanciunas a lot like he does with Sabonis.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Post#20 » by jayjaysee » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:58 pm

My base idea would be moving up for Wagner or Kispert. I think you could get SA to do 12 for 17, Clarke, and 2nds. Haven’t seen that idea posted, but think it could work as Clarke fits with SA’s young-ish core and they still end up with Kai or such. Think Clarke should hold the value to move up a couple spots?

If I can get to 12, I’m calling GSW about 6.

Jonas, Slomo, Bane, 12 for Wiggins and 6. Overpay? But I want to add Barnes so I don’t mind giving up an extra quarter. GS gets to draft 12 and 14 while adding 3 guys that will help Curry. Two of Mitchell, Moody, Kispert, Wagner, Sengun in draft..

Now I look to sign Holmes to a 4yr80 deal with a player option on year four to convince him? Think that’s more than anyone else will give him. If not maybe Kelly? Settle for a Zeller, Baynes type if needed I guess.

So I overpay to get Barnes because I’m looking 3 years into future and see Jjj/Barnes as a C/Pf combo that no team wants to match up with.. I like adding Wiggins defense and iso scoring so Brooks doesn’t have to be more than what he is.

Holmes / Tillman / JJJ
JJJ / Barnes
Wiggins / Barnes / Brooks
Brooks / Melton / Allen
Ja / Tyus

Or whatever. Now Sac, Mem, SAS, and GS fans hate me but Memphis adds a player that could actually develop into a third piece for Ja/JJJ.

Return to Trades and Transactions