Valančiūnas to Dallas

Moderators: Mamba4Goat, Andre Roberstan, loserX, MoneyTalks41890, Texas Chuck, pacers33granger, BullyKing, HartfordWhalers, Trader_Joe

Colbinii
RealGM
Posts: 18,462
And1: 10,461
Joined: Feb 13, 2013

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#21 » by Colbinii » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Mediocre? Also JV can space the floor himself too


Mediocre: of only moderate quality

Starting Centers in NBA: 30
Starting Centers clearly ahead of JV:
Towns
Jokic
Embiid
Capela
Gobert
Davis
Bam
Sabonis
Turner
Allen
Ayton

Centers I would take over JV but same tier:
Holmes
Nurcik
Zubac

JV is a center with no argument for top 10 and sits cleanly in the 10-6 range. I would say that is the definition of mediocre when assessing all starting Centers.

I would not pursue a player like JV if my goals were championship aspirations [Where Dallas is] because he can be played off the floor and targeted in the post-season.

How many of those guys are available?


Is JV/Hart instead of THT/Brunson moving the needle for Dallas? Could you explain how it is?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.


penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.


E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#22 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Mediocre: of only moderate quality

Starting Centers in NBA: 30
Starting Centers clearly ahead of JV:
Towns
Jokic
Embiid
Capela
Gobert
Davis
Bam
Sabonis
Turner
Allen
Ayton

Centers I would take over JV but same tier:
Holmes
Nurcik
Zubac

JV is a center with no argument for top 10 and sits cleanly in the 10-6 range. I would say that is the definition of mediocre when assessing all starting Centers.

I would not pursue a player like JV if my goals were championship aspirations [Where Dallas is] because he can be played off the floor and targeted in the post-season.


I think 10-16 would be classified as average to above average. Personally I would reserve using the term mediocre for starting centers in the 22+ range. Steven Adams is mediocre for example.


I will continue using Mediocre to describe centers like JV and you can use it for 22+.

We can both agree JV isn't moving the needle for Dallas though.

Valanciunas is definitely no star player and may even be mediocre as you say (although definitely not mediocre at rebounding) but he is light years better than Powell and/or WCS. Valanciunas would be a huge upgrade over those two even if he is just mediocre.
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#23 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Mediocre: of only moderate quality

Starting Centers in NBA: 30
Starting Centers clearly ahead of JV:
Towns
Jokic
Embiid
Capela
Gobert
Davis
Bam
Sabonis
Turner
Allen
Ayton

Centers I would take over JV but same tier:
Holmes
Nurcik
Zubac

JV is a center with no argument for top 10 and sits cleanly in the 10-6 range. I would say that is the definition of mediocre when assessing all starting Centers.

I would not pursue a player like JV if my goals were championship aspirations [Where Dallas is] because he can be played off the floor and targeted in the post-season.

How many of those guys are available?


Is JV/Hart instead of THT/Brunson moving the needle for Dallas? Could you explain how it is?

Keep in mind I said earlier in this thread that this trade only makes sense if Dragic is bought out and joins the Mavs.

If that happens and they trade for Valanciunas/Hart they would probably be a better shooting team and would be a MUCH better rebounding team. Valanciunas also provides insurance in case KP gets injured again. He also allows KP to get a bit more rest during the regular season. Valanciunas would be a massive upgrade of Powell/WCS who’s minutes he’d be getting.
User avatar
PaKwAn
Veteran
Posts: 2,836
And1: 1,345
Joined: Dec 04, 2007

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#24 » by PaKwAn » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:25 pm

Yeah i doubt the pels do this...if they are trading Val it's for draft capital because they are waving the white flag
sisibilio
Head Coach
Posts: 6,139
And1: 653
Joined: Nov 18, 2009

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#25 » by sisibilio » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:53 pm

How about Willy instead of JV?
WCS + 2nd + cash would be enough?
Not a great defender but he can rebound and is a solid scorer. Still a significant upgrade over WCS and Powell.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
Mr B
General Manager
Posts: 8,819
And1: 2,177
Joined: Nov 20, 2014
         

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#26 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:35 pm

sisibilio wrote:How about Willy instead of JV?
WCS + 2nd + cash would be enough?
Not a great defender but he can rebound and is a solid scorer. Still a significant upgrade over WCS and Powell.

I’d be ok adding Willie but I don’t know that I’d throw in a 2nd round pick. He honestly might be about equal value to WCS.
Michaellam1987
Junior
Posts: 275
And1: 44
Joined: Jan 22, 2020

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#27 » by Michaellam1987 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 pm

it is close value-wise for both team, with slight favourable to DAL, but fit-wise it is not good for either team,
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 71,334
And1: 68,790
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: Purgatory
   

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:07 pm

sisibilio wrote:How about Willy instead of JV?
WCS + 2nd + cash would be enough?
Not a great defender but he can rebound and is a solid scorer. Still a significant upgrade over WCS and Powell.


I'll bite. In what world is he a significant upgrade over Powell/WCS? Because his career certainly doesn't tell us that and I sure hope we aren't basing this on 65 largely garbage time minutes this year.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
User avatar
Mrakar
Pro Prospect
Posts: 760
And1: 550
Joined: Sep 01, 2010

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#29 » by Mrakar » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 am

So Pels are trading 2 players that are probably only players that are playing better than expected this season. That's how you improve your team!
ZombieKilla
Pro Prospect
Posts: 899
And1: 958
Joined: Jan 20, 2014
 

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#30 » by ZombieKilla » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:32 pm

Theis can probably be had just for a TPE (Dallas has a $10.8 M TPE)
The 2 big lineup isn't working and they are keeping Wood & Sengun, so Theis is the odd man out.
Or Theis/Gordon for Powell/Burke/TPE.
Or Theis/Gordon/House for Powell/Burke/Brown after December 15.

Return to Trades and Transactions