Valančiūnas to Dallas

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Re: Valančiūnas to Dallas 

Post#21 » by Colbinii » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Mediocre? Also JV can space the floor himself too

Mediocre: of only moderate quality

Starting Centers in NBA: 30
Starting Centers clearly ahead of JV:
Towns
Jokic
Embiid
Capela
Gobert
Davis
Bam
Sabonis
Turner
Allen
Ayton

Centers I would take over JV but same tier:
Holmes
Nurcik
Zubac

JV is a center with no argument for top 10 and sits cleanly in the 10-6 range. I would say that is the definition of mediocre when assessing all starting Centers.

I would not pursue a player like JV if my goals were championship aspirations [Where Dallas is] because he can be played off the floor and targeted in the post-season.

How many of those guys are available?

Is JV/Hart instead of THT/Brunson moving the needle for Dallas? Could you explain how it is?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,993

Post#22 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Towns
Jokic
Embiid
Capela
Gobert
Davis
Bam
Sabonis
Turner
Allen
Ayton

Holmes
Nurcik
Zubac

JV is a center with no argument for top 10 and sits cleanly in the 10-6 range. I would say that is the definition of mediocre when assessing all starting Centers.

I would not pursue a player like JV if my goals were championship aspirations [Where Dallas is] because he can be played off the floor and targeted in the post-season.

I think 10-16 would be classified as average to above average. Personally I would reserve using the term mediocre for starting centers in the 22+ range. Steven Adams is mediocre for example.

I will continue using Mediocre to describe centers like JV and you can use it for 22+.

We can both agree JV isn't moving the needle for Dallas though.

Valanciunas is definitely no star player and may even be mediocre as you say (although definitely not mediocre at rebounding) but he is light years better than Powell and/or WCS. Valanciunas would be a huge upgrade over those two even if he is just mediocre.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#23 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:22 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Towns
Jokic
Embiid
Capela
Gobert
Davis
Bam
Sabonis
Turner
Allen
Ayton

Holmes
Nurcik
Zubac

How many of those guys are available?

Is JV/Hart instead of THT/Brunson moving the needle for Dallas? Could you explain how it is?

Keep in mind I said earlier in this thread that this trade only makes sense if Dragic is bought out and joins the Mavs.

If that happens and they trade for Valanciunas/Hart they would probably be a better shooting team and would be a MUCH better rebounding team. Valanciunas also provides insurance in case KP gets injured again. He also allows KP to get a bit more rest during the regular season. Valanciunas would be a massive upgrade of Powell/WCS who’s minutes he’d be getting.
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,529

Post#24 » by PaKwAn » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:25 pm

Yeah i doubt the pels do this...if they are trading Val it's for draft capital because they are waving the white flag
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,068

Post#25 » by sisibilio » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:53 pm

How about Willy instead of JV?
WCS + 2nd + cash would be enough?
Not a great defender but he can rebound and is a solid scorer. Still a significant upgrade over WCS and Powell.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Mr B
RealGM

Post#26 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:35 pm

sisibilio wrote:How about Willy instead of JV?
Not a great defender but he can rebound and is a solid scorer. Still a significant upgrade over WCS and Powell.

I’d be ok adding Willie but I don’t know that I’d throw in a 2nd round pick. He honestly might be about equal value to WCS.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 354

Post#27 » by Michaellam1987 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 pm

it is close value-wise for both team, with slight favourable to DAL, but fit-wise it is not good for either team,
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,640

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:07 pm

sisibilio wrote:How about Willy instead of JV?

I'll bite. In what world is he a significant upgrade over Powell/WCS? Because his career certainly doesn't tell us that and I sure hope we aren't basing this on 65 largely garbage time minutes this year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,311

Post#29 » by Mrakar » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 am

So Pels are trading 2 players that are probably only players that are playing better than expected this season. That's how you improve your team!
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#30 » by ZombieKilla » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:32 pm

Theis can probably be had just for a TPE (Dallas has a $10.8 M TPE)
The 2 big lineup isn't working and they are keeping Wood & Sengun, so Theis is the odd man out.
Or Theis/Gordon for Powell/Burke/TPE.
Or Theis/Gordon/House for Powell/Burke/Brown after December 15.

Return to Trades and Transactions