ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

User avatar
gigantes
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,350
And1: 593
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#561 » by gigantes » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:08 am

GTR11 wrote:Monarchy Oligarchy to be simplistic. MDB pointed it right. This country bent to losers of the Civil War.

FTFY, and you're exactly right.

The North won the war itself, but the South won the narrative of the post-war.

This country had a real chance to join the rest of the first world in terms of integration and forming a unified culture, and instead the scoundrels, racists and capitalist opportunists snuck the opportunity away over time. :/
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 40,826
And1: 16,575
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#562 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:46 pm

gigantes wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Monarchy Oligarchy to be simplistic. MDB pointed it right. This country bent to losers of the Civil War.

FTFY, and you're exactly right.

The North won the war itself, but the South won the narrative of the post-war.

This country had a real chance to join the rest of the first world in terms of integration and forming a unified culture, and instead the scoundrels, racists and capitalist opportunists snuck the opportunity away over time. :/


Reconstruction after the Civil War was a mixed bag at best. It also didn't help that Lincoln got his head blown off and Andrew Johnson was sympathetic to white supremacist traitors.

The idea that there would be unity after the Civil War was a delusional pipe dream. Every general and political figure from the confederacy should have been hung or shot to death for starters and the southern states should have been dissolved and treated like conquered enemy territory under US control. Instead, they treated them with kid gloves and today the United States is basically 2 nations masquerading as one.
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,529
And1: 1,612
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#563 » by GTR11 » Fri May 21, 2021 2:39 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm not sure what else to say. They spent millions of dollars for nothing and forced Clinton among few others to testify. They've been attacked by mob right there at work and it's just tourists passing by?
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,529
And1: 1,612
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#564 » by GTR11 » Fri May 21, 2021 4:43 am

Also Y'all pretty much seen how ticket prices differentiate right now.

Tsai -> socialist
Dolan -> Republican. Pro Trump who donated into his funds multiple times.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 40,826
And1: 16,575
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#565 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 21, 2021 12:41 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm not sure what else to say. They spent millions of dollars for nothing and forced Clinton among few others to testify. They've been attacked by mob right there at work and it's just tourists passing by?



The issue is that Democrats, particularly the older ones like Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, continue to attempt to negotiate with literal traitors in good faith instead of doing what needs to be done, appointing a special prosecutor to do a full scale investigation into the role every single Congressperson played in January 6th's insurrection.

Rep. Ayanna Presley had the panic buttons forcibly ripped out from her office a day before the attack happened. That is evidence enough to suggest that this was a premediated event planned from the inside and someone was hoping that a few people would be killed in order to prevent the certification of the vote.

I wouldn't be sitting around trying to be bipartisan and negotiate with people who tried to get me killed.
User avatar
gigantes
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,350
And1: 593
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#566 » by gigantes » Thu May 27, 2021 2:10 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/nk1cqp/democrats_must_make_the_gop_spell_out_what_it_is/gzapptu/

It got deleted of course, but here's the text, missing links: (hope I can restore them later)
This is a meta problem that liberals, leftists, and the Democratic party especially have a huge problem with. We don't understand Republicans because they do not think or behave like we do on a very fundamental level. It's why we've been blindsided by them for decades, and it puts us at a strategic disadvantage. Uncovering this mystery is necessary for future electoral success and the survival of our Republic as we know it.

One of the earliest problems electorally is that Republican policy is so goddamned evil voters literally do not believe anyone could actually endorse it, and therefore pass it off as partisan spin. That alone is a challenging issue, but the real problem goes deeper.

It's a pastime of liberal pundits to point out that the pro-life governor of some flyover state also supports the death penalty and so on and so forth. We get incredulous and infuriated at their blatant hypocrisy. We call them stupid, which really sets them off and fuels a lifetime of hatred for liberals, leftists, and Democrats in the hearts of each and every conservative. However, they don't see themselves that way. They don't think of themselves as self-serving hypocrites or idiots who can't keep their facts straight long enough to form a cogent argument in continuity with the rest of their ideology. We try to describe this as "cognitive dissonance" or other give other armchair diagnosis that doesn't fully capture what's going on. I'd like to give them more credit than that. They clearly believe in something, and in that context their words and actions would make sense, but it's not what they're self-advertising when you ask what they believe in.

I hypothesize that Republicans (and conservatives in general) are not fully honest with themselves or others about what they believe, yet they possess a fully-fleshed out belief system that is self-supporting based on unspoken assumptions that they cannot articulate except through euphemism.

And I think it works like this... Start with two core assumptions:

Hierarchy is natural, inevitable, and desirable.
We live in a zero-sum world.
Everyone has a spot on the big food pyramid of the socio-political hierarchy. Good, smart, and hardworking people of merit make their way to the top. Bad, dumb, and lazy people go to the bottom. For convenience sake, this hierarchy is color-coded. In a zero-sum world, everyone who gets to the top has to knock someone down a rung to make room.

The great thing about this system is that it just... works. You don't have to think about it. All else being equal, this is humanity's natural state. It plays nicely with the Just World fallacy. In this world there are no problems to be solved, merely endured. Is poverty a problem? Don't be poor. Is there a pandemic sweeping the world? Don't be unhealthy, and you won't end up on a ventilator. It's not anyone else's responsibility to fix your problems for you.

That's where liberals come in. Those damn bastard liberals started mucking things up trying fix problems, taking people on the bottom of the pyramid and putting them on the top. That's not fair to conservatives! It's messing with the natural order of things! (One time they did it with a black president and everyone lost their goddamn minds.) This is the root and shoot of all evil, according to conservatives.

Forget climate change, inequality, racism, healthcare, etc. Liberals are a problem to be solved. (Leftists get lumped in there too.) They're broken people. Moral failures. They've been duped into believing Marxist propaganda and are controlled by "Globalists" (ie: the Jews). Their voters are illegitimate because they've either fools, dead people not yet purged from the rolls, bussed in illegal immigrants, or some other fabrication. Their leaders are likewise illegitimate, which means it's okay to break the rules in order to oppose them. It's a moral imperative to do so, in fact.

When conservatives are in charge (like they're supposed to be), their role isn't to fix problems. Government is supposed to enforce the hierarchy by punishing those who defy it. I've spoke elsewhere on how that intersects with the abortion debate. When conservatives aren't in power their job isn't to compromise and keep the wheels of government turning as the loyal opposition, it's to get back in control at any cost. That's because conservatives alone are legitimate and moral leaders, and anything they do or say is likewise legitimate and moral.

The final takeaway is this: Conservatives are not failed liberals. It's not like they left their empathy in their other jeans this morning, or haven't had the issues explained properly to them yet. They aren't interested in creating a better society that is more fair, just, and equitable because they don't believe in one. They want things to go back to "normal," a vegetative state where nothing ever happens and everyone has their place, briefly punctuated by righteous state-sponsored anger against some heretical deviant.

A lot of these things are borrowed observations that I'm trying to patch together, but I'd be remiss not to plug The Alt-Right Playbook series for its fantastic work. It's also difficult to verify because it's not like any conservative would ever actually validate what I'm saying out of simple self interest, and also because they typically have above average self awareness relative to common root vegetables. However I think if you plug this thinking in to the next incredulous thing your favorite high profile conservative villain says or does, it might make a little more sense.
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,529
And1: 1,612
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#567 » by GTR11 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:52 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

If you guys think propaganda won't be used here, think again. Kyrie is antivax poster child. GOP, Russia etc using him to spread massive chaos.
User avatar
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
Posts: 34,091
And1: 12,012
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
       

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#568 » by Rich Rane » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:05 am

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

If you guys think propaganda won't be used here, think again. Kyrie is antivax poster child. GOP, Russia etc using him to spread massive chaos.


The "voiceless".
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 40,826
And1: 16,575
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#569 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:18 am

Rich Rane wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

If you guys think propaganda won't be used here, think again. Kyrie is antivax poster child. GOP, Russia etc using him to spread massive chaos.


The "voiceless".


Thankfully, he's been radio silent. I could not fathom how dangerous Kyrie would be if he actually backed up that empty statement. I literally spent an hour today breaking down how vaccines work to one of my oldest friends who simply refuses to get vaccinated...and it was a complete waste of time.

I can imagine how KD feels right now.
User avatar
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
Posts: 34,091
And1: 12,012
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
       

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#570 » by Rich Rane » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:43 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

If you guys think propaganda won't be used here, think again. Kyrie is antivax poster child. GOP, Russia etc using him to spread massive chaos.


The "voiceless".


Thankfully, he's been radio silent. I could not fathom how dangerous Kyrie would be if he actually backed up that empty statement. I literally spent an hour today breaking down how vaccines work to one of my oldest friends who simply refuses to get vaccinated...and it was a complete waste of time.

I can imagine how KD feels right now.


I know how you feel all too well.

And if Kyrie came out and said he didn't know these types of people would put him as their front man, I would've gotten a headache. It didn't exactly take any critical thinking to predict that would happen.
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,529
And1: 1,612
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#571 » by GTR11 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

The versatility of mRNA and the ability of one’s body to create therapeutic proteins from synthetic mRNA shows tremendous potential in the fight against viruses, cancers, and even genetic and rare diseases with the possibility of repairing or replacing broken or deficient proteins that cause such diseases.


If it's going to work out... game changer for sure.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 40,826
And1: 16,575
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#572 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:11 am

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

The versatility of mRNA and the ability of one’s body to create therapeutic proteins from synthetic mRNA shows tremendous potential in the fight against viruses, cancers, and even genetic and rare diseases with the possibility of repairing or replacing broken or deficient proteins that cause such diseases.


If it's going to work out... game changer for sure.



Yeah when I was figuring out which vaccine I wanted to get I did a lot of reading on mRNA and it made me excited for what is to come.

I mean we could be potentially years away from having cancer vaccines or cures! How can anyone not be excited about this??
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 40,647
And1: 13,726
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#573 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 1, 2021 4:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm not sure what else to say. They spent millions of dollars for nothing and forced Clinton among few others to testify. They've been attacked by mob right there at work and it's just tourists passing by?



The issue is that Democrats, particularly the older ones like Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, continue to attempt to negotiate with literal traitors in good faith instead of doing what needs to be done, appointing a special prosecutor to do a full scale investigation into the role every single Congressperson played in January 6th's insurrection.

Rep. Ayanna Presley had the panic buttons forcibly ripped out from her office a day before the attack happened. That is evidence enough to suggest that this was a premediated event planned from the inside and someone was hoping that a few people would be killed in order to prevent the certification of the vote.

I wouldn't be sitting around trying to be bipartisan and negotiate with people who tried to get me killed.


it just infuriates me that the Jan 6th was covered like it was an episode of like keeping up with the kardasians... like oh look this is happening. haha. what loons. carry on.

Like this was some wore torn 3rd world **** where you have armed citizens attacking the capital while congress is in session in a planned coordinated event. To me this is up there with 9-11 (not as far as lives lost obviously) but as far as a coordinated attack on our democracy and country.

EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. who entered the building that day should be tried for TREASON and aggressively pursue the maximum pumishment. i dont care if they were the nicest person ever with no record who just got caught up in some trump nonsense. you dont storm the capital. period.

anyone standing in the way of an investigation obviously had some ties to it.

this is a dark dark time for our county
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 40,647
And1: 13,726
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#574 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 1, 2021 4:15 pm

GTR11 wrote:Also Y'all pretty much seen how ticket prices differentiate right now.

Tsai -> socialist
Dolan -> Republican. Pro Trump who donated into his funds multiple times.


The knicks pries are higher because they have a more in demand product. the nets are hot and better but the knicks still have 100 times the interest.

i try not to dig to deep on tsai, everytime i do i hate the dude more.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 40,826
And1: 16,575
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#575 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 1, 2021 5:15 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm not sure what else to say. They spent millions of dollars for nothing and forced Clinton among few others to testify. They've been attacked by mob right there at work and it's just tourists passing by?



The issue is that Democrats, particularly the older ones like Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi, continue to attempt to negotiate with literal traitors in good faith instead of doing what needs to be done, appointing a special prosecutor to do a full scale investigation into the role every single Congressperson played in January 6th's insurrection.

Rep. Ayanna Presley had the panic buttons forcibly ripped out from her office a day before the attack happened. That is evidence enough to suggest that this was a premediated event planned from the inside and someone was hoping that a few people would be killed in order to prevent the certification of the vote.

I wouldn't be sitting around trying to be bipartisan and negotiate with people who tried to get me killed.


it just infuriates me that the Jan 6th was covered like it was an episode of like keeping up with the kardasians... like oh look this is happening. haha. what loons. carry on.

Like this was some wore torn 3rd world **** where you have armed citizens attacking the capital while congress is in session in a planned coordinated event. To me this is up there with 9-11 (not as far as lives lost obviously) but as far as a coordinated attack on our democracy and country.

EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. who entered the building that day should be tried for TREASON and aggressively pursue the maximum pumishment. i dont care if they were the nicest person ever with no record who just got caught up in some trump nonsense. you dont storm the capital. period.

anyone standing in the way of an investigation obviously had some ties to it.

this is a dark dark time for our county



I'm honestly disgusted with how this has been handled, but it's not surprising. The US Government, since the end of the Civil War has always coddled white supremacist traitors.

Anyone who set foot in the Capitol that day should have been put down during of after the fact. There were Republicans who told Rep. Adam Schiff that day that "you don't want to let them (the rioters) see you". Even they knew the deal. AOC was scared she was going to be raped and killed. Yet, all we see so far is these terrorists getting Light sentences, and the Justice Department is just twiddling their thumbs.

Similar to how things went down in Germany in the 20s and 30s, January 6th was a test run to see what they could get away with, like Hitler's Beer Hall Putsch.

The next time, it will be armed gunmen running into the Capitol building. Without warning, because now they see how easy it was.
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,529
And1: 1,612
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#576 » by GTR11 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:59 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,529
And1: 1,612
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#577 » by GTR11 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 4:03 am

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Also Y'all pretty much seen how ticket prices differentiate right now.

Tsai -> socialist
Dolan -> Republican. Pro Trump who donated into his funds multiple times.


The knicks pries are higher because they have a more in demand product. the nets are hot and better but the knicks still have 100 times the interest.

i try not to dig to deep on tsai, everytime i do i hate the dude more.


I just can't :lol:

Just wondering, what exactly puss you off about Tsai ( this will good one ).
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 40,647
And1: 13,726
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#578 » by Prokorov » Wed Nov 3, 2021 3:25 am

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Also Y'all pretty much seen how ticket prices differentiate right now.

Tsai -> socialist
Dolan -> Republican. Pro Trump who donated into his funds multiple times.


The knicks pries are higher because they have a more in demand product. the nets are hot and better but the knicks still have 100 times the interest.

i try not to dig to deep on tsai, everytime i do i hate the dude more.


I just can't :lol:

Just wondering, what exactly puss you off about Tsai ( this will good one ).


-Shady AF Alibaba stuff
-General support of communism and poor treatment of humans
-Backed china on the morey thing, strong armed the NBA
GTR11
Head Coach
Posts: 6,529
And1: 1,612
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#579 » by GTR11 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 2:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
The knicks pries are higher because they have a more in demand product. the nets are hot and better but the knicks still have 100 times the interest.

i try not to dig to deep on tsai, everytime i do i hate the dude more.


I just can't :lol:

Just wondering, what exactly puss you off about Tsai ( this will good one ).


-Shady AF Alibaba stuff
-General support of communism and poor treatment of humans
-Backed china on the morey thing, strong armed the NBA


Damn Prok at least compare him to others before saying your nonsense. All this crap you claim to be valid is pure bs.

As for Morey, that piece of trash didn't get punishment he should've got for years of his sh** doings. That ego maniac is no better than Sterling. He's a sole reason why this sh** show happening in Philly.

Communism won worst enemy that world has ever seen. Both China and Russia paid huge price for us today to be free. Also if you didn't notice we use a lot of communism stuff here ourselves. Union, Social security etc that provide regular folk equal opportunity and prevent oligarchy to create slavery we had.

Educate yourself please.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 40,826
And1: 16,575
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#580 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 3, 2021 3:45 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
I just can't :lol:

Just wondering, what exactly puss you off about Tsai ( this will good one ).


-Shady AF Alibaba stuff
-General support of communism and poor treatment of humans
-Backed china on the morey thing, strong armed the NBA


Damn Prok at least compare him to others before saying your nonsense. All this crap you claim to be valid is pure bs.

As for Morey, that piece of trash didn't get punishment he should've got for years of his sh** doings. That ego maniac is no better than Sterling. He's a sole reason why this sh** show happening in Philly.

Communism won worst enemy that world has ever seen. Both China and Russia paid huge price for us today to be free. Also if you didn't notice we use a lot of communism stuff here ourselves. Union, Social security etc that provide regular folk equal opportunity and prevent oligarchy to create slavery we had.

Educate yourself please.


As I've said in another thread, I'm withholding judgment on Joe Tsai and China after what happened to Jack Ma. He got uppity and spoke out against the government's behavior, and the dude ended up getting disappeared for months.

Tsai has family over there. Him lashing out at the CCP could end up disastrously for him. As hard as it may be to have empathy for a billionaire, I can't sit here and chastise him for something I might not be able to do if I was in his shoes. Xi Jinping is a monster.

On the other hand, I do see Tsai and his wife Clara doing a lot of good as well, through their Foundation in regards to social justice, medical science and social mobility. They put up 50 million dollars for a Social Justice fund for Brooklyn's BIPOC community. Joe has also been very outspoken in regards to improving things for WNBA players, and Clara is also on the board of the REFORM Alliance for criminal justice sentencing reform. So I kind of think it isn't black and white in terms of Joe Tsai.

Return to Brooklyn Nets