ImageImageImageImageImage

With Carmelo are we a playoff team?

Moderators: moocow007, Knickstape1214, magnumt, Capn'O, King of Canada, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, Thorn, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC

User avatar
Iron Mantis
RealGM
Posts: 11,467
And1: 2,722
Joined: Aug 12, 2006
   

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#41 » by Iron Mantis » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:40 pm

Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i think so...

i want him gone nao!

Depends.

If Jeff starts him at PF and KP at C then I call a 4th seed. If Melo is a SF and KP is a PF we will not make the playoffs.

This. The clumsy defensive tandem of Melo/KP/Willy up front is easy lotto pick in today's NBA.

Unless Melo has found the fountain of youth, he is most effective as a 4 now.
User avatar
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 47,559
And1: 22,241
Joined: Feb 25, 2010
Location: Killigan's Island
     

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#42 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:45 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
Greenie wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i think so...

i want him gone nao!

Depends.

If Jeff starts him at PF and KP at C then I call a 4th seed. If Melo is a SF and KP is a PF we will not make the playoffs.

This. The clumsy defensive tandem of Melo/KP/Willy up front is easy lotto pick in today's NBA.

Unless Melo has found the fountain of youth, he is most effective as a 4 now.

Yep.

And now you have PG's that are looking to pass. Everyone can actually shoot so you can't play back off of people. It's a hard match up for other teams.

KP - can shoot
Melo - can shoot
Lee - can shoot
Timmy - can shoot
Frank - I've been told dude is wet

Noah and Rose are not fuqing up the spacing. You must guard your man or you are giving up a three. No more playing off. No no no.
BAF - Pistons
F:Cauley-Stein(28)|Baynes(20)|Onuaku
F:Morris(28)|Patterson(20)|Scott
F:Thompson(32)|Swaggy(12)|Williams
G:Brogdon(30)|Richardson(20)|Vaughn
G:Hill(30)|Joseph(20)|Baldwin
Head Coach - Stan Van Gundy
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 22,397
And1: 11,556
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#43 » by dakomish23 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:53 pm

Greenie wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
Greenie wrote:Depends.

If Jeff starts him at PF and KP at C then I call a 4th seed. If Melo is a SF and KP is a PF we will not make the playoffs.

This. The clumsy defensive tandem of Melo/KP/Willy up front is easy lotto pick in today's NBA.

Unless Melo has found the fountain of youth, he is most effective as a 4 now.

Yep.

And now you have PG's that are looking to pass. Everyone can actually shoot so you can't play back off of people. It's a hard match up for other teams.

KP - can shoot
Melo - can shoot
Lee - can shoot
Timmy - can shoot
Frank - I've been told dude is wet

Noah and Rose are not fuqing up the spacing. You must guard your man or you are giving up a three. No more playing off. No no no.


We still need someone who can run the PnR to create a mismatch / collapse the defense. If we could do that, we'd be pretty potent offensively.
Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:Melo is the reason why we are in the mess we are in now. Acquiring him was the biggest mistake in knicks history.


blueNorange wrote:good thing knicks have kanter because willy looking pedestrian af
User avatar
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 47,559
And1: 22,241
Joined: Feb 25, 2010
Location: Killigan's Island
     

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#44 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:56 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:This. The clumsy defensive tandem of Melo/KP/Willy up front is easy lotto pick in today's NBA.

Unless Melo has found the fountain of youth, he is most effective as a 4 now.

Yep.

And now you have PG's that are looking to pass. Everyone can actually shoot so you can't play back off of people. It's a hard match up for other teams.

KP - can shoot
Melo - can shoot
Lee - can shoot
Timmy - can shoot
Frank - I've been told dude is wet

Noah and Rose are not fuqing up the spacing. You must guard your man or you are giving up a three. No more playing off. No no no.


We still need someone who can run the PnR to create mismatch / collapse the defense.


I think Frank AND Timmy can do that. Timmy especially. One of Timmy's greatest improvements was his ball handling. The only thing with Timmy though will be if he will pass out to the open man. I think Frank will, but Timmy is a scorer.
BAF - Pistons
F:Cauley-Stein(28)|Baynes(20)|Onuaku
F:Morris(28)|Patterson(20)|Scott
F:Thompson(32)|Swaggy(12)|Williams
G:Brogdon(30)|Richardson(20)|Vaughn
G:Hill(30)|Joseph(20)|Baldwin
Head Coach - Stan Van Gundy
User avatar
FKF
RealGM
Posts: 10,723
And1: 517
Joined: Nov 08, 2001
   

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#45 » by FKF » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:01 pm

Greenie wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Kristaps6_NYK wrote:With Carmelo are we a playoff team?


short answer no

long answer, no way


last year we had the same people plus Rose and Noah for a longer stretch

sure the easy got worse with Butler and George leaving but indy was terrible last year anyway and Chi wasn't so hot


the east sucks but not enough to offset how bad we are


with or without melo were not winning more than 35 games

The triangle is gone.
We rebalanced by removing a score first PG.


If Melo and KP are placed in advantages by moving up a position and carry the scoring load we are making the playoffs and it won't be a last minute make.

On offense KP and Melo as your bigs is a problem for the league. They can both shoot and are quick at those positions. On defense, Melo becomes average(he's a very good positional post defender) and KP does his thing and swats shots.

We added athletes that can get out and run allowing for Melo to trail for those transition 3's with KP flashing to the basket.


Tank nation will be dead if Jeff rolls out:

KP
Melo
Lee
THJ
Frank


Delusional
No Melo. No Problem.
User avatar
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 45,427
And1: 7,834
Joined: Dec 06, 2002
Location: Playoffs Fool!
Contact:

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#46 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Aug 9, 2017 8:11 pm

Greenie wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Kristaps6_NYK wrote:With Carmelo are we a playoff team?


short answer no

long answer, no way


last year we had the same people plus Rose and Noah for a longer stretch

sure the easy got worse with Butler and George leaving but indy was terrible last year anyway and Chi wasn't so hot


the east sucks but not enough to offset how bad we are


with or without melo were not winning more than 35 games

The triangle is gone.
We rebalanced by removing a score first PG.


If Melo and KP are placed in advantages by moving up a position and carry the scoring load we are making the playoffs and it won't be a last minute make.

On offense KP and Melo as your bigs is a problem for the league. They can both shoot and are quick at those positions. On defense, Melo becomes average(he's a very good positional post defender) and KP does his thing and swats shots.

We added athletes that can get out and run allowing for Melo to trail for those transition 3's with KP flashing to the basket.


Tank nation will be dead if Jeff rolls out:

KP
Melo
Lee
THJ
Frank

i think you are gonna be sadly disappointed
User avatar
sushibear
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,560
And1: 2,346
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
 

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#47 » by sushibear » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:07 pm

Helllll noooo. Foh
User avatar
King of Canada
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 11,652
And1: 6,731
Joined: Nov 03, 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
   

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#48 » by King of Canada » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:09 pm

Ahhhh, it's not August until somebody asks this age old question........
BAF Pacers
J. Calderon/F. Mason/J. Lucas
J. Murray/Vujacic/D. Brooks
J. Green/C. Osman
L. MarkkanenJ. Hill
K. Porzingis/Hibbert

IR B. Knight, H. Giles, A. Pasecniks

Exempt F. Jackson
User avatar
Besart19
General Manager
Posts: 8,199
And1: 1,572
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
Location: Dibra, Albania
   

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#49 » by Besart19 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:14 pm

Frank/Sessions/Randle
Timmy/Baker/Dotson
Lee/Lance/Kuzminskas
Carmelo/KOQ/Beasley
KP/WHG/Noah/Kornet

If healthy and small-ball, #5 seed is possible
Image
13ringsruling
Senior
Posts: 647
And1: 258
Joined: Apr 05, 2015

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#50 » by 13ringsruling » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:25 pm

i mean hey my nba2k17 season with last seasons Knicks team is 37-18 right now........anything is possible, like my man KG once said
User avatar
K-DOT
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,515
And1: 3,330
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
       

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#51 » by K-DOT » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:31 pm

And as far as real friends, tell all my cousins I love 'em
Even the one that stole the laptop, you dirty motherf*cker
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 43,294
And1: 10,745
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#52 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:32 pm

Absolutely not.
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
Traveyknicks23
Analyst
Posts: 3,098
And1: 1,106
Joined: Feb 23, 2015
         

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#53 » by Traveyknicks23 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:09 pm

Lotto picks are a dead issue this team will not be picking top 5
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 41,792
And1: 13,680
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#54 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:25 pm

Please stop with all this optimism.
User avatar
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 47,559
And1: 22,241
Joined: Feb 25, 2010
Location: Killigan's Island
     

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#55 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:27 pm

FKF wrote:
Greenie wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
short answer no

long answer, no way


last year we had the same people plus Rose and Noah for a longer stretch

sure the easy got worse with Butler and George leaving but indy was terrible last year anyway and Chi wasn't so hot


the east sucks but not enough to offset how bad we are


with or without melo were not winning more than 35 games

The triangle is gone.
We rebalanced by removing a score first PG.


If Melo and KP are placed in advantages by moving up a position and carry the scoring load we are making the playoffs and it won't be a last minute make.

On offense KP and Melo as your bigs is a problem for the league. They can both shoot and are quick at those positions. On defense, Melo becomes average(he's a very good positional post defender) and KP does his thing and swats shots.

We added athletes that can get out and run allowing for Melo to trail for those transition 3's with KP flashing to the basket.


Tank nation will be dead if Jeff rolls out:

KP
Melo
Lee
THJ
Frank


Delusional

Only you.

Foe list because I have already had bull run ins with you.
BAF - Pistons
F:Cauley-Stein(28)|Baynes(20)|Onuaku
F:Morris(28)|Patterson(20)|Scott
F:Thompson(32)|Swaggy(12)|Williams
G:Brogdon(30)|Richardson(20)|Vaughn
G:Hill(30)|Joseph(20)|Baldwin
Head Coach - Stan Van Gundy
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 41,792
And1: 13,680
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#56 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:30 pm

Greenie wrote:
FKF wrote:
Greenie wrote:The triangle is gone.
We rebalanced by removing a score first PG.


If Melo and KP are placed in advantages by moving up a position and carry the scoring load we are making the playoffs and it won't be a last minute make.

On offense KP and Melo as your bigs is a problem for the league. They can both shoot and are quick at those positions. On defense, Melo becomes average(he's a very good positional post defender) and KP does his thing and swats shots.

We added athletes that can get out and run allowing for Melo to trail for those transition 3's with KP flashing to the basket.


Tank nation will be dead if Jeff rolls out:

KP
Melo
Lee
THJ
Frank


Delusional

Only you.

Foe list because I have already had bull run ins with you.


If he's any relation to TKF, then I'll put him on ignore too. Just because.
User avatar
vallen
General Manager
Posts: 8,243
And1: 1,427
Joined: Jan 31, 2005
       

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#57 » by vallen » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:35 pm

melo being melo will have everyone standing around, bored, and disinterested as usual. frank probly wont even start over ramon sessions. we should be good for a 5-9 lotto seed.
User avatar
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 47,559
And1: 22,241
Joined: Feb 25, 2010
Location: Killigan's Island
     

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#58 » by Greenie » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:46 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Greenie wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
short answer no

long answer, no way


last year we had the same people plus Rose and Noah for a longer stretch

sure the easy got worse with Butler and George leaving but indy was terrible last year anyway and Chi wasn't so hot


the east sucks but not enough to offset how bad we are


with or without melo were not winning more than 35 games

The triangle is gone.
We rebalanced by removing a score first PG.


If Melo and KP are placed in advantages by moving up a position and carry the scoring load we are making the playoffs and it won't be a last minute make.

On offense KP and Melo as your bigs is a problem for the league. They can both shoot and are quick at those positions. On defense, Melo becomes average(he's a very good positional post defender) and KP does his thing and swats shots.

We added athletes that can get out and run allowing for Melo to trail for those transition 3's with KP flashing to the basket.


Tank nation will be dead if Jeff rolls out:

KP
Melo
Lee
THJ
Frank

i think you are gonna be sadly disappointed

I wouldn't care if we didn't make the playoffs. This is simply my opinion.
BAF - Pistons
F:Cauley-Stein(28)|Baynes(20)|Onuaku
F:Morris(28)|Patterson(20)|Scott
F:Thompson(32)|Swaggy(12)|Williams
G:Brogdon(30)|Richardson(20)|Vaughn
G:Hill(30)|Joseph(20)|Baldwin
Head Coach - Stan Van Gundy
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 40,349
And1: 5,676
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#59 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 am

no

melo doesn't make a team good
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 40,349
And1: 5,676
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#60 » by blueNorange » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 am

i love heel NLR, i feel like we make a good duo
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image

Return to New York Knicks