ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract?

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, Jeff Van Gully, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, King of Canada, j4remi, mpharris36, Thorn, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, GONYK, K-DOT, mrpoetryNmotion

Asset or nah

Yes
43
50%
No
28
33%
Not sure
15
17%
 
Total votes: 86

knicks78
Ballboy
Posts: 21
And1: 16
Joined: Apr 29, 2018
   

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#41 » by knicks78 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
DowNY wrote:If Lee is considered an albatross at $12M for 2 more seasons & he actually brings consistency with his play and health for the most part, then I have no clue what you can call Hardaway Jr & Noah's contracts.


Comparatively speaking, Timmy provides adequate production compared to those at his position making similar money. Yes, he's overpaid but its not like he a scrub. He's alright. Not bad, not very good. Decent. Just not worth 18 mill

I wonder if the opinion on Timmy would change if he were only making 12-14 mill a year as opposed to 18-20. He's not that bad

Noah, otoh is a mega-albatross. I hope the Knicks take their medicine and just ride out that contract to the bitter end. Dont stretch him and have that dead money counting against the cap into the early 2020s


Thats what it is tho 12-14 is ok, 20 isnt
knicks78
Ballboy
Posts: 21
And1: 16
Joined: Apr 29, 2018
   

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#42 » by knicks78 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 am

will be happy if clee is gone and we don't have to use assets tho
User avatar
Daaaarryyl
Starter
Posts: 2,100
And1: 365
Joined: Jan 13, 2002
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#43 » by Daaaarryyl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 am

2010 wrote:Albatross due to circumstances.

Teams know our situation. Know we are in play for a 2019 max free agent.

Know we desperately need to move Lee and/or Noah.

They will tax us heavily to take on his deal the same way we got taxed heavily in the form of a 1st round pick in 2010 to get someone to take on Jared Jeffries, who was only making a mere $5 million MLE contract.


Was worried about this.. He's a guy a contender should have interest in...but that extra year :nonono:


Maybe a team at the deadline would deal a few 2nd's and expiring's for Kanter and say, Burke, who I believe is going to have a nice season as a scoring 6th man.


Then spin those picks to a team that will absorb Lee's contract?? IDK :-?
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years


Less Bulls, MORE books!!
seren
RealGM
Posts: 22,003
And1: 2,064
Joined: Jul 21, 2002

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#44 » by seren » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:04 am

He is not an asset. If you can find an expiring for him, you do the deal.
User avatar
Ignitowsky
General Manager
Posts: 8,683
And1: 2,326
Joined: Oct 16, 2005

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#45 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 am

It's all relative. Lee would be an asset on an any good team. good outside shooter, plays defense, good character guy, still has a couple of good years left, salary is not horrific. His value on our team however is only as a studying veteran presence for the youngsters.

I think he'd be a great fit on a I think he'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers or even Boston.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
DrCoach
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,876
And1: 2,197
Joined: May 24, 2014

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#46 » by DrCoach » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 am

I think we may need a contender to have a injury before we can trade him.


Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
User avatar
Daaaarryyl
Starter
Posts: 2,100
And1: 365
Joined: Jan 13, 2002
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#47 » by Daaaarryyl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 am

god shammgod wrote:didn't we have this same exact thread already ? for our purposes, he might be an albatross if we can't get an expiring.


Speaking for myself, at the end of the season I thought they could get a pick for him.

Now looking into other team's situations and realizing many teams are looking at major cap space for '19-'20 and beyond I've changed my opinion.


Gonna need to move an asset(s) to move him now IMO
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years


Less Bulls, MORE books!!
User avatar
nykballa2k4
RealGM
Posts: 22,976
And1: 3,070
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Kurt Rhombus is managing the defense...
       

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#48 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 am

Daaaarryyl wrote:
god shammgod wrote:didn't we have this same exact thread already ? for our purposes, he might be an albatross if we can't get an expiring.


Speaking for myself, at the end of the season I thought they could get a pick for him.

Now looking into other team's situations and realizing many teams are looking at major cap space for '19-'20 and beyond I've changed my opinion.


Gonna need to move an asset(s) to move him now IMO


It would most likely take assets to move him today, but there is a slight chance that we can get an EC for him at the deadline.

Would Pistons entertain Lee+Burke for Galloway+Ish Smith?
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
User avatar
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
Posts: 379
And1: 431
Joined: May 29, 2018
     

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#49 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 am

Ignitowsky wrote:It's all relative. Lee would be an asset on an any good team. good outside shooter, plays defense, good character guy, still has a couple of good years left, salary is not horrific. His value on our team however is only as a studying veteran presence for the youngsters.

I think he'd be a great fit on a I think he'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers or even Boston.



Lakers are loaded at the 2guard slot tho. They have KCP, Lance, and Josh Hart. Lee isnt much of an upgrade over any1 in that trio, if he is at all.

Memphis was trying to land Avery Bradley. Have read Memphis still likes Lee from his previous stint, id explore that avenue
Image
New Knicks
Junior
Posts: 309
And1: 190
Joined: Jun 19, 2018

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#50 » by New Knicks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 am

Idc I want him gone and fast
Jonathan starks
Rookie
Posts: 1,057
And1: 638
Joined: Apr 01, 2018

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#51 » by Jonathan starks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:It's all relative. Lee would be an asset on an any good team. good outside shooter, plays defense, good character guy, still has a couple of good years left, salary is not horrific. His value on our team however is only as a studying veteran presence for the youngsters.

I think he'd be a great fit on a I think he'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers or even Boston.


Memphis is not trying to take on salary. I’m thinking Boston if smart jumps ship

Lakers are loaded at the 2guard slot tho. They have KCP, Lance, and Josh Hart. Lee isnt much of an upgrade over any1 in that trio, if he is at all.

Memphis was trying to land Avery Bradley. Have read Memphis still likes Lee from his previous stint, id explore that avenue
Fat Kat wrote:Walker is better than Trier


knicks85 wrote:Frank, Mitchell, Knox that order...
User avatar
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
Posts: 379
And1: 431
Joined: May 29, 2018
     

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#52 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:18 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:
god shammgod wrote:didn't we have this same exact thread already ? for our purposes, he might be an albatross if we can't get an expiring.


Speaking for myself, at the end of the season I thought they could get a pick for him.

Now looking into other team's situations and realizing many teams are looking at major cap space for '19-'20 and beyond I've changed my opinion.


Gonna need to move an asset(s) to move him now IMO


It would most likely take assets to move him today, but there is a slight chance that we can get an EC for him at the deadline.

Would Pistons entertain Lee+Burke for Galloway+Ish Smith?


Is the last year of Galloway's deal non-guaranteed? Cause if not, I wouldnt make this deal.
Image
kNicksGmen
Analyst
Posts: 3,068
And1: 351
Joined: Jun 24, 2011

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#53 » by kNicksGmen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:19 am

somewhere in between.
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 13,235
And1: 1,607
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#54 » by cgf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:It's all relative. Lee would be an asset on an any good team. good outside shooter, plays defense, good character guy, still has a couple of good years left, salary is not horrific. His value on our team however is only as a studying veteran presence for the youngsters.

I think he'd be a great fit on a I think he'd be a great fit on a team like the Lakers or even Boston.


Lakers are loaded at the 2guard slot tho. They have KCP, Lance, and Josh Hart. Lee isnt much of an upgrade over any1 in that trio, if he is at all.

Memphis was trying to land Avery Bradley. Have read Memphis still likes Lee from his previous stint, id explore that avenue


Memphis is not trying to take on salary. I’m thinking Boston if smart jumps ship


Memphis is going to be at the cap next year either way now that SA didn't match, so why not take on some extra money next year for a player they can actually make use of?
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
Jonathan starks
Rookie
Posts: 1,057
And1: 638
Joined: Apr 01, 2018

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#55 » by Jonathan starks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 am

cgf wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
Lakers are loaded at the 2guard slot tho. They have KCP, Lance, and Josh Hart. Lee isnt much of an upgrade over any1 in that trio, if he is at all.

Memphis was trying to land Avery Bradley. Have read Memphis still likes Lee from his previous stint, id explore that avenue


Memphis is not trying to take on salary. I’m thinking Boston if smart jumps ship


Memphis is going to be at the cap next year either way now that SA didn't match, so why not take on some extra money next year for a player they can actually make use of?



I dunno maybe. Last I heard they were desperate to get rid of parsons
Fat Kat wrote:Walker is better than Trier


knicks85 wrote:Frank, Mitchell, Knox that order...
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 13,235
And1: 1,607
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#56 » by cgf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
Memphis is not trying to take on salary. I’m thinking Boston if smart jumps ship


Memphis is going to be at the cap next year either way now that SA didn't match, so why not take on some extra money next year for a player they can actually make use of?



I dunno maybe. Last I heard they were desperate to get rid of parsons


I'm sure they are. I mean wouldn't you? I can't even imagine what they'd have to give up to get expirings back for him though.

That's like trading Noah, would be nice, but it ain't happening.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
User avatar
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
Posts: 379
And1: 431
Joined: May 29, 2018
     

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#57 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
cgf wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
Memphis is not trying to take on salary. I’m thinking Boston if smart jumps ship


Memphis is going to be at the cap next year either way now that SA didn't match, so why not take on some extra money next year for a player they can actually make use of?



I dunno maybe. Last I heard they were desperate to get rid of parsons


If they were that desperate to get out from under Parson's albatross deal they had the opportunity to do so last month by trading him + the 4th pick to some tanking team for assets. They passed on that opportunity and have since signed Slo-Mo to a 4 yr deal (even though they already have a bunch of PFs but thats whole other conversation) and like I said before they were also in the market for Avery Bradley. It appears to me that if a player is serviceable and is a fit they'd be willing to spend, regardless of the situation with Parsons
Image
User avatar
GEOLINK
Analyst
Posts: 3,459
And1: 2,360
Joined: Mar 16, 2014
       

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#58 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 am

Still don't know what type of special herbs Phil was smoking in the off-season of 2016.
How could you ever right these wrongs, when you don't even write your songs.
TimRobbins
Head Coach
Posts: 6,887
And1: 1,558
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#59 » by TimRobbins » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:46 am

He surely isn't an albatross. Can probably be traded for an expiring contratct.
jstudabaka
Rookie
Posts: 1,051
And1: 397
Joined: Mar 21, 2010

Re: Is Courtney lee an asset or an albatross contract? 

Post#60 » by jstudabaka » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 am

He's neither. His contract isn't albatross, but he's still making too much as a 33/34 yo for it to be too appealing for anyone else to take on.

Return to New York Knicks