ImageImageImageImageImage

Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) (Westbrook thread)

Moderators: mpharris36, NoLayupRule, King of Canada, GONYK, K-DOT, Deeeez Knicks, Capn'O, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion

User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 11,118
And1: 7,246
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#101 » by BKlutch » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Smith's biggest enemy and foil is himself. Talent is there. Just the question about whether his mind and heart are there. So far, it's mostly not.


Let the church say amen


I just think isn't a very good basketball player. He was always this shiny object with these very same questions about him before the draft. I'd rather have Langston Galloway on the Knicks than DSJ.

The guy we really need to get is Bernie.
edit: Sorry, maybe this should be in a differet thread. It's just that every time I see a post from Wingo, I immediately feel compelled to say we really needed Bernie.
.
.
MKGA Make Knicks Great Again
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 13,423
And1: 18,921
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#102 » by K-DOT » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:31 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Let the church say amen


I just think isn't a very good basketball player. He was always this shiny object with these very same questions about him before the draft. I'd rather have Langston Galloway on the Knicks than DSJ.

The guy we really need to get is Bernie.
edit: Sorry, maybe this should be in a differet thread. It's just that every time I see a post from Wingo, I immediately feel compelled to say we really needed Bernie.
NGL, he'd probably be a good PG

"99 percent of the shots go to 1% of all players. These 1%ers are taking all the hard work of the 99% and reaping all the benefits. We need to ensure that the 99% get their fair share of shots."

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Shabazz Napier
Killian Hayes/Tre Jones
Cam Johnson/Saddiq Bey
Onyeka Okongwu/Darius Bazley
Goga Bitadze/Bol Bol
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 11,118
And1: 7,246
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#103 » by BKlutch » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:44 pm

K-DOT wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
I just think isn't a very good basketball player. He was always this shiny object with these very same questions about him before the draft. I'd rather have Langston Galloway on the Knicks than DSJ.

The guy we really need to get is Bernie.
edit: Sorry, maybe this should be in a differet thread. It's just that every time I see a post from Wingo, I immediately feel compelled to say we really needed Bernie.
NGL, he'd probably be a good PG

"99 percent of the shots go to 1% of all players. These 1%ers are taking all the hard work of the 99% and reaping all the benefits. We need to ensure that the 99% get their fair share of shots."

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Yes! It's always the 1%!
.
.
MKGA Make Knicks Great Again
User avatar
RHODEY
RealGM
Posts: 10,863
And1: 5,623
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: Straight out of a comic book

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#104 » by RHODEY » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:46 pm

Perhaps the ideal Thibs PG isnt ideal for the Knicks. Frank was the ideal PG for Phil Jackson....
cgmw
RealGM
Posts: 16,854
And1: 3,216
Joined: Jul 23, 2003
Location: Winning now since 1973
Contact:
 

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#105 » by cgmw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:15 pm

I'm just here to point out that Westbrook would be the perfect third (and final?) act for Jim Dolan's idiotic reign.

Act I: Zeek & Steph
Act II: Melo & Phil
Act III: Leon & Russ

Epilogue: Poop emoji
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 62,838
And1: 28,892
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#106 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:54 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Let the church say amen


I just think isn't a very good basketball player. He was always this shiny object with these very same questions about him before the draft. I'd rather have Langston Galloway on the Knicks than DSJ.

The guy we really need to get is Bernie.
edit: Sorry, maybe this should be in a differet thread. It's just that every time I see a post from Wingo, I immediately feel compelled to say we really needed Bernie.



Image
Image
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 27,284
And1: 17,907
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#107 » by Fat Kat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:03 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Let the church say amen


I just think isn't a very good basketball player. He was always this shiny object with these very same questions about him before the draft. I'd rather have Langston Galloway on the Knicks than DSJ.

The guy we really need to get is Bernie.
edit: Sorry, maybe this should be in a differet thread. It's just that every time I see a post from Wingo, I immediately feel compelled to say we really needed Bernie.


Image
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 62,838
And1: 28,892
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#108 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:23 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
I just think isn't a very good basketball player. He was always this shiny object with these very same questions about him before the draft. I'd rather have Langston Galloway on the Knicks than DSJ.

The guy we really need to get is Bernie.
edit: Sorry, maybe this should be in a differet thread. It's just that every time I see a post from Wingo, I immediately feel compelled to say we really needed Bernie.


Image


:lol: Bernie loves the bank shot. So do I. #OldSkool

Bernie has great form on his jump shot. Look how high he holds the ball before he shoots. Kinda like Devin Vassell. Looks like a has a good wingspan too, especially for a White dude. :lol:

Image
MadGrinch
Veteran
Posts: 2,854
And1: 388
Joined: Jan 31, 2002
Location: NYC of course

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#109 » by MadGrinch » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:57 pm

moocow007 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Rose rarely defended as well and his assists per game based on the amount of touches he got and minutes played was really subpar.

What Edwards is is a very intelligent and sharp guy. I would strongly suggest that you watch his interview with Mike Schmitz where they spend time breaking down Edwards game. BY FAR, BY FAR Edwards was the smartest and sharpest guy he interviewed. Edwards recognized every play, what he did right and did wrong and what he should have done. Knowledge is half the battle. And the general consensus is that Edwards has the basketball IQ and tools to be a top tier defender. His 5.2rpg as a guard is among the tops in college basketball. Also what most scouts acknowledge is that Edwards also can create shots for others. It's really a matter of him maturing his game. I get the sense that folks are creating opinions of guys based on hype and rumor, and instead should be watching and studying him a little more closely. If I had one choice of one player to take (meaning if I was the GM and I had the 1st overall pick in this draft) I would take Edwards, no question and it wouldn't just be for his offense.

Hampton and Maledon? Neither guy can score and if we are going with the Derrick Rose model as an ideal "Thibs guard" (which, IF anyone is going to assume there even is a "Thibs guard" archetype, it would be Rose) they would be far far removed from what Thibs would want. Hampton is toolsy, that is it. He doesn't use his tools well on either side of the court. He struggles to create his own shot off the dribble and he's inconsistent on the defensive end. I don't see why in any form or fashion Thibs would want a guard like that. I think you may have a misconception of what type of a player is a "Thibs guard". The notion that Thibs only wants defensive players is a false one, not sure why folks keep assuming that. He want's guys that perform real well at the role that he needs them to perform in and for the most part the expectation for his guards has been to be able to carry the load offensively.

Thibs main guard went from Rose to Butler. Both guys can carry the load on the offensive end and both put pressure on opposing defenses to stop and allowed Thibs to control the pace and flow of the game. Thibs even said so himself, the goal on offense is to score in easy shot opportunities. That means you either have a guy that can facilitate easy shot opps for others (which Hampton doesn't do) or that can create easy shot opps for himself (which Hampton also cannot do).

Russell Westbrook would be about as close to a prime Derrick Rose type guy as you can get right now in the NBA that is gettable (which is why I even started this discussion as a "IF the goal is to get a 'Thibs' guard"). Kyrie Irving would be the other (he's obviously not gettable). A guy that can barrel the ball into opposing defenses and create shots, put pressure and allow Thibs to run his defensive schemes to dictate the other end. He didn't win by defense anymore than Phil Jackson won by defense or Chuck Daly won by defense. All those guys won by controlling the tempo and the pace of the entire game to where his team were able to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. And a big part of that was controlling things on the defensive end (by systemic team play) but also on the offensive end (usually led by at least one elite shot creator that you can always rely on to keep opposing teams on their heels).


your whole premise is that Rose is the ideal Thibs point guard despite the fact that even you acknowledge he doesn't really hold up to the principles Thibs espouses

according to what Thibs says he wants , in truth it is probably Chris Paul

its worth noting Thibs played Butler his career high in minutes before he could score , so scoring is probably not as high on his priorities as you are making it just off of facts
You're not really reading what I'm saying and just trying to go on the defensive. You yourself have already changed your mind on what type of PG Thibs is really after. That says something doesn't it?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app


no my point hasn't changed

a "thibs" guard is one who most easily identifiable by the principles he has espoused (making the extra pass , corner 3's, sacrificing on defense , getting to the line , etc)

if you go by that and look to the draft , that is hampton and maledon, you say that can't score so it can't be them , but its really not the point , Thibs for lack of a better phrase wants players who play" the right way"

if you go by who has played for him its kirk and butler

if you go by how he has spoken of players , (a day or so ago he spoke of butler in that way)

if i took a look around the nba to see who that resembles , its chris paul.

you are under the impression its rose , and truthfully i can't understand why , if anything Thibs has to work around Rose's tunnel vision as a point guard and lapses on defense and used him primarily as a scorer and its one of the reasons Derrick failed in a knicks uniform and as a cav, he's getting better at that part of the game now, but its not a strength

he is simply not the kind of player , who makes extra passes or deliberately makes a pass to manipulate an offense even if it doesn't get him an assist but instead a hockey assist, he gets results by attacking and forcing defenses to make his decisions easy, nor is he the type of player who embodies Thib's coaching on defense

there is a reason after the presser when Thibs was talking about what he wanted as the pillars of the team posters quickly thought of Frank and not the most derrick rose-like player on the roster which is dennis smith jr. who is a much better penetrator and scorer generally than ntilikina...its simply not as important as you are making out to be.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 40,125
And1: 28,689
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#110 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:27 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
BKlutch wrote:The guy we really need to get is Bernie.
edit: Sorry, maybe this should be in a differet thread. It's just that every time I see a post from Wingo, I immediately feel compelled to say we really needed Bernie.


Image


:lol: Bernie loves the bank shot. So do I. #OldSkool

Bernie has great form on his jump shot. Look how high he holds the ball before he shoots. Kinda like Devin Vassell. Looks like a has a good wingspan too, especially for a White dude. :lol:



Did you know that every time Bernie scores the net goes "knish"?
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 11,118
And1: 7,246
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#111 » by BKlutch » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:30 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Image


:lol: Bernie loves the bank shot. So do I. #OldSkool

Bernie has great form on his jump shot. Look how high he holds the ball before he shoots. Kinda like Devin Vassell. Looks like a has a good wingspan too, especially for a White dude. :lol:



Did you know that every time Bernie scores the net goes "knish"?

With mustard, or no?
.
.
MKGA Make Knicks Great Again
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 62,838
And1: 28,892
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#112 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:33 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
:lol: Bernie loves the bank shot. So do I. #OldSkool

Bernie has great form on his jump shot. Look how high he holds the ball before he shoots. Kinda like Devin Vassell. Looks like a has a good wingspan too, especially for a White dude. :lol:



Did you know that every time Bernie scores the net goes "knish"?

With mustard, or no?


Spoiler:
If he says “mayonnaise” we ban him.
Image
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 11,118
And1: 7,246
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#113 » by BKlutch » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Did you know that every time Bernie scores the net goes "knish"?

With mustard, or no?


Spoiler:
If he says “mayonnaise” we ban him.

That would be reason to consider dementia.
.
.
MKGA Make Knicks Great Again
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 62,838
And1: 28,892
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#114 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:37 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
BKlutch wrote:With mustard, or no?


Spoiler:
If he says “mayonnaise” we ban him.

That would be reason to consider dementia.


We’d need to send him back to the kibbutz. He can be our Middle East scout too.

Btw, BK, where would you buy your corned beef here in Nassau County?
Image
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 40,125
And1: 28,689
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#115 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:50 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
:lol: Bernie loves the bank shot. So do I. #OldSkool

Bernie has great form on his jump shot. Look how high he holds the ball before he shoots. Kinda like Devin Vassell. Looks like a has a good wingspan too, especially for a White dude. :lol:



Did you know that every time Bernie scores the net goes "knish"?

With mustard, or no?


Yes, with mustard and english
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 11,118
And1: 7,246
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#116 » by BKlutch » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:16 am

Question —how many people would know how to pronunce this: 'Knicks knish".
.
.
MKGA Make Knicks Great Again
User avatar
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,167
And1: 3,709
Joined: May 08, 2002
Location: Optimistic but realistic

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#117 » by aq_ua » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:40 am

BKlutch wrote:Question —how many people would know how to pronunce this: 'Knicks knish".

Both high in calories and full of spiced potatoes. Is there a difference?
User avatar
Hes_On_Fire
Starter
Posts: 2,429
And1: 2,078
Joined: Dec 08, 2018

Russell Westbrook 

Post#118 » by Hes_On_Fire » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm

The New York Knicks could be interested in a potential trade for Russell Westbrook this offseason if he becomes available, according to some agents who spoke with Ian Begley of SNY.tv.

Westbrook viewed New York as a welcome landing spot in 2019 when the Oklahoma City Thunder pursued a trade of him.

Westbrook has three seasons and $132 million remaining on his contract with the Houston Rockets.


https://www.sny.tv/articles/nba-teams-hearing-knicks-had-been-looking-to-trade-up-in-draft-for-top-pick

Thoughts?
New York Knicks franchise record since James L Dolan assumed full ownership:

609-877
User avatar
BKlutch
RealGM
Posts: 11,118
And1: 7,246
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Russell Westbrook 

Post#119 » by BKlutch » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:47 pm

No thoughts whatsoever.

I can't even think of giving Westbrook that much money for 3 years to do what he does.
.
.
MKGA Make Knicks Great Again
User avatar
Hes_On_Fire
Starter
Posts: 2,429
And1: 2,078
Joined: Dec 08, 2018

Re: Russell Westbrook 

Post#120 » by Hes_On_Fire » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:49 pm

BKlutch wrote:No thoughts whatsoever.

I can't even think of giving Westbrook that much money for 3 years to do what he does.


It would be a very typical Knicks nonsense move likely forced on by James Dolan.
New York Knicks franchise record since James L Dolan assumed full ownership:

609-877

Return to New York Knicks