ImageImageImageImage

Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now?

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 28,615
And1: 4,748
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#21 » by drsd » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:48 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I reject the initial assumption.

We must tank. I will not explore any other option.




Image
Vavol6
Ballboy
Posts: 4
And1: 8
Joined: Jan 07, 2021
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#22 » by Vavol6 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:59 pm

You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 25,906
And1: 13,665
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#23 » by thelead » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:02 pm

drsd wrote:
thelead wrote:We won’t have to try to tank. We are now a legit bottom 8 team.


Orlando is still probably going to be a 10-seed. If the goal is to miss the playoffs, pro-tank trades are probably required. That means Gordon and Fournier for "assets"; these sorts of trades.

Personally I am kind of coming around to the idea of the Magic trading for Elfrid Payton. He is better than many of the other names being batted around, the Knicks has way to many PGs, and New York needs a PF. The Magic has one to trade: any/all of Clark, Ennis, and my dream, Mr. Aminu.

If an Aminu for Payton trade can be worked out, this team could still be the 8-seed.


..


Assuming they stay completely healthy the rest of they year, I guess they still have a shot at the 10th seed but I'm sure Evan, Ross, AG, and/or Vuc will miss at least 5-10 games with a minor injury. Things are not looking good.
Image
User avatar
MagicMatic
Head Coach
Posts: 6,912
And1: 6,803
Joined: May 30, 2016
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#24 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:11 pm

They have to tank. There is no other option.

You want a plan otherwise? Trade Vuc, Fournier, and AG for future assets. They’re never winning anything here anyway.

Those are the only options.
ucfmay2000
Sophomore
Posts: 192
And1: 18
Joined: May 31, 2010

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#25 » by ucfmay2000 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:37 pm

Vavol6 wrote:You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.

Totally agree. I really like his game. His shoot is one of the best on the team.
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 13,015
And1: 10,497
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#26 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:39 pm

Vavol6 wrote:You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.


Bone, is that you? Can you send us some money? We promise, we will promote living life out of you on internet :lol:
"A straight path never leads anywhere except to the objective."
Andre Gide
Vavol6
Ballboy
Posts: 4
And1: 8
Joined: Jan 07, 2021
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#27 » by Vavol6 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:54 pm

I admittingly don't follow the Magic, though I will now because I'm a Tennessee Vol/Jordan Bone fan.

But I fail to see why you would want to tank 8 games in the season with a 6-2 record. You didn't have Isaac at all this season, and only lost Fultz for the rest of the year.

And with that said I really don't think it will be a tall order for Anthony and Bone to fill in for Fultz. Bone is a better 3 point shooter, has speed, probably a better ball handler, and can average 5+ assists if given the opportunity. He will give you most everything Fultz does, except the electrifying dunks and maybe less heigh

At the worst, you see what you have for the next few games and get a sense if you will be able to compete the same.
p0peye
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,772
And1: 1,860
Joined: Feb 27, 2006
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#28 » by p0peye » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:57 pm

We don't need to tank, we're bound to be bad enough to warrant nice chance at top picks. Lottery percentages have been changed this season, you can play on Tankathon site simulating lottery and see what it turns out, pretty wild.

Acquiring young players and picks would be nice, if we can get something of value for Evan's expiring contract or AG once Aminu or Okeke are back.
Badass of the week: Milunka Savic
Single most-decorated female soldier in world military history.
Vavol6
Ballboy
Posts: 4
And1: 8
Joined: Jan 07, 2021
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#29 » by Vavol6 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:58 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Vavol6 wrote:You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.


Bone, is that you? Can you send us some money? We promise, we will promote living life out of you on internet :lol:


Get ready to have more Tennessee fans come in! We are passionate about our players and have been waiting for Bone to get a true opportunity.

He played with one of Tennessee's most beloved teams in 2018 with Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield, two other draft picks. Many fans thought Bone always had the highest NBA ceiling and needed another year under Barnes to fully flourish. He went into the draft a year early, but this would have been his true rookie year had he stayed.
jonbob17
Junior
Posts: 391
And1: 187
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#30 » by jonbob17 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:04 pm

Vavol6 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Vavol6 wrote:You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.


Bone, is that you? Can you send us some money? We promise, we will promote living life out of you on internet :lol:


Get ready to have more Tennessee fans come in! We are passionate about our players and have been waiting for Bone to get a true opportunity.

He played with one of Tennessee's most beloved teams in 2018 with Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield, two other draft picks. Many fans thought Bone always had the highest NBA ceiling and needed another year under Barnes to fully flourish. He went into the draft a year early, but this would have been his true rookie year had he stayed.


Bone was my favorite pick up by the Magic this offseason. Looking forward to him getting some minutes and showing his craft.
JBSouthpaw
Starter
Posts: 2,082
And1: 738
Joined: Mar 01, 2011

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#31 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:06 pm

Vavol6 wrote:I admittingly don't follow the Magic, though I will now because I'm a Tennessee Vol/Jordan Bone fan.

But I fail to see why you would want to tank 8 games in the season with a 6-2 record. You didn't have Isaac at all this season, and only lost Fultz for the rest of the year.

And with that said I really don't think it will be a tall order for Anthony and Bone to fill in for Fultz. Bone is a better 3 point shooter, has speed, probably a better ball handler, and can average 5+ assists if given the opportunity. He will give you most everything Fultz does, except the electrifying dunks and maybe less heigh

At the worst, you see what you have for the next few games and get a sense if you will be able to compete the same.


Many years of the same core, Vuc, AG and Evan.
-Evan is an unrestricted FA after this year, do we let him go for nothing just to make the 1st round of playoffs?? Maybe?
-Our best chance at an all-star is out (J.I.) and now Fultz.
-AG has never developed any seriousness to cashing in on his physical gifts. LOTS of mid range jumpers that he isn't good at.
-2021 draft is pretty good.
-up against the Lux tax for with no purpose

Hoping what Bone showed last night is his real game.
zaymon
Veteran
Posts: 2,666
And1: 1,447
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
   

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#32 » by zaymon » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:10 pm

I liked Bone last year, he could be a solid backup. I know the trauma is fresh but i dont expect drop off without Fultz. He was in a major shooting slump and his defense was very bad this year. Right know we are mostly tough veteran team, i cant see us tanking unless we trade 3/4 of our roster.

Given our lineups i think the most sense make:
Anthony/Fournier/Ennis/Gordon/Vucevic
MCW/Ross/Bacon/Clark/Birch

The most balance between scoring, playmaking and defense.
Bold Predictions:
1. Deandre Ayton biggest disappointment of 2018 draft.
2. Nick Nurse becomes Orlando Magic Head Coach. (15.04.2018)
User avatar
RookieStar
General Manager
Posts: 9,404
And1: 1,804
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#33 » by RookieStar » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:38 pm

Who needs to tank? As usual we will grind it out and do our very best. Unless AG blossoms out into that superstar we dream about or Evan goes full on contract-year mode we will lose a lot of games we will be trying to win. Sure it won't be blatant but I expect to be in the lotto say.. 8th worse record in the league?

With the new draft rules everyone aside from the #1 has a good and equal chance getting into the top 3 spot right?
User avatar
MoMM
General Manager
Posts: 9,205
And1: 1,154
Joined: Jan 08, 2002
Location: Brazilian living in Berlin
Contact:
       

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#34 » by MoMM » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:41 pm

drsd wrote:
thelead wrote:We won’t have to try to tank. We are now a legit bottom 8 team.


Orlando is still probably going to be a 10-seed. If the goal is to miss the playoffs, pro-tank trades are probably required. That means Gordon and Fournier for "assets"; these sorts of trades.

Personally I am kind of coming around to the idea of the Magic trading for Elfrid Payton. He is better than many of the other names being batted around, the Knicks has way to many PGs, and New York needs a PF. The Magic has one to trade: any/all of Clark, Ennis, and my dream, Mr. Aminu.

If an Aminu for Payton trade can be worked out, this team could still be the 8-seed.


..

And if we don't make the playoffs, at least we will have Payton in triple-double mode by the end of the season. That would be fun.
User avatar
MagicMatic
Head Coach
Posts: 6,912
And1: 6,803
Joined: May 30, 2016
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#35 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:46 pm

For those of you saying “Orlando doesn’t need to tank” are underestimating Clifford’s ability to squeeze buddy ball wins out regardless of how boring and inconsequential it will be.

Lottery draft position is the only thing that matters this season. It was true before these injuries and true now. When Isaac went down this season was over.
User avatar
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 12,805
And1: 549
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
Location: Retire #25!
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#36 » by TheGlyde » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:50 pm

If you really want to try and hold onto the rope; Aminu and a future first for a 1 year rental of Derrick Rose.

But even I’m tempted to just start giving Bamba, Cole and Okeke big minutes to see what they have.
Orlando Magic Historian
Rainwater
Analyst
Posts: 3,473
And1: 1,970
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#37 » by Rainwater » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:51 pm

zaymon wrote:We will be competetive as long as Vucevic and Ross are playing. Fultz injury is a big loss for our future, but i dont think its such a huge loss for the present. His lack of shooting was really hurting us. Maybe we could sign Napier if we want some more shooting ?


Pretty much
JBSouthpaw
Starter
Posts: 2,082
And1: 738
Joined: Mar 01, 2011

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#38 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:09 pm

TheGlyde wrote:If you really want to try and hold onto the rope; Aminu and a future first for a 1 year rental of Derrick Rose.

But even I’m tempted to just start giving Bamba, Cole and Okeke big minutes to see what they have.


a 2nd Rnd pick, but no 1st for Rose on his contract year.

One of the reasons I was shopping Birch was to give Bamba no excuses for back up minutes. Birch is a FA after this year, and he is playing well enough for a raise.
User avatar
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 12,805
And1: 549
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
Location: Retire #25!
 

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#39 » by TheGlyde » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:36 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:If you really want to try and hold onto the rope; Aminu and a future first for a 1 year rental of Derrick Rose.

But even I’m tempted to just start giving Bamba, Cole and Okeke big minutes to see what they have.


a 2nd Rnd pick, but no 1st for Rose on his contract year.

One of the reasons I was shopping Birch was to give Bamba no excuses for back up minutes. Birch is a FA after this year, and he is playing well enough for a raise.


Well yeah its a contract year for Rose, but you have to offset the fact that Aminu has been out over a year and hasnt played well since Portland. Having the one year rental is actually beneficial so he doesnt get in Markelle’s way next year.

Can negotiate over protections

I love the Birch Tree, but I agree selling while his value is high could be good. But man we would miss his screens and toughness I think.
Orlando Magic Historian
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,675
And1: 9,263
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
     

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#40 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:50 pm

If the goal is to remain competitive, I'd still try to balance that by adding a young prospect as the replacement PG in the hopes of finding a diamond in the rough and to help subtly take the heat out of our competitiveness.

Kira, Flynn, Pritchard, Riller - I'd take an affordable flyer on one of these guys for a lottery protected future 1st.

Any potential Harden deal will be a chance to use one of our bigger pieces (Fournier) to try land one or more substantial trade pieces depending on the pieces being moved around.

Failing that, I'd reunite Lin and Clifford for a cheap stabilising veteran.

Return to Orlando Magic