ImageImageImageImage

Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#21 » by drsd » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:48 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I reject the initial assumption.

We must tank. I will not explore any other option.

Vavol6
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#22 » by Vavol6 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:59 pm

You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,204

Post#23 » by thelead » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:02 pm

drsd wrote:
thelead wrote:We won’t have to try to tank. We are now a legit bottom 8 team.

Orlando is still probably going to be a 10-seed. If the goal is to miss the playoffs, pro-tank trades are probably required. That means Gordon and Fournier for "assets"; these sorts of trades.

Personally I am kind of coming around to the idea of the Magic trading for Elfrid Payton. He is better than many of the other names being batted around, the Knicks has way to many PGs, and New York needs a PF. The Magic has one to trade: any/all of Clark, Ennis, and my dream, Mr. Aminu.

If an Aminu for Payton trade can be worked out, this team could still be the 8-seed.

Assuming they stay completely healthy the rest of they year, I guess they still have a shot at the 10th seed but I'm sure Evan, Ross, AG, and/or Vuc will miss at least 5-10 games with a minor injury. Things are not looking good.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#24 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:11 pm

They have to tank. There is no other option.

You want a plan otherwise? Trade Vuc, Fournier, and AG for future assets. They’re never winning anything here anyway.

Those are the only options.
ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 49

Post#25 » by ucfmay2000 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:37 pm

Vavol6 wrote:You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.

Totally agree. I really like his game. His shoot is one of the best on the team.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#26 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:39 pm

Vavol6 wrote:You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.

Bone, is that you? Can you send us some money? We promise, we will promote living life out of you on internet :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Vavol6
Ballboy

Post#27 » by Vavol6 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:54 pm

I admittingly don't follow the Magic, though I will now because I'm a Tennessee Vol/Jordan Bone fan.

But I fail to see why you would want to tank 8 games in the season with a 6-2 record. You didn't have Isaac at all this season, and only lost Fultz for the rest of the year.

And with that said I really don't think it will be a tall order for Anthony and Bone to fill in for Fultz. Bone is a better 3 point shooter, has speed, probably a better ball handler, and can average 5+ assists if given the opportunity. He will give you most everything Fultz does, except the electrifying dunks and maybe less heigh

At the worst, you see what you have for the next few games and get a sense if you will be able to compete the same.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#28 » by p0peye » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:57 pm

We don't need to tank, we're bound to be bad enough to warrant nice chance at top picks. Lottery percentages have been changed this season, you can play on Tankathon site simulating lottery and see what it turns out, pretty wild.

Acquiring young players and picks would be nice, if we can get something of value for Evan's expiring contract or AG once Aminu or Okeke are back.
Vavol6
Ballboy

Post#29 » by Vavol6 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 7:58 pm

pepe1991 wrote:

Bone, is that you? Can you send us some money? We promise, we will promote living life out of you on internet :lol:

Get ready to have more Tennessee fans come in! We are passionate about our players and have been waiting for Bone to get a true opportunity.

He played with one of Tennessee's most beloved teams in 2018 with Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield, two other draft picks. Many fans thought Bone always had the highest NBA ceiling and needed another year under Barnes to fully flourish. He went into the draft a year early, but this would have been his true rookie year had he stayed.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#30 » by jonbob17 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:04 pm

Vavol6 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Get ready to have more Tennessee fans come in! We are passionate about our players and have been waiting for Bone to get a true opportunity.

He played with one of Tennessee's most beloved teams in 2018 with Grant Williams and Admiral Schofield, two other draft picks. Many fans thought Bone always had the highest NBA ceiling and needed another year under Barnes to fully flourish. He went into the draft a year early, but this would have been his true rookie year had he stayed.

Bone was my favorite pick up by the Magic this offseason. Looking forward to him getting some minutes and showing his craft.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#31 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:06 pm

Vavol6 wrote:I admittingly don't follow the Magic, though I will now because I'm a Tennessee Vol/Jordan Bone fan.

But I fail to see why you would want to tank 8 games in the season with a 6-2 record. You didn't have Isaac at all this season, and only lost Fultz for the rest of the year.

And with that said I really don't think it will be a tall order for Anthony and Bone to fill in for Fultz. Bone is a better 3 point shooter, has speed, probably a better ball handler, and can average 5+ assists if given the opportunity. He will give you most everything Fultz does, except the electrifying dunks and maybe less heigh

At the worst, you see what you have for the next few games and get a sense if you will be able to compete the same.

Many years of the same core, Vuc, AG and Evan.
-Evan is an unrestricted FA after this year, do we let him go for nothing just to make the 1st round of playoffs?? Maybe?
-Our best chance at an all-star is out (J.I.) and now Fultz.
-AG has never developed any seriousness to cashing in on his physical gifts. LOTS of mid range jumpers that he isn't good at.
-2021 draft is pretty good.
-up against the Lux tax for with no purpose

Hoping what Bone showed last night is his real game.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#32 » by zaymon » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:10 pm

I liked Bone last year, he could be a solid backup. I know the trauma is fresh but i dont expect drop off without Fultz. He was in a major shooting slump and his defense was very bad this year. Right know we are mostly tough veteran team, i cant see us tanking unless we trade 3/4 of our roster.

Given our lineups i think the most sense make:
Anthony/Fournier/Ennis/Gordon/Vucevic
MCW/Ross/Bacon/Clark/Birch

The most balance between scoring, playmaking and defense.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#33 » by RookieStar » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:38 pm

Who needs to tank? As usual we will grind it out and do our very best. Unless AG blossoms out into that superstar we dream about or Evan goes full on contract-year mode we will lose a lot of games we will be trying to win. Sure it won't be blatant but I expect to be in the lotto say.. 8th worse record in the league?

With the new draft rules everyone aside from the #1 has a good and equal chance getting into the top 3 spot right?
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#34 » by MoMM » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:41 pm

drsd wrote:
thelead wrote:We won’t have to try to tank. We are now a legit bottom 8 team.

Orlando is still probably going to be a 10-seed. If the goal is to miss the playoffs, pro-tank trades are probably required. That means Gordon and Fournier for "assets"; these sorts of trades.

Personally I am kind of coming around to the idea of the Magic trading for Elfrid Payton. He is better than many of the other names being batted around, the Knicks has way to many PGs, and New York needs a PF. The Magic has one to trade: any/all of Clark, Ennis, and my dream, Mr. Aminu.

If an Aminu for Payton trade can be worked out, this team could still be the 8-seed.

And if we don't make the playoffs, at least we will have Payton in triple-double mode by the end of the season. That would be fun.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#35 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:46 pm

For those of you saying “Orlando doesn’t need to tank” are underestimating Clifford’s ability to squeeze buddy ball wins out regardless of how boring and inconsequential it will be.

Lottery draft position is the only thing that matters this season. It was true before these injuries and true now. When Isaac went down this season was over.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#36 » by TheGlyde » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:50 pm

If you really want to try and hold onto the rope; Aminu and a future first for a 1 year rental of Derrick Rose.

But even I’m tempted to just start giving Bamba, Cole and Okeke big minutes to see what they have.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,408

Post#37 » by Rainwater » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:51 pm

zaymon wrote:We will be competetive as long as Vucevic and Ross are playing. Fultz injury is a big loss for our future, but i dont think its such a huge loss for the present. His lack of shooting was really hurting us. Maybe we could sign Napier if we want some more shooting ?

Pretty much
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#38 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:09 pm

TheGlyde wrote:If you really want to try and hold onto the rope; Aminu and a future first for a 1 year rental of Derrick Rose.

But even I’m tempted to just start giving Bamba, Cole and Okeke big minutes to see what they have.

a 2nd Rnd pick, but no 1st for Rose on his contract year.

One of the reasons I was shopping Birch was to give Bamba no excuses for back up minutes. Birch is a FA after this year, and he is playing well enough for a raise.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#39 » by TheGlyde » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:36 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:If you really want to try and hold onto the rope; Aminu and a future first for a 1 year rental of Derrick Rose.

a 2nd Rnd pick, but no 1st for Rose on his contract year.

One of the reasons I was shopping Birch was to give Bamba no excuses for back up minutes. Birch is a FA after this year, and he is playing well enough for a raise.

Well yeah its a contract year for Rose, but you have to offset the fact that Aminu has been out over a year and hasnt played well since Portland. Having the one year rental is actually beneficial so he doesnt get in Markelle’s way next year.

Can negotiate over protections

I love the Birch Tree, but I agree selling while his value is high could be good. But man we would miss his screens and toughness I think.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#40 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:50 pm

If the goal is to remain competitive, I'd still try to balance that by adding a young prospect as the replacement PG in the hopes of finding a diamond in the rough and to help subtly take the heat out of our competitiveness.

Kira, Flynn, Pritchard, Riller - I'd take an affordable flyer on one of these guys for a lottery protected future 1st.

Any potential Harden deal will be a chance to use one of our bigger pieces (Fournier) to try land one or more substantial trade pieces depending on the pieces being moved around.

Failing that, I'd reunite Lin and Clifford for a cheap stabilising veteran.

Return to Orlando Magic