ImageImageImageImage

Race for Ping Pong Balls

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 13,495
And1: 5,508
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#921 » by basketballRob » Tue May 4, 2021 12:01 pm

We can still lose out and the 3rd worst odds. Cleveland has a really tough schedule, but they occasionally play well. OKC plays the Kings 3 times and they'll likely be without Fox and Haliburton. We play Minnesota still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,152
And1: 11,629
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#922 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:02 pm

basketballRob wrote:We can still lose out and the 3rd worst odds. Cleveland has a really tough schedule, but they occasionally play well. OKC plays the Kings 3 times and they'll likely be without Fox and Haliburton. We play Minnesota still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


Kings beat Lakers and Dallas in last 2 games, they play OKC 3 times, Memphis twice, Spurs and Indiana. They can very easly make playin tournament. They just need position themselfs to be within striking reach of Memphis- their last two games. No reasons to lose whatsoever
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 13,495
And1: 5,508
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#923 » by basketballRob » Tue May 4, 2021 2:05 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:We can still lose out and the 3rd worst odds. Cleveland has a really tough schedule, but they occasionally play well. OKC plays the Kings 3 times and they'll likely be without Fox and Haliburton. We play Minnesota still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


Kings beat Lakers and Dallas in last 2 games, they play OKC 3 times, Memphis twice, Spurs and Indiana. They can very easly make playin tournament. They just need position themselfs to be within striking reach of Memphis- their last two games. No reasons to lose whatsoever
They are 4 games out of the play in spot and they probably just lost Haliburton for the season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,152
And1: 11,629
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#924 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:11 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:We can still lose out and the 3rd worst odds. Cleveland has a really tough schedule, but they occasionally play well. OKC plays the Kings 3 times and they'll likely be without Fox and Haliburton. We play Minnesota still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


Kings beat Lakers and Dallas in last 2 games, they play OKC 3 times, Memphis twice, Spurs and Indiana. They can very easly make playin tournament. They just need position themselfs to be within striking reach of Memphis- their last two games. No reasons to lose whatsoever
They are 4 games out of the play in spot and they probably just lost Haliburton for the season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


Marvin Bagley, Buddy Hield, Harkless , Delon Wright and Holmes are probably more than enough to beat anything OKC can put on the floor. Especially because one team is close to playin tournament and other has no internall nor external motivation to win. Most of OKC players that are in active roster are actually under contracts next year.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 13,495
And1: 5,508
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#925 » by basketballRob » Tue May 4, 2021 2:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Kings beat Lakers and Dallas in last 2 games, they play OKC 3 times, Memphis twice, Spurs and Indiana. They can very easly make playin tournament. They just need position themselfs to be within striking reach of Memphis- their last two games. No reasons to lose whatsoever
They are 4 games out of the play in spot and they probably just lost Haliburton for the season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


Marvin Bagley, Buddy Hield, Harkless , Delon Wright and Holmes are probably more than enough to beat anything OKC can put on the floor. Especially because one team is close to playin tournament and other has no internall nor external motivation to win. Most of OKC players that are in active roster are actually under contracts next year.
Well hopefully okc can pull out a win somehow. I could see the Kings giving some young guys a look and possibly resting some of the other players.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,189
And1: 7,683
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#926 » by Skin » Tue May 4, 2021 4:19 pm

So I guess picking 6th is the Magic's fate. Typical meaningless wins screwing us over once again. Nothing learned. Nothing changed.
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
User avatar
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 24,717
And1: 13,390
Joined: Aug 04, 2008
Location: Thanks Denver!
Contact:
     

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#927 » by Def Swami » Tue May 4, 2021 5:43 pm

Honestly, I'm more upset at Memphis. Memphis actually needed that game and they laid a huge egg. I hope they lose the play in games and are sitting at home.
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,189
And1: 7,683
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#928 » by Skin » Tue May 4, 2021 5:55 pm

Def Swami wrote:Honestly, I'm more upset at Memphis. Memphis actually needed that game and they laid a huge egg. I hope they lose the play in games and are sitting at home.

They lost to the Magic. That's pathetic. They deserve to miss the playoffs and I hope they do too.
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
basketballRob
RealGM
Posts: 13,495
And1: 5,508
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#929 » by basketballRob » Tue May 4, 2021 6:03 pm

Def Swami wrote:Honestly, I'm more upset at Memphis. Memphis actually needed that game and they laid a huge egg. I hope they lose the play in games and are sitting at home.
Morant choked that game. They had the ball in a tied game with like 39 seconds, instead of getting a 2 for 1, he slowed it down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,373
And1: 12,132
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#930 » by Knightro » Tue May 4, 2021 7:03 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Kings beat Lakers and Dallas in last 2 games, they play OKC 3 times, Memphis twice, Spurs and Indiana. They can very easly make playin tournament. They just need position themselfs to be within striking reach of Memphis- their last two games. No reasons to lose whatsoever


The Kings are 5 back of Memphis with 8 to play. They're 4 back of San Antonio.

It would take a monumental collapse by one of those two plus the Pelicans not playing well since they're also ahead of the Kings PLUS the Kings winning klike 7 of the last 8 or all 8 for Sacramento to get in.

Doesn't seem too likely.
pepe1991
RealGM
Posts: 14,152
And1: 11,629
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
   

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#931 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:34 pm

Knightro wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:


The Kings are 5 back of Memphis with 8 to play. They're 4 back of San Antonio.

It would take a monumental collapse by one of those two plus the Pelicans not playing well since they're also ahead of the Kings PLUS the Kings winning klike 7 of the last 8 or all 8 for Sacramento to get in.

Doesn't seem too likely.


Spurs rest of schedule
Utah
Sacramento
Portland
Bucks
Brooklyn Knicks

They are on 4 games losing streak, by the time they play Kings, they will be on 5 games losing streak, after that it's slippery slope where they are not favorites to win any of remaining games. And their bonus games are against Suns.

Kings have outside shot at playoffs but still have a chance, especially knowing that if they beat OKC tonight (and they should) they will be on nice streak winning 6 of last 9 games and 3 games away from playin tournament. For team that didn't make playoffs since 2005 it's a great opportunity
Btw Fox isn't hurt, he is in COVID protocol, but should be back within few days.
Prediction day after Vuc, Gordon, Evan departure - most fans who are celebrating birth of new rebuild will be crying how rebuild is painful before 2022-23 season ends.
Date of writeup: March 26th, 2021.
User avatar
D J C
Senior
Posts: 647
And1: 313
Joined: Feb 27, 2007

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#932 » by D J C » Tue May 4, 2021 8:02 pm

There's really people that aren't excited for the Bulls pick? Literally every year dating back to 2003, nearly 20 years now, there's been an all star caliber player taken between picks 7 and 13. We'll have our choice of that range of prospects, and after seeing Chuma and Cole develop so quickly I'm liking our chances better at picking the right one.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,237
And1: 2,455
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#933 » by RookieStar » Tue May 4, 2021 8:08 pm

D J C wrote:There's really people that aren't excited for the Bulls pick? Literally every year dating back to 2003, nearly 20 years now, there's been an all star caliber player taken between picks 7 and 13. We'll have our choice of that range of prospects, and after seeing Chuma and Cole develop so quickly I'm liking our chances better at picking the right one.


Not really excite but more of scared. With our recent run of bad lucks lately, we are more scared of CHI getting a top4 pick this year rather than excited they get to pick 5-10..
User avatar
Message Boar
Senior
Posts: 559
And1: 514
Joined: Apr 07, 2019
Location: The Netherlands
       

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#934 » by Message Boar » Tue May 4, 2021 8:44 pm

I'm very excited about the bulls pick; just worried it won't convey this year and then next year all of a sudden they're way better

The depth in this draft feels pretty decent, too.
User avatar
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 24,717
And1: 13,390
Joined: Aug 04, 2008
Location: Thanks Denver!
Contact:
     

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#935 » by Def Swami » Tue May 4, 2021 9:04 pm

D J C wrote:There's really people that aren't excited for the Bulls pick? Literally every year dating back to 2003, nearly 20 years now, there's been an all star caliber player taken between picks 7 and 13. We'll have our choice of that range of prospects, and after seeing Chuma and Cole develop so quickly I'm liking our chances better at picking the right one.

I think of it like this as well. You're right. There's always a player drafted in the back of the lottery that is way better than everyone predicted. If the Magic miss on the top 4 and the Bulls pick conveys, they'll get two cracks at it. At some point the front office has to just make it happen. They did a good job accumulating trade assets at the deadline. Now they just have to execute and find the talent.
jvdas
Ballboy
Posts: 22
And1: 19
Joined: Feb 07, 2021
Location: Germany
       

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#936 » by jvdas » Tue May 4, 2021 10:02 pm

D J C wrote:There's really people that aren't excited for the Bulls pick? Literally every year dating back to 2003, nearly 20 years now, there's been an all star caliber player taken between picks 7 and 13. We'll have our choice of that range of prospects, and after seeing Chuma and Cole develop so quickly I'm liking our chances better at picking the right one.


The purest Magic thing to happen right now would be that the Bulls get a top 4 pick, while we're dropping to 8. At this point I'm more afraid of the lottery outcome than excited.

But if the luck is on our side for once, then for sure this is a sweet pick which I'm absolutely excited for.
Skin
RealGM
Posts: 16,189
And1: 7,683
Joined: Jul 03, 2009
   

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#937 » by Skin » Tue May 4, 2021 10:09 pm

I'm VERY EXCITED about the Bulls pick! We get to include that, plus 2 future 1sts to move up into the Top 5 this year!
Markelle Fultz, Jalen Green, Chuma Okeke, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr.
Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Corey Kispert, Mo Bamba. LET'S GO!
mattyBoi
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,601
And1: 706
Joined: Dec 18, 2007
Location: The Truth

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#938 » by mattyBoi » Wed May 5, 2021 2:40 am

6th slot during a lost season where we traded the team away and for a team that hasn't had a superstar player in 10 years. Sure luck can save us but this is brutal.
User avatar
KillMonger
RealGM
Posts: 12,143
And1: 5,861
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#939 » by KillMonger » Wed May 5, 2021 3:41 am

jvdas wrote:
D J C wrote:There's really people that aren't excited for the Bulls pick? Literally every year dating back to 2003, nearly 20 years now, there's been an all star caliber player taken between picks 7 and 13. We'll have our choice of that range of prospects, and after seeing Chuma and Cole develop so quickly I'm liking our chances better at picking the right one.


The purest Magic thing to happen right now would be that the Bulls get a top 4 pick, while we're dropping to 8. At this point I'm more afraid of the lottery outcome than excited.

But if the luck is on our side for once, then for sure this is a sweet pick which I'm absolutely excited for.

Trading out of the top 5? Which team would? The drop off after the top 5 is pretty significant.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Image

FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX ....... FREE MO BAMBA......R.I.P DMX
nicnac215
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,477
And1: 407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
Location: Southern California

Re: Race for Ping Pong Balls 

Post#940 » by nicnac215 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:50 am

mattyBoi wrote:6th slot during a lost season where we traded the team away and for a team that hasn't had a superstar player in 10 years. Sure luck can save us but this is brutal.

We trade the 6th pick+Chi future 1st+Den future 1st+2021 1st top 4 protected for the guy we want.

Return to Orlando Magic