ImageImageImageImage

Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins)

Moderators: Howard Mass, UCF, ChosenSavior, Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, UCFJayBird

The Real Dalic
RealGM
Posts: 16,364
And1: 5,746
Joined: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
         

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#21 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:39 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter


Speaking of one of the young players.

He never gets credit and is always crapped on it seems. But he has been improving all year.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
User avatar
MagicMatic
Head Coach
Posts: 7,357
And1: 7,370
Joined: May 30, 2016
 

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#22 » by MagicMatic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:49 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter


Speaking of one of the young players.

He never gets credit and is always crapped on it seems. But he has been improving all year.


You definitely can’t down him for being all-in on the team. That alone make me glad he’s on the Magic.
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,237
And1: 2,455
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#23 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter


Speaking of one of the young players.


I kept saying I preferred RJ over Cole if we weren't moving up. I'm glad I was wrong. Cole is doing everything I expected of RJ (scorer) and then some.
User avatar
Max Power
Head Coach
Posts: 6,457
And1: 950
Joined: Nov 30, 2001
Location: Orlando

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#24 » by Max Power » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:31 pm

To me, obviously it’s still about JI, and Fultz until we add whoever from the draft. Most of this group is filler until a better talent becomes available at their spot. Here’s hoping JI and Fultz’s bodies stop betraying them because they both have the talent. As far as talent beyond them, it’s really Chuma we have to look at.The trades did wonders giving him an opportunity. Cole plays with a fire in gut which this team needed for years, his game drives me nuts though. He needs to quit thinking he’s Allen Iverson and make some plays for the other guys.

Carter is solid but nothing more. But that’s ok. Not everyone can be what Vucevic. He’s a secure piece. Bamba really needs to be our focus as far as developing a big.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
User avatar
MagicFan101
RealGM
Posts: 10,131
And1: 5,816
Joined: Jul 04, 2012
 

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#25 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm

All I take from this is that if we miss on this draft class we are in for a very tough rebuild.

If we strike gold (where gold = super star) then we have some very good building blocks to support said super star and have a chance to build out.

This draft is critical because next year isn’t so special.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 24,204
And1: 9,855
Joined: Apr 10, 2001
     

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#26 » by Bensational » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter


Speaking of one of the young players.

He never gets credit and is always crapped on it seems. But he has been improving all year.


You definitely can’t down him for being all-in on the team. That alone make me glad he’s on the Magic.


I think he’s a good character and presence at this stage of the rebuild, especially if the coaches can get him to reign in his shooting in favour of more playmaking.

Energy, attitude and fearlessness, ideally off the bench. He could be a Jameer X DJ kind of presence and impact on the team.

Will be interesting to see how Fultz responds to serious competition from another young guard hungry to cement a spot. I think Fultz will come in and defer to Cole.
Rainwater
Analyst
Posts: 3,739
And1: 2,189
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#27 » by Rainwater » Sat May 1, 2021 2:27 am

While he would be a great role player I don't get the Fultz love. he would be 5th on my list behind JI, Okeke, WCJ and Mo.
User avatar
Last Guardian
RealGM
Posts: 23,178
And1: 2,487
Joined: Feb 22, 2004
Location: New Jersey
 

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#28 » by Last Guardian » Sat May 1, 2021 2:59 pm

While none of them project to be star players, there is something to like about all of them

1. Isaac. Fairly easy choice, he wreaks havoc on the defensive end whether he's defending the rim or deflecting passes or challenging 3's. He's also not as bad offensively as people say he is. He's fairly smart, shooting is not great but not horrible. Overall a really positive impact player when healthy.

2. Fultz. He's the most talented. I was always impressed with how he sees the floor and his great ballhandling skills. While he does suck as a shooter, he's pretty good at overpowering his way to the basket and finishing with efficiency. Upcoming rookie could make him expendable though, but thats a problem for another day.

3. Chuma. He does some rookie things but his IQ is fantastic usually. Makes a lot of good, smart decisions and he projects as a good offensive player and a solid defender.

4. WCJ. Not great height for a C but he's very strong and has a great wingspan. He's got a decent IQ, his post defense is fantastic and his rim protection isn't horrible. He's mainly a paint player which is nice but he can step out and hit jumpers. Very solid player.

5. Bamba. He's soft but the more I watch him the more its clear he will be a + offensive player. He's a good shooter, probably shouldn't leave him open and he's got some OK finishing around the basket. If he wasn't soft he'd be #2 on this list honestly.

6. Cole. He's developed since the start of the season. He picks his spots better and he doesn't force things. He's energetic and competitive. I like him but probably is a scoring PG off the bench, but we'll see.

7. RJ. He's definitely rough but he makes enough good plays. He does get to the basket and dish it out to open players. He has a scorers mentality but he's not blind like Bacon or Ross (but not nearly as good at making shots as them either). If he just learned a little from Cole and picked his spots better he could end up a good guard off the bench.
User avatar
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 10,373
And1: 12,133
Joined: Dec 18, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
 

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#29 » by Knightro » Today 4:23 am

Bumping this after the final three weeks. I suspect the rankings for a lot of people, myself included, will have changed. The Magic have 10 players age 24 or under.

Here's how I'd rank them.

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Chuma Okeke
3. RJ Hampton
4. Wendell Carter Jr.
5. Mo Bamba
6. Cole Anthony
7. Markelle Fultz
8. Ignas Brazdeikis
9. Donta Hall
10. Mortiz Wagner
User avatar
MagicMatic
Head Coach
Posts: 7,357
And1: 7,370
Joined: May 30, 2016
 

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#30 » by MagicMatic » Today 5:05 am

Knightro wrote:Bumping this after the final three weeks. I suspect the rankings for a lot of people, myself included, will have changed. The Magic have 10 players age 24 or under.

Here's how I'd rank them.

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Chuma Okeke
3. RJ Hampton
4. Wendell Carter Jr.
5. Mo Bamba
6. Cole Anthony
7. Markelle Fultz
8. Ignas Brazdeikis
9. Donta Hall
10. Mortiz Wagner


I mostly agree with this list.

Exchange Chuma and RJ
Exchange Cole and Bamba
User avatar
RookieStar
RealGM
Posts: 11,237
And1: 2,455
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#31 » by RookieStar » Today 5:36 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Knightro wrote:Bumping this after the final three weeks. I suspect the rankings for a lot of people, myself included, will have changed. The Magic have 10 players age 24 or under.

Here's how I'd rank them.

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Chuma Okeke
3. RJ Hampton
4. Wendell Carter Jr.
5. Mo Bamba
6. Cole Anthony
7. Markelle Fultz
8. Ignas Brazdeikis
9. Donta Hall
10. Mortiz Wagner


I mostly agree with this list.

Exchange Chuma and RJ
Exchange Cole and Bamba


Well id just put Fultz at number 4 and Wagner at 7. Then everyone just slides down.

Return to Orlando Magic