ImageImageImageImage

Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Re: Ranking the Magic's Young Players (Robbins) 

Post#21 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:39 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Speaking of one of the young players.

He never gets credit and is always crapped on it seems. But he has been improving all year.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#22 » by MagicMatic » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:49 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

He never gets credit and is always crapped on it seems. But he has been improving all year.

You definitely can’t down him for being all-in on the team. That alone make me glad he’s on the Magic.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#23 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

I kept saying I preferred RJ over Cole if we weren't moving up. I'm glad I was wrong. Cole is doing everything I expected of RJ (scorer) and then some.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#24 » by Max Power » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:31 pm

To me, obviously it’s still about JI, and Fultz until we add whoever from the draft. Most of this group is filler until a better talent becomes available at their spot. Here’s hoping JI and Fultz’s bodies stop betraying them because they both have the talent. As far as talent beyond them, it’s really Chuma we have to look at.The trades did wonders giving him an opportunity. Cole plays with a fire in gut which this team needed for years, his game drives me nuts though. He needs to quit thinking he’s Allen Iverson and make some plays for the other guys.

Carter is solid but nothing more. But that’s ok. Not everyone can be what Vucevic. He’s a secure piece. Bamba really needs to be our focus as far as developing a big.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#25 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:50 pm

All I take from this is that if we miss on this draft class we are in for a very tough rebuild.

If we strike gold (where gold = super star) then we have some very good building blocks to support said super star and have a chance to build out.

This draft is critical because next year isn’t so special.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#26 » by Bensational » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

You definitely can’t down him for being all-in on the team. That alone make me glad he’s on the Magic.

I think he’s a good character and presence at this stage of the rebuild, especially if the coaches can get him to reign in his shooting in favour of more playmaking.

Energy, attitude and fearlessness, ideally off the bench. He could be a Jameer X DJ kind of presence and impact on the team.

Will be interesting to see how Fultz responds to serious competition from another young guard hungry to cement a spot. I think Fultz will come in and defer to Cole.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,584

Post#27 » by Rainwater » Sat May 1, 2021 2:27 am

While he would be a great role player I don't get the Fultz love. he would be 5th on my list behind JI, Okeke, WCJ and Mo.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#28 » by Last Guardian » Sat May 1, 2021 2:59 pm

While none of them project to be star players, there is something to like about all of them

1. Isaac. Fairly easy choice, he wreaks havoc on the defensive end whether he's defending the rim or deflecting passes or challenging 3's. He's also not as bad offensively as people say he is. He's fairly smart, shooting is not great but not horrible. Overall a really positive impact player when healthy.

2. Fultz. He's the most talented. I was always impressed with how he sees the floor and his great ballhandling skills. While he does suck as a shooter, he's pretty good at overpowering his way to the basket and finishing with efficiency. Upcoming rookie could make him expendable though, but thats a problem for another day.

3. Chuma. He does some rookie things but his IQ is fantastic usually. Makes a lot of good, smart decisions and he projects as a good offensive player and a solid defender.

4. WCJ. Not great height for a C but he's very strong and has a great wingspan. He's got a decent IQ, his post defense is fantastic and his rim protection isn't horrible. He's mainly a paint player which is nice but he can step out and hit jumpers. Very solid player.

5. Bamba. He's soft but the more I watch him the more its clear he will be a + offensive player. He's a good shooter, probably shouldn't leave him open and he's got some OK finishing around the basket. If he wasn't soft he'd be #2 on this list honestly.

6. Cole. He's developed since the start of the season. He picks his spots better and he doesn't force things. He's energetic and competitive. I like him but probably is a scoring PG off the bench, but we'll see.

7. RJ. He's definitely rough but he makes enough good plays. He does get to the basket and dish it out to open players. He has a scorers mentality but he's not blind like Bacon or Ross (but not nearly as good at making shots as them either). If he just learned a little from Cole and picked his spots better he could end up a good guard off the bench.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,310

Post#29 » by Knightro » Tue May 18, 2021 4:23 am

Bumping this after the final three weeks. I suspect the rankings for a lot of people, myself included, will have changed. The Magic have 10 players age 24 or under.

Here's how I'd rank them.

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Chuma Okeke
3. RJ Hampton
4. Wendell Carter Jr.
5. Mo Bamba
6. Cole Anthony
7. Markelle Fultz
8. Ignas Brazdeikis
9. Donta Hall
10. Mortiz Wagner
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#30 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 18, 2021 5:05 am

Knightro wrote:Bumping this after the final three weeks. I suspect the rankings for a lot of people, myself included, will have changed. The Magic have 10 players age 24 or under.

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Chuma Okeke
3. RJ Hampton
4. Wendell Carter Jr.
5. Mo Bamba
6. Cole Anthony
7. Markelle Fultz
8. Ignas Brazdeikis
9. Donta Hall
10. Mortiz Wagner

I mostly agree with this list.

Exchange Chuma and RJ
Exchange Cole and Bamba
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#31 » by RookieStar » Tue May 18, 2021 5:36 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Knightro wrote:Bumping this after the final three weeks. I suspect the rankings for a lot of people, myself included, will have changed. The Magic have 10 players age 24 or under.

1. Jonathan Isaac
2. Chuma Okeke
3. RJ Hampton
4. Wendell Carter Jr.
5. Mo Bamba
6. Cole Anthony
7. Markelle Fultz
8. Ignas Brazdeikis
9. Donta Hall
10. Mortiz Wagner

I mostly agree with this list.

Exchange Chuma and RJ
Exchange Cole and Bamba

Well id just put Fultz at number 4 and Wagner at 7. Then everyone just slides down.
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#32 » by Magic_Kingdom » Tue May 18, 2021 7:33 pm

I think Fultz has been "out of sight, out of mind" looking at these lists. It's easy to forget how much better the team plays when he is on the court in spite of his flaws. He can be a game-changer.

On the opposite end of that spectrum is Bamba, the ultimate empty-stats player. Doesn't make the team better. So I would have Bamba lower and Fultz higher.

R.J. is an interesting player. It's hard to judge these players in tank games, but for a 20-year-old to be getting near triple-doubles in his first real action is intriguing.

The ultimate takeaway from these lists -- Weltman and Hammond have been here 4 years and haven't added a star to the team. Not real good.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#33 » by Skin » Sat May 22, 2021 5:57 pm

1. 1st Round Pick (ORL) - Will immediately be our best player. Thank heavens for the tank.
2. Isaac - Can be a good #2, but not a #1. Health has affected his ability to be versatile. He must stay at PF.
3. Fultz - ISO ability is still tops. Handle is too good to stop. Forsee a Derrick Rose type return.
4. WCj - If he added passing to his game, he could be an All-Star. His arrow is trending up big time.
5. Anthony - He WANTS it more than those below him on this list. To his credit, that is an admirable trait.
6. Okeke - X factor type. Lacks aggression and too comfortable deferring. He could be the man, but he doesn't want to be.
7. Hampton - Exciting young player to cheer for, but too wild and inconsistent right now. Super-sub. Happy to have.
8. Bamba - Role playing Big Man. 3s, Rebounds, Blocks hoarder, but plays with low BBIQ.
9. Wagner - Moritz proved to me to be a great 3rd option at Center. Keeper.

Not sure what all the down attitudes and fuss are about these guys. This is the most excited I've been about the Magic since our year going to the Finals. Just think about this.... WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT VUC, FOURNIER, AG ANYMORE!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#34 » by JF5 » Sat May 22, 2021 10:29 pm

1. Issac
2. Fultz
3. Okeke
4. WCJ
5. Anthony
6. Hampton
7. Bamba

Return to Orlando Magic