ImageImageImage

OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

User avatar
SuperSunsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 1,111
Joined: May 24, 2018
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#821 » by SuperSunsFan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:09 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I disagree, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The original was never popular because of its amazing story or characterization, it is only now that a star wars is being judged solely on its story and if it doesn't adhered to a very specific way hardcore fans wanted it to be exactly it gets trashed. how about enjoying for its amazing editing, photography, art direction, and the soundtrack? simple and basic functional story structure with light humors and likeable characters as a backdrop to showcase state of the art SFX has always been the way the original was designed. For Christ sake in episode 4 clearly by design there was a love triangle between all the principle characters, Lucas changed course in the second and forced onto us this leia is Luke's sister bs and somehow the original is now being treated as the pinnacle of story telling? give me a break. did we know anything about Han Solo besides him being a cynical outside but heroic inside space pirate who used to only look out for himself until he made friend with Luke and Leia and reluctantly join the resistance, but no all of a sudden new star wars films are being judged by these very unfair criteria. nostalgia has skewed the way people's perception on their favorite movies, when they used this indestructible skewed version to judge new entries of the franchise of course they were all garbage.
I really like the reverse hero arc of the trilogy that Kylo Ren had to complete his sith training by severing all his ties to the light side in the form seeking out his blood relatives and killing them one by one, that is an amazing idea and despite some hiccups it was most realized successfully. somehow the fans hated the last jedi because of the bold moves they took (Luke tempted by the dark side which causes Ben to fall, Kylo Ren join forces with Rey in the middle of trilogy to take down the supposedly end boss and became the end boss himself, Luke using his spirit form to fight Kylo Ren from afar) and hated it again for playing too safely this time around (the last arc is pretty much a conglomeration of all the best elements of recent disney successes in case you don't notice - rey's parentage - star lord, allies showing up to save the day - end game)
That was quite the diatribe. All I said is I disagree that it blows the original trilogy out of the water. I didn't say I hated it, or that you were wrong for having your opinion. I think the new trilogy okay, much like the prequels are okay (to me).

The thing that irks me about the new Star Wars movies (and I'm including Rogue One and Solo as well as 7, 8, and 9) is that they haven't really illicited any sort of emotional reaction from me when their characters succeed or fail, and I don't think it's because I'm just a heartless bastard now, I just don't think that the new movies do a good enough job of establishing their own characters, but instead keep thrusting nostalgia into my face, which is a shame because the cast of the new trilogy are all wonderful actors.

nothing personal, the tirade if that's how you perceived it was directed at the angry fans who are judging the new trilogy so reasonably harsh, may make a youtube video myself to rebuke all their unreasonable criticisms.
He is the Aytonator, a sophisticated Basketball-Robot sent through time to destroy the future for one very unlucky franchise - my Phoenix Suns.
User avatar
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 15,695
And1: 8,356
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Contact:
     

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#822 » by Qwigglez » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:24 am

Big fan of the Witcher 3. I finished the game twice I believe, but probably have played through about half of the storyline 4 times now. Currently playing it again, and haven't had the chance to play the expansion packs yet, so I'm excited for that. Been hyping up the Witcher on Netflix for the past several months. I even bought this expensive statue of Ronin Geralt.

Spoiler:
Image


And now CDProjekt is making a Ciri version of the statue so I'm likely going to buy that one too.

For the Netflix series, I'm only on Ep 3 right now, but I'm disappointed in the acting. I'm not a fan of the actress who is playing Triss or Ciri. I'm warming up to Yen. I like Henry Cavill for Geralt, I think he's doing a good job. I have the books and have read one of them about halfway through only to realize it isn't Book 1. I'm waiting to finish the Netflix series and then likely going to read the books afterwards, and then rewatch the Netflix series. Hoping this will take the better part of the year until Season 2 comes out.

I don't like how they went over Yen's backstory so early. I feel like you shouldn't get to know that early part of Yen until way later. Because now you'll have some sort of compassion for Yen and you won't see why she is so heartless.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#823 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:53 pm

Watched Star Wars last night and loved it. Always been a fan although I wouldn't say I'm a super fan. Look, I have zero issues with the new trilogy. Each of these 3 films brought something amazing and it was just fun, relatively coherent story-wise and the Sith v Jedi themes were great.

I've heard, but didn't read, about the bad reviews but honestly, I feel like these days your writing won't get any attention unless you say something even a little be controversial. Aside from the obvious downside of that approach is that a lot of people are doing it now and it's like if you don't follow the narrative/crowd, you're not "woke". People care more about engagement than anything and the best way to get engagement is to write something a little controversial. I deliberately didn't read into the reviews because I didn't want it to affect my enjoyment of the film
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
SuperSunsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 1,111
Joined: May 24, 2018
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#824 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:15 am

(spoiler alert) i do have problems with the jedi power which has been subtle up to this point is now being dialed up by the new creators to the god like level, pulling down a spaceship from sky (seriously if she can do that what is stopping her from making herself fly magneto style by stepping on a piece metal and uses her power to lift it afloat into the sky) or portal snatching a necklace from light years away. also it was kind of stupid that somehow there is a secret tunnel underneath the black quick sands, how did the sands stay above empty spaces? but these are pop corn movies made for children's entertainment and just because you saw it as a child and now you are an adult doesn't change this fact so when the movies don't appeal to you anymore maybe the problem isn't on the movies but on you outgrowing the targeted audience age for this franchise. dial your down your expectation, understand that these were made for children/teens and stop over analyzing then you will find something to enjoy.
He is the Aytonator, a sophisticated Basketball-Robot sent through time to destroy the future for one very unlucky franchise - my Phoenix Suns.
User avatar
sunskerr
Head Coach
Posts: 6,751
And1: 2,953
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#825 » by sunskerr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:18 am

My honest opinion is that the new Star Wars movies are massively disconnected from the first 6 in a thematic and narrative way, to the point where it's really jarring when you're thinking about the movies after you watch them. I guess that's sort of the issue- Star Wars isn't a series you should be thinking about because it really isn't that sort of series.

I say that as someone who loved Star Wars as a kid, but as an adult didn't think about it at all before going into the new movies, and didn't read or watch reviews and other Star Wars related material before seeing any of them.

I guess I just want a little more consistency in the story telling, because you should be able to expect that even in what is an action adventure targeted at kids.

But I did enjoy it and it was totally worth the price of admission. They don't make sense in the context of the larger series but they're a lot of fun, certainly more than the prequels, so I'll give it that. They're solid stand alone movies and mindless entertainment.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#826 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:38 am

I do agree it feels 2019 Disney. Some scenes certainly felt like a Marvel movie but execution was excellent and I'm totally OK with that
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
SuperSunsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 1,111
Joined: May 24, 2018
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#827 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:49 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I do agree it feels 2019 Disney. Some scenes certainly felt like a Marvel movie but execution was excellent and I'm totally OK with that


anyone else find the throne in the last act a bit too GOT?
Spoiler:
the plot could even go a step further, what if palpatine's endgame wasn't just to make rey the new emperor but to procreate with rey targaryen style to father a true supreme being who will be the most fearsome sith in the history of the galaxy.
He is the Aytonator, a sophisticated Basketball-Robot sent through time to destroy the future for one very unlucky franchise - my Phoenix Suns.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,583
And1: 11,553
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#828 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:57 am

Spoiler:
SuperSunsFan wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I do agree it feels 2019 Disney. Some scenes certainly felt like a Marvel movie but execution was excellent and I'm totally OK with that

(spoiler alert) anyone else find the throne in the last act a bit too GOT?

https://www.inverse.com/article/60346-palpatine-throne-star-wars-rise-skywalker-return-jedi-ralph-mcquarrie

Image

Apparently it came from a 1981 sketch for the Return of the Jedi which they never used
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
SuperSunsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 1,111
Joined: May 24, 2018
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#829 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:58 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Spoiler:
SuperSunsFan wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I do agree it feels 2019 Disney. Some scenes certainly felt like a Marvel movie but execution was excellent and I'm totally OK with that

(spoiler alert) anyone else find the throne in the last act a bit too GOT?

https://www.inverse.com/article/60346-palpatine-throne-star-wars-rise-skywalker-return-jedi-ralph-mcquarrie

Image

Apparently it came from a 1981 sketch for the Return of the Jedi which they never used

awesome
He is the Aytonator, a sophisticated Basketball-Robot sent through time to destroy the future for one very unlucky franchise - my Phoenix Suns.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,284
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#830 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:09 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Watched Star Wars last night and loved it. Always been a fan although I wouldn't say I'm a super fan. Look, I have zero issues with the new trilogy. Each of these 3 films brought something amazing and it was just fun, relatively coherent story-wise and the Sith v Jedi themes were great.

I've heard, but didn't read, about the bad reviews but honestly, I feel like these days your writing won't get any attention unless you say something even a little be controversial. Aside from the obvious downside of that approach is that a lot of people are doing it now and it's like if you don't follow the narrative/crowd, you're not "woke". People care more about engagement than anything and the best way to get engagement is to write something a little controversial. I deliberately didn't read into the reviews because I didn't want it to affect my enjoyment of the film


I haven't watched the new one but watched Empire, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi all over the last two days. As a kid I really liked Return of the Jedi, and I have to say I still like it, maybe as much as Empire. I REALLY liked The Force Awakens though. I think a lot of people have underrated it just saying it ripped off the original. While true, and it has elements of all three of the original trilogy, it was a very nice throwback, had some of the original characters and I thought Rey was a great lead.

I just watched The Last Jedi again and it really starts off and ends well. Just really seemed to have kind of a blah in the middle. I have a feeling I will really like the last one being that JJ Abrams did it and he did TFA. There is a thread where people are ranking the Star Wars movies and people are all over the place. Most seem to like the original trilogy best, but there are quite a few that have some of the newer ones near the top, particularly TFA and Rogue One.
User avatar
sunskerr
Head Coach
Posts: 6,751
And1: 2,953
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#831 » by sunskerr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:59 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Watched Star Wars last night and loved it. Always been a fan although I wouldn't say I'm a super fan. Look, I have zero issues with the new trilogy. Each of these 3 films brought something amazing and it was just fun, relatively coherent story-wise and the Sith v Jedi themes were great.

I've heard, but didn't read, about the bad reviews but honestly, I feel like these days your writing won't get any attention unless you say something even a little be controversial. Aside from the obvious downside of that approach is that a lot of people are doing it now and it's like if you don't follow the narrative/crowd, you're not "woke". People care more about engagement than anything and the best way to get engagement is to write something a little controversial. I deliberately didn't read into the reviews because I didn't want it to affect my enjoyment of the film


I haven't watched the new one but watched Empire, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi all over the last two days. As a kid I really liked Return of the Jedi, and I have to say I still like it, maybe as much as Empire. I REALLY liked The Force Awakens though. I think a lot of people have underrated it just saying it ripped off the original. While true, and it has elements of all three of the original trilogy, it was a very nice throwback, had some of the original characters and I thought Rey was a great lead.

I just watched The Last Jedi again and it really starts off and ends well. Just really seemed to have kind of a blah in the middle. I have a feeling I will really like the last one being that JJ Abrams did it and he did TFA. There is a thread where people are ranking the Star Wars movies and people are all over the place. Most seem to like the original trilogy best, but there are quite a few that have some of the newer ones near the top, particularly TFA and Rogue One.


How do you rank yours?

As movies if I watched them all now:

I put Empire, A New Hope, and Revenge of the Sith as the top tier ones in that order. Then below those I have Jedi and Force Awakens, which would be fairly close to Revenge. Under that is probably the most recent one, Skywalker. And then by themselves Phantom Menace, Last Jedi, and Clones. Last Jedi kinda dragged on for me, like you said.

If it's nostalgia factor, then Phantom Menace gets bumped up to top tier. I think the action sequences and soundtrack are the strongest in the series. Clones bored me even as a kid and is probably the last Star Wars movie I'd want to watch.

As for the anthology films, I loved Rogue One and Solo was an absolute blast. I think they are superior to the sequel trilogy and also perhaps even A New Hope and Revenge. I'd have a hard time not placing R1 above Revenge, at least.

Where do you rank Rogue One and Solo? It's kind of interesting that some people love them and despise the sequel trilogy. Maybe it's the anthology films' pacings. To me at least, they feel similar to A New Hope and Empire in the amount/balance of politics, exposition, and action. But I barely know anything about film making anyway lol, so it's just sort of my two cents.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,284
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#832 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:16 am

sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Watched Star Wars last night and loved it. Always been a fan although I wouldn't say I'm a super fan. Look, I have zero issues with the new trilogy. Each of these 3 films brought something amazing and it was just fun, relatively coherent story-wise and the Sith v Jedi themes were great.

I've heard, but didn't read, about the bad reviews but honestly, I feel like these days your writing won't get any attention unless you say something even a little be controversial. Aside from the obvious downside of that approach is that a lot of people are doing it now and it's like if you don't follow the narrative/crowd, you're not "woke". People care more about engagement than anything and the best way to get engagement is to write something a little controversial. I deliberately didn't read into the reviews because I didn't want it to affect my enjoyment of the film


I haven't watched the new one but watched Empire, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi all over the last two days. As a kid I really liked Return of the Jedi, and I have to say I still like it, maybe as much as Empire. I REALLY liked The Force Awakens though. I think a lot of people have underrated it just saying it ripped off the original. While true, and it has elements of all three of the original trilogy, it was a very nice throwback, had some of the original characters and I thought Rey was a great lead.

I just watched The Last Jedi again and it really starts off and ends well. Just really seemed to have kind of a blah in the middle. I have a feeling I will really like the last one being that JJ Abrams did it and he did TFA. There is a thread where people are ranking the Star Wars movies and people are all over the place. Most seem to like the original trilogy best, but there are quite a few that have some of the newer ones near the top, particularly TFA and Rogue One.


How do you rank yours?

As movies if I watched them all now:

I put Empire, A New Hope, and Revenge of the Sith as the top tier ones in that order. Then below those I have Jedi and Force Awakens, which would be fairly close to Revenge. Under that is probably the most recent one, Skywalker. And then by themselves Phantom Menace, Last Jedi, and Clones. Last Jedi kinda dragged on for me, like you said.

If it's nostalgia factor, then Phantom Menace gets bumped up to top tier. I think the action sequences and soundtrack are the strongest in the series. Clones bored me even as a kid and is probably the last Star Wars movie I'd want to watch.

As for the anthology films, I loved Rogue One and Solo was an absolute blast. I think they are superior to the sequel trilogy and also perhaps even A New Hope and Revenge. I'd have a hard time not placing R1 above Revenge, at least.

Where do you rank Rogue One and Solo? It's kind of interesting that some people love them and despise the sequel trilogy. Maybe it's the anthology films' pacings. To me at least, they feel similar to A New Hope and Empire in the amount/balance of politics, exposition, and action. But I barely know anything about film making anyway lol, so it's just sort of my two cents.


It's tough. I made a long post on the Media Lounge thread about it, but that was before rewatching some of them. I have seen New Hope a lot. And while it was great, there was a lot of time in there where not much was going on. I remember as a kid I kind of felt the same way about Empire when Luke was with Yoda. Return of the Jedi seemed to really hit the ground strong and it was fun. And even rewatching, I kind of enjoy the EWoks..it's not like they are Jar Jar Binks.

I loved Rogue One. I have seen it 2-3 times, but maybe need to watch it again to get a fresh view after these rewatches. I know a lot of people think Solo was trash, but I thought it was entertaining. It's probably still bottom 3.

I need to see the end of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith again. I know I really liked Revenge of the Sith, but not sure where I would rank right now. Was Attack of the Clones the one where Yoda and that other powerful guy had a fight in a cave and were moving a lot of stuff and Yoda was jumping around with the light saber? I loved that.

Mine would probably end up something like this:

The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith (though this may rank 1 or 2 spots higher)
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi
Solo
Phantom Menace

Solo might be a spot higher. But honestly, I think we had a ranking thread a couple years ago and my ranking was quite a bit different. But rewatching, I knew I had liked Return of the Jedi the best of the original trilogy as a kid, but figured maybe I was wrong, not having rewatched in a long time...but rewatching I feel the same. It's very close to Empire, but I really liked it.
User avatar
sunskerr
Head Coach
Posts: 6,751
And1: 2,953
Joined: Feb 20, 2010
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#833 » by sunskerr » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:37 am

bwgood77 wrote:It's tough. I made a long post on the Media Lounge thread about it, but that was before rewatching some of them. I have seen New Hope a lot. And while it was great, there was a lot of time in there where not much was going on. I remember as a kid I kind of felt the same way about Empire when Luke was with Yoda. Return of the Jedi seemed to really hit the ground strong and it was fun. And even rewatching, I kind of enjoy the EWoks..it's not like they are Jar Jar Binks.

I loved Rogue One. I have seen it 2-3 times, but maybe need to watch it again to get a fresh view after these rewatches. I know a lot of people think Solo was trash, but I thought it was entertaining. It's probably still bottom 3.

I need to see the end of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith again. I know I really liked Revenge of the Sith, but not sure where I would rank right now. Was Attack of the Clones the one where Yoda and that other powerful guy had a fight in a cave and were moving a lot of stuff and Yoda was jumping around with the light saber? I loved that.

Mine would probably end up something like this:

The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith (though this may rank 1 or 2 spots higher)
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi
Solo
Phantom Menace

Solo might be a spot higher. But honestly, I think we had a ranking thread a couple years ago and my ranking was quite a bit different. But rewatching, I knew I had liked Return of the Jedi the best of the original trilogy as a kid, but figured maybe I was wrong, not having rewatched in a long time...but rewatching I feel the same. It's very close to Empire, but I really liked it.


Yeah, Attack of the Clones was where Yoda fought Dooku in the cave and was flipping everywhere. But it also had the romance plot which was a big part of the film that I couldn't stand.

I might go back and revisit Clones, though. But it's consistently been near the bottom for me throughout the years.

Funny enough you should mention Ewoks, though. I saw both Menace and Return of the Jedi as a kid, and came away liking Jar Jar whilst being annoyed by Ewoks. But I don't really think they take away too much, really if anything at all, from the movies (talking about both Jar Jar and the Ewoks) because every single Star Wars always has loads of cheesy humor. Return of the Jedi is still fun and the best parts of Menace are still extremely memorable, and the parts I don't like about Menace have nothing to do with Jar Jar.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,284
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#834 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 am

sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:It's tough. I made a long post on the Media Lounge thread about it, but that was before rewatching some of them. I have seen New Hope a lot. And while it was great, there was a lot of time in there where not much was going on. I remember as a kid I kind of felt the same way about Empire when Luke was with Yoda. Return of the Jedi seemed to really hit the ground strong and it was fun. And even rewatching, I kind of enjoy the EWoks..it's not like they are Jar Jar Binks.

I loved Rogue One. I have seen it 2-3 times, but maybe need to watch it again to get a fresh view after these rewatches. I know a lot of people think Solo was trash, but I thought it was entertaining. It's probably still bottom 3.

I need to see the end of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith again. I know I really liked Revenge of the Sith, but not sure where I would rank right now. Was Attack of the Clones the one where Yoda and that other powerful guy had a fight in a cave and were moving a lot of stuff and Yoda was jumping around with the light saber? I loved that.

Mine would probably end up something like this:

The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith (though this may rank 1 or 2 spots higher)
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi
Solo
Phantom Menace

Solo might be a spot higher. But honestly, I think we had a ranking thread a couple years ago and my ranking was quite a bit different. But rewatching, I knew I had liked Return of the Jedi the best of the original trilogy as a kid, but figured maybe I was wrong, not having rewatched in a long time...but rewatching I feel the same. It's very close to Empire, but I really liked it.


Yeah, Attack of the Clones was where Yoda fought Dooku in the cave and was flipping everywhere. But it also had the romance plot which was a big part of the film that I couldn't stand.

I might go back and revisit Clones, though. But it's consistently been near the bottom for me throughout the years.

Funny enough you should mention Ewoks, though. I saw both Menace and Return of the Jedi as a kid, and came away liking Jar Jar whilst being annoyed by Ewoks. But I don't really think they take away too much, really if anything at all, from the movies (talking about both Jar Jar and the Ewoks) because every single Star Wars always has loads of cheesy humor. Return of the Jedi is still fun and the best parts of Menace are still extremely memorable, and the parts I don't like about Menace have nothing to do with Jar Jar.

The whole Ewok part was fun for me. They had the Empire invading their land, and then Leia runs into one, and it isn't sure, and then sees that Leia is good, and earns their trust, and they NEED their help, and they deliver. Also they think C3P0 is a God and then they are about to still cook Han, Chewy, Luke for dinner, and won't listen to C3P0 to stop until Luke uses the force to make him float into the air. Yes, there is cheesy stuff, but I thought in the first trilogy it usually worked well. Not so much in the prequels. In the new ones it's been fine. Those little things bothering Chewbacca in The Last Jedi were pretty funny too.
User avatar
SuperSunsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 1,111
Joined: May 24, 2018
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#835 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:09 am

bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:It's tough. I made a long post on the Media Lounge thread about it, but that was before rewatching some of them. I have seen New Hope a lot. And while it was great, there was a lot of time in there where not much was going on. I remember as a kid I kind of felt the same way about Empire when Luke was with Yoda. Return of the Jedi seemed to really hit the ground strong and it was fun. And even rewatching, I kind of enjoy the EWoks..it's not like they are Jar Jar Binks.

I loved Rogue One. I have seen it 2-3 times, but maybe need to watch it again to get a fresh view after these rewatches. I know a lot of people think Solo was trash, but I thought it was entertaining. It's probably still bottom 3.

I need to see the end of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith again. I know I really liked Revenge of the Sith, but not sure where I would rank right now. Was Attack of the Clones the one where Yoda and that other powerful guy had a fight in a cave and were moving a lot of stuff and Yoda was jumping around with the light saber? I loved that.

Mine would probably end up something like this:

The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith (though this may rank 1 or 2 spots higher)
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi
Solo
Phantom Menace

Solo might be a spot higher. But honestly, I think we had a ranking thread a couple years ago and my ranking was quite a bit different. But rewatching, I knew I had liked Return of the Jedi the best of the original trilogy as a kid, but figured maybe I was wrong, not having rewatched in a long time...but rewatching I feel the same. It's very close to Empire, but I really liked it.


Yeah, Attack of the Clones was where Yoda fought Dooku in the cave and was flipping everywhere. But it also had the romance plot which was a big part of the film that I couldn't stand.

I might go back and revisit Clones, though. But it's consistently been near the bottom for me throughout the years.

Funny enough you should mention Ewoks, though. I saw both Menace and Return of the Jedi as a kid, and came away liking Jar Jar whilst being annoyed by Ewoks. But I don't really think they take away too much, really if anything at all, from the movies (talking about both Jar Jar and the Ewoks) because every single Star Wars always has loads of cheesy humor. Return of the Jedi is still fun and the best parts of Menace are still extremely memorable, and the parts I don't like about Menace have nothing to do with Jar Jar.

The whole Ewok part was fun for me. They had the Empire invading their land, and then Leia runs into one, and it isn't sure, and then sees that Leia is good, and earns their trust, and they NEED their help, and they deliver. Also they think C3P0 is a God and then they are about to still cook Han, Chewy, Luke for dinner, and won't listen to C3P0 to stop until Luke uses the force to make him float into the air. Yes, there is cheesy stuff, but I thought in the first trilogy it usually worked well. Not so much in the prequels. In the new ones it's been fine. Those little things bothering Chewbacca in The Last Jedi were pretty funny too.

LOL, That was my favorite movie part as a child, up there with the scene where that thunder or rain guy blowing himself up in big trouble in little china and two weeks scene in total recall. of course the first act where Luke and Leia went to save Han, Leia became jabba's sex slave, Luke was forced into the gladiator fight with that monster, Jabba choked to death by Leia and Boba Fett got eaten by the giant tremor was amazing too. how can people argue that movies ain't gotten worse in recent days but only nostalgia playing with our mind? things were more imaginative.
He is the Aytonator, a sophisticated Basketball-Robot sent through time to destroy the future for one very unlucky franchise - my Phoenix Suns.
User avatar
SuperSunsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 1,111
Joined: May 24, 2018
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#836 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:17 am

one reason the mcu has been so successful with people is their ability to recapture some of the magic in films of our youth. in endgame despite a lot of plot holes the concept that after killing off the present thanos they somehow found a creative way to bring the thanos in the past back to present to be the boss in the final showdown was magical, even the lesser mcu films have a lot wonders in them such as the clever use of matchbox/hotwheel/micromachine toy cars in antman or shrinking the whole lab into this tiny box as the macgaffin of the story was amazing.
He is the Aytonator, a sophisticated Basketball-Robot sent through time to destroy the future for one very unlucky franchise - my Phoenix Suns.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,284
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#837 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:41 am

SuperSunsFan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:
Yeah, Attack of the Clones was where Yoda fought Dooku in the cave and was flipping everywhere. But it also had the romance plot which was a big part of the film that I couldn't stand.

I might go back and revisit Clones, though. But it's consistently been near the bottom for me throughout the years.

Funny enough you should mention Ewoks, though. I saw both Menace and Return of the Jedi as a kid, and came away liking Jar Jar whilst being annoyed by Ewoks. But I don't really think they take away too much, really if anything at all, from the movies (talking about both Jar Jar and the Ewoks) because every single Star Wars always has loads of cheesy humor. Return of the Jedi is still fun and the best parts of Menace are still extremely memorable, and the parts I don't like about Menace have nothing to do with Jar Jar.

The whole Ewok part was fun for me. They had the Empire invading their land, and then Leia runs into one, and it isn't sure, and then sees that Leia is good, and earns their trust, and they NEED their help, and they deliver. Also they think C3P0 is a God and then they are about to still cook Han, Chewy, Luke for dinner, and won't listen to C3P0 to stop until Luke uses the force to make him float into the air. Yes, there is cheesy stuff, but I thought in the first trilogy it usually worked well. Not so much in the prequels. In the new ones it's been fine. Those little things bothering Chewbacca in The Last Jedi were pretty funny too.

LOL, That was my favorite movie part as a child, up there with the scene where that thunder or rain guy blowing himself up in big trouble in little china and two weeks scene in total recall. of course the first act where Luke and Leia went to save Han, Leia became jabba's sex slave, Luke was forced into the gladiator fight with that monster, Jabba choked to death by Leia and Boba Fett got eaten by the giant tremor was amazing too. how can people argue that movies ain't gotten worse in recent days but only nostalgia playing with our mind? things were more imaginative.


Yes, that opening sequence in Return of the Jedi where they rescue Han was great....love that part too..that was one of my favorite scenes in the entire first trilogy.

That last sentence you wrote doesn't make sense if you thought the most recent trilogy is better than the first one unless you were joking about that.
User avatar
SuperSunsFan
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 1,111
Joined: May 24, 2018
 

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#838 » by SuperSunsFan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:45 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SuperSunsFan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:The whole Ewok part was fun for me. They had the Empire invading their land, and then Leia runs into one, and it isn't sure, and then sees that Leia is good, and earns their trust, and they NEED their help, and they deliver. Also they think C3P0 is a God and then they are about to still cook Han, Chewy, Luke for dinner, and won't listen to C3P0 to stop until Luke uses the force to make him float into the air. Yes, there is cheesy stuff, but I thought in the first trilogy it usually worked well. Not so much in the prequels. In the new ones it's been fine. Those little things bothering Chewbacca in The Last Jedi were pretty funny too.

LOL, That was my favorite movie part as a child, up there with the scene where that thunder or rain guy blowing himself up in big trouble in little china and two weeks scene in total recall. of course the first act where Luke and Leia went to save Han, Leia became jabba's sex slave, Luke was forced into the gladiator fight with that monster, Jabba choked to death by Leia and Boba Fett got eaten by the giant tremor was amazing too. how can people argue that movies ain't gotten worse in recent days but only nostalgia playing with our mind? things were more imaginative.


Yes, that opening sequence in Return of the Jedi where they rescue Han was great....love that part too..that was one of my favorite scenes in the entire first trilogy.

That last sentence you wrote doesn't make sense if you thought the most recent trilogy is better than the first one unless you were joking about that.

i am a very conflicting individual to say the least.
He is the Aytonator, a sophisticated Basketball-Robot sent through time to destroy the future for one very unlucky franchise - my Phoenix Suns.
User avatar
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
Posts: 4,952
And1: 4,210
Joined: Jan 10, 2010
   

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#839 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:08 am

I personally rank the Star Wars films like this:

Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi
A New Hope


The Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith & Force Awakens


Attack of the Clones
Solo

The OT I could watch endlessly. The second grouping are flawed movies that I'd watch again and enjoy. The bottom two I don't feel like I need to see ever again.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 64,284
And1: 36,396
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#840 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:11 am

MrMiyagi wrote:I personally rank the Star Wars films like this:

Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi
A New Hope


The Last Jedi
Phantom Menace
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith & Force Awakens


Attack of the Clones
Solo

The OT I could watch endlessly. The second grouping are flawed movies that I'd watch again and enjoy. The bottom two I don't feel like I need to see ever again.


The ranking in that second tier is very surprising to say the least.

Return to Phoenix Suns