Season speculation, free agency, and trade ideas: #ValleyBoyz rise up

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,690

Season speculation, free agency, and trade ideas: #ValleyBoyz rise up 

Post#1 » by Qwigglez » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:54 pm

The #ValleyBoyz have been 5-2 the last 7 games, beating the best Eastern Conference team in the Bucks and Western Conference team in the Warriors this week. Beating the Lebrakers was also nice.

How bout them #ValleyBoyz though huh?

(Girlfriend and I in the background) :D
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Re: Season speculation, free agency, and trade ideas: #ValleyBoyz rise up 

Post#2 » by sunskerr » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 am

bwgood77 wrote:That's actually been the lineup I've been thinking they should start next year (or the rest of this year), especially if TJ is back (for the bench spark and scoring) and we don't sign a solid PF. Oubre is the best guy to play PF for rebounding and with his wingspan.

Yep. It's the modern NBA. You don't pay a banger PF starter money and starter minutes. That would harm Ayton from a spacing perspective. You get a cheap PF (and they are cheap now) who can preferably handle physicality more to compliment a potential Warren/Oubre/Bridges rotational trio. In other words, it's sort of like what we're doing already with Bender, except preferably with someone who is better than Bender, or maybe Bender can start hitting some 3s next year.

Basically, the rotation of those 4 guys is supposed to be fluid, and minutes are allocated slightly more on matchup. Some nights one guy will get 28 mpg and other nights 34-36 mpg. It's not a black and white thing, where people are saying, "oh, we need to trade Warren and bring in x power forward and play him 36 mpg". No, that's wrong. There's enough minutes for them all, especially if Jackson is taken out the equation.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#3 » by BobbieL » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:38 am

sunskerr wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:That's actually been the lineup I've been thinking they should start next year (or the rest of this year), especially if TJ is back (for the bench spark and scoring) and we don't sign a solid PF. Oubre is the best guy to play PF for rebounding and with his wingspan.

Yep. It's the modern NBA. You don't pay a banger PF starter money and starter minutes. That would harm Ayton from a spacing perspective. You get a cheap PF (and they are cheap now) who can preferably handle physicality more to compliment a potential Warren/Oubre/Bridges rotational trio. In other words, it's sort of like what we're doing already with Bender, except preferably with someone who is better than Bender, or maybe Bender can start hitting some 3s next year.

Basically, the rotation of those 4 guys is supposed to be fluid, and minutes are allocated slightly more on matchup. Some nights one guy will get 28 mpg and other nights 34-36 mpg. It's not a black and white thing, where people are saying, "oh, we need to trade Warren and bring in x power forward and play him 36 mpg". No, that's wrong. There's enough minutes for them all, especially if Jackson is taken out the equation.

I still think Suns need a serviceable player at the 4. Week's guy Aminu seems like a good player to try to target. May not wow you but would be a net positive player. Which on the Suns at the 4 - would be a pretty good thing to have. And with the way Tyler is playing - the need for a point guard might be diminished. Unless Jrue for Tyler, Jackson and the 2019 FRP not named Zion happens

Suns could get Holiday and maybe a guy like Aminu. But I am okay if Tyler sticks around - he is one the ValleyBoyz! :)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:46 am

sunskerr wrote:

Yeah, I totally agree with all of this except we do need to improve overall on rebounding (though we did well here last night). I wouldn't even mind starting another PF and bringing two of those guys off the bench but still think there is room for 3. There will always be injuries and you need depth. A lot of teams have several wings.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#5 » by MathiasPW » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

Yeah, I totally agree with all of this except we do need to improve overall on rebounding (though we did well here last night). I wouldn't even mind starting another PF and bringing two of those guys off the bench but still think there is room for 3. There will always be injuries and you need depth. A lot of teams have several wings.
I've been thinking: are we really bad at rebounding or is it just cause we shoot much worse than league average providing more defensive rebounds to the other team?

Cause our lineups are not that much smaller than league average, as the big PFs become more and more scarce. So why would we suck so much, if there is no structural reason?

I'm sure there are advanced rebounding stats to look this up.
denial
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,014

Post#6 » by denial » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 am

I think we are a good rebounding team. I haven’t looked at the numbers. But we used to give up second and third chances on every play... for years! Since Marion left or right around there.
Again haven’t reviewed the numbers but seems to me we are not a bad rebounding team at all.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#7 » by MathiasPW » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:25 am

MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

I've been thinking: are we really bad at rebounding or is it just cause we shoot much worse than league average providing more defensive rebounds to the other team?

Cause our lineups are not that much smaller than league average, as the big PFs become more and more scarce. So why would we suck so much, if there is no structural reason?

To answer myself: we are 5th in Off Rebounding %, but 30th in Def Reb %, which is by far the most common rebound for your team in a game. So, yeah, we are bad at rebounding...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:28 am

MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:

Well we outrebounded the Warriors who are bigger. I think it comes down to hustle. Our team has(had) the tendency to not put in a lot of effort going for lose balls and stuff. Ever since Tyler showed up they do a lot more of it...whether it be Ayton diving on the ground, Oubre getting more rebounds, etc. I think they just need to get used to crashing the boards. A bunch of young players just are were not used to NBA teams putting in so much effort on every possession...really crashing the boards..going for offensive rebounds. They are just learning they have to give it their all on every possession or they will just simply get outhustled and outplayed.

And yes, missing more shots does help the other team get more rebounds too.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,088

Post#9 » by SlovenianDragon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:29 am

Its kinda crazy that the only player on our current roster from the 2014-15 season is TJ Warren...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/2015.html

At least times have changed and it feels like we have a lot of guys now that will be on our roster for years.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#10 » by SlovenianDragon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:34 am

Qwigglez wrote:The #ValleyBoyz have been 5-2 the last 7 games, beating the best Eastern Conference team in the Bucks and Western Conference team in the Warriors this week. Beating the Lebrakers was also nice.

How bout them #ValleyBoyz though huh?

(Girlfriend and I in the background) :D

Hey Kerrsed if you are around could I get a valley boyz sig with this picture? :D

Also I can have Qwigglez in the background as a plus :lol:

Its cool if not!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 am

One of the guys (from a pick) we traded to dump the Kurt Thomas contract goes at it against a guy we traded 3 1st for...

Read on Twitter
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,690

Post#12 » by Qwigglez » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 am

Forgot to post this gem when I was at the Blazers game.
You think Booker was checking out my girl for that millisecond he stared?
Read on Twitter

*edit* Evan Turner picked Cheetos over personal chef BTW.
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#13 » by bhawk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:03 am

bwgood77 wrote:One of the guys (from a pick) we traded to dump the Kurt Thomas contract goes at it against a guy we traded 3 1st for...

Read on Twitter

I wish Ibaka would have connected on that punch... that's how much I don't like Chriss. What a waste of a pick. Bender too. I should thrown in Len while I'm at it. Jackson is on bust watch.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#14 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:One of the guys (from a pick) we traded to dump the Kurt Thomas contract goes at it against a guy we traded 3 1st for...

Read on Twitter
Chriss wanted no part of serge in this one. Brandon knight made an appearance as a peacemaker. Most productive thing he's done in years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:06 am

bhawk wrote:

Read on Twitter

I wish Ibaka would have connected on that punch... that's how much I don't like Chriss. What a waste of a pick. Bender too. I should thrown in Len while I'm at it. Jackson is on bust watch.

I like the guy's response watching courtside...

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Why's he always picking on former suns (minus James Johnson)? The look on crazy ass Matt Barnes face cracked me up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#17 » by SlovenianDragon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:09 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bhawk wrote:

Read on Twitter

I like the guy's response watching courtside...

I personally like the guy in the background that gives no ****....Like yup I saw that comming.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#18 » by Blonde » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 am

What is Thad Young’s market this summer? He makes 13.5M right now and is 31 years old. I’d definitely have him high on our list for PFs.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,181

Post#19 » by Frank Lee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:46 am

Why is this happening ??? I look at the players out there and the gap on who we have and who we can get keeps getting smaller.

Im completely comfortable in a PG rotation of TJo / Melton / and sometimes Book.... with Oko waiting in the wings.
At PF, I'd just as soon sign Bender and start TJ or Oubre ... but then draft that Clarke kid if yall think he is the Matrix Reloaded and can handle the 4. (Zion would cause a group nut out... but makes life easy)

Sign Holmes and Oubre.

GDit, I cant believe that I would just as soon move right into next yr without any FA headeaches and drastic trade moves. See what we have, and make the neccessary adjustments mid season.

what a vote of confidence the FO would be giving. Get a full attendance at voluntary camp and roll with this group. Everybody works on their weakness. Get Bender to gain another 10LBs of dragonmeat and submit him, Jackson, Melton, and Oubre to 1000 threes a day. Send Ayton to Hakeem for a dreamshake lesson and some fine tuning. Make Book watch a hrs of Kobe D. Let Warren go off alone somewhere and comeback with another surprise.

If everyone got a little bit better.... we wouldnt be bad.
What ? Me Worry ?
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#20 » by Jdiddy701 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:03 am

I really hope the Suns don’t sign Terry Rozier this offseason.. his stock has gone very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Phoenix Suns