ImageImageImage

Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 5:00pm l BSAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Kerrsed, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 26,604
And1: 14,909
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#161 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:55 pm

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter


Gotta imagine he stays in the rotation.

Stix was solid. Made some "rookie" mistakes but his rebounding was good, his activity was good and he played his role. I'd like us to be able to give him more time so by playoff time, he's actually playable in decent minutes
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
Posts: 22,759
And1: 7,913
Joined: May 13, 2011
     

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#162 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:37 pm

Stix did impress me last game. He came into the game and played well in limited minutes something Cam and Shamet haven't done yet this season. I would give Stix more minutes since our other bench players havent performed up to their potential. Monty needs to play guys who will play hard so maybe other players that are struggling will take notice and start playing better once given a chance. That's hard love but will pay off later on.
Image
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 26,604
And1: 14,909
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#163 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:12 pm

What I liked about Stix was that he was getting good minutes and was productive when the game was still very much up for grabs in the 4th. He didn't shoot well but he set screens and was part of plays that the team was running so he wasn't looking completely lost out there. 5 boards (2 offensive) in 9min is exactly what I want from the guy even if he doesn't do much scoring for us
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
SlovenianDragon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,668
And1: 6,679
Joined: Aug 01, 2014
         

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#164 » by SlovenianDragon » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:28 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:What I liked about Stix was that he was getting good minutes and was productive when the game was still very much up for grabs in the 4th. He didn't shoot well but he set screens and was part of plays that the team was running so he wasn't looking completely lost out there. 5 boards (2 offensive) in 9min is exactly what I want from the guy even if he doesn't do much scoring for us


To my grave i will say we should have played him in the finals.

Just rebound and play defense. All we needed.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Image
Desertfox
Senior
Posts: 602
And1: 489
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
     

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#165 » by Desertfox » Mon Nov 1, 2021 12:03 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:I like the Ayton we've gotten the last 2 games. THAT guy is worth a max deal. He just needs to keep it up. Monty needs to let him freaking shoot the damn ball more too.


To me personally,
I see it simply as a matter of keeping him engaged fully. Now most would probably say that's on him individually to remain engaged. But I'd disagree, And say that it's more a matter of us working to run the offense through him more and making him a focal point rather than running a guard centric style offense. Utilizing Ayton is just much better for our shooters to reestablish their potency on the perimeter due to the immense gravity he creates when the defenses are forced to collapse. But yes, Ayton WHEN UTILIZED CORRECTLY is absolutely worth the max. Although he still does have to working on his ballhandling ( ISO game) and his 3 pt shooting. :D

The big question is honestly whether or not the suns recognize and are willing to except this. Or will they continue to force the offense through Booker and Paul primarily with Ayton in a supplementary role?

But using Ayton properly means having to pay him properly... Not something the Suns seem willing to do...
User avatar
JDJ26
Junior
Posts: 312
And1: 358
Joined: Jun 07, 2015
 

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#166 » by JDJ26 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 4:11 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:I like the Ayton we've gotten the last 2 games. THAT guy is worth a max deal. He just needs to keep it up. Monty needs to let him freaking shoot the damn ball more too.


To me personally,
I see it simply as a matter of keeping him engaged fully. Now most would probably say that's on him individually to remain engaged. But I'd disagree, And say that it's more a matter of us working to run the offense through him more and making him a focal point rather than running a guard centric style offense. Utilizing Ayton is just much better for our shooters to reestablish their potency on the perimeter due to the immense gravity he creates when the defenses are forced to collapse. But yes, Ayton WHEN UTILIZED CORRECTLY is absolutely worth the max. Although he still does have to working on his ballhandling ( ISO game) and his 3 pt shooting. :D

The big question is honestly whether or not the suns recognize and are willing to except this. Or will they continue to force the offense through Booker and Paul primarily with Ayton in a supplementary role?


3pt shooting is nice, but I would rather have Ayton focus on getting to the free-throw line. He already is a good free-throw shooter.

If he can get to the line almost as much as Embiid, he will be a problem and worth the max.
User avatar
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
Posts: 5,876
And1: 2,297
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#167 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Nov 1, 2021 5:00 am

JDJ26 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:I like the Ayton we've gotten the last 2 games. THAT guy is worth a max deal. He just needs to keep it up. Monty needs to let him freaking shoot the damn ball more too.


To me personally,
I see it simply as a matter of keeping him engaged fully. Now most would probably say that's on him individually to remain engaged. But I'd disagree, And say that it's more a matter of us working to run the offense through him more and making him a focal point rather than running a guard centric style offense. Utilizing Ayton is just much better for our shooters to reestablish their potency on the perimeter due to the immense gravity he creates when the defenses are forced to collapse. But yes, Ayton WHEN UTILIZED CORRECTLY is absolutely worth the max. Although he still does have to working on his ballhandling ( ISO game) and his 3 pt shooting. :D

The big question is honestly whether or not the suns recognize and are willing to except this. Or will they continue to force the offense through Booker and Paul primarily with Ayton in a supplementary role?


3pt shooting is nice, but I would rather have Ayton focus on getting to the free-throw line. He already is a good free-throw shooter.

If he can get to the line almost as much as Embiid, he will be a problem and worth the max.


True! But I think that could also be a complimentary side effect of choosing to run more offense through him in the post as well. I mean more touches mean more potential fouls to stop his scoring right. Otherwise he's just so efficient, it becomes foul or give up the bucket.

I also think it would be beneficial in any agreement that we come to on his max deal, That a strong benchmark incentive for free throw generation be included! That should promote his interest in getting to the line more and becoming more physical hopefully. :nod:

.
Image
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
Posts: 10,001
And1: 6,612
Joined: Jan 19, 2013

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#168 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Nov 1, 2021 8:00 am

What am I missing about Jalen Smith? I always read he played well when he shoots 30% for the game.
User avatar
JDJ26
Junior
Posts: 312
And1: 358
Joined: Jun 07, 2015
 

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#169 » by JDJ26 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 10:49 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
JDJ26 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
To me personally,
I see it simply as a matter of keeping him engaged fully. Now most would probably say that's on him individually to remain engaged. But I'd disagree, And say that it's more a matter of us working to run the offense through him more and making him a focal point rather than running a guard centric style offense. Utilizing Ayton is just much better for our shooters to reestablish their potency on the perimeter due to the immense gravity he creates when the defenses are forced to collapse. But yes, Ayton WHEN UTILIZED CORRECTLY is absolutely worth the max. Although he still does have to working on his ballhandling ( ISO game) and his 3 pt shooting. :D

The big question is honestly whether or not the suns recognize and are willing to except this. Or will they continue to force the offense through Booker and Paul primarily with Ayton in a supplementary role?


3pt shooting is nice, but I would rather have Ayton focus on getting to the free-throw line. He already is a good free-throw shooter.

If he can get to the line almost as much as Embiid, he will be a problem and worth the max.


True! But I think that could also be a complimentary side effect of choosing to run more offense through him in the post as well. I mean more touches mean more potential fouls to stop his scoring right. Otherwise he's just so efficient, it becomes foul or give up the bucket.

I also think it would be beneficial in any agreement that we come to on his max deal, That a strong benchmark incentive for free throw generation be included! That should promote his interest in getting to the line more and becoming more physical hopefully. :nod:

.


Another thing I don't understand is why is Booker and Ayton not running a pick and roll game. I rarely see it happen.
Slim Charless
Analyst
Posts: 3,747
And1: 2,326
Joined: May 10, 2019
   

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (3-3) @ Phoenix Suns (1-3) l Saturday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#170 » by Slim Charless » Mon Nov 1, 2021 3:52 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
JDJ26 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
To me personally,
I see it simply as a matter of keeping him engaged fully. Now most would probably say that's on him individually to remain engaged. But I'd disagree, And say that it's more a matter of us working to run the offense through him more and making him a focal point rather than running a guard centric style offense. Utilizing Ayton is just much better for our shooters to reestablish their potency on the perimeter due to the immense gravity he creates when the defenses are forced to collapse. But yes, Ayton WHEN UTILIZED CORRECTLY is absolutely worth the max. Although he still does have to working on his ballhandling ( ISO game) and his 3 pt shooting. :D

The big question is honestly whether or not the suns recognize and are willing to except this. Or will they continue to force the offense through Booker and Paul primarily with Ayton in a supplementary role?


3pt shooting is nice, but I would rather have Ayton focus on getting to the free-throw line. He already is a good free-throw shooter.

If he can get to the line almost as much as Embiid, he will be a problem and worth the max.


True! But I think that could also be a complimentary side effect of choosing to run more offense through him in the post as well. I mean more touches mean more potential fouls to stop his scoring right. Otherwise he's just so efficient, it becomes foul or give up the bucket.

I also think it would be beneficial in any agreement that we come to on his max deal, That a strong benchmark incentive for free throw generation be included! That should promote his interest in getting to the line more and becoming more physical hopefully. :nod:

.


Yeah I agree with Ghost. They need to give him the ball more. Not only is he our most athletic player-by a mile. He's also the player with the most potential imo. Plus, these new rules seem like they will benefit teams with bigs that can move and do work down low.

Booker will still get the most shots but DA needs to be a 1b to him. The sooner the Suns realize this, the sooner we can start making a play on the west.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 79,098
And1: 46,936
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#171 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:22 am

Nice hook shot over Allen for Ayton. And then later step back fade shot. Nice to see that shot creation.

Book with a very nice start so far.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 79,098
And1: 46,936
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#172 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 am

Everyone is perfect from the field 10-10 total except Crowder (0-2).
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 79,098
And1: 46,936
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#173 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:37 am

Not good when you are shooting 68% and 57% from 3, outrebounding them and are only up 3.
User avatar
El Hespiritu
Rookie
Posts: 1,139
And1: 1,050
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Barcelona
Contact:
   

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#174 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:39 am

Mmmh...

I guess we're missing a Game Thread.

Aren't we?
Image
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Jdiddy701
General Manager
Posts: 7,754
And1: 4,197
Joined: Jun 05, 2006

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#175 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:41 am

Cavs were feasting in the paint when Ayton was in, Cavs are now feasting at the 3 when McGee is in. That’s not fun!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 79,098
And1: 46,936
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#176 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:50 am

El Hespiritu wrote:Mmmh...

I guess we're missing a Game Thread.

Aren't we?


Hey, I changed the title and stickied it!
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 79,098
And1: 46,936
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#177 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:52 am

They are so big it's tough for us to match up. Who should our C guard when they have Lauri and Allen in there, 2 7 footers? Then they have Love...2 of them can hit 3s...and this is all with Mobley out.

Jarrett Allen offensive rebounds have hurt even though Ayton has done well on Lauri...but when away from the rim what can you do. They present interesting matchups. It is really weird they play so many bigs and it works so well for them.
Jdiddy701
General Manager
Posts: 7,754
And1: 4,197
Joined: Jun 05, 2006

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#178 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:53 am

Might have been the worst challenge of all time for Cleveland.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jdiddy701
General Manager
Posts: 7,754
And1: 4,197
Joined: Jun 05, 2006

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 7:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#179 » by Jdiddy701 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:55 am

DUNK THE BALL AYTON


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 79,098
And1: 46,936
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: Game 18: Phoenix Suns (14-3) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (9-9) l Wednesday l 5:00pm l BSAZ 

Post#180 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 am

Book's killing it shooting.

Only thing really killing us is turnovers. Have 10 already.

Return to Phoenix Suns