Rodions Kurucs

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
JohnWillow
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,450
And1: 5,405
Joined: Jun 27, 2015
Location: Erik Karlsson to SJ? Slap me silly Dougy!!!
       

Rodions Kurucs 

Post#1 » by JohnWillow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Finally found an article in English from well known basketball journalist about likely a mid first round pick in this upcoming draft Rodions Kurucs, very interesting article tbh.

https://loscrossovers.com/2017/03/28/nba-prospect-watch-rodions-kurucs-barcelona/

Read on Twitter
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 26,771
And1: 14,506
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Rodions Kurucs 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:31 pm

JohnWillow wrote:Finally found a article in English from well known basketball journalist about likely a mid first round pick in this upcoming draft Rodions Kurucs, very interesting article tbh.

https://loscrossovers.com/2017/03/28/nba-prospect-watch-rodions-kurucs-barcelona/

Read on Twitter

Yeah they did a good job at really showing everything about the kid.
reanimator
Starter
Posts: 2,197
And1: 733
Joined: Jan 31, 2014
     

Re: Rodions Kurucs 

Post#3 » by reanimator » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Good shooter, good spatial awareness/vision, plus size but no creativity as a ballhandler and an average athlete IMO.

I wasn't too high on Korkmaz as anything other than a end of the round 1st round guy and I feel the same about Kurucs.
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,579
And1: 3,022
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: Rodions Kurucs 

Post#4 » by Fischella » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 pm

reanimator wrote:Good shooter, good spatial awareness/vision, plus size but no creativity as a ballhandler and an average athlete IMO.

I wasn't too high on Korkmaz as anything other than a end of the round 1st round guy and I feel the same about Kurucs.

yeah I think Korkmaz is a much more advanced shooter, in terms of diversity, release and quickness, Kurucs needs to be set and his release is slow and even then he is streaky, Kurucs is stronger and bigger, but that's about it, I think Korkmaz has more upside overall just because of shooting, Kurucs can playmake a little bit, but dunno how that traslates unless he can add enough to his upper body where he can play the PF consistently to take adv of his match-up.
He is a good athlete, he doesnt have the blend of athleticism and strength that Hezonja has.
Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 1,022
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Rodions Kurucs 

Post#5 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Kurucs is a much more fluid athlete than Korkmaz, he's also a much smoother player offensively than Korkmaz. And unlike Korkmaz, he's not an enormous defensive liability.
Kolkmania
Analyst
Posts: 3,085
And1: 1,469
Joined: Feb 11, 2015

Re: Rodions Kurucs 

Post#6 » by Kolkmania » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 am

Mirotic12 wrote:Kurucs is a much more fluid athlete than Korkmaz, he's also a much smoother player offensively than Korkmaz. And unlike Korkmaz, he's not an enormous defensive liability.


Watched Banvit - EWE Basket this month, with Furkan Korkmaz going off, shooting pull up jumpers, throwing down oops and occasional running pick and rolls. He's regaining some of his confidence that we saw in his youth tournaments, not limited as a floor spacer like he was at Efes Anadolu.

I haven't seen Kurucs play live, but if he's a much smoother player than Furkan Korkmaz at 6'8'' and a defensive presence, then he'll have a future in the NBA.
Mirotic12
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 1,022
Joined: Jun 29, 2014

Re: Rodions Kurucs 

Post#7 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Watched Banvit - EWE Basket this month, with Furkan Korkmaz going off, shooting pull up jumpers, throwing down oops and occasional running pick and rolls. He's regaining some of his confidence that we saw in his youth tournaments, not limited as a floor spacer like he was at Efes Anadolu.

I haven't seen Kurucs play live, but if he's a much smoother player than Furkan Korkmaz at 6'8'' and a defensive presence, then he'll have a future in the NBA.


All Korkmaz really does for the most part is shoot jumpers and dunk in the open court. If he wasn't hitting jumpers in that game you watched, he wouldn't be contributing much of anything to his team. And there are plenty of times when his jumper is off. Kurucs actually has some smooth offensive game and skills. I think Kurucs is more like 6-9, than 6-8. "Defensive presence" isn't the right way to describe Kurucs. I just said he isn't a huge defensive liability, like Korkmaz is.

People just get this idea that somehow Korkmaz got railroaded in Efes. He didn't.......he was consistently the worst player the team had by far on defense, and couldn't guard anyone. That's why he couldn't consistently stay in their rotation.

I don't think Kurucs is a good defensive player, but he's not a huge liability on defense like Korkmaz is.
Disposable Hero
Sophomore
Posts: 131
And1: 60
Joined: Mar 11, 2017

Re: Rodions Kurucs 

Post#8 » by Disposable Hero » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:04 am

Love this kid. He has lottery talent and huge upside.

Return to NBA Draft