2020 Draft Rumors Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Ruzious, Marcus

User avatar
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
Posts: 11,901
And1: 4,054
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: Servant to lord Bargnani
   

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#81 » by amcoolio » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:50 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Why? They need a center and OO compliments PJ very well. If you think OO can be the 3rd best player on a playoff team, you take him. And I think he can.

The issue is Charlotte finding guys that can be the best and 2nd best players on a good team. I dont think Graham is that guy, but I also dont think they find either of those guys at #3 this year.



This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.


this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s


Giannis yes. Kawhi, heck no. Kawhi was seen as a Gerald Wallace type. He was also inefficient in college. 25% 3PT, 1:1 turnover ratio, foul prone.
Image
MemphisX
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,954
And1: 1,779
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#82 » by MemphisX » Sun Nov 8, 2020 11:23 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Why? They need a center and OO compliments PJ very well. If you think OO can be the 3rd best player on a playoff team, you take him. And I think he can.

The issue is Charlotte finding guys that can be the best and 2nd best players on a good team. I dont think Graham is that guy, but I also dont think they find either of those guys at #3 this year.



This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.


this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s



I can guarantee you that NOBODY had Giannis #1 on their big board.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,925
And1: 2,363
Joined: May 16, 2013
     

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#83 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Nov 9, 2020 1:52 am

MemphisX wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.


this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s



I can guarantee you that NOBODY had Giannis #1 on their big board.


I remember really liking him in his draft yr and would post his videos. But I had no idea he'd be this good. Just that he would be good for a player picked where he was.
KqWIN
RealGM
Posts: 15,118
And1: 5,800
Joined: May 15, 2014
 

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#84 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 9, 2020 6:15 am

amcoolio wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.


this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s


Giannis yes. Kawhi, heck no. Kawhi was seen as a Gerald Wallace type. He was also inefficient in college. 25% 3PT, 1:1 turnover ratio, foul prone.


High potential might as well be a figment of our imagination. Of course it's real, but we really have no way of knowing how to project that. Giannis is the poster boy for "high ceiling". Physical attributes, youth, unknown element ect. But he's actually the exception when it comes to guys who are real draft steals.

Curry, Harden, Kawhi (like you said) were not seen as the sky high potential guys. In fact, a lower ceiling was considered a negative for Curry and Harden, whereas Kawhi's ability to play a role was seen as his selling point.

Beyond the most elite players, this also holds true. Butler, Lowry, Jokic, Gobert, Klay, Green, Sabonis, Brogdon, Middleton ect. These guys weren't the high ceiling types either.

The easiest way to find potential is the obvious talents like LeBron, KD, Davis ect. But there's really no difficulty in identifying those players. When it's not obvious, there doesn't seem to be a rule or profile that matches a future superstar.
User avatar
andyhop
Analyst
Posts: 3,112
And1: 892
Joined: May 08, 2007
   

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#85 » by andyhop » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:42 am

amcoolio wrote:
Giannis yes. Kawhi, heck no. Kawhi was seen as a Gerald Wallace type. He was also inefficient in college. 25% 3PT, 1:1 turnover ratio, foul prone.


I would love it if teams draft notes on players were somehow released so we could find out whether those who found diamonds in the rough were good or lucky
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
BadWolf
General Manager
Posts: 7,582
And1: 2,035
Joined: Jun 06, 2006

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#86 » by BadWolf » Mon Nov 9, 2020 2:44 pm

So, is Melo falling out of top 3 or 'LaMelo Ball Going First Overall Has Become Assumption Of Most NBA Teams'
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,729
And1: 1,195
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#87 » by doordoor123 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 3:44 pm

BadWolf wrote:So, is Melo falling out of top 3 or 'LaMelo Ball Going First Overall Has Become Assumption Of Most NBA Teams'


He might go number 1. No one knows anymore. Both Minnesota and Golden State are throwing shade everywhere.
User avatar
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
Posts: 11,597
And1: 3,815
Joined: Jun 18, 2008
Location: Fountain Valley- A nice place to live
       

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#88 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Mon Nov 9, 2020 4:18 pm

I want DENI on the Bulls so fingers crossed it shakes out this way.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 14,523
And1: 3,395
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#89 » by Fischella » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:52 pm

Ball is going 1 if Minnesota doesn't trade out, which seems far-fecthed at this point, I have been telling you since the lotto, it's obvious

The whole LaMelo is dropping talk comes from KOC who has absolutely 0 sources and is used by agents to push smokescreens and agendas
EMG518
Starter
Posts: 2,160
And1: 588
Joined: Mar 11, 2012

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#90 » by EMG518 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:58 pm

I would bet money he doesnt go 1 to Minnessota and it's not a smoke screen.
nolang1
Analyst
Posts: 3,544
And1: 1,599
Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#91 » by nolang1 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:25 pm

andyhop wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
Giannis yes. Kawhi, heck no. Kawhi was seen as a Gerald Wallace type. He was also inefficient in college. 25% 3PT, 1:1 turnover ratio, foul prone.


I would love it if teams draft notes on players were somehow released so we could find out whether those who found diamonds in the rough were good or lucky


A Gerald Wallace type back then was referring to a player who had just been named an all-star and 1st team all-defense, so yes people did think Kawhi had star upside. Kawhi was a bigger, better version of Okoro to the point that people didn't have to expect his shot to come around to still be high on him. There was no shortage of people who had him in the top 5 at least, and given he has this degenerative quad injury that caused the Spurs to move on him and has made him the most load-managed star in the league, it's fair to assume some teams just red flagged him medically.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,729
And1: 1,195
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#92 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:08 am

It’s starting to look like Miami is trading for another 2nd rounder. They’re looking to pick a PG with their first round pick and a center with what looks like another pick. They’ve been working out PGs up until recently when they’ve started to work out early second round types of centers.
LivingLegend
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,624
And1: 5,507
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#93 » by LivingLegend » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:32 am

nolang1 wrote:
andyhop wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
Giannis yes. Kawhi, heck no. Kawhi was seen as a Gerald Wallace type. He was also inefficient in college. 25% 3PT, 1:1 turnover ratio, foul prone.


I would love it if teams draft notes on players were somehow released so we could find out whether those who found diamonds in the rough were good or lucky


A Gerald Wallace type back then was referring to a player who had just been named an all-star and 1st team all-defense, so yes people did think Kawhi had star upside. Kawhi was a bigger, better version of Okoro to the point that people didn't have to expect his shot to come around to still be high on him. There was no shortage of people who had him in the top 5 at least, and given he has this degenerative quad injury that caused the Spurs to move on him and has made him the most load-managed star in the league, it's fair to assume some teams just red flagged him medically.


Speaking of Gerald Wallace (what ever happened to him after Charlotte?) but I see a ton of him with Isaac Okoro. The only thing holding him back is his jumper which I believe with extended work can become respectable.
God Squad
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,870
And1: 2,085
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto
 

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#94 » by God Squad » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:17 am

LivingLegend wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
andyhop wrote:
I would love it if teams draft notes on players were somehow released so we could find out whether those who found diamonds in the rough were good or lucky


A Gerald Wallace type back then was referring to a player who had just been named an all-star and 1st team all-defense, so yes people did think Kawhi had star upside. Kawhi was a bigger, better version of Okoro to the point that people didn't have to expect his shot to come around to still be high on him. There was no shortage of people who had him in the top 5 at least, and given he has this degenerative quad injury that caused the Spurs to move on him and has made him the most load-managed star in the league, it's fair to assume some teams just red flagged him medically.


Speaking of Gerald Wallace (what ever happened to him after Charlotte?) but I see a ton of him with Isaac Okoro. The only thing holding him back is his jumper which I believe with extended work can become respectable.

He went to Portland and Brooklyn then fully broke down. Too many injuries hence the nickname "Crash"
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 44,755
And1: 50,161
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#95 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 pm

these Obi to New York rumors don't make any sense to me but they do love their PFs
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,729
And1: 1,195
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#96 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:these Obi to New York rumors don't make any sense to me but they do love their PFs


He apparently has a close connection to Leon Rose. All the big draft people think its a strong enough connection where they won't pass on him if he's there.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,729
And1: 1,195
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#97 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:47 am

Rumor is Spurs could trade up to 2 with 11 and LMA going to Golden State. I commented after they worked out Avidja they might trade up. I didn't think they'd get up to 2, but if they get there I'm assuming they draft either Wiseman or Avidja.

I do think there's a chance they make another trade to get another lottery pick if they do that trade. Possibly with DeRozan on the move.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,241
And1: 3,319
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#98 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:38 am

doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:these Obi to New York rumors don't make any sense to me but they do love their PFs


He apparently has a close connection to Leon Rose. All the big draft people think its a strong enough connection where they won't pass on him if he's there.

He is also from NY
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,729
And1: 1,195
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#99 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:15 am

Stillwater wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:these Obi to New York rumors don't make any sense to me but they do love their PFs


He apparently has a close connection to Leon Rose. All the big draft people think its a strong enough connection where they won't pass on him if he's there.

He is also from NY


He looks like a New Yorker
User avatar
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 25,080
And1: 9,126
Joined: Sep 22, 2005
Location: Officially a citizen of the World...
Contact:
     

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#100 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to NBA Draft