amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#81 » by amcoolio » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:50 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Why? They need a center and OO compliments PJ very well. If you think OO can be the 3rd best player on a playoff team, you take him. And I think he can.

The issue is Charlotte finding guys that can be the best and 2nd best players on a good team. I dont think Graham is that guy, but I also dont think they find either of those guys at #3 this year.

This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.

this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s

Giannis yes. Kawhi, heck no. Kawhi was seen as a Gerald Wallace type. He was also inefficient in college. 25% 3PT, 1:1 turnover ratio, foul prone.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#82 » by MemphisX » Sun Nov 8, 2020 11:23 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Why? They need a center and OO compliments PJ very well. If you think OO can be the 3rd best player on a playoff team, you take him. And I think he can.

The issue is Charlotte finding guys that can be the best and 2nd best players on a good team. I dont think Graham is that guy, but I also dont think they find either of those guys at #3 this year.

This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.

this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s

I can guarantee you that NOBODY had Giannis #1 on their big board.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#83 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Nov 9, 2020 1:52 am

MemphisX wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

I can guarantee you that NOBODY had Giannis #1 on their big board.

I remember really liking him in his draft yr and would post his videos. But I had no idea he'd be this good. Just that he would be good for a player picked where he was.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#84 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 9, 2020 6:15 am

amcoolio wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

Giannis yes. Kawhi, heck no. Kawhi was seen as a Gerald Wallace type. He was also inefficient in college. 25% 3PT, 1:1 turnover ratio, foul prone.

High potential might as well be a figment of our imagination. Of course it's real, but we really have no way of knowing how to project that. Giannis is the poster boy for "high ceiling". Physical attributes, youth, unknown element ect. But he's actually the exception when it comes to guys who are real draft steals.

Curry, Harden, Kawhi (like you said) were not seen as the sky high potential guys. In fact, a lower ceiling was considered a negative for Curry and Harden, whereas Kawhi's ability to play a role was seen as his selling point.

Beyond the most elite players, this also holds true. Butler, Lowry, Jokic, Gobert, Klay, Green, Sabonis, Brogdon, Middleton ect. These guys weren't the high ceiling types either.

The easiest way to find potential is the obvious talents like LeBron, KD, Davis ect. But there's really no difficulty in identifying those players. When it's not obvious, there doesn't seem to be a rule or profile that matches a future superstar.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#85 » by andyhop » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:42 am

amcoolio wrote:

I would love it if teams draft notes on players were somehow released so we could find out whether those who found diamonds in the rough were good or lucky
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,227

Post#86 » by BadWolf » Mon Nov 9, 2020 2:44 pm

So, is Melo falling out of top 3 or 'LaMelo Ball Going First Overall Has Become Assumption Of Most NBA Teams'
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#87 » by doordoor123 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 3:44 pm

BadWolf wrote:So, is Melo falling out of top 3 or 'LaMelo Ball Going First Overall Has Become Assumption Of Most NBA Teams'

He might go number 1. No one knows anymore. Both Minnesota and Golden State are throwing shade everywhere.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#88 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Mon Nov 9, 2020 4:18 pm

I want DENI on the Bulls so fingers crossed it shakes out this way.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#89 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:52 pm

Ball is going 1 if Minnesota doesn't trade out, which seems far-fecthed at this point, I have been telling you since the lotto, it's obvious

The whole LaMelo is dropping talk comes from KOC who has absolutely 0 sources and is used by agents to push smokescreens and agendas
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#90 » by EMG518 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 7:58 pm

I would bet money he doesnt go 1 to Minnessota and it's not a smoke screen.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#91 » by nolang1 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:25 pm

andyhop wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

I would love it if teams draft notes on players were somehow released so we could find out whether those who found diamonds in the rough were good or lucky

A Gerald Wallace type back then was referring to a player who had just been named an all-star and 1st team all-defense, so yes people did think Kawhi had star upside. Kawhi was a bigger, better version of Okoro to the point that people didn't have to expect his shot to come around to still be high on him. There was no shortage of people who had him in the top 5 at least, and given he has this degenerative quad injury that caused the Spurs to move on him and has made him the most load-managed star in the league, it's fair to assume some teams just red flagged him medically.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:08 am

It’s starting to look like Miami is trading for another 2nd rounder. They’re looking to pick a PG with their first round pick and a center with what looks like another pick. They’ve been working out PGs up until recently when they’ve started to work out early second round types of centers.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#93 » by LivingLegend » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:32 am

nolang1 wrote:
andyhop wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

A Gerald Wallace type back then was referring to a player who had just been named an all-star and 1st team all-defense, so yes people did think Kawhi had star upside. Kawhi was a bigger, better version of Okoro to the point that people didn't have to expect his shot to come around to still be high on him. There was no shortage of people who had him in the top 5 at least, and given he has this degenerative quad injury that caused the Spurs to move on him and has made him the most load-managed star in the league, it's fair to assume some teams just red flagged him medically.

Speaking of Gerald Wallace (what ever happened to him after Charlotte?) but I see a ton of him with Isaac Okoro. The only thing holding him back is his jumper which I believe with extended work can become respectable.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#94 » by God Squad » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:17 am

LivingLegend wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
andyhop wrote:

Speaking of Gerald Wallace (what ever happened to him after Charlotte?) but I see a ton of him with Isaac Okoro. The only thing holding him back is his jumper which I believe with extended work can become respectable.

He went to Portland and Brooklyn then fully broke down. Too many injuries hence the nickname "Crash"
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#95 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:58 pm

these Obi to New York rumors don't make any sense to me but they do love their PFs
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:these Obi to New York rumors don't make any sense to me but they do love their PFs

He apparently has a close connection to Leon Rose. All the big draft people think its a strong enough connection where they won't pass on him if he's there.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:47 am

Rumor is Spurs could trade up to 2 with 11 and LMA going to Golden State. I commented after they worked out Avidja they might trade up. I didn't think they'd get up to 2, but if they get there I'm assuming they draft either Wiseman or Avidja.

I do think there's a chance they make another trade to get another lottery pick if they do that trade. Possibly with DeRozan on the move.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#98 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:38 am

doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:these Obi to New York rumors don't make any sense to me but they do love their PFs

He apparently has a close connection to Leon Rose. All the big draft people think its a strong enough connection where they won't pass on him if he's there.

He is also from NY
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:15 am

Stillwater wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

He is also from NY

He looks like a New Yorker
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#100 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to NBA Draft