ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic, niQ

bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 7,037
And1: 5,683
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(1042 new cases Oct 25th) 

Post#961 » by bballsparkin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:47 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:
So perfect. :lol:


Perfectamundo smart guy! :lol:
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 28,321
And1: 27,715
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(827 new cases Oct 27th) 

Post#962 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:52 am

Pointgod wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Even after a vaccine is developed and approved it will take a while for it to get administered to the whole population. I’m guessing masks and some forms of social distancing will be in place for the next 2 years. Which is fine, the whole point is to prevent the spread and if we get to the point where we can quickly trace and isolate cases the faster the return to normalcy. But this only works if everyone plays their part instead of being selfish ****.


Sounded like summer to me from what I heard form Trudeau and drug companies. But that's also with those at high risk done first.

I'll just travel and pay for it if I have to and can make it sooner.

Yeah summer sounds about right, but front line medical workers will get it first. I think it will be widespread soon after, but it will also require two doses. And don’t forget you need a critical mass of the population vaccinated before things can fully open up. But if about 30% of the population refuse to take the vaccine things can’t just return to normal. You’ll still require some form of prevention until you reach critical mass in the population.


We've been talking about that, friends and I, and figure if you think you've seen division now with masks etc., wait until a whole pile of muttonheads refuse the vaccine and you have different sets of rules for different people... it's going to be mayhem.
User avatar
Jcity08
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,976
And1: 7,414
Joined: May 06, 2018
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(827 new cases Oct 27th) 

Post#963 » by Jcity08 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:47 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Sounded like summer to me from what I heard form Trudeau and drug companies. But that's also with those at high risk done first.

I'll just travel and pay for it if I have to and can make it sooner.

Yeah summer sounds about right, but front line medical workers will get it first. I think it will be widespread soon after, but it will also require two doses. And don’t forget you need a critical mass of the population vaccinated before things can fully open up. But if about 30% of the population refuse to take the vaccine things can’t just return to normal. You’ll still require some form of prevention until you reach critical mass in the population.


We've been talking about that, friends and I, and figure if you think you've seen division now with masks etc., wait until a whole pile of muttonheads refuse the vaccine and you have different sets of rules for different people... it's going to be mayhem.


Anti-Maskers will reveal their true final form Anti-Vaxxers.

Like when Freeza got his golden Freeza form.
Image
dafan590
Analyst
Posts: 3,479
And1: 1,621
Joined: Jan 15, 2009

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(827 new cases Oct 27th) 

Post#964 » by dafan590 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:18 am

Whoever suggests herd immunity obviously has hidden agenda because his business is dying

What a fkin selfish prick you are, please use your brain first before you say anything. Health is always important before money. But you losers will never learn until you get infected and are getting closer to dying.

Mark my words!!!
User avatar
ItsDanger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,578
And1: 3,311
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(827 new cases Oct 27th) 

Post#965 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:45 pm

dafan590 wrote:Whoever suggests herd immunity obviously has hidden agenda because his business is dying

What a fkin selfish prick you are, please use your brain first before you say anything. Health is always important before money. But you losers will never learn until you get infected and are getting closer to dying.

Mark my words!!!


Great point. I suggest slashing all government salaries & benefits by 40% and permanently reducing workforce by 25% minimum. To help pay for covid.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 54,834
And1: 19,017
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(827 new cases Oct 27th) 

Post#966 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:50 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
dafan590 wrote:Whoever suggests herd immunity obviously has hidden agenda because his business is dying

What a fkin selfish prick you are, please use your brain first before you say anything. Health is always important before money. But you losers will never learn until you get infected and are getting closer to dying.

Mark my words!!!


Great point. I suggest slashing all government salaries & benefits by 40% and permanently reducing workforce by 25% minimum. To help pay for covid.


Or just borrow money at historically low interest rates. Or print more, since inflation is also ridiculously low at the moment.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
User avatar
Caboclo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 958
And1: 2,413
Joined: Nov 24, 2014
 

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(827 new cases Oct 27th) 

Post#967 » by Caboclo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Read on Twitter


934 new cases today
BigBoss23
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 480
Joined: May 11, 2020

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#968 » by BigBoss23 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 54,834
And1: 19,017
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#969 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:56 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21


What's your point lol? You think the virus that spreads when a bunch of people are together inside breathing on each other for extended periods of time looks at the sign before entering the building? Let's open restaurants where people can gather together for an hour or two in close contact because few of the current outbreaks were due to restaurants? Great plan! Amazing risk management!
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
User avatar
Caboclo
Pro Prospect
Posts: 958
And1: 2,413
Joined: Nov 24, 2014
 

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#970 » by Caboclo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Read on Twitter
mtcan
RealGM
Posts: 14,953
And1: 10,498
Joined: May 19, 2001

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#971 » by mtcan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:11 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

You don't need to eat inside of a restaurant for you to get your food and for them to make a profit.

You don't to work out inside a gym to be fit. Working out can be lots of different activities that don't occur in LA Fitness or Goodlife. And gyms can support their patrons in different ways while they aren't allowed to open.

These are compromises that in the short term seem like major inconveniences that in the long term will seem like nothing.

There are other ways to do things in times when things have to be a little different.
BigBoss23
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 480
Joined: May 11, 2020

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#972 » by BigBoss23 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
BigBoss23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21


What's your point lol? You think the virus that spreads when a bunch of people are together inside breathing on each other for extended periods of time looks at the sign before entering the building? Let's open restaurants where people can gather together for an hour or two in close contact because few of the current outbreaks were due to restaurants? Great plan! Amazing risk management!


The data doesn't support your premise. Good thing is now that this is brought to light, shut downs over certain sectors will be lifted as we now finally have hard data contrary to fear mongers.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.5166794!/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.png
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 54,834
And1: 19,017
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#974 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:25 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
BigBoss23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21


What's your point lol? You think the virus that spreads when a bunch of people are together inside breathing on each other for extended periods of time looks at the sign before entering the building? Let's open restaurants where people can gather together for an hour or two in close contact because few of the current outbreaks were due to restaurants? Great plan! Amazing risk management!


The data doesn't support your premise. Good thing is now that this is brought to light, shut downs over certain sectors will be lifted as we now finally have hard data contrary to fear mongers.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.5166794!/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.png


"The data" actually agrees with my statement that the virus spreads when a bunch of people are crowded together indoors. That isn't in dispute.

Secondly, did you even read the article? This, in particular, seems like a problem!
At the same time, there is still a large percentage of COVID-19 cases in which there is no epidemiological link to a source, particularly in the four Stage 2 regions.

The data shows that in the last seven days, about 65 per cent of cases in Toronto have not been traced back to a concrete source.

That number drops significantly in Ottawa (48.8 per cent), Durham (27.5 per cent) and Peel (16.9 per cent.)

This is the point:
“The variation in the source of outbreaks across those four public health units that had restrictions reasonably showing us that there's not one consistent pattern,” Brown told reporters at the news conference.

“There's often concern that we need to wait to see outbreaks in a particular public health unit before instituting restrictions. That would be akin to waiting to close the barn door until after the horses left.”


This is what you are basing your "let's open up a bunch of indoor spaces where people can gather together" plan on?
In Toronto, restaurants, bars and clubs accounted for 14 per cent of outbreaks between Aug. 1 and Oct. 24. compared to long-term care (18 per cent) and schools and daycares (22 per cent).

Gyms and sports accounted for roughly three per cent of Toronto outbreaks within that time period.

The difference becomes more drastic in other hot spots.

In Peel Region, restaurants accounted for about three per cent of all outbreaks compared to grocery and retail (19 per cent), schools and daycares (20 per cent), and industrial settings (22 per cent).

Restaurants and bars accounted for eight per cent of outbreaks in York and two per cent of outbreaks in Ottawa since Aug. 1.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
jaymeister15
RealGM
Posts: 11,878
And1: 1,023
Joined: Dec 30, 2003
Location: Ontario

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#976 » by jaymeister15 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm

mtcan wrote:
BigBoss23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

You don't need to eat inside of a restaurant for you to get your food and for them to make a profit.

You don't to work out inside a gym to be fit. Working out can be lots of different activities that don't occur in LA Fitness or Goodlife. And gyms can support their patrons in different ways while they aren't allowed to open.

These are compromises that in the short term seem like major inconveniences that in the long term will seem like nothing.

There are other ways to do things in times when things have to be a little different.



In almost 3 months with all the gyms open, the government's own data only shows 6 outbreaks attributed to gyms in Toronto (actually combines sports clubs as well, so less than 6 to gyms themselves). It appears gyms were following the guidelines and they were working very well. Forget the economic benefits of keeping gyms open, the health benefits alone far outweigh the apparent minute risk of spread within them.

The 44% of outbreaks in Toronto number being attributed to restaurants in a bunch of headlines is also a far cry from the real number of 14% (while grouping all clubs, restaurants, and bars together)

Ottawa has had 3 outbreaks linked to restaurants in almost 3 months. How does that possibly justify shutting down indoor dining for the whole industry? Sure, they can do takeout, but that doesn't mean it's profitable or they are going to be able to survive (we've seen all the restaurants that have already closed permanently due to COVID since March)

It's easy to say in the long term this will seem like nothing when you aren't the one losing your business or house.

It was one thing to shut down businesses in MArch, or even now if they had concrete date to justify it. But, based on these numbers, it's going to be very hard to justify any further shutdowns in these industries after next week----the mayors of these areas, even Tory, are already showing much more opposition than a month ago.

Image
BigBoss23
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 480
Joined: May 11, 2020

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#977 » by BigBoss23 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
BigBoss23 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
What's your point lol? You think the virus that spreads when a bunch of people are together inside breathing on each other for extended periods of time looks at the sign before entering the building? Let's open restaurants where people can gather together for an hour or two in close contact because few of the current outbreaks were due to restaurants? Great plan! Amazing risk management!


The data doesn't support your premise. Good thing is now that this is brought to light, shut downs over certain sectors will be lifted as we now finally have hard data contrary to fear mongers.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.5166794!/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.png


"The data" actually agrees with my statement that the virus spreads when a bunch of people are crowded together indoors. That isn't in dispute.

Secondly, did you even read the article? This, in particular, seems like a problem!
At the same time, there is still a large percentage of COVID-19 cases in which there is no epidemiological link to a source, particularly in the four Stage 2 regions.

The data shows that in the last seven days, about 65 per cent of cases in Toronto have not been traced back to a concrete source.

That number drops significantly in Ottawa (48.8 per cent), Durham (27.5 per cent) and Peel (16.9 per cent.)

This is the point:
“The variation in the source of outbreaks across those four public health units that had restrictions reasonably showing us that there's not one consistent pattern,” Brown told reporters at the news conference.

“There's often concern that we need to wait to see outbreaks in a particular public health unit before instituting restrictions. That would be akin to waiting to close the barn door until after the horses left.”


This is what you are basing your "let's open up a bunch of indoor spaces where people can gather together" plan on?
In Toronto, restaurants, bars and clubs accounted for 14 per cent of outbreaks between Aug. 1 and Oct. 24. compared to long-term care (18 per cent) and schools and daycares (22 per cent).

Gyms and sports accounted for roughly three per cent of Toronto outbreaks within that time period.

The difference becomes more drastic in other hot spots.

In Peel Region, restaurants accounted for about three per cent of all outbreaks compared to grocery and retail (19 per cent), schools and daycares (20 per cent), and industrial settings (22 per cent).

Restaurants and bars accounted for eight per cent of outbreaks in York and two per cent of outbreaks in Ottawa since Aug. 1.


The argument was that bars, restaurants, and gyms were the source of outbreaks hence why they were forced to close.

In Peel/York/Toronto/Ottawa, the cases that have stemmed from these clusters is miniscule. Only in Toronto bars/restaurants could one argue that the stats presented. In Peel/York/Ottawa the data doesn't support the government's hypothesis.

Schools and daycares make up the most cases for every region and has been argued by many to be the main source since what changed from August to September?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 54,834
And1: 19,017
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(896 new cases Oct 30th) 

Post#978 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:35 pm

The argument is that enclosed spaces where people gather for long periods of time are very easy ways to spread the virus. Just because infected people haven't shown up in those specific locations as much as some others between August 1->Oct. 24th, doesn't mean those places are safe to leave open. Viruses can't read. Arguing those places are safe because there hasn't been a ton of infections yet is some real "I haven't lost at Russian roulette yet, I should keep on pulling!" energy.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
jaymeister15
RealGM
Posts: 11,878
And1: 1,023
Joined: Dec 30, 2003
Location: Ontario

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(934 new cases Oct 29th) 

Post#979 » by jaymeister15 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Secondly, did you even read the article? This, in particular, seems like a problem!
At the same time, there is still a large percentage of COVID-19 cases in which there is no epidemiological link to a source, particularly in the four Stage 2 regions.

The data shows that in the last seven days, about 65 per cent of cases in Toronto have not been traced back to a concrete source.

That number drops significantly in Ottawa (48.8 per cent), Durham (27.5 per cent) and Peel (16.9 per cent.)

This is the point:


Why would you assume the cases that are unable to be traced back to a source would be disproportionately caused by gyms or restaurants? If anything, the number of outbreaks attributed to them is likely the most accurate as contact info for everyone that uses them is taken.
BigBoss23
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 480
Joined: May 11, 2020

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(896 new cases Oct 30th) 

Post#980 » by BigBoss23 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:The argument is that enclosed spaces where people gather for long periods of time are very easy ways to spread the virus. Just because infected people haven't shown up in those specific locations as much as some others between August 1->Sept. 24th, doesn't mean those places are safe to leave open. Viruses can't read. Arguing those places are safe because there hasn't been a ton of infections yet is some real "I haven't lost at Russian roulette yet, I should keep on pulling!" energy.


Doubling down even though the concrete data says you are full of hot air. Fear mongers, never change.

Return to Toronto Raptors