ImageImage

Realgm: Korver/Carter to the Suns for Jackson/Melton/Pick(s)

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Realgm: Korver/Carter to the Suns for Jackson/Melton/Pick(s) 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:35 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254721/Grizzlies-Trade-Kyle-Korver-To-Suns-For-Josh-Jackson-DeAnthony-Melton

The Phoenix Suns have traded Josh Jackson, De'Anthony Melton, a 2020 second round pick and a 2021 conditional second round pick to the Memphis Grizzlies for Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter.

The Grizzlies acquired Korver as part of the Mike Conley trade.

This move clears the necessary cap space for the Suns to sign Ricky Rubio to his three-year, $51 million deal.

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Realgm: Korver/Carter to the Suns for Jackson/Melton/Pick(s) 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:48 pm

Jman do you have any links with the team?

ESPN trade machine has Noah listed at 1 yr 1m in an update.. Can you confirm?.

I've seen trade machine do this before, where they've updated moves before announcements.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:54 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Jman do you have any links with the team?

I've seen trade machine do this before, where they've updated moves before announcements.

I have no direct ties to the team, no. Maybe they read our posts here though?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:57 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Jman do you have any links with the team?

I have no direct ties to the team, no. Maybe they read our posts here though?

I know they do, Morey a few years back admitted to it. Colangelo had several burner accounts which got him fired ...
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:06 pm

jman3134 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254721/Grizzlies-Trade-Kyle-Korver-To-Suns-For-Josh-Jackson-DeAnthony-Melton

The Phoenix Suns have traded Josh Jackson, De'Anthony Melton, a 2020 second round pick and a 2021 conditional second round pick to the Memphis Grizzlies for Kyle Korver and Jevon Carter.

The Grizzlies acquired Korver as part of the Mike Conley trade.

This move clears the necessary cap space for the Suns to sign Ricky Rubio to his three-year, $51 million deal.

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

We had to be the suckers for Jackson.

If Melton is here now, that means that it's bye-bye to Dorsey.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by jman3134 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:12 pm

I love the move. We sign a potential reclamation project in Jackson. Completely frank, I have never liked his game/tape, and saw flaws even in his time at Kansas, when he drew rave reviews. With that said, he is only successful as a transition player at this point because he stinks in the half court. Ja is going to run and run a lot. This is the best opportunity for him to reclaim some value. This assumes we pick up his option in October.

There aren't many game changing young FAs on the market and we have cap space. So we can afford to take this risk.

Melton is alright from what I have seen. Then, you add 2 second round picks potentially (second is conditional), after losing one trading for Brandon Clarke. My problem with the moves this offseason hasn't been that we were stockpiling picks. Moreso, it was that we were stockpiling picks far out in the future, though we had dealt 2020 picks. As we reclaim them and target some reclamation young players, who we can repackage later on once they show something (due to character issues etc), we build a young core to grow in time with some additional future hope.

Edit: also, Korver is so old that he has almost no value in my eyes. Carter is not an NBA player imho. I never saw much from him in his time in the NBA, and his first game in summer league was pretty meh all things considered. It is something for nothing.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#7 » by Damkac » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:13 pm

Melton is great defender, he will fit well on the Grizzlies.
Jackson sucks as a player and as a person. Will play in China next year.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:04 pm

jman3134 wrote:I love the move. We sign a potential reclamation project in Jackson. Completely frank, I have never liked his game/tape, and saw flaws even in his time at Kansas, when he drew rave reviews. With that said, he is only successful as a transition player at this point because he stinks in the half court. Ja is going to run and run a lot. This is the best opportunity for him to reclaim some value. This assumes we pick up his option in October.

There aren't many game changing young FAs on the market and we have cap space. So we can afford to take this risk.

Melton is alright from what I have seen. Then, you add 2 second round picks potentially (second is conditional), after losing one trading for Brandon Clarke. My problem with the moves this offseason hasn't been that we were stockpiling picks. Moreso, it was that we were stockpiling picks far out in the future, though we had dealt 2020 picks. As we reclaim them and target some reclamation young players, who we can repackage later on once they show something (due to character issues etc), we build a young core to grow in time with some additional future hope.

Edit: also, Korver is so old that he has almost no value in my eyes. Carter is not an NBA player imho. I never saw much from him in his time in the NBA, and his first game in summer league was pretty meh all things considered. It is something for nothing.

If Memphis have money when their player movement is said & done, I'd throw it behind Danny Green who seems to want to get paid.

I believe he's part of the reason Pascal made strides with his corner 3's, speculative of course but he was setting up like Green after struggling his first 2 seasons. He's a great teammate & mentor by all accounts. A great defender, shooter, glue guy. Early in the Raptors season, he was the only one hitting 3's with any kind of consistency.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by jman3134 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:12 pm

I am 100% behind this^. I am a huge fan of MKG and would like to acquire him as another reclamation project after he opted in to his Hornets contract. I assume they would have to throw some assets our way if they want to dump his contact, which looks bad optically, considering they don't use him and have no plans to use him from what I have seen. The last two seasons have been injury ridden.

Like Jackson, he is a complete non-shooter, but he is an excellent defender, who would thrive alongside Ja in transition. In terms of his potential role with the Grizzlies, I can envision him playing some five in small ball lineups, considering the fact that he played inside for most of his life (St. Patrick's). Apparently, the Hornets caught on to this and were using him in this way for some time. https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/26/18025298/michael-kidd-gilchrist-hornets-draymond-green

Because he opted into the contract and Charlotte doesn't plan to use him, perhaps they would give up some future picks to unload his contract?

Why I bring this up is my immediate thought after hoping we acquire MKG and revive his career is that we absolutely NEED perimeter shooters to pair with guys like MKG/Josh Jackson. Danny Green would be a perfect match and he could help all of our younger players with their respective shots (Jackson, Ja, Caboclo, Kyle).
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:20 pm

If we make enough moves to offer the full MLE, do you think that would be enough? Reports are that Dallas and Green have strong interest and that is who Dallas is saving their cap for which is why they didn't take Dragic from Miami.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:27 pm

jman3134 wrote:I am 100% behind this^. I am a huge fan of MKG and would like to acquire him as another reclamation project after he opted in to his Hornets contract. I assume they would have to throw some assets our way if they want to dump his contact, which looks bad optically, considering they don't use him and have no plans to use him from what I have seen. The last two seasons have been injury ridden.

Like Jackson, he is a complete non-shooter, but he is an excellent defender, who would thrive alongside Ja in transition. In terms of his potential role with the Grizzlies, I can envision him playing some five in small ball lineups, considering the fact that he played inside for most of his life (St. Patrick's). Apparently, the Hornets caught on to this and were using him in this way for some time. https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/26/18025298/michael-kidd-gilchrist-hornets-draymond-green

Because he opted into the contract and Charlotte doesn't plan to use him, perhaps they would give up some future picks to unload his contract?

Why I bring this up is my immediate thought after hoping we acquire MKG and revive his career is that we absolutely NEED perimeter shooters to pair with guys like MKG/Josh Jackson. Danny Green would be a perfect match and he could help all of our younger players with their respective shots (Jackson, Ja, Caboclo, Kyle).

Memphis have way to many bodies at SF/PF to not have something lined up to consolidate the roster & position. Even if they buyout Iggy & Bradley, they would still be crowded. I think MKG would be a good fit, defensive glue guy on a team not lacking in offense. Charlotte only had Walker ...

Green from all accounts is a great teammate & veteran presence, I wouldn't mind a slight overpayment for his services & influence but not sure even if he was willing if it's in the cards because as it is, Memphis are looking at not picking up Holiday.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:39 pm

VCfor3 wrote:If we make enough moves to offer the full MLE, do you think that would be enough? Reports are that Dallas and Green have strong interest and that is who Dallas is saving their cap for which is why they didn't take Dragic from Miami.

Early in the year with Kawhi's load management, he & Lowry were splitting time, yet Raptors were blowing teams out with Green the lone player consistently spacing the floor. (Lowry, Green, OG, Pascal, Ibaka & JV splitting time).

Ja, Green, Jackson/Clarke ?, 3J, JV is not too far off in terms of talent & skillset but lacking in experience.

Lowry's stat production was down but he impacts the game with his intangibles as we expect from Ja's floor game & court vision. Lowry basically setup his teammates & hit the occasional 3.

Green was the lone consistent floor spacer early in the year when everyone else was struggling from range. He was also the teams +/- leader by a good margin. Raptors were clearly at their best when he was on court. Kawhi or no Kawhi.

Clarke is not unlike Pascal who put together his shot as the year wore on. At the beginning of the season, his range was in question & I believe his improvement was impacted by Green.

3J is better than Ibaka even as a rookie, Ibaka has to have his offense spoon fed. Anytime he puts the ball on the court, it usually led to TO's. 3j is also better & more consistent from range, potential small ball 5 which is how Ibaka was used with Jonas.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:43 pm

VCfor3 wrote:If we make enough moves to offer the full MLE, do you think that would be enough? Reports are that Dallas and Green have strong interest and that is who Dallas is saving their cap for which is why they didn't take Dragic from Miami.

Don't think so, I think the rumor had him at 3/35 ...
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:11 am

So if we are creative, we could actually structure these deals to give us a bit of our TPE back. If we even just turn the Utah deal into a three team deal then we have an almost 8m trade exception still which could be useful since salary dumps are hard to come by for teams.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#15 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:59 am

VCfor3 wrote:So if we are creative, we could actually structure these deals to give us a bit of our TPE back. If we even just turn the Utah deal into a three team deal then we have an almost 8m trade exception still which could be useful since salary dumps are hard to come by for teams.

I wonder with the deal for Howard going down and the grizzlies saving 3.1M, does that help in terms of the TPE or just into the cap space itself?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:05 am

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:So if we are creative, we could actually structure these deals to give us a bit of our TPE back. If we even just turn the Utah deal into a three team deal then we have an almost 8m trade exception still which could be useful since salary dumps are hard to come by for teams.

I wonder with the deal for Howard going down and the grizzlies saving 3.1M, does that help in terms of the TPE or just into the cap space itself?

It won't effect the Conley TPE though it will create a new TPE for us for 3.1m. It also lowers our total cap to give us more room under the tax in order to sign Wright, use the TPE, or use the MLE. We also just waived Bradley.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#17 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:11 am

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

It won't effect the Conley TPE though it will create a new TPE for us for 3.1m. It also lowers our total cap to give us more room under the tax in order to sign Wright, use the TPE, or use the MLE. We also just waived Bradley.

That makes sense. Gives the team more financial flexibility to get Wright back in play. Keep in mind the Mavs are on the Grizzlies trail for Wright. If they sign Wright to a number and the Grizzlies do not match, who's next in line to backup Morant? I wonder what other moves this team will make in the meantime. This has been a enjoyment of an off-season the Grizzlies have done in ages.

To C.J. it's was just a matter of time before he would be moved as he did opt into his contract. Best of luck to Miles in Washington.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies