ImageImage

Does this team need a good veteran?

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,833
And1: 838
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#1 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:11 pm

I want to know your opinion. Sometime I missed Crowder and Hill - it was a great veteran duo which impacted the start of Ja`s NBA career.

So my questions are:

1. Do you need one or two?
2. If yes, what kind of veterans: for just a locker room or start presence?
3. Any specific names? (Crower, Hill, Conley, Gasol, etc.)
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,163
And1: 2,868
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:44 pm

Vets have their off court value but for me it's all about what a player brings to the court & their value/fit.

Conley is not a bad option because he's still good, if he's willing to return. If he can share a court with DM, he can share one with Ja. However the concern is, he's suffering nagging injuries under the grind in consecutive yrs,

Conley is the same 2 PG concept I have with Ball. He's the better PNR option but Ball would be a more viable long term target, if he pans out.

Melton is the closest thing to that option but he's too TO prone to take that ball pressure off of Ja. If at whatever point Melton starts to figure that part of his game out, Memphis could turn Ball into a trade asset.
E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,833
And1: 838
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#3 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:06 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Vets have their off court value but for me it's all about what a player brings to the court & their value/fit.

Conley is not a bad option because he's still good, if he's willing to return. If he can share a court with DM, he can share one with Ja. However the concern is, he's suffering nagging injuries under the grind in consecutive yrs,

Conley is the same 2 PG concept I have with Ball. He's the better PNR option but Ball would be a more viable long term target, if he pans out.

Melton is the closest thing to that option but he's too TO prone to take that ball pressure off of Ja. If at whatever point Melton starts to figure that part of his game out, Memphis could turn Ball into a trade asset.


What about Marc Gasol?

PS Melton is better than Ball
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,163
And1: 2,868
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:06 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Vets have their off court value but for me it's all about what a player brings to the court & their value/fit.

Conley is not a bad option because he's still good, if he's willing to return. If he can share a court with DM, he can share one with Ja. However the concern is, he's suffering nagging injuries under the grind in consecutive yrs,

Conley is the same 2 PG concept I have with Ball. He's the better PNR option but Ball would be a more viable long term target, if he pans out.

Melton is the closest thing to that option but he's too TO prone to take that ball pressure off of Ja. If at whatever point Melton starts to figure that part of his game out, Memphis could turn Ball into a trade asset.


What about Marc Gasol?

PS Melton is better than Ball


A healthy 3J in his 4th season, projected to be the future C, is supposed to be stealing minutes away from Jonas & TIllman at this point.

I'm pro Melton but when tasked with the responsibility of running point, he's a TO waiting to happen.
E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,833
And1: 838
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#5 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:53 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Vets have their off court value but for me it's all about what a player brings to the court & their value/fit.

Conley is not a bad option because he's still good, if he's willing to return. If he can share a court with DM, he can share one with Ja. However the concern is, he's suffering nagging injuries under the grind in consecutive yrs,

Conley is the same 2 PG concept I have with Ball. He's the better PNR option but Ball would be a more viable long term target, if he pans out.

Melton is the closest thing to that option but he's too TO prone to take that ball pressure off of Ja. If at whatever point Melton starts to figure that part of his game out, Memphis could turn Ball into a trade asset.


What about Marc Gasol?

PS Melton is better than Ball


A healthy 3J in his 4th season, projected to be the future C, is supposed to be stealing minutes away from Jonas & TIllman at this point.

I'm pro Melton but when tasked with the responsibility of running point, he's a TO waiting to happen.


Gasol as a mentor.

PS Melton is SG and will never play a pure PG. Similar to Kyle, who is a point forward.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,163
And1: 2,868
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:02 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:
What about Marc Gasol?

PS Melton is better than Ball


A healthy 3J in his 4th season, projected to be the future C, is supposed to be stealing minutes away from Jonas & TIllman at this point.

I'm pro Melton but when tasked with the responsibility of running point, he's a TO waiting to happen.


Gasol as a mentor.

PS Melton is SG and will never play a pure PG. Similar to Kyle, who is a point forward.


Hire him as a player/coach. Memphis already have too many big men needing minutes.

Melton is a combo guard that Jenkins was utilizing over Jones off the bench to develop his PG skills where he was TO prone.

Ball has size, defense, improved 3pt shot, secondary playmaking starting next to Ja to help with ball pressure (where Jones was ineffective paired with Ja), a possible backup to Ja & insurance to a developing Melton which would let Memphis move on from both WInslow, Jones, before either or both require extension.

Ja / Melton - Ball
Ball / Allen - (#17 Christopher)
Brooks / Bane - Konchar

Return to Memphis Grizzlies