ImageImage

Does this team need a good veteran?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#1 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:11 pm

I want to know your opinion. Sometime I missed Crowder and Hill - it was a great veteran duo which impacted the start of Ja`s NBA career.

So my questions are:

1. Do you need one or two?
2. If yes, what kind of veterans: for just a locker room or start presence?
3. Any specific names? (Crower, Hill, Conley, Gasol, etc.)
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Does this team need a good veteran? 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:44 pm

Vets have their off court value but for me it's all about what a player brings to the court & their value/fit.

Conley is not a bad option because he's still good, if he's willing to return. If he can share a court with DM, he can share one with Ja. However the concern is, he's suffering nagging injuries under the grind in consecutive yrs,

Conley is the same 2 PG concept I have with Ball. He's the better PNR option but Ball would be a more viable long term target, if he pans out.

Melton is the closest thing to that option but he's too TO prone to take that ball pressure off of Ja. If at whatever point Melton starts to figure that part of his game out, Memphis could turn Ball into a trade asset.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#3 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:06 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Vets have their off court value but for me it's all about what a player brings to the court & their value/fit.

Conley is not a bad option because he's still good, if he's willing to return. If he can share a court with DM, he can share one with Ja. However the concern is, he's suffering nagging injuries under the grind in consecutive yrs,

Conley is the same 2 PG concept I have with Ball. He's the better PNR option but Ball would be a more viable long term target, if he pans out.

Melton is the closest thing to that option but he's too TO prone to take that ball pressure off of Ja. If at whatever point Melton starts to figure that part of his game out, Memphis could turn Ball into a trade asset.

What about Marc Gasol?

PS Melton is better than Ball
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:06 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Vets have their off court value but for me it's all about what a player brings to the court & their value/fit.

What about Marc Gasol?

A healthy 3J in his 4th season, projected to be the future C, is supposed to be stealing minutes away from Jonas & TIllman at this point.

I'm pro Melton but when tasked with the responsibility of running point, he's a TO waiting to happen.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#5 » by E S V L » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:53 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

What about Marc Gasol?

A healthy 3J in his 4th season, projected to be the future C, is supposed to be stealing minutes away from Jonas & TIllman at this point.

I'm pro Melton but when tasked with the responsibility of running point, he's a TO waiting to happen.

Gasol as a mentor.

PS Melton is SG and will never play a pure PG. Similar to Kyle, who is a point forward.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:02 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:
What about Marc Gasol?

Gasol as a mentor.

PS Melton is SG and will never play a pure PG. Similar to Kyle, who is a point forward.

Hire him as a player/coach. Memphis already have too many big men needing minutes.

Melton is a combo guard that Jenkins was utilizing over Jones off the bench to develop his PG skills where he was TO prone.

Ball has size, defense, improved 3pt shot, secondary playmaking starting next to Ja to help with ball pressure (where Jones was ineffective paired with Ja), a possible backup to Ja & insurance to a developing Melton which would let Memphis move on from both WInslow, Jones, before either or both require extension.

Ja / Melton - Ball
Ball / Allen - (#17 Christopher)
Brooks / Bane - Konchar
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#7 » by bobobolas10 » Tue Jul 6, 2021 3:10 pm

Do you guys think Marc would be ok to come back to play garbage minutes and mentor our youngsters? I mean, when he signed for the lakers, he was obviously going to a contender to give it one last shot. I believe he will try that again and if injuries or minutes dont come his way, he might consider going back to Spain like Pau did.

Marc is a winner, nothing else in his mind. That makes me think he would not help our cause.

Other kind of Veteran would be appreciated, something like Vince Carter in his Grizz days.

However, it feels like that "veteran role" is being fullfilled by Kyle Anderson and Jonas Valanciunas. The both look kind of leaders when it comes to veteranship.
"Take that for Data!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jul 6, 2021 11:04 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:Do you guys think Marc would be ok to come back to play garbage minutes and mentor our youngsters? I mean, when he signed for the lakers, he was obviously going to a contender to give it one last shot. I believe he will try that again and if injuries or minutes dont come his way, he might consider going back to Spain like Pau did.

Marc is a winner, nothing else in his mind. That makes me think he would not help our cause.

Other kind of Veteran would be appreciated, something like Vince Carter in his Grizz days.

However, it feels like that "veteran role" is being fullfilled by Kyle Anderson and Jonas Valanciunas. The both look kind of leaders when it comes to veteranship.

I thought I read he was unhappy with his playing time in LA ?

If not, he would make sense, if Memphis find trade value for Jonas.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#9 » by MemphisX » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:46 am

Marc Gasol moped his entire last season here. Why would you want to inject him into this Grizzlies locker room. Let him retire.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:33 pm

I'm down for a vet but Marc isn't a leader. Fiz tried to force that role on him and it went badly. Good player who could maybe teach Tillman and JJJ a little, but not someone I'd count on for high quality vet presence for the team. I think Marc may retire and go play with his brother for a couple years on FC Barcelona.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies