ImageImageImageImageImage

Kind people of Chocolate city - please help a brother out!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Kind people of Chocolate city - please help a brother out! 

Post#1 » by NashtyNas » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:56 am

I know, I know - not all of you guys are from DC but I thought it was a good way to introduce myself and ask for some help!
I am partaking in the off-season GM a team challenge over on the trade board and I got the Washington Wizards as my team.
Now I am generally familiar with most teams, how they're run, what they wish to accomplish in the short term and how they go about doing it.

With the Wizards - I'm in a bit of a predicament. I need your help in figuring out the overall direction the team will look to take this off-season. The problem is that I'm not sure it's set yet and that I believe it will depend on the results of these playoffs.

Are there any kind souls around here that can help me out?

I want to know things like:

1) Which of the teams' FA's will be priorities (a pretty obvious one, but your input is better than mine since you guys are Wiz fans!)
2) How much would the Wizards FO be willing to pay for these FO's?
3) Who is expendable?
4) What backups need to be replaced the most?
5) How much tax are the owners likely to be okay paying?
6) Are there any possible retirements?
7) Is the rift between Beal and Wall a real thing?
8) What is the likelihood that the Wiz use assets to dump $ so they can sign KD if he says he's interested? (Pure hypothetical cause I can!)

Obviously, any other information you might feel is pertinent is also welcome.

Thank you all again for any help you provide - hopefully I can turn your Wizards into the fantasy champions :D.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Kind people of Chocolate city - please help a brother out! 

Post#2 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Interesting.. are you guys doing it with financial incentives involved like a fantasy league type thing? Or just for fun?

Anyways to your questions

1/2) Obviously Porter will be prioritized in RFA. The only question is whether they can work out a reasonable deal - say 5yrs/$100m -before the moratorium like we did with Beal, or David Falk will have his client wait until a max offer sheet comes from Brooklyn or Sacramento (certainly hoping for the former scenario) . Starting to think they'll let simply Bogdanovic go to the highest bidder, unless the bids ain't that high for a 1-dimensional bench scorer like him and he's willing to return for the MLE around $8m/yr

3) Basically Jennings + the 10-15 guys on the roster: Burke, Ochefu, McCullough, and to a lesser degree McClellan and Satoransky who have shown some promise in their rotation minutes. Could also see a scenario with Gortat being moved in the offseason, he's the most expendable of the starters.

4) Backup G (Jennings, and Bojan if he leaves) + Backup PF (Smith is a fine 3rd-4th big, but wouldn't mind an upgrade to a younger player with upside similar to Kieff)

5) Historically, Leonsis has hated the luxury tax and led the charge against it in CBA negotations. From 2012: "Let's be clear about the luxury tax -- the new CBA truly has draconian penalties for those who exceed it in the out years. We have no intentions of doing so; it just doesn't make sense to us." If we made a serious playoff run with this team (like ECF or Finals), maybe he considers going into the first level of the tax to keep Porter + Bojan . Maaybe

6) Nope

7) Nope

8)

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#3 » by montestewart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Good answer from Illmatic. Maybe Nate, Mojo, or Chocolate City Jordanaire have something to add. Not me.

Good luck brother.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#4 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Illmatic is right about everything. They'll try and get Porter to take a sub max deal but they'll pay him the max if they have to.

Agreed that Gortat is the most vulnerable starter, but they won't trade him unless it's for an upgrade. He's too productive and too cheap to just dump.

Agreed that our most vulnerable back ups are Burke, McClellan, Ochefu, and McCcullough. These guys are basically just roster bodies. Burke will walk unless he signs for bottom dollar. Jennings is probably going to walk too, not because he's not important, but because we probably can't afford to keep him. That means Illmatic is right that back up PG is definitely our most important area to address this summer. McCullough, Ochefu, and McClellan aren't FAs though, so no decision necessarily needs to be made about them one way or the other.

Illmatic is right about Leonsis being one of the cap hawks during the CBA negotiations. But the truth is none of us have any idea how much luxury tax he's willing to spend because we've never been in this situation before. He might be willing to spend what it takes to keep the rotation together. Or he might not be willing to spend any tax at all. This is probably the biggest question we have going into the offseason.

Finally, Illmatic is also right about there being no truth to story about the rift between Wall and Beal. J Michael, the guy who first reported about it, is a moron. I don't know why any of us ever expected him to have the right read on any situation whatsoever.

Being the Wizards GM this summer will be boring. No first round pick and no cap room and most of the team under contract for next year. All that needs to be done is extend Otto, try to extend Bojan, and find a trustworthy back up PG.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#5 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:05 pm

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/4/12/15189632/washington-wizards-free-agency-nba-2017-otto-porter-washington-wizards

Sorting out the Wizards’ options in free agency for this upcoming offseason

The Wizards are going to have to spend lots of money to keep this team in tact. But where should it go?
by Tony East Apr 12, 2017, 9:40am EDT

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/4/12/15189632/washington-wizards-free-agency-nba-2017-otto-porter-washington-wizards

Anyone know if this is accurate information? I know nothing about the writer.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#6 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:29 am

I_Socrates wrote:With the Wizards - I'm in a bit of a predicament. I need your help in figuring out the overall direction the team will look to take this off-season. The problem is that I'm not sure it's set yet and that I believe it will depend on the results of these playoffs.

1) Which of the teams' FA's will be priorities (a pretty obvious one, but your input is better than mine since you guys are Wiz fans!)
3) Who is expendable?
8) What is the likelihood that the Wiz use assets to dump $ so they can sign KD if he says he's interested? (Pure hypothetical cause I can!)

Thank you all again for any help you provide - hopefully I can turn your Wizards into the fantasy champions :D.

Otto Porter is likely underrated across the league and slightly overrated here. But he is key to our core. He had a hot shooting streak to start the year, before teams stopped leaving him wide open. And he was left wide open a lot on dribble drive attacks from that lightning streak of a lead guard. The John Wall effect is real.

The key stat that illustrates Otto's utility is: all of them. He posts in every positive category, and better yet, shows trends of improvement over time, both here and in Georgetown. Otto is a gym rat and a grinder and the son of two basketball lifers. Its in his DNA, he never played AAU ball preferring to work in the gym and improve his game. He has a high basketball IQ and is an ideal fit with the core of this team. In addition our owner is a Georgetown alum and Otto is a good guy, high character guy. We will pay to retain him. Where does he fit with the squad: he's a prototypical SF. Long and rangy, hits outside shots when left alone, savvy in cuts to the basket he posts good offensive board numbers. Where he could stand to improve: strength, and any advanced go to move when actually guarded. In college he was alpha dog on his team but still never had a single dangerous move, just made smart plays. He's a glue guy. That's what this team needs from him since we have capable lead scorers in Wall and Beal. But it would be useful of he could co-captain the team when either of them is injured and not settle into a beta role.

John Wall and Bradley Beal both took a great leap forward this year under new coach Scott Brooks. And this figures to be what the team is banking on: continued player development. We want to see significant positive improvement from our young players. This is the best hope of this team sustaining growth. This year is a banner year draft year, and because of that many East Coast teams failed to try, future years may prove trickier. Without draft picks (no 1st rounder this year, and future 2nd rounders are gone as well) or significant assets to trade, we have to rely on development from within.

The player with the greatest upside of undeveloped talent is 2nd year utility wing Kelly Oubre. Kelly has proven a defensive difference maker, with his hustle and length and smooth fluid athleticism he has shown ability to guard players at the 1-4 spots. He only needs to develop his 3pt shot to be a reliable and viable player earning heavy PT. But the rest of his game has a long way to go to match his upside with his accomplishment. Or vice versa, whatever. Lacking minutes of playtime both in college and as a rookie what he needs most is live bullet exercises, in game experience. This year noted player development coach Scott Brooks has found ways to use him. And I expect with a taste of the playoffs he will dedicate himself over the summer to fixing flaws in his game and expanding what he does well. Because he will see minutes in the post season, for sure. Our small ball lineup with Oubre and Otto at forward (and either of Gortat or Morris in the middle) proved a tough puzzle to solve when we could afford to get away with it. Rangy long athletes at all wing positions meant on defense we could switch every pick and stifle any outside attack or prevent dribble drives. Oubre's development may eventually allow Otto to be dangled to a team that loves him, but for now we're keeping both, and are all the better for it.

So consider our core untouchables/untradeables to be: Wall, Beal, Otto, Oubre. Meaning they are worth more to this team than we would get in trade.

Our other key players: Marcin Gortat, Ian Mahinmi; Markieff Morris, and bizarrely Jason Smith.

CENTERS: Gortat is a pro's pro. Works hard in the gym, sets great screens to spring Beal and John for open shots. Even when his own numbers tapered off, he still has a positive effect on the squad. HIs numbers did trail off though, coinciding with the addition to the team of Ian Mahinmi this year. Mahinmi is one of the best back up centers in the league and due to the flooded market last year is actually earning more per year than Gortat, who plays ahead of them.

The team doesnt have to jettison either one to succeed. Its a luxury to have depth at the position, Mahinmi proving a more mobile and versatile defender, but Gortat being better at setting strong screens and has shown great chemistry with Wall on the pick and roll. But if ever the team had a chance to trade for a player they liked having redundancy at a position is a nice asset. In this case however Mahinmi has proven fragile over his career. Maybe he needs a nutritionist or yoga instructor or something since most of his issues seem to be muscular strains. This team can't rely on him to be out of street clothes all year.

PFs:

Markieff Morris is a good player when motivated and not distracted. Its no coincidence that our team's 17 game win streak went hand in hand with an uptick in every category from Morris, chiefly rebounding. Rebounding is a stat of focus and effort. Markieff can defend anyone when he cares to, but is often either undermotivated or taken off his game by irritation at the refs, etc. Here the leadership of John Wall and Scotty Brooks seemed to light a fire under him, or maybe he quit weed for a time, or stopped sulking that he wasnt playing with his twin, who knows. A motivated Kieff is the only way this team does any real damage in the playoffs. He's got the talent and fire, when it is channeled in positive directions. His one on one defense is often better than his team defense, and when he cares he plays well against teams that rely on perimeter bigs or strong SFs.

Motivation is not the shortfall of 7 foot forward and **** pogo stick Jason Smith. He is all over the place like a he forgot his ritalin. Has become a fan favorite for that. Blocking shots, jumping for boards, keeping active. Better still, this year Coach Brooks encouraged him to shoot from range if left alone on the perimeter, and he discovered he was pretty good at it. This baffles defenses who see this goofy dude bounding around and dropping it in from outside. No you are not going to spend a ton of defensive capital game planning to stop Jason Smith. But hey so far that's to our benefit. Where is is vulnerable and will not be a frontline player: he jumps at every pump fake trying to block everything. So he will foul, and foul and foul. But as a back up that's not a bad trait. Foul the bejeezeus out of them JSmit. Its fine, just don't let them score for free.

Pretty much everyone else is some degree of expendable.

Our owner has said he would only pay the lux tax of we were a real champion contender. But I dont see we are there yet. YES NO DOUBT if Durant got a ring and wanted to play back at home we would pay the heck outta any luxury tax. But he won't, doesnt want to, so no.

We dont have the room for him anyway, can't sign and trade Otto to make the room, for him, or for John Wall's best friend Boogie Cousins, we just cant easily make room this year. Really with Otto likely to get a sizeable contract we are looking at keeping the guys mentioned above and filling in the rest with whomever we already have under contract plus minimum players, maybe a decent MLE guy. Unless you can convince other owners that our talents are worth a package. That Cousins is too much of a headache and no great fit in NOLA, or that KD is equivalent to Beal alone or something. I just dont see you selling it.

No there is no rift between Wall and Beal. They sit together on the team plane, are out together often. The quote was misconstrued. Wall is blunt and more of a straight shooter than most players in any league, more honest than politic, and most often exactly right in his analysis. Tough to tell because he speaks in that high speed monotone drawl (never heard a southern drawl spoken that fast) but every coach he's had says he was the smartest player they have ever worked with. He said essentially ON THE COURT he and Beal sometimes didnt get long since they both wanted to take the shot, but as PG it was his job to iron that out, and figure out how they work best together. Then, as evidenced by the numbers he went ahead and did that very thing. Brad to his credit worked along with him. Now they are inarguably the best backcourt in the East, and in the discussion of best in the league. And only likely to get better.

Remember, John Wall attends women's basketball games and breaks down their film; this guy has nothing he likes to do more than watch basketball and think about basketball. As the game has begun to slow down for him he is adding new wrinkles to his game. He's had a career year this season but according to players who would know he's only going to get better.

Its not possible to replace either player easily but this team could stand to have a reliable uptempo combo guard who could back up either one. The pre injury Brandon Jennings would have been fine.

That's the basics of the squad. The rest is just details. Yeah it would be great to have a young two way talented Big who could run with our team. I'd love to pull Richaun Holmes away from the 6ers. But we have no great assets in trade right now. None that we want to trade, none that we would get fair value for, none that is worth more in return on investment than the value they have on this team.

BUt if you want fluff prose and stats demonstrating that Otto Porter is a league MVP candidate and one of the most highly efficient players in the history of nerdy analysis, or if you want footage and clips showing Kelly Oubre embarrassing LeBJ -- then we can probably supply with that, so you can make lopsided trades. They just likely wont come close in real life. For a while. Until Scotty Brooks can do for them what he clearly did for Westbrook and Ibaka: turn overlooked players into superstars. Because clearly that is all the result of Brooks' tutelage. No?
NashtyNas
RealGM

Post#7 » by NashtyNas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Thank you so much for the responses guys. The fact that the Wiz have historically been against paying the tax is frightening to me because to keep a competitive team around, they don't have much other choice.

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#8 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:16 pm

Wow, doc and Illmatic nailed it.

I'll give you the TL;DR version:

Any offer for Porter will be matched, and it's a real good bet the team will retain McClellan on his vet minimum contract since he's cheap, competent, and has upside. So the players under contract next year are:

PG Wall/Sato
SG Beal/McClellan
SF Porter/Oubre
PF Morris/Smith/McCullough
C Gortat/Mahinmi

The team will have about $31M in luxtax room minus the cost of Porter - so figure about $6-12M in luxtax room. They will have no effective cap room other than the MLE.

That really leaves only two decisions to make this offseason: how to fill the backup PG spot, and whether it makes sense to pursue one more free agent with the MLE (or with Bird Rights, in the case of Bojan).

Sato can play some PG, but it's not yet clear whether he'll pan out to be a SG, PG or combo guard. My guess is that management isn't comfortable with Sato as the sole backup PG and will try and find someone else. Jennings would be fine if he is cheap enough. They won't spend much to fill the position. After resolving PG, the question on Bojan (or another free agent) will probably come down to cost. If Porter and our PG were signed cheaper than expected, they'll probably go up to the luxtax limit to add one more veteran scorer. If Porter costs the full max and we spent more than the vet minimum on a backup PG, then I doubt they'll add anyone else.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 pm

I_Socrates wrote:Thank you so much for the responses guys. The fact that the Wiz have historically been against paying the tax is frightening to me because to keep a competitive team around, they don't have much other choice.

They can be good the next two years without paying the tax. They already have a core of 7 good players: the starters plus Oubre and Mahinmi. As long as they can find a competent third guard relatively cheaply, they're set. Those 8 guys plus a some cheap bench depth like Smith and Sato should be enough to win 50 games.

The problems come in Summer 2018. Wall will be up for a super max contract, Oubre is up for an extension, and Morris and Gortat (both underpaid for starters) come off the books.
NashtyNas
RealGM

Post#10 » by NashtyNas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:Thank you so much for the responses guys. The fact that the Wiz have historically been against paying the tax is frightening to me because to keep a competitive team around, they don't have much other choice.

They can be good the next two years without paying the tax. They already have a core of 7 good players: the starters plus Oubre and Mahinmi. As long as they can find a competent third guard relatively cheaply, they're set. Those 8 guys plus a some cheap bench depth like Smith and Sato should be enough to win 50 games.

The problems come in Summer 2018. Wall will be up for a super max contract, Oubre is up for an extension, and Morris and Gortat (both underpaid for starters) come off the books.

That's the problem - we're looking at this from a realistic perspective and according to how the current regime of the team operates. That's why I needed such input. If WAS has previously been unlikely to pay the tax, what's the likelihood of them doing so for an ECF team at best? (That's an actual question, not a rethorical one). In reality, I'll have to account for these things because the FO certainly would need to consider that signing Porter to what will essentially be the max will mean major tax issues going forward.

With no first round pick available, the bulk of the goal this offseason will be to retain FA's at the cheapest rates and find gems in the FA market or at the end of the 2nd. Then you have to consider whether this core is good enough to compete in the East going forward or whether you need to add a better PF for example.

I'm a Suns fan so I'm very familiar with Gortat and Morris... though Morris has looked lackluster for large parts of the season. I'm a HUGE Beal fan and I think the kid is extremely underrated. I'm just not sure Wall + Beal is a strong enough top 2 to topple LeBron any time soon... so does the FO consider blowing things up knowing the $ issues they will face keeping the team together?

I know the pick was traded for firepower so that likely suggests a direction of keeping the team together, but I'd love a diehard fan's input. Will a bad playoff performance change that direction dramatically? Does a good one make it certain that Porter sticks around regardless of cost? Is there any chance of moving one of the big 2?

EDIT: WOOPS. I completely missed your original response. That answers most if not all of my questions that I had after the initial responses. If you guys don't mind, I'll probably keep bugging you as we go along for some more input and/or feedback. All your help is greatly appreciated - hopefully I can turn the Wiz into a team you guys would enjoy watching even more!

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by nate33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:17 pm

I_Socrates wrote:
nate33 wrote:

That's the problem - we're looking at this from a realistic perspective and according to how the current regime of the team operates. That's why I needed such input. If WAS has previously been unlikely to pay the tax, what's the likelihood of them doing so for an ECF team at best? (That's an actual question, not a rethorical one). In reality, I'll have to account for these things because the FO certainly would need to consider that signing Porter to what will essentially be the max will mean major tax issues going forward.

I made a mistake in my prior post. We won't really have any serious cap problems until 2019, not 2018. 2019 is when Wall and Oubre are up for new contracts, and Gortat and Morris come off the books.

The cap situation will get tight for a while, but it's not an insurmountable problem. I expect that Ted would be willing to pay the luxtax for one year in a pinch. Also, by 2019, Porter should be capable of playing PF full time. So the 2019-20 season might feature Ted paying the luxtax for a year to hold together the core of Wall, Beal, Oubre, Porter and Mahinmi, even if we haven't added anybody good in the meantime. With Oubre entering his prime, and Wall, Beal and Porter at their respective peaks, that's still a 50 win team, if not better.

So that gets us 3 years down the road while staying highly competitive. In 2020, we would need to find a big man, but it's just too far down the road to really plan for. Who knows? By then, one of our draft picks from 2018 or 2019 might be ready. Or maybe we find the next Dewayne Dedmond in free agency or fleece someone in a trade for the next Jusuf Nurkic. It does seem like there is an abundance of big men these days, somebody could become available for cheap.

It might make sense for EG to frontload Porter's upcoming contract to prepare for 2019 and 2020, but EG has rarely shown that kind of foresight.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#12 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:13 am

nate33 wrote:Wow, doc and Illmatic nailed it.

I'll give you the TL;DR version:

Any offer for Porter will be matched, and it's a real good bet the team will retain McClellan on his vet minimum contract since he's cheap, competent, and has upside. So the players under contract next year are:

PG Wall/Sato
SG Beal/McClellan
SF Porter/Oubre
PF Morris/Smith/McCullough
C Gortat/Mahinmi

The team will have about $31M in luxtax room minus the cost of Porter - so figure about $6-12M in luxtax room. They will have no effective cap room other than the MLE.

That really leaves only two decisions to make this offseason: how to fill the backup PG spot, and whether it makes sense to pursue one more free agent with the MLE (or with Bird Rights, in the case of Bojan).

Sato can play some PG, but it's not yet clear whether he'll pan out to be a SG, PG or combo guard. My guess is that management isn't comfortable with Sato as the sole backup PG and will try and find someone else. Jennings would be fine if he is cheap enough. They won't spend much to fill the position. After resolving PG, the question on Bojan (or another free agent) will probably come down to cost. If Porter and our PG were signed cheaper than expected, they'll probably go up to the luxtax limit to add one more veteran scorer. If Porter costs the full max and we spent more than the vet minimum on a backup PG, then I doubt they'll add anyone else.

I_Socrates, just to add my own two cents worth to what doclinkin, Illmatic, and nate33 have said:

I expect the Wizards will have a decent playoff run. They'll bring back Bojanovic. (I think he's going to ball out in the playoffs, where scoring in isolation or getting to the line is rewarded.) I also think Jennings will be back (Likewise, I expect Jennings will prove to be a solid distributor. His shot's been so off I expect he finds his stroke in the playoffs. Just hunches with both UFA vets). Jennings might chase more money, so I could be wrong ...

Porter will be maxed out. Ernie Grunfeld won't even wait for others to offer. Otto's going to get paid. I think they have a good portion of the season to get under the tax, and the Wizards won't worry about resigning Porter if it puts them (temporarily) over the tax.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2017/ Right now, DX has the Wizards drafting a PG in round two, (Kobi Simmons of Arizona). I wish the Wizards still had their round one pick. My pick would be Jawun Evans, Oklahoma State. He's going to be a very good pro.

I would like to see the Wizards take looks at any/all of Nigel Williams Goss, Gonzaga (if he declares), Devonte Graham, Kansas (same), Edmond Sumner,Xavier, and, of course, Melo Trimble.

WHO SHOULD THEY DRAFT? Can't go wrong with Monte Morris, Iowa State (character issues notwithstanding). I like Frank Mason a lot, too; but he's got some of the same limitations guys like Trey Burke have. If SINDARIUS THORNWELL IS ON THE BOARD... DRAFT HIM. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Nigel Hayes is also a real good player if he's on the board when the Wizards select in round two. He can play some NBA PF.

Last, Derrick White, Colorado, seems like an EG kinda pick. Measurables look good. Not sure about the rest, but he passes the stats/eye test. Might be step slow and needs to get into top condition. He finishes through contact. He gives a real good effort on defense. I like the way he attacks the hoop and how he squares up on his shot. He is a scoring PG who will probably be a D-League player. I think he's an NBA player IF he can get in considerably better shape. He can be a Chauncey Billups-type at the next level, with more quickness/strength. He is intriguing.

What if the Wizards draft a PF (and it's not Hayes)? This kid is interesting at where the Wizards will draft ...

http://www.draftexpress.com/video/12423/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Kuzma-82886/

(*I like that both Monte Morris and Kyle Kuzma are both from Flint, MI. Draymond Green's hometown. I attended a year of college there at what is now called Kettering U. Guys from Flint know how to play.)

montestewart wrote:Good answer from Illmatic. Maybe Nate, Mojo, or Chocolate City Jordanaire have something to add. Not me.

Good luck brother.

Aloha, BK. (The above was posted with you in mind. Hope all is well in your world. I'm hangin' in there! :) )
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#13 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 am

I_Socrates wrote:I know, I know - not all of you guys are from DC but I thought it was a good way to introduce myself and ask for some help!
I am partaking in the off-season GM a team challenge over on the trade board and I got the Washington Wizards as my team.
Now I am generally familiar with most teams, how they're run, what they wish to accomplish in the short term and how they go about doing it.

With the Wizards - I'm in a bit of a predicament. I need your help in figuring out the overall direction the team will look to take this off-season. The problem is that I'm not sure it's set yet and that I believe it will depend on the results of these playoffs.

3) Who is expendable?

1-2. Porter is a priority; he will get a max contract. It's foolishness to believe otherwise. Here's hoping it's from us. Our other 3 free agents are Burke (restricted but has to go), Bogdanovic (not worth keeping except on a <$5m contract -- if even then) & Jennings (unrestricted, not worth keeping for more than $2-3m). We have a cheap option on Sheldon McClellan & should keep him. I wouldn't put it past Ernie to keep Ochefu as well.

3. Porter, Wall, Gortat & Beal were responsible for our season. Mahinmi is good as well, & he'll stay b/c his contract would be hard to trade. Oubre is on a rookie contract & has promise; no reason to trade him. McCullough is on a rookie contract & should get some rope. McClellan is cheap. Everyone else is either expendable or worse. But, we'll keep Satoransky (no trade value) & Smith (good 2d half of season). We'll sign a R2 pick, at least I hope we will. That would be 11 guys. Or 12 if Ochefu stays.

4. Start with starters -- we need to replace Markieff Morris. He's not a good player. We also need to upgrade b/u PF, backup SG, & backup PG. We will have little salary flexibility to do any of that by adding players.

For the rest: no tax, no retirements, no rift, no KD.

Core problem: we have $92m tied up in 9 guys for next year (Wall, Beal, Gortat, Mahinmi, Morris, Oubre, Satoransky, Smith & McCullough -- & a "stretch" payment to Martell Webster). Hence, how exactly will we be able to max Otto Porter. &, to follow up CCJ's speculation that we do keep Bojan & Brandon, how do we pay for them? We aren't going to pay tax, of that I feel sure.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#14 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 am

nate33 wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:
nate33 wrote:They can be good the next two years without paying the tax. They already have a core of 7 good players: the starters plus Oubre and Mahinmi. As long as they can find a competent third guard relatively cheaply, they're set. Those 8 guys plus a some cheap bench depth like Smith and Sato should be enough to win 50 games.

I made a mistake in my prior post. We won't really have any serious cap problems until 2019, not 2018. 2019 is when Wall and Oubre are up for new contracts, and Gortat and Morris come off the books.

The cap situation will get tight for a while, but it's not an insurmountable problem. I expect that Ted would be willing to pay the luxtax for one year in a pinch. Also, by 2019, Porter should be capable of playing PF full time. So the 2019-20 season might feature Ted paying the luxtax for a year to hold together the core of Wall, Beal, Oubre, Porter and Mahinmi, even if we haven't added anybody good in the meantime. With Oubre entering his prime, and Wall, Beal and Porter at their respective peaks, that's still a 50 win team, if not better.

So that gets us 3 years down the road while staying highly competitive. In 2020, we would need to find a big man, but it's just too far down the road to really plan for. Who knows? By then, one of our draft picks from 2018 or 2019 might be ready. Or maybe we find the next Dewayne Dedmond in free agency or fleece someone in a trade for the next Jusuf Nurkic. It does seem like there is an abundance of big men these days, somebody could become available for cheap.

It might make sense for EG to frontload Porter's upcoming contract to prepare for 2019 and 2020, but EG has rarely shown that kind of foresight.

Nate, I have some trouble following this, doubtless b/c of my limited understanding of the cap. Given http://www.basketballinsiders.com/washington-wizards-team-salary/ we have $91.9m in 9 players for next year. Assuming we retain McClellan (which I agree we should do), we can call it $93.2m for 10 guys. If Porter gets a max @ $22m+ next year, that's $115m for 11 players.

Roughly where will the cap fall for next year? Are we able to add 3 more players, & stay under the cap?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#15 » by J-Ves » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:01 am

I_Socrates wrote:I know, I know - not all of you guys are from DC but I thought it was a good way to introduce myself and ask for some help!

3) Who is expendable?

Porter

A lot, but it's not clear if they'd be willing to max him.

Bogey

Bogey because of his zero D and the fact the Wiz have Porter and Oubre at his position

My guess is zero

I don't think so

Seems like the rift was overblown by the media.

Close to 0%

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#16 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:33 am

payitforward wrote:Nate, I have some trouble following this, doubtless b/c of my limited understanding of the cap. Given http://www.basketballinsiders.com/washington-wizards-team-salary/ we have $91.9m in 9 players for next year. Assuming we retain McClellan (which I agree we should do), we can call it $93.2m for 10 guys. If Porter gets a max @ $22m+ next year, that's $115m for 11 players.

Roughly where will the cap fall for next year? Are we able to add 3 more players, & stay under the cap?

I'll have a proper reply in the trade thread with the Beal/Proer discussion tomorrow (I think), but on this point....

Wizards won't be under the cap under almost any circumstances, but they will be under the tax if the 3 players are cheap enough. Cap should be $101 million and the tax line should be $121 million according to recent projections.

Read on Twitter

One point I wanted to expand upon aside from the excellent contributions already laid out in this thread is the Wall-Beal 'beef' issue: It's totally and 100% fraudulent. Those two have been celebrating one another's good plays on the court this season time and again to where I really want to state that the reality is 100% the opposite of this storyline.

9 days ago:

3 days ago:

Celebrating Beal's game-clinching dunk 4 days ago:
Read on Twitter

If there was any problem, it was probably mostly just that the Wizards had a down year last year (with a sabotaged roster with guys that were expiring and not invested so much in the franchise's fate).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:15 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:

Nate, I have some trouble following this, doubtless b/c of my limited understanding of the cap. Given http://www.basketballinsiders.com/washington-wizards-team-salary/ we have $91.9m in 9 players for next year. Assuming we retain McClellan (which I agree we should do), we can call it $93.2m for 10 guys. If Porter gets a max @ $22m+ next year, that's $115m for 11 players.

The cap isn't the limiting factor, the luxtax threshold is. The cap next year will be $102M, give or take. The luxtax threshold should therefore be around $122M.

If we resign Porter and retain McClellan, we'll have a payroll somewhere between $110M and $117M, depending on the cost of Porter. That will leave us over the cap, but with $5-12M in luxtax room. We won't have any ordinary cap room to sign players, but we will still have the capacity to use exceptions. We could use the Bird Exception to resign Bojan, or we could use the MLE to sign someone else.

EDIT: or what Mojo said.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#18 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Nate, I have some trouble following this, doubtless b/c of my limited understanding of the cap. Given http://www.basketballinsiders.com/washington-wizards-team-salary/ we have $91.9m in 9 players for next year. Assuming we retain McClellan (which I agree we should do), we can call it $93.2m for 10 guys. If Porter gets a max @ $22m+ next year, that's $115m for 11 players.

The cap isn't the limiting factor, the luxtax threshold is. ...The luxtax threshold should therefore be around $122M.

If we resign Porter and retain McClellan, we'll have a payroll somewhere between $110M and $117M, depending on the cost of Porter. That will leave us over the cap, but with $5-12M in luxtax room. We won't have any ordinary cap room to sign players, but we will still have the capacity to use exceptions. We could use the Bird Exception to resign Bojan, or we could use the MLE to sign someone else.

EDIT: or what Mojo said.

Oh duh... thanks!

So, if we are @$115m for 11 players, we'll have $7m to use (via exceptions) to add 3 more players & reach 14. In that situation, the biggest needs would be for a backup PG & a backup SG. Assuming a mechanism can be found to acquire them, I'd say that's at least possible. Does make you gnash your teeth a bit, seeing Yogi Ferrell, Seth Curry, & a few other guys we were pointing at last off season.

The 3d spot might be filled by our R2 pick. That would be especially great if there was a big available who had some promise when our #51 spot comes around.

The current DR mock lists 3 bigs all of whose names start with K !! -- Kaba, Kuzma & Kornet. Maybe that's our lucky letter. Could also conceivably include AleKsandar VezenKov on that list?

Return to Washington Wizards