Ruzious wrote:I think the game helped make certain things clear on what needs to be improved.
Maybe start of a good thread or multiple threads - hope you don't mind me breaking it down.
I think we have part of a good core and really need to bolster the bench.
- So who is the core? In my mind it is Westbrook, Beal, Bertans, Avdija and Gafford. Bryant if he can come back healthy and the dreaded conversation about Rui if he can make the jump for a season.
Our backup guards are all journeymen, and we can't have 2 6' 180 lb guards limited players as our top backups. I love their effort and think all of them are great professionals, but they're simply not talented enough. We need personnel changes there.
- Add to that having 3 point guards on the floor early in the season and you can see why we were getting destroyed.
Our starting guards need to focus more on defense next season. We saw the lazy defensive plays by Beal even in the elimination game - which I thought was fundamentally disturbing about the team.
- I just don't see this being remedied. How do you change the behaviors of Beal/Westbrook? This is probably the biggest fundamental flaw on this team going forward, IMO.
Our young forward combo needs to stay healthy and improve on both ends - which will likely happen with experience and a better coaching staff.
- And they are young. Rui turns 23 next year, Avidja turns 20. I am going to assume that Bonga gets resigned and he will be 22. Add Hutchison who will be 25. And Bertans is only 28. But they are going to have to make a heck of a jump. Doable.
We need to be able to depend on Bertans being more consistent - assuming he's not traded - his offseason program needs to be monitored.
- So this. I guess Covid took its toll on the conditioning of the unit. Add Westbrook getting over his injury to that. But having Bertans coming into camp in shape would help tremendously. I will add Gafford to that list.
Overall, our defense has to improve, and our 3 point shooting needs to improve.
- I see defense as a problem given the lack of commitment by Westbrook and Beal to man D. I see the problem with our 3 point shooting being the weakness of Avdija & Rui to knock down open 3s. This is going to be troublesome, IMO.
Obviously, we need to do well in the draft and use the cap exceptions wisely. I probably left other things out, but I think all of the things I mentioned are doable and can make us a significantly better team next season.
First thing on the agenda is the coaching search. We saw what a difference Thibs made in NY. If we can find a similar type answer, that would check off item 1.
- And there is the elephant in the room. If Brooks returns - I don't think you see much progress. This is such a crucial decision.