F
No votes

Total votes: 28

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

2021 Offseason & Offseason Grades 

Post#1 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:I think the game helped make certain things clear on what needs to be improved.

Maybe start of a good thread or multiple threads - hope you don't mind me breaking it down.

I think we have part of a good core and really need to bolster the bench.
- So who is the core? In my mind it is Westbrook, Beal, Bertans, Avdija and Gafford. Bryant if he can come back healthy and the dreaded conversation about Rui if he can make the jump for a season.

Our backup guards are all journeymen, and we can't have 2 6' 180 lb guards limited players as our top backups. I love their effort and think all of them are great professionals, but they're simply not talented enough. We need personnel changes there.
- Add to that having 3 point guards on the floor early in the season and you can see why we were getting destroyed.

Our starting guards need to focus more on defense next season. We saw the lazy defensive plays by Beal even in the elimination game - which I thought was fundamentally disturbing about the team.
- I just don't see this being remedied. How do you change the behaviors of Beal/Westbrook? This is probably the biggest fundamental flaw on this team going forward, IMO.

Our young forward combo needs to stay healthy and improve on both ends - which will likely happen with experience and a better coaching staff.
- And they are young. Rui turns 23 next year, Avidja turns 20. I am going to assume that Bonga gets resigned and he will be 22. Add Hutchison who will be 25. And Bertans is only 28. But they are going to have to make a heck of a jump. Doable.

We need to be able to depend on Bertans being more consistent - assuming he's not traded - his offseason program needs to be monitored.
- So this. I guess Covid took its toll on the conditioning of the unit. Add Westbrook getting over his injury to that. But having Bertans coming into camp in shape would help tremendously. I will add Gafford to that list.

Overall, our defense has to improve, and our 3 point shooting needs to improve.
- I see defense as a problem given the lack of commitment by Westbrook and Beal to man D. I see the problem with our 3 point shooting being the weakness of Avdija & Rui to knock down open 3s. This is going to be troublesome, IMO.

Obviously, we need to do well in the draft and use the cap exceptions wisely. I probably left other things out, but I think all of the things I mentioned are doable and can make us a significantly better team next season.

First thing on the agenda is the coaching search. We saw what a difference Thibs made in NY. If we can find a similar type answer, that would check off item 1.
- And there is the elephant in the room. If Brooks returns - I don't think you see much progress. This is such a crucial decision.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Re: 2021 Offseason 

Post#2 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:20 pm

Promote Brooks to head basketball inflater and go from there
In Rizzo we trust
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#3 » by Eli Babak » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:58 pm

1) Will Ujiri or someone else come here or will Tommy stay in charge?

2) Who is the head coach? No way Brooks returns. If he does, I'll not watch a single Wiz game next year. I'm so tired of him.

3) Beal's contract: he can opt out next year. If he doesn't sign an extension now, I'd trade him rather than wait for trade deadline or a 1st or 2nd round exit next year. They're not gonna win the title with this core, but if Beal signs a new deal they can figure things out in 2022 or 2023 (when Westbrick expires and Bricktans has only 1-2 years left (his deal has that weird clause)).
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#4 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:10 pm

Sheppard gives me optimism.

Grunfeld would fire Brooks and sign Mark Jackson and draft Ziaire Williams. Probably use the MLE on Vince Carter and tell us that Thomas Bryant is in the best shape of his life thanks to the rehab.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#5 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:34 pm

That just gave me flash backs lol .
NatP4 wrote:Sheppard gives me optimism.

Grunfeld would fire Brooks and sign Mark Jackson and draft Ziaire Williams. Probably use the MLE on Vince Carter and tell us that Thomas Bryant is in the best shape of his life thanks to the rehab.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#6 » by smoothSeph » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Tommy talking the talk.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:59 pm

smoothSeph wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Tommy talking the talk.

All positive and hopeful words, goals. How we get there should be interesting.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:02 pm

smoothSeph wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Tommy talking the talk.

These are comments we never heard from Ernest Grunfeld. I like it.

Btw, what is Ern doing these days?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#9 » by TGW » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:16 pm

Sounds pretty bold for a guy who hasn't put together a team that's reached .500 yet. Let's see moves that actually translates into wins, Tommy.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#10 » by Frichuela » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#11 » by Tyrone Messby » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:32 pm

Wow I can’t wait to see what over the hill vet we sign to get us over the hump. Thank you Mr. Ted, you’re so generous!!

This organization is clueless. We need to break it all up.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#12 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:43 pm

That Tommy is focusing on players rather than a coach is not a good thing IMO. Of course we don't know what is happening behind the scenes.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#13 » by Frichuela » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Would this mean anything? Hard to say…
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#14 » by smoothSeph » Thu Jun 3, 2021 3:48 pm

Frichuela wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter

Beal compiled his list and is ready to make demands :lol:
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#15 » by NatP4 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 4:17 pm

Frichuela wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Probably occurs with every player on the roster.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#16 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:05 pm

Eli Babak wrote:1) Will Ujiri or someone else come here or will Tommy stay in charge?...

This is a false dichotomy. Masai Ujiri is not a "General Manager."

It would be better to ask will Ujiri come here or will Ted Leonsis stay in charge?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#17 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:30 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:Wow I can’t wait to see what over the hill vet we sign to get us over the hump. Thank you Mr. Ted, you’re so generous!!

Say goodbye to our 1st round pick....
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM

Post#18 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:37 pm

dckingsfan wrote:So who is the core? In my mind it is Westbrook, Beal, Bertans, Avdija and Gafford. Bryant if he can come back healthy and the dreaded conversation about Rui if he can make the jump for a season. ...

A "core" is not just "the best players." A core has to be able to move forward through some years.

In that sense, how can the 32 year old Westbrook & the 20 year old Avdija both be part of "the core?"

Westbrook as the central piece of that "core" means "win now." & that's not "win a title now," it's get the most you can out of having the guy next year & the year after.

I worry that's going to motivate Tommy to make a big mistake & sign an expensive veteran.

As to Bertans, he's not at the core of anything whatever. He's an overpaid, single-skill player. He's a problem not the answer to a problem. That doesn't mean he can't help you sometimes; it's not a criticism of him, just of the decision to re-sign him for all that $$ & all those years. & that mistake too makes me worry about Tommy doubling down by signing an expensive veteran.

In short, I see this team as reflecting two completely opposite strategies. The first is to develop a new core via the draft & being opportunistic. That core can be grown around Brad Beal; he is not too old for that. It's a plan oriented around the future.

The other strategy is to get the most we can right now out of Russ & Brad. Sacrifice anything to maximize the benefit of having those two guys for the next couple of years.

I don't like that 2d strategy.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#19 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:40 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:Wow I can’t wait to see what over the hill vet we sign to get us over the hump. Thank you Mr. Ted, you’re so generous!!

Say goodbye to our 1st round pick....

If we trade our pick, I will stop being a Wizards fan.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#20 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:57 pm

payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:So who is the core? In my mind it is Westbrook, Beal, Bertans, Avdija and Gafford. Bryant if he can come back healthy and the dreaded conversation about Rui if he can make the jump for a season. ...

A "core" is not just "the best players." A core has to be able to move forward through some years.

In that sense, how can the 32 year old Westbrook & the 20 year old Avdija both be part of "the core?"

Westbrook as the central piece of that "core" means "win now." & that's not "win a title now," it's get the most you can out of having the guy next year & the year after.

I worry that's going to motivate Tommy to make a big mistake & sign an expensive veteran.

As to Bertans, he's not at the core of anything whatever. He's an overpaid, single-skill player. He's a problem not the answer to a problem. That doesn't mean he can't help you sometimes; it's not a criticism of him, just of the decision to re-sign him for all that $$ & all those years. & that mistake too makes me worry about Tommy doubling down by signing an expensive veteran.

In short, I see this team as reflecting two completely opposite strategies. The first is to develop a new core via the draft & being opportunistic. That core can be grown around Brad Beal; he is not too old for that. It's a plan oriented around the future.

The other strategy is to get the most we can right now out of Russ & Brad. Sacrifice anything to maximize the benefit of having those two guys for the next couple of years.

I don't like that 2d strategy.

You are getting at the core of the question and the follow-on strategy (or vice versa). I hope this discussion die in an excruciating discussion of incidental detail but on the big picture.

Strategy: What is your plan of action to move forward and what tactics are acceptable to do so to build your roster. (One could argue you should go after your coach first and then recruit toward the offensive and defensive schemes that could would run).

Core: Who are the players that you take forward both short-term and long-term. (I would argue that you have a short-term and long-term core given that it takes time to get where you want to be. But a counter to this is never look at the short-term rather keep your eye on the goal: a championship).

So, I would argue that there is a short-term core and a long-term core. Would you agree with that? If so, break down your short-term and long-term core groups.

Return to Washington Wizards