ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 423

Re: 99 Problems: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread 

Post#821 » by Rays Pompadour » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:42 pm

wilson115 wrote:Jesus so we're back to where we started now? Good lord.

Well, I guess PJ's agent was banking on the ownership change loosening the purse strings. Me grasping at straws here.

Until the Hornets shake up the front office, the situation won't change. The only thing that may be happening is that the new owners could have given Kupchak greater financial latitude to make a deal, but that doesn't mean Kupchak will actually use the extra cash.

Mitch seems to be a principled dude (boring as that is in the fantasy world), so if he's decided on a top figure for Washington, then that's the situation that won't change. And right now, there's no reason for Kupchak to make a deal unless Washington plays ball within Kupchak's numerical framework. And Washington would be foolish to move forward now and lose leverage. Plus, Washington hasn't signed the QO, so the game is still being played.

Again, meh. Washington's not a starter. He's important and core, but he won't start. I'm guessing they'll find a way to make it work, later than sooner. Meanwhile, you're right - the message board is right back where it started.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,950

Post#822 » by Diop » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:45 pm

feels like an offseason where players and front offices are clashing a fair bit, could be worse we could have a Harden type being a royal pain in the ass
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,254

Post#823 » by JMAC3 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:00 am

Chapelchilla wrote:Would not offer $20 million per at all.
He probably hit his career highs last season and caps out at pretty good. Like Rozier. A bit short for his position and the whole Instagram babydaddy stuff does not make me think he is irreplaceable from a character perspective.
4/60 to 70 TOPS.

Still feel the same way about it. PJ isn't worth 20 million, but for the Hornets it doesn't really matter. Whether he takes 15 or 20 million annually it doesn't massively swing us into a new cap space situation, it also doesn't put us anywhere near the tax. If we go to trade PJ in 2 years I don't think he will massively be valued differently if he is making 15 or 19 million per year. We are really probably being cheap, but at the same time it is in PJ best interest to play ball and take what he can while his value is at its peak.

I think 17 AAV is pretty easy win for both sides. Small market teams are always going to have to pay more to retain their talent compared to contenders/big markets.

He is still probably a better player then we can sign in FA for the same amount of money next offseason. Free Agency is never going to be the way we become a contender. Better off hoping we can match salaries in a trade.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#824 » by Bassman » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:21 am

Maybe James Hardin is fed up enough to accept a trade to CLT, and show the world just how valuable he is to building an immediate contender. S&T PJ plus Rozier for Hardin…that should do it.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,204

Post#825 » by SWedd523 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:27 am

PJ isn't worth 20, so if that's where he's stuck at then I'm happy they aren't budging.

I don't care if they have $5mil in space, $10mil, $20mil, or $100mil. It's irrelevant. He's not worth what he (allegedly) wants.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#826 » by Rich4114 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:06 pm

I've always viewed PJ as our starting 4, but it's evident the plan is he comes off the bench. I really don't think they should be making long-term decisions on PJ based on Hayward being on the roster this season, Miles and the uncertainty that exists there and Miller who is more of a wing than a PF type player. But if their ultimate plan is to play Miles at the 4 and Miller at the 3, then I get it. The biggest thing is you don't want to give him a contract that makes him untradable. That was the issue with the last time we started paying guys. MKG, Batum, Marvin, Cody... those were all albatross contracts for the most part and kept us and poor Kemba stuck on the treadmill until they expired.
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#827 » by JMAC3 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:43 pm

SWedd523 wrote:PJ isn't worth 20, so if that's where he's stuck at then I'm happy they aren't budging.

I don't care if they have $5mil in space, $10mil, $20mil, or $100mil. It's irrelevant. He's not worth what he (allegedly) wants.

If we have 5 million more in cap space what is that going to accomplish?
We didn't even spend our MLE money which is 7.7 million.
It isn't your money.

I agree it is not a great practice to overpay every single player, but sometimes we really freak out over such a small difference. If Terry made 18 instead of 23 this year it really changes nothing. It is the same with PJ.
Big Board
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,262

Post#828 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:15 am

JMAC3 wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:PJ isn't worth 20, so if that's where he's stuck at then I'm happy they aren't budging.

It isn't your money.

I agree it is not a great practice to overpay every single player, but sometimes we really freak out over such a small difference. If Terry made 18 instead of 23 this year it really changes nothing. It is the same with PJ.

It's not just about our cap sheet, it's how that extra $5 million also affects other teams caps and his perceived value as a trade asset.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#829 » by Diop » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:48 am

what if we start at $20 and make it declining? what does that look like?

Edit: if I'm right 20, 18.5, 17.1, 15.8 which is about $71 mill over 4 years. Would that be a happy medium where he gets his ego stroked with the 20, but its actually about 17.8 per year but easier for us to trade as the years go on?

I'm sure they probably want him cheaper but you have to pay a little higher to get declining annual pay
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,307

Post#830 » by amcoolio » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:25 am

JMAC3 wrote:

It isn't your money.

Strongly disagree, every dollar matters now to teams in the tax. Rozier much easier to trade at 18. PJ would be too.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
JMAC3
RealGM

Post#831 » by JMAC3 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:43 pm

amcoolio wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

It isn't your money.

Strongly disagree, every dollar matters now to teams in the tax. Rozier much easier to trade at 18. PJ would be too.

I disagree. I just don't think teams care that much about a few million.
If Fournier made 14 million I don't think teams are dying to trade for him.
Same with Lou Dort the other way, if he made 19/20 he would still have roughly the same value.
Same with Hunter/Dinwiddie/Poeltl- teams aren't losing their mind if they made 15 instead of 20. Their value is pretty much the same.
Big Board
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#832 » by Diop » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:17 am

JMAC3 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
It isn't your money.

I disagree. I just don't think teams care that much about a few million.
If Fournier made 14 million I don't think teams are dying to trade for him.
Same with Lou Dort the other way, if he made 19/20 he would still have roughly the same value.
Same with Hunter/Dinwiddie/Poeltl- teams aren't losing their mind if they made 15 instead of 20. Their value is pretty much the same.

luxury tax teams would disagree, every million makes a difference to them
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#833 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:56 pm

PJ is reportedly hanging out for $20 million per year.

He's getting horrible advice from his agent. If he's not careful he'll have a Nerlens Noel "bet on yourself"/Latrell Spreewell "gotta feed my family" humbling and end up accepting significantly less money overall.

He'll be lucky to get $17 million per year next year with a diminished role after accepting the QO this year.

There's no one left that can pay him anywhere near what he wants this offseason except us.

He needs to humble himself and quickly accept the $15-$17 million per year that I'm assuming we put on the table for him.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#834 » by Diop » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:11 am

i'm sticking with my declining $ idea, surely the front office have some power to negotiate for it now
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#835 » by HornetJail » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:56 am

Diop wrote:i'm sticking with my declining $ idea, surely the front office have some power to negotiate for it now

I would have no real issues with 4/70 starting around $20M and moving down, not like cap space this season matters at all... that's too much critical thought for this front office tho
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,701

Post#836 » by yosemiteben » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:47 am

I doubt PJs agent wants a declining contract when the cap is supposed to spike during the life of the contract
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#837 » by Diop » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:27 am

Lower the $ expectations then, that’s why there is a standoff
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#838 » by luciano-davidwesley » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:38 am

Hypothetically if PJ accepts the QO we are 20 million under the cap and can take full/partial salary dumps for picks and promising players. It's an awful scenario and unlikely to occur but that cap space is a small silver lining.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#839 » by Rich4114 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:58 pm

PJ has a timer on his IG story that ends in 4 days
DSM346
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#840 » by DSM346 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:04 pm

Rich4114 wrote:PJ has a timer on his IG story that ends in 4 days